Author Topic: Weapons and the law  (Read 9118 times)

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Weapons and the law
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2011, 03:01:41 PM »
Look at the novels.  Dresden has to hide his revolver from the police a number of times, in a way that would be a compel.  Murphy has a gun as a cop, but anything higher power she has to get illegally, and it takes quite a few books before she's willing to do that.  Beyond them very few of the good guys ever use guns.  The bad guys do, but those are usually organized crime or organized supernatural crime with mind control powers, so concealed carry permits are not an issue.

Canada looks like it has pretty similar gun laws to Germany.  I live in a bad neighbourhood, like probably the worst neighbourhood in the city.  One night my wife and I heard what sounded just like gun shots.  We called the police.  About an hour later the police showed up.  That gives plenty of time for the heroes and the monsters to leave after a firefight.  They were also highly skeptical that there were guns fired, and insisted that we just heard a car backfire or heard something on TV.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2011, 03:05:46 PM »
But, let's give the government some leeway, they're only just beginning to allow views that contradict the Bible in schools... The Constitution is way newer, so we'll give them some time to catch up to the fact that some things are written in the spirit of that time :p

On second thought, let's not go to Camelot. It is a silly place.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:17:37 PM by Pbartender »

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 26, 2011, 03:20:38 PM »
Quite right, quite right, but the "trouble" is that Washington won't simply acknowledge that the reasons why everyone had a right to own a gun was a product of the times they lived in back then. Saying that you have a right to own a gun and thus need to own a gun because you can and nothing should stop you from that is just insane. I believe that is about what NRA wants, right?
Let's avoid the politics and stick to facts. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 03:36:30 PM »
Let's avoid the politics and stick to facts.

Argh, it's the gas they spray from airplanes that made me do it! Sorry, I'll behave now :D

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 03:41:28 PM »
Gas?  All this time I thought it was the Thought Police:)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 05:49:22 PM »
If there ever was an organization that does little else but make me laugh or groan at its stupidity, it is the NRA. Mind you, I'm Dutch and so the entire debate about weapons seems silly to me. But, let's give the government some leeway, they're only just beginning to allow views that contradict the Bible in schools... The Constitution is way newer, so we'll give them some time to catch up to the fact that some things are written in the spirit of that time :p

We're supposed to stay away from touchy topics on these boards.  Just fyi.

But also fyi, you're not an American so perhaps you aren't aware of this.  The whole point of the second amendment is to guarantee that civilians have access to military-style weapons; allowing them the power to challenge the government by force.

I don't comment about Dutch politics or make value calls with very little information.  I suggest you follow suit with other countries as well.
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 06:28:29 PM »
The whole point of the second amendment is to guarantee that civilians have access to military-style weapons; allowing them the power to challenge the government by force.

Stop. Who would cross the Bridge of Death must answer me these questions three, ere the other side he see.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 12:18:17 PM by Pbartender »

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 07:35:35 PM »
Actually, you've got it a little bit backwards, there...  In this instance, it's the government that's seemingly contradicting the Constitution, and it's the NRA that wants a more literal interpretation.
You can't talk about being literal and constitutional law in the same sentence. It's seriously not allowed. I mean, the text of the 2nd Amendment is:

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the People to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

Where is the well regulated militia part? Nowhere to be found. The Supreme Court has ruled that the militia bit is just sort of there and has no effect on the intention of the law, which is now legally considered to be the right to own firearms.

Never mind of course that the law doesn't even explicitly mention firearms. So now, even thought something like a big knife is a piece of armament, you can't carry one on you in some places.

The weapon laws in the States are just nuts. They spring from a law that obviously intends that there be some form of regulated militia system, but which doesn't detail it in the least. Then half of that law is ignored. Then you get to the state level, and more stuff happens to regulations. Then you get to the municipal level and more stuff happens. It's schizophrenic.

(And lest you read any opinion one way or the other in regards to gun rights into what I said beyond, "They're in disorder and stated unclearly," I have stated no such opinion.)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 26, 2011, 07:38:48 PM »
Is it just me, or is most of this board from either Texas or Germany?

It certainly feels that way.

Offline LCDarkwood

• Warden
  • Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 26, 2011, 07:42:45 PM »
Hey, folks?

More with the "here's how you can make this relevant in your game" talk, less with the political hip-shooting (pun intended), please.

Thanks.

-Lenny

Offline Thaumologist

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 26, 2011, 09:34:08 PM »
I'd say it depends on how experienced the players and GM are. In my group, this is the first game any of us have ever played. So I (as GM) make up laws as we go along, and the law is applicable from the time it is made up. Having your character have to avoid police and such might be great for compels, but it adds a layer of complexity that is not always needed - especially if the players are new.
However, making the game real makes it more submersive, and so long-term players might like it more.

Offline Pbartender

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 26, 2011, 11:43:55 PM »
Hey, folks?

More with the "here's how you can make this relevant in your game" talk, less with the political hip-shooting (pun intended), please.

Thanks.

Sorry...    ::)

First, note that YS 322-323 already have some loose guidelines for adjudicating the purchase of restricted or illegal items...  Restricted and illegal items will be harder to find and more costly and time-consuming to acquire.

That said, once you know, even in a vague way, one way to handle these sorts of items and weapons is to use the item itself as target for temporary aspects.  For example, a police officer with a good enough Awareness might spot that handgun in its shoulder holster underneath your jacket.  Treating it like a maneuver, he might slap you with a temporary aspect like, "Do You Have a Permit For That Sir?"

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 27, 2011, 12:06:36 AM »
Is it just me, or is most of this board from either Texas or Germany?

It certainly feels that way.
<--- Texan with German blood and a NRA LIFE MEMBER
Where's the Downside  ;D?

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 27, 2011, 12:37:31 AM »
Just wondering how hard is it too get guns in the US, for a story point of view in the UK I require contacts 2 resources 2 to get illegal fire arms (pistols) in terms of skill how hard would it be to gets guns in the US? Out of curiosity do they really sell guns in supermarkets in the US? 
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline fantazero

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 27, 2011, 12:52:40 AM »
Just wondering how hard is it too get guns in the US, for a story point of view in the UK I require contacts 2 resources 2 to get illegal fire arms (pistols) in terms of skill how hard would it be to gets guns in the US? Out of curiosity do they really sell guns in supermarkets in the US?

Gun in supermarkets, lol, kinda.
I mean the Wal Mart near me sells HUNTING Rifles and Shotguns, but they also have a Hair Dresser, McDonald's, Mechanic, Electronics, Clothing, Tools, and Groceries. It's like a Small Town or Mall.
You still have to go through a Federal Background check that they can do over the phone right there. So if you arent here legally, have a shady background (mental issues, criminal convictions, restraining orders ect) you aint getting one.
There is an age restriction of being 21 for some kinds of Weapons unless you are in the Military.

Honestly it's not "HARD" but why should it be? It's one of our RIGHTS, Right after Freedom of Speech and Religion, and before the Right to a trail.

Then it changes depending on what State you are in ect.

But here in Texas the requirements are Don't be a Scum Bag, be 21.