Author Topic: Edumacation And Enlearnment  (Read 150096 times)

Offline Warden John Marcone

• Seriously?
  • Shooting first and Cracking wise
    • View Profile
    • My Facebook
Re: Edumacation And Enlearnment
« Reply #90 on: September 11, 2011, 09:42:42 PM »
You forgot your liquor license.  ;)

Nah.  I've tried various liquors and the only one that appeals to me is Wine.
The moribund equine has been more than sufficiently flagellated.

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 12, 2011, 06:15:53 AM »
I am also one of those folks who have a high school diploma.  (Circumstances arose that I had to go to work right out of high school, and take care of my Mom, who was ill, so I was the breadwinner!)

I signed up for ever OTJ my employer offered, but most of what I know I learned from books, and people who were kind enough to let me watch them work.  That means that I have (as many of you have witnessed) a bizarre and eclectic skill set!
My enlearnment is dear to me, and something I value highly!  And it just keeps coming!  I would be a ridiculously high point character if you rolled me up!

Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Mishell

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 12, 2011, 01:49:03 PM »
College dropout here!  Continually self-educated though.  Also, a graduate of the Clarion writing workshop!

Offline Franziska

• Conversationalist
  • fortuna imperatrix mundi
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 12, 2011, 02:02:00 PM »
I've got a Ph.D in Italian Language and Literature and a Master in Latin Language and Literature. Plus, a Cambridge Certificate of Proficiency in English. Plus, a BD in Social Research. I love languages and I'm trying to learn as many as I can.
Fama di loro il mondo esser non lassa/misericordia e giustizia li sdegna/non ragioniam di lor, ma guarda e passa

Offline ahra

• Conversationalist
  • Yes it can and it will get worse
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 13, 2011, 08:17:39 PM »
 have a nursing degree & management( total waste of time , but work paid for it ). also have done the first year of my masters but don't have the will to finish it off . Would love to  go back and do something completely different but working full time it is just too bloody hard   

Offline OnlyElise

• Posty McPostington
  • Beware the Tiny Dancing Flower Person!
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 14, 2011, 03:58:40 AM »
Holy cats... there is a lot of money spent on higher education on this forum!  :D  lol

I have an Associates in Photography, an Associates in Multimedia Technology, and a Bachelors in Marketing Management.
She Who Must Be Obeyed. Or at least catered to, occasionally.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 14, 2011, 04:01:10 AM »
Holy cats... there is a lot of money spent on higher education on this forum!  :D  lol

Luckily for me, that is not my case.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 14, 2011, 04:57:33 AM »
Shecky's right, I got my AA in written Journalism, however all my experience has gotten me jobs writing for newspapers above those who have Masters and Bachelors degrees in the same field, because I started writing for various papers, etc long before I graduated and they put that towards my credit when looking for a reporter. 

I started college in 1975, Sept, and finally graduated in 1993, but that doesn't mean Im a failure, not by a long ways.  During that time I married, raised 2 kids, founded an organization that built the largest accessible/integrated and most accessible/integrated playground in the world (May, 1993-completion), and during that time helped raise over $160,000.00 towards the building of the playground which has become the model for accessible playgrounds world-wide.  It's won 7 awards (national/state/local) and I, myself was chosen as 1 of 3 people from WI for People Magazine's All-Stars Among Us in 2010. 

This is the site for our playground, something that I did all the speeches, media for which was built with 2,700-3,000 volunteers and with the amount of donations we received is worth over $600,000.00.  http://camdenplayground.tripod.com/MAINPAGE/index.html

Ok, so there you go, you don't need a Bachelor's degree or a Masters degree...all you need is inspiration to go places, and I'm proof of that. :)
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Warden
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 14, 2011, 06:08:39 AM »
Yay!  Alilisa has a good point!  We also need to revel in all our accomplishments, as well!  Not all those can be measured in dollars, either!   

Many of you know that Threshold, my BFF, rescues and socializes feral kittens.  There are no degrees or public accolades that go with that, but if you measure the improvement in each small creatures life, and in the love brought to a new human family when she rehomes them?  How can you place a dollar amount on that?

So many people on this forum help other people out, do good when and where ever than can! 
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 14, 2011, 07:32:45 AM »
Pay it forward.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: September 14, 2011, 08:45:25 AM »
I knew you were a Journalist Alilisa and that you were awesome. But you are even more awesome than I thought, very impressive and gret work Ali! :)
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 14, 2011, 05:54:51 PM »
Thank you, Howl, ((Howl)), if not for my nephew who has special needs, this never would have happened. Just an example of how you take what seems to be bad and turn it into good.  The playground opened the doors for people like my nephew, allowing them more freedom then ever though, plus it's allowed those who normally wouldn't be around children/adults with special needs to grab that opportunity, thus eliminating the prejudism which existed.  That's what happened in our city and it's wonderful!

You're right, SL, pay it forward.  For any good done to or for you, pass it on, and sooner or later it'll move like a wave. 

It costs nothing and hey even a smile can make a huge difference in whether or not someone ends their life, you could be an unspoken hero and not even know it.  So like SL said, pay it forward, it's well worth it, and the sense of knowing you helped someone is far more valuable then any notice for what you'd done.
I believe in True Love, Susan and Harry will always be the one true love, because even reminders of that love will always remain.

"(Love) It lingers on in the energy of their lives, even when they are apart." (Blood Rites)

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 14, 2011, 07:20:01 PM »
Wow Alilisa, what you did is so amazing  :D :D I want to hug you now more than ever, and I ever want to  :D
I was in the website, but I have to tell you, I hate the blue letters against the blue sky. But I'll promise I will read it when I arrive home.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Alilisa

• Posty McPostington
  • True love never dies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 14, 2011, 08:09:56 PM »
:D I tried it with black against the blue and had others complain because it "didn't blend", I'm like geesh....but I changed it and they liked it so that's what I ended up with.  :)  thank you, I really loved doing something for my nephew (which is what it started out to be, so he could enjoy the playground like my kids and his brothers. 

To see him just stand there and laugh, clapping his hands watching, just wasn't fair. And then I thought of the parents with special needs who hadn't been able to take their own kids to the park for a day, and the elderly who needed a place to get away from nursing homes, etc...and that's the result.)

I'd gotten a call from a woman who'd taken her young daughter (her daughter was in a wheelchair) to the park and the daughter went between the horizontal bars (placed at wheelchair width), and for the first time in her life, stood up from her wheelchair and took several steps.  She'd never before done that, and then we got a letter from a guy who'd taken his son up on the ramping system and until that time, never realized his own child had never been that far up off the ground in the open like that.  He loved it.  It's stories like that which make you know that you've accomplished something wonderful.  My own nephew, Camden, actually said "swing" when he went into the playground, the first time he'd ever said that word in his life, and he was 18 at the time.)

Whoa, I really ramble on, I could talk forever about the playground, it has gone far beyond what we expected, to have models worldwide is amazing.  Thank you again, Dina ((Dina)) Hug away ;D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 14, 2011, 08:21:29 PM »
You have every right to ramble  :). You did a wonderful job and "listening" to you makes one wish to do something for people with that problems. ((Ali))
Missing you, Md