Author Topic: Dresden-esque Wizard Needs "De-Dresdenizing"  (Read 4510 times)

NicholasQuinn

Dresden-esque Wizard Needs "De-Dresdenizing"
« on: September 08, 2011, 05:37:30 PM »
So, I'm an avid fan of the Dresden Files - and have been RPG'ing a few years, and also greatly enjoy the Dresden Files rpg. So, the problem. When the Child Wizard of my mind is born, I generally feel he's "Too Dresden".

• Spirit magic is my favourite element fluff wise, something about Invisible Shields/Strikes of Energy just appeals to me.
  • There is a reason Fire magic is used by so many Wardens against the Forces of Darkness; it works. Why wouldn't a wizard use such a potent tool?
  • I've liked longcoats long before reading the book, and it just seems to make more sense then a necklace for a defensive enchanted item.
  • Again, the .44 Magnum took its place as my favourite gun long before reading the serries.
  • Even in life I believe Chivalry, and general politeness is important.
  • Dark pasts make for awesome characters. Lawbreaking is ripe for story.

Okay... you can see where this is going. When I make the Perfect Wizard To Play, well, it seems to much of a carbon copy of Dresden. That isn't a bad thing, there is a reason I like Dresden so much - but such a copy could never do him justice, and would seem lame by comparison.

I usually have no problems creating characters completely different to the characters of the serries, or that of other serries, and I can create my own ideas with relative ease. Playing RPGs for a while, as well as writing various pieces of original writing for personal enjoyment have helped with this. However making a character I'd enjoy to play, and empathise with, as much as possible, I find my ideas already used. {Maybe I've been subconciously molded by reading the serries, its entirely possible}

Thus, I have to cut off some of my ideas/mold them. For example:

• Spirit magic can stay, Fire magic will come ONLY from an enchanted Zippo Lighter. - Still doesn't feel as cool as conjuring Fire from my fingertips, but hey, compromises.
  • Trenchcoats are different enough to Dusters for that to change slightly. Or come up with a completely different item, for instance a Pendent/Necklace. However I can't think of a cool way for it to stop harm - at least one I like.
  • Go for an old Webbley revolver, that perhaps belonged to the character's ancestor from the World War. Doesn't have quite the awesoness factor, but works.
  • One personality similarity doesn't necessarily make a similar character. This is the least of the problems, and I think I can add enough differences.
  • I intend to break the law in play, as opposed to as part of the background. Thus bringing its consequences to the fore-front. It still seems the 1st law will make for the most likely.

So... Why am I making this thread?

I was just wondering if anyone else has/was experiencing something similar? What advice anyone can give me? Does it really matter if there are similarities? Any neat ideas for the above bullet points, that might help me? Basically, anything people like to comment on...

Cheers!

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Dresden-esque Wizard Needs "De-Dresdenizing"
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 06:12:37 PM »
Hm.  Here would be my ideas, in roughly reverse order of your bullet points:

1: Pick a different Law - and, potentially, aim for the shades-of-grey areas rather than actual lawbreaker territory.  Consider, for example, a paleontologist with a bit of necromancy - who got into that not as a path to power, but as a means of asking "What did this creature look like / act like?"  It's not technically lawbreaking, because it doesn't involve humans, but it could certainly lead to some of the same temptations / warden problems.

2: This seems different enough from Dresden right here.  Since when has Harry valued politeness?  Normally he's mouthing off to everything in sight.

3: My personal gun knowledge is what I can find on wikipedia, so just picking the same choice of handgun isn't a similarity I'd even think about.  That said, see also point 5a.

4: Clothing works fairly well here; my tendency is to use either clothing or some form of luck charm.
  a: Consider someone with an enchanted business suit, for example - it makes as much sense as a long coat, and suddenly gives the character a very different feel.
  b: Another sensible direction to go is to layer enchantments on top of real armor (which you then use the long coat to conceal so you don't get funny looks from the police).
  c: Or you could even pick up a cheap Item of Power - one character I made had an iron-scaled snake-skin leotard made from the hide of a long-dead daemon.  +1 for concealability, +3 from some reasonable catch (cold / ice in that particular example), and you can get, say, Inhuman Toughness & Recovery plus Echoes of the Beast, all for a single refresh.  And you can still make it an enchanted item, too.

