Author Topic: An "How To" FAQ?  (Read 2558 times)

Offline Ona

• Participant
    • View Profile
An "How To" FAQ?
« on: August 27, 2011, 02:11:19 PM »
Hi All,

Sorry to bother you with stupid stuff like this...  but I don't understand how to use the quote button - never mind a bunch of of other options when I post.  (Like what on earth is "Toggle View")

Is there a FAQ already in existence to explain how things work here?  (I've searched and searched and can't find one).

If there's not, I guess my most important question is how do I insert quotes from multiple posters in my responses.  I read the thread about the "new" quote button - it came up on Search.  Does that mean I hit quote to get the automatic HTML and then go back and cut and paste into it?

Sorry again for bothering you busy and wonderful people with such a silly question.  If there is a FAQ, just send me the link.

Thanks ever so,

Ona

Offline Enjorous

• Seriously?
  • Prince of the Gutter since 2010
    • View Profile
Re: An "How To" FAQ?
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2011, 03:39:37 PM »
The easiest way to quote multiple people is to either use the quick reply function, or open each post you wish to copy into a new tab.
Kentucky Fried Shuriken - Finger Lickin' Death.
Quote from: horsehearted
Nah, women are just batshit crazy ALL the time!  :D
87.1% Dresden Pure rank: Nicodemus

Offline Amber

• Posty McPostington
  • Enchanted Storm
    • View Profile
    • My Own Message Board
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2011, 09:04:29 PM »
"I am among those who think that science has great beauty. A scientist in his laboratory is not only a technician: he is also a child placed before natural phenomena which impress him like a fairy tale."
- Marie Curie

Offline Ona

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2011, 05:33:43 PM »
Thank you Enjorous & Amber...

Yes, I read the introduction to simplemachines, but couldn't find many specifics on "how to".

And I'm not sure what you mean by opening the post in different tabs...  When I hit the quote button, all I get is the HTML for quotes.  Do I hit the quote button on the specific posts I want to quote?  Do I go back and cut and paste between the " " as it were?  At another forum I spend quite a bit of time at, if you want to quote multiple posts, there's a checkbox - almost invisible - that you have to check in each of the posts you want to quote.  Is it something like that?

Thanks in any case, for answering my call for help  ;)

Ona

Offline sandman1313

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 05:32:35 AM »
how do i import an avatar of my own to this site i see others have done so but all i get is the premade option or no avatar

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 05:35:29 AM »
You can't change your avatar until you reach 100 posts. Then, in the profile, you can check the "I have my avatar" and copy the URL.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:59:24 AM »
Thank you Enjorous & Amber...

Yes, I read the introduction to simplemachines, but couldn't find many specifics on "how to".

And I'm not sure what you mean by opening the post in different tabs...  When I hit the quote button, all I get is the HTML for quotes.  Do I hit the quote button on the specific posts I want to quote?  Do I go back and cut and paste between the " " as it were?  At another forum I spend quite a bit of time at, if you want to quote multiple posts, there's a checkbox - almost invisible - that you have to check in each of the posts you want to quote.  Is it something like that?

Thanks in any case, for answering my call for help  ;)

Ona

If you want to quote a single post, hit the quote button at the top of that post, and all the quote code necessary to quote that single post will be pregenerated.  The guaranteed way to quote multiple quotes is to right click and hit "open link in new tab" (your browser might say something slightly different) on the quote button of the secondary posts youw ant to quote, and then copy and paste them into the post you are generating. 

A shortcut that I don't frequently use, is that if all the posts you want to quote are in the topic you are responding and are all recent (within the last 10 or so posts, if they are on another page you will have to use the above technique) you can generate additional quotes by clicking the "insert quote" links below the reply window while you are typing your reply.

Finally, sometimes you will want to quote something that isn't in a post (like text from the books, or from another website), or is in a locked post.

Quote from: knowitall drivel
In that case type out what you want to quote or copy/paste it, and then highlight it and hit the "quote button" above the crying smiley above the reply window, and a quote code without a link in the header will be generated.  You can change the header so that it cites what you are quoting instead of just saying "quote" by changing the first bit of code from {quote} to {quote="my source"} using [] rather than {} of course
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*