Author Topic: campaign idea  (Read 1611 times)

Offline Theodore Rockwell

• Participant
    • View Profile
campaign idea
« on: August 28, 2011, 12:24:06 AM »
Im trying to come up with some ideas for a campaign and so far the best one i have is set in New Orleans.  The threat is that all the water from katrina washed away some pretty ancient native american magic that was keeping something asleep.  It has been asleep long enough that it is waking up slowly, so stuff doesnt go to shit right away, but with a power level that big becoming active, it is attracting a lot of smaller "fish".  Of course, all this is sort of difficult to sort out with all the other creepys that have moved in to feed on the after math of the devastation. 

Thats pretty much all I have at the moment.  Any thoughts or suggestions?  I am considering pitching it to the group next session and see what they think of a game set in New Orleans.  If they like then we will do city creation and all that fun stuff.  So I have a good couple of weeks to get the ground work set.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
Re: campaign idea
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 02:26:42 AM »
To bounce a few ideas your way...

Obvious: Voodoo, Hoodoo (There's a difference, check it out online, and maybe watch the movie "The Skeleton Key"), Zombies

Slightly less obvious: Weregators, Swamp Monsters, Corrupted water and earth elementals

Obscure: New Orleans has a LOT of history, including ties to Piracy and the Slave trade. There are hideyholes and little bits of history tucked into the landscape, and there have GOT to be ghosts aplenty with secrets to share in Dresdenverse New Orleans.

Hope this helps out.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline CaptFisher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 02:30:17 AM »
So you have allmost hit upon the plot of our current NO campaign,

We added to it by having the white council banned from NO in the accords (the wardens swords risked freeing IT

Two of our city aspects are "bound desire" and "we're on our own out here"

NO has lots of cemetarys so ghosts...
Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist, children know that monsters exist.
Fairy tales teach children that monsters, can be slain.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 07:55:57 AM »
Hm...I have personally only been to NO once, but had a good time and loved the feel of the place.  And I didnt even have a chance to check out any cemeteries.  Im thinking of giving the big bad ties to both the native americans and the slaves or slave trade, so if it is a bad "thing" it would be really bad, or it could be something not so just really strong and angry.  hm...sounds like i have convinced myself to do the New Orleans campaign.  Now I just need to flesh out the over all arc.

Offline ARedthorn

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2011, 12:37:31 AM »
Another useful side effect of katrina... NO might be heavily contested by the summer and winter courts (rampant growth and decay aspects, specifically).

Also, in NO, it'll be a lot harder to pick the supernatural out from the merely weird... you're gonna have a lot of supernatural threats that blend in more easily, a lot more minor talents than almost anywhere else, and a /lot/ of norms who look like they might be one of the other two.

Offline CaptFisher

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2011, 12:46:11 AM »
NO is also of course famous for Mardis Gras...after Katrina a point was made to have it in the middle of the recovery....in our game it is an important tantric ritual...everybody leaves with a few minor mental or social consequences...if those are used to power something HUGE!!!
Fairy tales don't teach children that monsters exist, children know that monsters exist.
Fairy tales teach children that monsters, can be slain.

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2011, 04:59:50 AM »
Thanks everyone.  These have been some great ideas.  New question now, anyone know where to get a decent map of New Orleans i can print for my group?  Doesnt need to be terribly detailed, just enough so i can mark the major landmarks and neighborhoods since none of us are terribly familiar with the place.

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 08:39:08 PM »
Have you checked their tourism bureau? That'd be a good place to start.

http://www.neworleansonline.com/

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2011, 01:49:29 AM »
Tourism bureau seems obvious now.  I'm definately going to be frequenting here with questions for my campaign since up till now my experience is mostly as a player with d20 systems. 

I was thinking of having as a sub plot going on that some faerie hiding from the winter court in NO, and Katrina was Mab trying to get at said faerie.  I just need a reason for Mab to be hunting that seriously after another faerie.