5: Fire is useful, yes.  But there are a lot of ways to use it differently from Dresden.
  a: Consider, for example, what would change if, instead of a blasting rod, you used an antique flintlock pistol (say, one of the really decorative ones with the dragon-mouth at the front and whatnot).
  b: Or consider how it'd work if you used fire as your primary defensive element, burning or melting incoming physical projectiles, blocking magical attacks with purifying flames, and causing melee attackers to flinch away from the searing heat of your shields.
  c: Or consider a caster whose primary focus is on the metaphorical uses of fire, rather than direct physical applications.  Such a character might well be dancing on the edge of the fourth law of magic, using spells that inspire or infuriate or inflame passions... but, like the love potion from Storm Front, never quite strip away free will... really, I swear, please don't kill me Mr. Warden...

6: Again, I'd probably pick out a thing or two that made my approach to Spirit different from Dresden's.  On the other hand, by the time we get here, that may not even be needed; a few similarities are certainly acceptable.  Possibly just not having the same brute thug approach to magic would be good enough - if you don't need to buy off a compel every time you use a veil and want to see out, for example, that's a fairly notable difference right there.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 06:17:17 PM by wyvern »

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 07:04:40 PM »
If you pick something and change it just because it is too close to Dresden, you might end up with a character that is "Dresden just with X instead of Y", which would be almost as bad, I suppose.

Maybe the best thing is to go the "Why does he have/do things?", instead of "What does he have/do?" A long coat makes perfect sense in colder weather, so why not wear one? Harry got his duster from Susan, what is your characters coat's story? Maybe he has some bad experience with fire, so he isn't comfortable with summoning fire from his hands. Makes perfect sense to use a tool then, as you already said. Same with the gun. Harry uses it, just because it is a heavy gun for big holes. Maybe your character uses it mostly for sentimental value, maybe someone he used to work with gave it to him in the field, where he died.

Two characters that seem identical at first can differ greatly, once you learn their story. Maybe that could be a way to go for you?
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

NicholasQuinn

« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 07:34:28 PM »
See, I knew asking here would help with/solve my concerns.

Hm.  Here would be my ideas, in roughly reverse order of your bullet points:
......{Snip}...... Consider, for example, what would change if, instead of a blasting rod, you used an antique flintlock pistol (say, one of the really decorative ones with the dragon-mouth at the front and whatnot) ......{Snip}......

Awesome ideas all around, I will say the bit I've left in I found especially cool, thank you for sharing.

......{Snip}......Maybe the best thing is to go the "Why does he have/do things?", instead of "What does he have/do?"......{Snip}......

Some very good advice to keep in mind here. The alternative perspective you offer is, I think, the way I should go about it. Much appreciated.

Thank you both again; with the suggestions you've offered I should be able to come up with something to my liking, you've both been a great help.

P.S. The snipping isn't to highlight the bits I found most useful, but to instead limit how much space my reply takes up (it need not take up much). It was all useful. ^^

Offline Magickal_Grenadier

• Participant
  • Oh, what fresh hell is this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:36:40 PM »
I basicly took a few of the aspect of Harry that I like best and applied them to my character; both orphans, both skilled at Evocation (though levels in the different elements is different) and they're both too dumb to know when to keep their mouths shut. However after that, I took a different approach. While my character also uses Spirit, Air and Fire for Evocation, he focoses more on the less disasterous effects of Air and Spirit to incapacitate targets and Illusion magic to disorient and confuse his opponents for the element of surprise.
My Dresden Files purity rating is 43%

Duct tape is like the Force. It has a light side, a dark side and it binds the universe together

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:49:26 PM »
Awesome ideas all around, I will say the bit I've left in I found especially cool, thank you for sharing.
Glad you found my post useful.  Related to that particular idea, here's another one to think about: potions need not be literal potions.  So, for example, you could spend a potion slot on a special magical "bullet" that does, well, really just about whatever.

I'd also be interested in seeing whatever character you end up with in the end.

