Author Topic: Thanks to all our great fans!  (Read 52815 times)

Offline Suzee

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Thanks to all our great fans!
« Reply #45 on: May 24, 2007, 02:50:41 AM »
Thank you for a brilliant beginning for a new series, "The Dresden Files".  The scripts are very good, the acting is superb, and the cast melds well together.  The production is wonderful!  I'd been reading the books, and heard that Dresden would be making its debut on television.  I have been there for each airing and each re-airing.  Each episode brings more depth to each character.  I had not expected the series to directly follow the books and novels.  Television/broadcasting is too commercialized for that and time compresses with the funding that is necessary.  I am not an avid TV watcher.  However, when something is well done, I will tune in.  There are so few programs of worth any more.  I sincerely hope that you will extend this series out for at least three or more seasons.  My best regards to you and everyone affiliated with producing such a well-crafted series.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #46 on: May 24, 2007, 08:13:49 AM »
Hoi chum Thanks..ah crap...I mean thank you

Offline tud

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 24, 2007, 09:54:36 AM »
Three or more seasons? That remains to be seen. Honestly, you'd think TPTB could get of ftheir collective fundement and give us some news.I think that every other series on Sci-Fi knows what's going on except us.  Hells bells, the goverment works faster. This is torture, tortment and travail, all rolled into one large, icky bundle.

tud

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2007, 07:17:37 PM »
Three or more seasons? That remains to be seen. Honestly, you'd think TPTB could get of ftheir collective fundement and give us some news.I think that every other series on Sci-Fi knows what's going on except us.  Hells bells, the goverment works faster. This is torture, tortment and travail, all rolled into one large, icky bundle.

tud

Last I heard, someone at the Sci-Fi Channel said we'd know by the middle of June if TDF was getting renewed for a second season. We've got two to three weeks to go.

Offline seiscat

• Conversationalist
  • Got cream?
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2007, 07:23:14 PM »
Write more letters!
There is no such thing as just a cat.

Offline Elaikases

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Mistworld
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2007, 08:38:59 PM »

tud

How were the numbers?  Viewers, ad revenue, cost per show, that sort of thing?  Heck, how are the DVD pre-orders going and how is it doing in re-runs now?
Steve
http://adrr.com/story/
http://adrr.com/avatars/h3.gif
http://adrr.com/avatars/light.gif
(click to show/hide)
Smiley

Offline chupie

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2007, 03:03:52 PM »
Well, Amazon shows it is #139, which , for a little known cable tv show that only had 13 eps, that can't be too bad.

Offline Zarina

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Info Page
« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2007, 03:08:45 PM »
WooHOO!! 139th!!! Considering how many DVD's Amazon offers, I think that's excellent!! :o

Offline Jamwired

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 05, 2007, 01:12:25 AM »
Thank-you Robert.  I've enjoyed reading your comments and I am very grateful for the time you gave all of us here.  Hopefully, this marks the beginning of a LONG, LONG, successful run.

*Jamwired runs to lurk-mode before the evil, nasty spellcheck monstor sniffs her out!*

Offline charmeddigitalchick

• Participant
  • Save Harry Dresden!
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2007, 12:32:05 AM »
I'm nearly finished watching the Dresden DVD's with two more episodes to go.  Awww nuts, it's so depressing knowing that it ends there since it has been cancelled. 

I was so excited when I saw the DVD in the video store, I snapped it up right away regardless of the cost. I was simply overjoyed that I had spotted it! 

It's because of the tv series that I became hooked on the Dresden novel series.  Now that I have gone through nearly two books, the show makes a heck of a lot more sense and carries a deeper meaning for me.  It is a lot more intimate and I feel so sorry for Harry after he has been through so much and gets so little in return....

You know, it makes me want to be his friend, sit by the fire and lean against him, while listening to him ramble on how his day went.  Wish I could that for him....

Heck, I just want to give Harry Dresden a big hug.

Many thanks to everyone involved for bringing Harry to life, he is such an awesome guy! 

