Author Topic: Any comic/graphic novel writers?  (Read 6398 times)

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Any comic/graphic novel writers?
« on: April 24, 2007, 05:35:19 AM »
I'm really busy enough with my novel, but I have a comic project on the side. I was wondering if any one else dabbelled in that field. So far nothings happening with the comic. I keep having problems with my artists.

Offline blgarver

• Conversationalist
  • There are three things all wise men fear...
    • View Profile
    • Video Samples
Re: Any comic/graphic novel writers?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2007, 01:44:31 PM »
I have really wanted to write a comic/graphic novel, but everything I come up with is cheesy and stupid.  I want to write a superhero story, but it's hard to come up with anything fresh.
I'm a videographer by trade.  Check out my work if you're a writer that needs to procrastinate.  Not as good as Rhett and Link, but I do what I can.
http://vimeo.com/user1855060/videos

Offline StoryMask

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StoryMask.com
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2007, 10:15:11 PM »
I ordered 3 books on the subject from Amazon.com, should get them sometime next week. I'm thinking of turning some of my Seraph Hunters short stories into graphic novel like coloring pages that students can print out and color. My Seraph Hunters project is a blend of urban fantasy/supernatural/super hero genres. Example story: Easy Pickings at http://storymask.com/wordpress/?p=24

I'm in the middle of getting price quotes from artists at http://www.deviantart.com

Ben :)

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2007, 02:06:25 AM »
There are a lot of good artists specailising in comci stuff on digitalwebbing.com. you can run an add for them for free.

Offline StoryMask

• Lurker
    • View Profile
    • StoryMask.com
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2007, 03:35:38 AM »
There are a lot of good artists specailising in comci stuff on digitalwebbing.com. you can run an add for them for free.

Thanks for the info., heading over to check it out.

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2007, 01:18:21 PM »
Not a problem. Just be warned there are some people there who don't speak english very well.  I had the most amazing artist, but he couldn't understand my scripts. Either that or he just didn't care what I wrote. Every time I'd send him something I'd get something completelly different back.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 03:07:20 AM »
Thats the one problem I have writing a comic or graphic novel is finding a artist that can share the same vision.

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 06:00:18 AM »
I demand samples. Then if I like what I see I give out sample scripts. It's definentlly a tedious process. Why couldn't I be a fantastic artist? That would certainlly make things easier.

Wolfhowls

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 07:36:14 AM »
Ain't that the truth ...being able to draw would make crap easier

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 03:14:04 PM »
I always found the best way to deal with artists is to give them a great deal of creative control over what the comic looks like.  Give them a plot line, dialogue, and a basic character description and let them have control over the rest.  If it looks well done, then tell them good job and try to get it published.  Only nitpick when it something that has to do with the plot.  (Well, So and So always wears gloves because it is a symbol of his emotional distance from society). 

Artists, like writers, are very creative people.  They probably have projects on the back burner that they would rather do then be a slave to your creative vision.  If you let them have great creative control over the part of the comic they are responsible for creating then they will be more likely to stick around. 

Offline King of De Nile

• Conversationalist
  • Are your feet wet? And can you see the pyramids?
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 03:34:31 PM »
I always found the best way to deal with artists is to give them a great deal of creative control over what the comic looks like.  Give them a plot line, dialogue, and a basic character description and let them have control over the rest.  If it looks well done, then tell them good job and try to get it published.  Only nitpick when it something that has to do with the plot.  (Well, So and So always wears gloves because it is a symbol of his emotional distance from society). 

Isn't that how Marvel used to do it? I remeber hearing that's how Stan the Man kept so many projects going at once; by giving a large amount of creative control to the artists.
Our garden was debated territory between five local cats, and we'd heard that the best way to keep other cats out of the garden was to have one yourself. A moment's rational thought here will spot the slight flaw in this reasoning.      --Terry Pratchett

Offline eviladam

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2007, 04:25:46 PM »
See that's just not the way I work at all. My scripts are detailed panel for panel about just what I want. I use a lot of "camera angles" and panel layouts that I think helps the flow of the comic.

Offline WonderandAwe

• Conversationalist
  • Stranger in the Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2007, 04:36:38 PM »
You might have to pay someone for drawing something like that.  :(   I know I would have issues if some artist was like "I need you to write out dialogue for my comic."  "Oh no,  that's not right.  The main character is very angry at them.  Oh but he doesn't curse.  Ever.  And I want you to put in something about..."  I can do it, but it would get tiring after a while. 

Wolfhowls

« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 06:30:32 AM »
At one point I did have an artst but I got stationed in Germany so everything down the tubes. I had to write everything in great detail for me and a few times I had to call him to explain everything.

Offline The Dread Pharaoh Roberts

• Posty McPostington
  • We are men of action. Lies do not become us.
    • View Profile
    • Family friendly tees, mugs, posters, etc...
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2007, 03:38:18 AM »
I do illustration work but suck at plotting and storyline.  Anyone wanna collaborate?
Your Pharaoh Has Spoken...

Online portfolio: http://samurphy0320.deviantart.com/