Author Topic: Things you may stumble opon in the Nevernever  (Read 5751 times)

Offline Blechpirat

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • FATE Deutschland!
Things you may stumble opon in the Nevernever
« on: September 09, 2011, 11:43:58 AM »
I would love to create something close to a Nevernever Encounter Table here. So please help and drop all the cool places and and encounters you created or can think of in this thread!

Some examples:

A shack where a young practicioner keeps his arcane writings and his playboy collection
A bridge with a troll
a troop of drunk ogres
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 04:58:54 PM by Blechpirat »

Offline Guldor

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Things you may stumble opon in the Nevernever
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2011, 11:58:25 AM »
A tall and slender tower, inhabited by a fae sorceress, who collects Humans as servants and playthings.
Some lonely coniferous forest with thick undergrowth and a permanently creepy howling wind between the branches.
A beautiful meadow full of flowers and some pixies, who are prancing around.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2011, 12:12:52 PM »
A 'forest' of standing stones which move along the sandy ground in odd patterns.

The steep cliffs of a rocky mountain with a constant wind howling over the peak...at least you hope the howling is caused by wind...

A plain filled with glassily sharp edged grass colored a translucent greenish gray.  In the center of the plain stands a lone tree with reddish orange leaves an a black trunk.  Wind through the grass causes a tinkling, as if glasses were lightly knocking together.  When it hits the tree, the wind causes a slightly deeper chiming of rusty iron chimes.
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2011, 12:36:23 PM »
An old, long forgotten temple of some ancient god where in the real world, something toatally different is standing in meantime.
An Inn where fae and ghosts liek to go for a drink.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2011, 12:47:54 PM »
An old, long forgotten temple of some ancient god where in the real world, something toatally different is standing in meantime.

I like to think that places like that tend to "coincidentally" be sites of McDonald's restaurants...
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2011, 12:51:17 PM »
I like to think that places like that tend to "coincidentally" be sites of McDonald's restaurants...

That's it! ;D
I was planning sucha  temple in my campaign and was thinking of it's "real world" equivalent. Problem solved... :D

Offline Blechpirat

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • FATE Deutschland!
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2011, 04:41:52 PM »
A group of ninjas (how else would ninjas be able to travel so silent and unseen?)

Offline Quasispike

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2011, 05:20:51 PM »
Here's a few from the my game

Pond of the Pixie Princess
Theme: Rest & Respite
Aspect: Cool Waters; Tranquility
A tranquil pond surrounded by tall willow like trees that are always in flower and bear a succulent red fruit from their long dangling branches. Pixies dance in and out of the branches of the trees. The Pond is the throne of the Pixie Princess Navi.

Twisted Tree
Threat: Ajna birds… Lots and lots of them. (Think malevolent psychic ravens that eat magic)
A filthy looking stream gurgles across a desolate wasteland. A single old twisted oak rises from the desolate banks; covered in black leaves… no not leaves, birds red eyed black birds.

The Thorned Maze
Theme: On the Dagger's Edge
Aspect: Perilous Paths; Dead Ends
Deep in the NeverNever there is a Labyrinth of Glass Roses; the paths are narrow and twisting, the footing unsure one, wrong step and into the thorns you tumble

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 09:42:38 PM »
Dinosaurs.

WoD (World of Darkness) werewolves.

Batman

Superheroes...
(click to show/hide)

Dragons

Santa

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 09:52:04 PM »
The Thorned Maze
Theme: On the Dagger's Edge
Aspect: Perilous Paths; Dead Ends
Deep in the NeverNever there is a Labyrinth of Glass Roses; the paths are narrow and twisting, the footing unsure one, wrong step and into the thorns you tumble

A Locke Lamora fan, huh?  :)

Offline Blechpirat

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • FATE Deutschland!
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2011, 09:58:22 AM »
Great stuff! Keep on posting.

Pond of the Pixie Princess
Theme: Rest & Respite
Aspect: Cool Waters; Tranquility
A tranquil pond surrounded by tall willow like trees that are always in flower and bear a succulent red fruit from their long dangling branches. Pixies dance in and out of the branches of the trees. The Pond is the throne of the Pixie Princess Navi.

That's the perfect format, but I also love the one sentence ideas!

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2011, 01:36:03 PM »
The river Lethe... I remember Terry Pratchett writing something along the lines of "It turns out it's quite easy to find, but most explorers find themselves thirsty having found it."

Or the ever-famous Fountain of Doubt.

But yeah- there's lots of stuff referenced in mythology that could become a plotline unto itself.