"... can you see the pyramids?  You are standing knee-deep in de Nile."

Said Bob to Harry in Dead Beat by Jim Butcher.

Offline Zarina

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Info Page
« Reply #55 on: February 16, 2008, 11:42:39 PM »
I promised this poster that I'd pass on her message and her sincere thank you's to Mr. Butcher, Mr. Wolfe, and to everyone involved in the books and the series. She seems like a sweet lady... :)

Nashonii
I am not a 'little-0l-lady' that has nothing better to do than join a forum and 'chat'. In fact I drive 2 hrs. to work a 12 hr. shift...at night. I tell you this, not because I think it makes me any diffirent than any of you, but just to let you know HOW MUCH I ENJOYED WATCHING Disc 1,2, and 3 of season one that I have just finished viewing, having found, at the video store. 
 I have spent the last 2 hr.s registering, and being 'found' by registration on my dial up computer, just to
THANK JIM BUTCHER, Paul Blackthorne and the all the actors, directors, camera persons, and all the crew, for this serries.
 I don't know how to personally write the 'big-wigs' on line, or Mr. Butcher, but I am a hard working person who thinks you should take the time to thank people for doing great things !
 I can't afford the Sci-fi channel, so didn't know Dresden existed!, can't afford high-speed internet, (it costs more when you live out in the country), so can't watch the Podcast, or watch any extras, or write very much...since it takes too long to send and receive.....
But I want to let them know somehow ....that I am facinated with the series, and I'm doing my part to spread the news about it; and will be buying Jim Butchers books that started the series!
Thank you...everyone, especially Jim Butcher, for your facinating immagation, and puting it in print!Can't wait to find more of The Dresden Files at the movie store and get your books!

Diann (Respiratory Therapist) AKA Nashonii

P.S. If anyone can contact Jim directly please forward this letter. Thanks

[/quote]

Offline FlaggerX

• Conversationalist
  • born of normal parents
    • View Profile
    • Everything 2
« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2008, 02:59:34 AM »
Thanks for the series, I very much enjoyed it but I may have a bad directory on disk two.

Seriously, it was a fine series,  and I hope  it finds a new home.  It probably won't but maybe the petitions and DVD sales will help. I guess SciFi wants to do it's weakly disaster/ Ghost reality show more than drama.

Offline Londonwizard

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2008, 03:14:03 PM »
Ok, I'm probably going to upset a lot of people now. I recently bought the DVD set, having not had the chance to see the series on Tv (we don't have Sky, just Virginmedia). I've been an avid fan of the books for two years now, and was pretty darned excited about the series.

Underwhelmed is an exaggeration. I was so disappointed. I'm pretty fed-up ith the way things are 'adapted' for TV. This wasn't so muc an adaption as a complete re-write. It lost all it's charm, it's wit and, for me, it's interest. By the time the final disc froze due to some technical problem, i had given up caring. I know broadcasters whinge about we 'fanboys' who restrict their creativity by demanding continuity, what really, what's the point of creating something if people are going to say: I don't like that, let'sdo it like this instead.

Urgh, sorry people, I've just needed to get that off my chest. On the plus side, it hasn't stopped me reading the books, though I confess I'd give the series a wide berth in future.

Offline Wizwad

• Seriously?
  • Shall we dance?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2008, 09:52:38 PM »
It's odd.  I saw the series first.  Took me a while, too - I couldn't get past the title, "The Dresden Files."  My brain kept telling me it was a series about war.  Either that, or an American series set in Germany which seemed just strange.

I finally got round to watching it, and I, too, was underwhelmed.  I like to give things a chance, watch a few episodes before making a judgement.  Well, I watched the whole 12 episodes of this and was still underwhelmed.  Well, that's not quite true - I finished the series feeling very sad that I wouldn't be seeing Murphy or Bob or the various members of the supporting cast again just when it was finding its feet.