Offline Radijs

• Conversationalist
  • Fhtagn-Didley!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 07:51:38 PM »
Cool gun:

As far as the coat:
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 08:00:35 PM »
With respect to implements and trappings for your wizard, much of it in my view would really depend on your character's story, and the how/why of things.

Take Harry for instance.  Harry uses fire in part due to it being a cleansing element, but also due to its destructive potential.  Despite how much Harry uses it, he isn't really good with it, i.e. "The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault..."  However, he has proven very destructively effective with it, again see previous... 

Things like Harry's coat, blasting rod, staff, revolver (.38 Special, .357 Magnum or .44 Magnum at one point or another) or even the Blue Beetle, don't really define who/what Harry is.  Namely a young (for a wizard) and very 'brawny' magically talented man, with more power than he has control.

To better distinguish your character, you might want to make sure that he has more control than power, or perhaps matches.  You might play the character so that they use their magic less directly than Harry does, especially if your main strength is in Spirit magic.  Imagine instead of casting a force blast at an opponent during a fight in a warehouse, you cast a Veil, bending light completely around a shipping container in the warehouse.  Then when one of the baddies ends up running full tilt (to attack or escape...) into the formerly invisible shipping container...  That from my perspective would have an entirely different sort of narrative feel blasting away at things with Forzare!

As for changing around the equipment and trappings...  You can, but often you'll still end up with very similar things, in part because certain combinations just work together and make sense.

Having a handgun just makes sense.  They are (usually) easy to conceal, not dependent on magic (no Law of Magic breaking...) and can deal lethal damage.  Whether you go for a pistol or a revolver, or something even more old school like a flintlock, is largely a question of story.

Have some sort of long, covering outer garment, be it a duster, a trench coat, a cape or perhaps even a cloak...  Again that makes sense since they can provide protection from the weather and cover things which people carry on their person.  Like holsters and sheathes.

Something to possibly make more use of than Harry has in the story, would be having your character have a sword, or a sword-cane.  Harry has (or used to have...) a sword-cane, apart from bringing it with him in part of Storm Front, and occasional mentions in later case files, he hasn't done much with it.  You might want 'accessorize' your wizard with a sword and/or a sword-cane.  In fact, a sword-cane might well serve as a replacement focus item for a staff and/or a blasting rod. 

Depending on the whole motif one is going for, you could end up with a 'proper' English gentleman-wizard, dressed in a conservative business suit with a trench coat, antique pocket watch (hey, it will still tell the time) and hanky in a pocket and a fashionable cane.

Hope all these ideas help.

-Cheers
Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2011, 08:29:27 PM »
For a long coat, you might also consider a "great coat" or "watch coat"...  Essentially a knee-length version of a pea coat made of wool that you often see worn by military personnel in formal-ish, but cold or wet, situations.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 09:06:28 PM »
One big way to keep it from being too Dresden-esk would be to make him less of a Brute Force type of caster.  You could take him more in an Elaine direction, for lack of a better description, who uses increased awareness, mental distractions, etc for defense, rather than the Armor and Big Wall type.  She defiantly trends more to the spirit/mental aspect, from what we've seen, and that could be tons of fun to explore.  Or just make him more about precision than power.  In regards to a defensive item, I have always liked, but never had a chance to use, a shield that wasn't a solid wall, but rather several moving objects that orbit the character and move to parry/deflect/intercept attacks.  Imagine if instead of his shield bracelet creating a force field, it detached and physically levitated the tiny shields which then darted around to knock bullets out of the air.  Or maybe a crystal that would turn to a swirling sand cloud, and coalesce just in time to deflect blows (which is more Gaara than anything ill admit, if you have ever seen naruto). 
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Richard_Chilton

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 04:55:30 AM »
A big way to be different is to choose different focus items.  Avoid rods and staffs and replace them with...  virtually anything.
- jewelery: bracelets, amulets, rings, brooches, wristwatch, pinky ring, toe ring, "other" ring (one of many that you couldn't show in polite company), hair pin, tie pin, cuff links, charm bracelets where each charm is a potion like device (not really a focus item but I was on a roll).
- weapon: brass knuckles, lucky knife, old fashion pistol
- clothing: magic shoes, belt buckle, hat

Name an item that someone can carry and it can be a focus for evocation.  It's that simple.  Yes, there are sized based limits, but if you're carrying a gentleman's walking stick (c. 1880s) then you aren't looking or acting like "I have a Staff and Rod" Harry.

