Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 149093 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Edumacation
« Reply #30 on: September 03, 2011, 02:50:34 AM »
I agree with that, there is nothing wrong with choosing other paths.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: September 03, 2011, 03:04:21 AM »
Ive got a Bachelor's in Culinary Arts with my associates in the same field and just because you have not gone to college is not a bad thing. I am only the second person to graduate from college in my family and they have all done fine. Experience and determination make up a large portion of what makes a person. I have met some really dumb people with bachelors degrees going for masters and then i have met people with a GED who make me think some of my professors were idiots by comparison.

Indeed!  One of my undergrad classmates was one of the smartest people I've ever known, but struggled to graduate with a 2.0--he had a 1.4 average freshman and sophomore years, but he was seriously one of the smartest people I've met.
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: September 03, 2011, 04:27:53 AM »
Ive got a Bachelor's in Culinary Arts with my associates in the same field and just because you have not gone to college is not a bad thing. I am only the second person to graduate from college in my family and they have all done fine. Experience and determination make up a large portion of what makes a person. I have met some really dumb people with bachelors degrees going for masters and then i have met people with a GED who make me think some of my professors were idiots by comparison.
Yep. I have met some really useless people with degrees from Harvard. Higher education these days is more about the ability to pay for it than it is about academic ability. Its how you use your education that matters.

Looking back, I might have chosen a different path but that doesn't mean I would be any happier or more successful. Follow your interest and passion- higher education or not.
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: September 03, 2011, 04:30:11 AM »
Yep. I have met some really useless people with degrees from Harvard. Higher education these days is more about the ability to pay for it than it is about academic ability. Its how you use your education that matters.

Well, not everywhere. Here many people has to pay for an education because they can't have good grades at the public university.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Madd

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: September 03, 2011, 06:33:51 AM »

Looking back, I might have chosen a different path but that doesn't mean I would be any happier or more successful. Follow your interest and passion- higher education or not.

Lord, you can say that again.  I get looked down upon because A)  I went to a state university, not an Ivy League school, and B)  I'm getting an APPLIED science degree.  /gasp, I'm not purely academic?  I MUST BE USELESS!!!

Never mind that I'm more skilled in the lab than 90% of your average chemistry post docs, and also have the benefit of a couple years experience in industry, as well as being cross trained in biotechnological skill sets.  Snobby SOBs.......

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: September 03, 2011, 02:37:20 PM »
Bachelor of Arts in Primary Education and English with Qualified Teacher Status.
Which I don't use.

I've always been more of a jack of all trades, although I do wish I knew more about cars.

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2011, 03:45:31 PM »
Lord, you can say that again.  I get looked down upon because A)  I went to a state university, not an Ivy League school, and B)  I'm getting an APPLIED science degree.  /gasp, I'm not purely academic?  I MUST BE USELESS!!!

Never mind that I'm more skilled in the lab than 90% of your average chemistry post docs, and also have the benefit of a couple years experience in industry, as well as being cross trained in biotechnological skill sets.  Snobby SOBs.......

You should have seen the look on the chair of my committee's face when I told him that I was going to industry.
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline k9doc95

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: September 03, 2011, 05:25:59 PM »
I've got an AB in Chemistry and a doctorate in Veterinary Medicine and board certification in small animal emergency and critical care medicine.

I am the first person on both sides of my family to earn a doctorate.

My dad (he died in 1995 on my last day of Vet school) was the smartest person I ever met. He finished high school.

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: September 03, 2011, 06:26:23 PM »
I have a doctorate in Snarkology.  ;D
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: September 03, 2011, 06:54:34 PM »

Psshh!  I am the Chair Emeritus of the School of Snarkology at Snark University, the school consistently ranked #1 in the global snarktastic ratings!
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: September 03, 2011, 06:56:01 PM »

So you studied under Shecky then?  After all, he is the professor of snarkology.

Offline Shecky

• Warden
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 03, 2011, 08:30:09 PM »
So you studied under Shecky then?  After all, he is the professor of snarkology.

Paynesgrey is Dean Demeritus of the college. And Habu's school is online-only - while good, there's nothing that replaces face-to-face snarksperience.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: September 03, 2011, 10:08:30 PM »
Paynesgrey is Dean Demeritus of the college. And Habu's school is online-only - while good, there's nothing that replaces face-to-face snarksperience.

Can I sign up?  :D

I'm a college freshman, undeclared major but leaning towards Engineering.  Definitely something math/science/computer science/engineering, since my school doesn't offer anything else.   ::)
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: September 04, 2011, 07:47:53 AM »
I agree with that, there is nothing wrong with choosing other paths.

I agree with that also. Nothing wrong with that :)

I'm a college freshman, undeclared major but leaning towards Engineering.  Definitely something math/science/computer science/engineering, since my school doesn't offer anything else.   ::)

I can already imagine you building mechanical zombies 8)
Seriously very impressive Parth. I'm sure you will kick a** in college.
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 04, 2011, 10:44:36 AM »
We could all be accused of being students of the online university of snarkology.