Spoiler (but only if you're one of my players):
(click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 01:37:38 PM by ARedthorn »

Offline Wyrdrune

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2011, 09:04:13 AM »
when my player group travelled to sweden via the nevernever they got to bridge where three (four, but that's a secret) half-alves (basically half-breed svartalves) were guarding the bridge. as it turned out the three (four, but that's a secret) were sent to the bridge by their relatives because they were a little bit retarded (in a jar-jar binks way).

think of little (around 20 centimetres of height) viking marauders, of which one has the power to speak to snails, an other has an uncanny power to let small pebbles fall from the sky (so small they don't do any damage), one has the power to breath fire and the fourth is invisible (but that's a secret).

after a little talk they decided to stay with one of the player chars and followed him home.

(got the idea from martinez' "a nameless witch".)
-
on another occasion they found a spire made of obsidian or a similiar black stone with strange markings on it. nobody was able to decipher the writings.
-
next i am planning a very serious and deadly version of peter pan. a changeling kidnapping children and bringing them to neverland. (inspired from the blurp of broms "the child thief", haven't read the book.)
-
my second player troupe found shamballa/xanadu at the end of the current campaign, where they fought the campaign's master villain who was a direct descendant of genghis and kublai khan.
-
and the first group was at the ginnungagap when one of them was tricked by the norse god loki.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2011, 05:05:15 PM »
I ran a session where the PCs traveled to Hades to toss a malicious artifact into the River Lethe so it would be erased from all memory.  Feel free to steal liberally.

Warning!  These next thoughts were spun off of Pbartender's latest post in my Cyberpunk thread as well as me playing Space Marine and rekindling thoughts of 40K.  They're not so much places as weird-ass ramblings, but it is about the shape of the NeverNever and how it can be used so I felt here was an appropriate place.

First off is this insane idea of blending augmented reality, the NeverNever, personality uploads, spirits, and AI.  The more I think about it the more I see this analogy between the virtual and the spirit.  I don't know, I know it's not coherent, but:

- Fae courts as AIs, or vice versa.  Entities that are unspeakably powerful on their home turf and bound to their word/code, slaves to their nature without free will.
- Spirit travel: You open a rift/connection to the NeverNeverWeb, leave your dumbshell body, do your business in the spiritWWW, and download into the same shell or maybe you travel through from nnn.chicago to nnn.london and download into a new body to meet with your troll contacts in meatspace.

It's got a lot of Shadowrun to it, and it's not canon or probably even usable in any existing game, but I'm seeing this weird Blade Runner technomagic future.  Maybe it's after some magical apocalypse/singularity, maybe it's all just a simulation.  Whether it's magic or tech or not doesn't matter anymore, it's just all boiled down to "abilities that are greater than what we can do ourselves".  I see it as a sleek, warm, but ultimately uncaring place.  Jaded in the face of miracles.

If you're still with me, this next barrage of musings should be a little more coherent.  It might have even already been espoused in some long-dark thread buried aeons ago, but here goes.  All this kind of came together in my head when I was playing Space Marine and a boss critter walks out of the Warp with a host of demons like Cowl and his überghouls.

- I've always scoffed at Mab, etc. whenever they talk themselves up as these forces of nature, etc.  Yes, they are plot devices and such, but Earth is a tiny, tiny fish in a very large sea.  What we think of as the NeverNever is only like our "local" space.  I think some of this came from an old thread about someone having a player unfamiliar with the Dresden Files wanting to play an honest-to-goodness alien.  Humanity brings its own conceits and perceptions wherever it treads, and if we, say, went to Mars and crossed into the NeverNever there, it would necessarily be somewhat tinged by what we think of the red planet.  But before human robots ever touched down on Martian soil, perhaps its spirit world was quite different than what we can imagine.  Perhaps Queen Mab is a lot of talk, and there are other indescribable things out there.  Depending on how you want to look at it, maybe Outsiders are simply from these extraterrestrial NeverNevers.  Or not.  They work just as well existing outside the typical physical/spirit world structure.

- So the NeverNever is the Warp from Warhammer 40K.  Even taken locally, there are so many good analogies:

- Travel through both can be quicker than any physical travel, but it is fraught with danger even if you know where you're going.  Knowledge of the Ways is like having a Navigator; Harry's
(click to show/hide)
like having the Astronomican.

- There are things that tempt and corrupt humanity's minds; Chaos powers map nicely to Denarians.

- 40K is science fantasy anyways, so a lot of the setting shares common roots with elves and orcs and wizards/psykers and all that.  But imagine if you will, traveling farther into the NeverNever than ever before.  My mind goes to crazy science fantasy/pulp sci-fi much more readily than straight fantasy, so I think of Flash Gordon and eldritch rocketships flying through purple skies.  Swords and SMGs against alien dinosaurs inside hollow spheres.  I also think of Event Horizon and deadly black hellgates.

I just had to spew this stuff into words somewhere before it got jumbled beyond all comprehension.  :)