Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 147747 times)

Offline Mandey Moo

• Posty McPostington
  • Accio Darren Criss! <3
    • View Profile
    • Mah Tumblr
Re: Edumacation
« Reply #15 on: September 02, 2011, 04:08:28 PM »
I was going to school for nursing, that was put on hold when we started our family though. I've been concentrating on my writing since I've been home, so not sure if I will go back to school or not.
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka."

http://mandeyfin.tumblr.com/

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 02, 2011, 04:14:48 PM »
My choice of majors in college story was an interesting one.  I went to a military college and for years had wanted to go into the military upon graduation (after three years of trying to get in, I finally gave up, due to medical reasons).  I started out as an electrical engineering major, but as a member of the honors program at the school was put into honors calculus.  I had rocked algebra and trig in highschool, but only did middlingly well in calculus, so I was in WAY over my head with honors calc.  After realizing that I'd have to take years of honors calc, I dropped engineering...and switched to political science.  Picked up criminal justice my second semester in school, then picked up history as my third major spring of my sophomore year.

...And then realized at the end of my junior year that there weren't any real job opportunities that I was interested in in any of those fields.  So, throwing it all to the wind upon graduation, I was a swim coach for two years, then got an MBA and am now an IT/financial management contractor.  Four years of taking 24 hours a semester and having zero life down the drain, in terms of how they have benefited me in the professional world.  Well, I take that back--I wrote a LOT for those three majors, so I'm pretty proficient at writing these days.

Go figure.
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Mandey Moo

• Posty McPostington
  • Accio Darren Criss! <3
    • View Profile
    • Mah Tumblr
« Reply #17 on: September 02, 2011, 04:17:03 PM »
My husband has been bugging me to write a book for years. I have a bad habit of starting things and not finishing them. =/
"Laugh whenever you can. Keeps you from killing yourself when things are bad. That and vodka."

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 02, 2011, 04:32:20 PM »
My husband has been bugging me to write a book for years. I have a bad habit of starting things and not finishing them. =/

Me too!  Over the past 10-12 years, I've started at least eight different books, and am toying with my latest idea now.  I've also written a few short stories (including one unintentionally hilariously bad one from when I was 11).

One of my favorite classes I took in college was an honors English class during my sophomore year--we had the option of writing our 12 page minimum term papers as creative writing or standard writing.  I went the creative route and ended up writing a 36 page short story.  That was when I realized I like writing fiction a lot.
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."

Offline Mandey Moo

• Posty McPostington
  • Accio Darren Criss! <3
    • View Profile
    • Mah Tumblr
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2011, 04:34:26 PM »
It is fun, I write a lot of fanfiction, which helps me practice writing and building story lines. Eventually I get there, can't rush the creative process. I have been working on building characters for a new original idea of mine though.

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2011, 04:38:38 PM »
Trying to rope this back into the topic of the thread, I've toyed off and on with the idea of getting a grad degree in creative writing, or fiction writing, or whatever the particular name of the degree is.

As I said, I really enjoy writing, but my writing has matured a great deal on its own, due to the sheer amount of fiction and non fiction writing I've done over the past seven or eight years, for school or for pleasure.  Not sure if I'd benefit a significant enough amount from going to grad school for it to justify getting that degree.

Offline Katty

• Posty McPostington
  • Never been perfect. But neither have you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2011, 04:42:16 PM »
Bachelor of Arts in both Economics and Government.  Was about one class away from a philosophy minor, but I really didn't want to take intro.

After several years working as a systems analyst, went back and got an MBA in Management Information Systems and Decision Sciences.  And promptly got a job in a finance group.  LOL.
"No one gets to their heaven without a fight." - Neil Peart

"I'm going to hell for that bit.  And I'm taking all of you with me." - Denis Leary

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2011, 07:25:39 PM »
*Ears Droop* Yesh...I feel outclassed here -_- ...
I have a High School Diploma and about 2 years of college under my Belt, until I faild out -_- . I wasen't Happy in the Major I was takeing, and my dumb Ass Advisor Screwed up and put me into a Class I had already taken and passed once already, but still, that did not feel good -_- . So now, I'm working at a Job, trying to get my student loans payed off, only one more to go, and trying to save up money so I can go Back and get a Degree in what I want to do.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2011, 08:27:11 PM »
I feel outclassed too Otlan.  Hey at least you're paying off your student loans - I understand that a lot of people don't even try.  What subject do you want to major in.
I have an AA in Commerical Art and am a sorta master of esoteric info.  Weird facts seem to stick to the roof of my brain. ;D ;D

Offline Otlan

• Seriously?
  • Screw your courage to the sticking place...
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2011, 08:36:48 PM »
I feel outclassed too Otlan.  Hey at least you're paying off your student loans - I understand that a lot of people don't even try.  What subject do you want to major in.
I have an AA in Commerical Art and am a sorta master of esoteric info.  Weird facts seem to stick to the roof of my brain. ;D ;D

Diddo on the Weird facts. I'm a Treasure trove of Useless Information n_n.
We can be outclassed together then Snow n_n.
I want to go into Game Desighen, Since they're the only things I'm actually any good at n_n.
A Couple of days after I faild, I got a job and started paying them back. I decided I was one of these people who didn't want to sit around the house and be a bum all day. Once I started to get some of my coffidince back, I decided I wanted to go back to college and try again.
Rest Well Mdodd, and Please Watch over Us...

Relinquo spes totus ye quisnam penetro hic...

Strong like bull, smart like tractor, smooth like brick - smell like goat!

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2011, 12:53:50 AM »
Good for you and more power to you.
I want to go back to college too and get some computer courses under my belt.
Particularly Photoshop.

Offline Fyrchick

• Posty McPostington
  • Overkill is Underrated.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2011, 02:18:00 AM »
Hmm...
I went to College as as a Political Science/Russian major and was graduated with a B.A. degree in Studio Art with a concentration in Classics. (Weird!) Since then I have gotten a lot of certifications in various things. My Paramedic certification is about 1400 classroom hours (Basic EMT to Medic) which is the equivalent of a Bachelors in terms of time. Add in the other topical certifications and I have at least another A.A. degree. I teach a few things, but mostly concentrate on various aspects of trauma life support.  I am also currently working on grant writing but plan on a Masters in Public Health/EMS Research at some point in the next decade. Hopefully.  :o
When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.

Offline Doroga's Cousin

• Needs A Life
  • Not sure if Correct
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2011, 02:27:50 AM »
I have...none of these.

But that might be because I'm fifteen. :D
Is it just me or is it getting a little solipsistic in here?

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2011, 02:40:07 AM »
BA in Biology (with a focus in molecular plant biology) with minors in French and "ancient studies," which was essentially some mythology classes.  MS in Biology, again focus in molecular plant biology.  That one was supposed to be a PhD, but I got pushed out under some less than happy circumstances, so I totally get the sentiment on not getting the PhD.

I'm going to be taking some extension classes starting this fall to get an additional certification in bioinformatics and computer programming, specifically for biology.

"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline sensaijman

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 02:43:29 AM »
Ive got a Bachelor's in Culinary Arts with my associates in the same field and just because you have not gone to college is not a bad thing. I am only the second person to graduate from college in my family and they have all done fine. Experience and determination make up a large portion of what makes a person. I have met some really dumb people with bachelors degrees going for masters and then i have met people with a GED who make me think some of my professors were idiots by comparison.