Then I read the books - I was cautious and only got the first two to give them a chance.  A few days later I bought another one.  The following day I bought all the other ones I could lay my hands on!  I think it's fair to say that I LOVE the books.  And you know something?  Reading the books has made my appreciation for the series grow.  I know that they're completely different kettles of fish - blonde / brunette; skull / ghost; diplomatically challenged loyal, faithful wizard / smooth, sophisticated (well, relatively), promiscuous (see previous parenthesis) hocky player.  Somehow, though, the love of the books has smoothed over my annoyances with the TV show 'til now I can take each on its own merits.  (Except Paul Blackthorne, who's still a bit dull phlegmatic.)
Life  isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain. ~  Unknown

Offline Darkling

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Darklings we listen
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2008, 10:41:21 PM »

I know i have given my view here many times over.  I guess it's because I'm the only fan who hasn't drifted over to John T. Folden's  Dresden Files' forum to the point of out right abandoning this one.  Despite how this forum looks now there are many of us out there who did love the show.

I love the books and the show.  Yes, there were many changes done for the show. Think about it though.  How could the show be truly intriguing or interesting if it was the same exact content as the books? At the time there were only eight novels in print.  If each episode was an abridged adaptation of one of the novels they would have run out of content very quickly.  Not to mention certain things are just impossible to translate on television.  And it would have been predictable.  We would all know what is going to happen next.  And certain things (Let's be realistic here) simply would not work on television- a polka animated dinosaur, even if you used Jurassic Park effects is still a polka animated dinosaur.  Sure it's funny.  It's one of the best scenes in the books but it would not work well on TV.  The same can be said of a talking skull.   Terrence Mann is a very accomplished stage actor with a fan base all his own.  And Trading in an over caffeinated talking skull with no real personality of his own for the snarky somewhat tragic ghost was (in my opinion) one of the better aspects of the show.  The show's version of Bob has at least two active fan clubs.  A 'heram' and a community on Livejournal.   I'm sure there are more but those are the only two I've bothered to read messages on. 

I find it funny when people ask things like 'Where is Mouse?' and 'Where is Thomas?' yet the Storm Front story (the only one really close to the books) is episode eight (and then the two hour 'movie' shown at three AM a few months ago) which means even if the show as following the books we should not have seen Mouse or Thomas yet.   

I wish we had seen Season 2.  I wanted to see those flash backs of Hrothbert and Winifred that they were planning. And there was a chance Thomas would have appeared in Season 2.   The show was just getting good and had so much potential.  Imagine if they had canceled Buffy The Vampire Slayer after it's very short first season when all they did was monster of the week stuff.  Compare it to season six or seven and the show is virtually unrecognizable.  Highlander the series was the same way, you didn't even find out about The Watchers until Season 2.

I have read The Dresden Files novels and I still read them as they come out.  Nearly every change for the show had it's own purpose.  Yes, it's different from the books but the heart of it remains the same.  Harry Dresden is still Harry Dresden.   It's a different universe from the books but the basic idea remains the same, the feel of it.  And I feel many of the changes were good choices.   I am a book collector.  I understand the need for changes in adaptations.  I know the reality of the entertainment beast.   There, in fact, is only one book adaptation I truly loathe and that is Queen of the damned.  That is very simply the worst vampire film ever made with or without the book the title and character names came from.

Harry was a blue collar hero- a good guy who also was fighting for basic survival, a rarity in the world of fantasy and science fiction.   He was a rare good guy. You don't see Heros like that on TV anymore.   The last hero even remotely like Harry was Duncan Macleod on Highlander the series.  Sure they were very different as far as personalities and abilities (and even financial state) but they were true heroes.  We're in very cynical age where there aren't any truly great heroes anymore, people who do the right thing because they know it's right and fight for what they believe in.  We need that now more than ever.  We need to remember that people like that can exist.  Characters like Harry Dresden have become rare in television.  The Dresden Files was a breath of Fresh air on the SciFi Channel.  I miss it.

« Last Edit: August 04, 2008, 10:47:23 PM by Darkling »
'The night holds more than darkness and the stars.' - The San Francisco version of the Lestat musical.