If you really want to be different, pick a motif and run with it.  Harry is "Destructive Film Noir Detective Wizard".  How about "Gentleman Adventure Wizard", "Scholarly Researching Wizard", "Drunken, Almost Burned Out Wizard", "Lady's Man Wizard", "Wealthy Hedonist Wizard", "Cowardly Bookworm Wizard", "Lawbreaker Wizard Who Is This Close to Losing It", "Hot Shot, Thinks He Knows It All Wizard", "Wise Adviser Wizard", "Lazy, Hates to Leave His Couch Wizard", "If It's Not One of the Big Seven Then I Can Do It Criminal-Wizard"- the list is endless.

Every wizard on that list is a different type of wizard.  All of them would probably have the same powers (maybe hurling different elements) but none of them are Harry ripoffs.

Once you have a motif then make rotes that will fit it.  Mechanically a spirit rote that is a blast is a spirit rote that is a blast - so add colour to its description.  Pick items that fit the motif.  Develop commonly cast rites that fit the motif.  For example, the "Lady's Man Wizard" might have rite that gives him the social Aspect "Everyone's Crazy For The Well Dress Man" for the night while the "Gentleman Adventure Wizard" might have one that gives the aspect "The Picture of Dignified Elegance".  Mechanically both would be tagged in social situation to get a +2 but stylistically they are very different.

But if you want to play a PI listed as Wizard in the phone book, then you're stepping on Harry's motif and you'll have to live with the similarities.

Richard

Offline The Mighty Buzzard

• Posty McPostington
  • Unemployed in Greenland
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 07:20:16 AM »
Gun: Desert Eagle .50 cal.  If that's not a weapon:3 pistol, there's no such thing.  Or, go with a classic and do the Colt Peacemaker.  Or a Luger that someone brought home from WWII.

Don't sweat a trench coat or duster.  Harry likely started wearing one for the same reasons Spike, The Doctor, Selene, Blade, and plenty of others did; they look badass and they're good for hiding things under.  It's not ripping off his look if he ripped it off from someone else.

You could also go to the extreme to differentiate yourself and wear a hat.

Violence is like duct tape.  If it doesn't solve the problem, you didn't use enough.

My web based NPC formatter, output suitable for copy/paste to boards and wiki, can be found here.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 01:26:23 PM »
Don't sweat a trench coat or duster.  Harry likely started wearing one for the same reasons Spike, The Doctor, Selene, Blade, and plenty of others did; they look badass and they're good for hiding things under.  It's not ripping off his look if he ripped it off from someone else.

Highlander!

This actually reminds me of something...  A while back, I ran across a semi-magical noir coat in one an RPG I can't remember -- Spycraft, Cyberpunk or Shadowrun, maybe?  Anyway, the coat was a long trench coat of any color or design you desire, but it contained an "extra-dimensional" pocket large enough to hold and hide a single object about the same size and shape as a sword or shotgun.  The pockets also always -- no matter what -- contained a half pack of cigarettes, a lighter, and exact change for cab fare.

Something like that might be a little more interesting variation on the coat, rather than the usual "magically armored" version.

Offline JediDresden

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 03:26:15 PM »
This thread brings up a subject I have wondered about myself.  We are getting ready to start a campaign in Hawaii, not much use for a duster/ long coat (except during the rainy season i guess).  I was thinking of an enchanted Hawaiian shirt for my wizard character, he is a transplanted cowboy from the south - so I did go with the coyboy hat. 

Any other ideas for a more tropical local?

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2011, 03:34:33 PM »
Sandals are good, and leave plenty of Greek/Roman themes open, if you choose.  Have the cowboy switch to a cowboy shaped but otherwise straw/woven hat, would fit in well enough.  Anything with an ocean theme basically works; how close to surfer are you willing to left your cowboy look?
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain