Author Topic: Ghost Story & Aftermath spoilers: Anyone notice... Toto?  (Read 9182 times)

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Ghost Story & Aftermath spoilers: Anyone notice... Toto?
« on: August 24, 2011, 09:24:57 PM »
Toto growled both at Felicia the White Court vampire...  And Marci.  He (she?) could also detect Dresden's ghost.  And note that he wasn't aggressive to all werewolves, as Toto really seems to like Will.

Going back to Aftermath, there was something about Marci that Murphy just plain didn't like.  She put the poor girl through the ringer, with the threshold test & questioned her pretty thoroughly.

She also supposedly walked away from a sweet job at ILM, but lived out of the equivalent of a cardboard box.  To the extend that she's got a bit of cash saved up, living on the interest.  Then suddenly had a change of heart, and came to the conclusion that it was more important to be back with the other werewolves.

True, she did have a 'thing' with Andi, and after Kirby's death, that might be all there is to it.  Still, even if Andi & Marci were close, dropping everything is usually a big deal, and Marci didn't even seem to question her motives.

Murphy is pretty on the paranoid these days & Toto...  is kinda insane.  So, there might be nothing to this.

But what if there isn't?  What if we're being given hints that Marci is something of a double agent, and we're not noticing them?

The last time this was discussed, I suggested the possibility that she might be one of Marcone's people.  Aftermath, seen from a certain perspective, seems to suggest that Marcone has talents of his own (Gard talking about having their troubleshooters being taken, and the Formor only seemed interested in taking talents.).

Alternatively, she might have had her brains redecorated, maybe exactly like Luccio. 

Or maybe something else.  Or maybe nothing.

One thing that bothers me more than most things, how did Marci know that Murphy was being fired?  It just barely happened, but in Aftermath, Marci clearly knew.  Maybe Will brought it up in his phone messages, but it seems like a kind of detail that he wouldn't share while his wife was missing.

Kevin
« Last Edit: August 24, 2011, 09:28:25 PM by KevinSig »

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story & Aftermath spoilers: Anyone notice... Toto?
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2011, 11:57:39 PM »
You may have a point, there's a lot here and in Aftermath to make you wonder. - but Abby did have to use her precog to stop Toto from going after Will after he got done with being growly at Marci.

It could also be a stealth reference to the Discworld, were wolves and Werewolves do not get along too well.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2011, 12:09:10 AM »
You may have a point, there's a lot here and in Aftermath to make you wonder. - but Abby did have to use her precog to stop Toto from going after Will after he got done with being growly at Marci.

I suggest you reread, as Toto is jumping at Will because he likes him, hence the latter scene where he snuggles next to Will's wolf form.  Will even smiles as Toto lunges at him, so from my reading Toto has no ill will towards Will, just Marci.

Which is a tad peculiar to me.

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2011, 12:16:23 AM »
I suggest you reread, as Toto is jumping at Will because he likes him, hence the latter scene where he snuggles next to Will's wolf form.  Will even smiles as Toto lunges at him, so from my reading Toto has no ill will towards Will, just Marci.

Which is a tad peculiar to me.
hard to say - "the little dog abruptly sprang out of Abby's arms"... "Abby shushed the Yorkie and frowned at Will"  I took Will's smile as him being amused.  And while Jim doesn't specify if he showed teeth, that would be a sign of aggression.  I don't think Abby would've felt the need to stop Toto or frown at Will if the dog were just going to happily trot over for a scritch.

I imagine in his Wolf form, Toto recognizes Will as the Alpha.  er.  no pun intended...

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2011, 12:48:04 AM »
I've known dogs that jumping is a sign of affection (can't recall if there's anything that supports this from White Night, but plan to look at Toto's behavior from said book), given the later sentiment of snuggling next to Will, I assumed the reation carried over to both forms.

Since it's only indicated that Toto is growling at Marci specifically, I took that as a clue.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2011, 12:51:39 AM by KevinSig »

Offline Hopefire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2011, 12:53:04 AM »

I suspect that she's Marcone's, as indicated above. Not necessarily bad, but getting paid to help the good guys and keep Marcone's in the loop.

Offline BigDPizzle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2011, 01:20:36 AM »
I didn't pick up on the Toto agression until reading this post but definitely remember thinking that Marci was bad news from Aftermath but never figured how.  What about her possibly working for the Fomor?  Any thoughts in that direction?

Offline Hopefire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2011, 02:18:10 AM »
I didn't pick up on the Toto agression until reading this post but definitely remember thinking that Marci was bad news from Aftermath but never figured how.  What about her possibly working for the Fomor?  Any thoughts in that direction?
I don't think so, given how she worked against them in Aftermath. There doesn't really seem to me to be an angle where it would make sense that she was a double agent there. On the other hand, it could help explain why Hendrix showed up at Billy and Georgia's place in Aftermath - Marcone's existing troubleshooter there would have had to be really lucky to see something was going on, but Marci would have known sooner if Andi called her while Georgia was calling Billy.

Offline KevinSig

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2011, 02:23:37 AM »

Well if she's been mind buggered, anything is possible.  Still, the way she tore into those things in Aftermath suggests otherwise.  There was no JLC, so no need to infiltrate it.  There was the Alphas, which would interest the Black Council, the Fomor & Marcone.

However, the Formor don't seem all that terribly complex in their strategies, so I doubt they put a plant in place.  Especially one that could find Molly, which seems to be a prime target of the Formor.

Offline BigDPizzle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2011, 03:49:27 AM »
Yeah.  It does make more sense that she is Marcone's.  What about some other entity?  I think that it is too easy for it to be just Marcone.  Maybe I'm looking for connections where there are none.  But she was way out of Marcone's territory to be enlisted into his employ I think.  Maybe some one we haven't seen.  If you learned how to turn into a wolf, would you stop even if your group of friends grew apart.  Maybe she got into some messy shiznit in California (I think that's where they said she was.)  That would also be a great reason to pick up & leave

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2011, 03:57:45 AM »
Yeah.  It does make more sense that she is Marcone's.  What about some other entity?  I think that it is too easy for it to be just Marcone.  Maybe I'm looking for connections where there are none.  But she was way out of Marcone's territory to be enlisted into his employ I think.  Maybe some one we haven't seen.  If you learned how to turn into a wolf, would you stop even if your group of friends grew apart.  Maybe she got into some messy shiznit in California (I think that's where they said she was.)  That would also be a great reason to pick up & leave
she said she worked for ILM.  maybe that was a cover?  could she have worked for Silverlight?

maybe she's Lara's creature, not Marcone's?

Offline BigDPizzle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2011, 04:33:12 AM »
Definitely a possibility.  Seduced by a white court sucubus

Offline Griffyn612

• The Merlin
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2011, 04:36:07 AM »
Or maybe Toto is a girl dog, and likes Will, and doesn't like Marci.  If you catch my meaning.

Offline Bakoro

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2011, 04:50:53 AM »
I want to know what the heck kind of money those guys at ILM are making that they can "live off the interest" after a little as a half decade. She almost guaranteed has some kind of school loans to pay off, and even if here bank account was slowly running out... That's still a lot of money.
The average income over at ILM is around 90k, so, I guess if she was really savy she could have saved around 100k over 4 or 5 years which a frugal body could live on for a fairly long time.

It's not impossible for her to have picked up a side job as an enforcer or agent of some kind. Gotta use those Wolf abilities somehow.

Offline Hopefire

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 25, 2011, 06:42:54 AM »
The average income over at ILM is around 90k, so, I guess if she was really savy she could have saved around 100k over 4 or 5 years which a frugal body could live on for a fairly long time.

Firstly, it's definitely pssible to get out of university with no loans owing. Scholarships, parents that made good use of RESPs or could just pay for it,  co-op program with good work terms, etc. Secondly, five years at 90k? 150 to 200k is easily possible, even taking into account taxes. If you're willing to forego a lot of comforts, it doesn't take a whole lot to live.