Author Topic: I started a new topic but it's shaded pink and says "needs approval"  (Read 5058 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
I tried to create a different new sticky in the WoJ section today and it says it "needs approval."

I assumed that this ment that with the revamp, I couldn't start a new topic in the WoJ section without approval, but apparently other posters are having similar issues in other areas of the forums, as evidenced by DarkArchon's post below.

I started a new topic in the WoJ section and it didn't have this affliction, and I've now deleted the "needs approval" topic, but I expect that DA's topics are still around for diagnosis of this problem.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2011, 01:50:42 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
Re: Jim's Author/book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2011, 01:51:47 AM »
*I tried to create a different new sticky in the WoJ section today and it says it "needs approval."  Could one of the admin's approve it please, and also transfer this post to the WoJ section for stickying (or another area if it is deemed more appropriate)*

I... got nuttin'.  You'd think I'd be able to approve it.  Hrm.

Offline DoTArchon

• Posty McPostington
  • Lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
I've also gotten this message. I've started 2 threads, one in forum games (2 days ago) and one in site suggestions (yesterday) asking about the approval system. Both are still marked as waiting for approval. Is this a new feature on the boards?

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2011, 01:12:34 PM »
I've also gotten this message. I've started 2 threads, one in forum games (2 days ago) and one in site suggestions (yesterday) asking about the approval system. Both are still marked as waiting for approval. Is this a new feature on the boards?

I noticed that the banner for the forum said you had a post waiting for approval yesterday, and when I clicked on the link in the banner, it said the post wasn't there...  Sounds like something the administration needs to be clued in on.  I thought it was something specific to the WoJ section since it is locked from normal posting, but now that I think of it I have started many new topics there, but only the one since the forum revamp I think.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2011, 01:16:13 PM »
Interesting, I just started a new topic in the WoJ section and didn't have the same issue... so I'm transfering the "awaiting approval" topic's contents to this new one...
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 01:20:56 PM »
Ok DA, I recommend that you do what I just did, and just repost your topic in a new one that doesn't require approval...

Since it turns out that I can start my own topics in the WoJ section, I don't need to start this topic here, so I'm now rewriting the OP to be dedicated to this "awaiting approval" issue.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline DoTArchon

• Posty McPostington
  • Lurking...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 01:26:08 PM »
I'll try. Thanks  :)

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: I started a new topic but it's shaded pink and says "needs approval"
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 02:28:54 PM »
At last account, Fred said he was still occasionally having to wrestle with some oddities that have been cropping up around permissions and related stuff. As always, patience is indicated - the cavalry's busy but WILL be coming. ;)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 03:37:43 PM »
At last account, Fred said he was still occasionally having to wrestle with some oddities that have been cropping up around permissions and related stuff. As always, patience is indicated - the cavalry's busy but WILL be coming. ;)

Oh, sorry I don't mean to imply dissatisfaction.  More, I was trying to share info about an issue to help facilitate the calalry.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2011, 03:40:22 PM »
Oh, sorry I don't mean to imply dissatisfaction.  More, I was trying to share info about an issue to help facilitate the calalry.

Oh, no, I didn't mean I thought you guys were upset! As it is, having spotters for the artillery is exactly what we need. :)
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2011, 01:20:32 PM »
Ok, I just had this happen again in the bar.  All 3 times I have had this happen, I have been able to start a seperate topic named "test" with body that said "test" and then I modified the newly created topic to have the material that I wanted from the topic that "needs aproval"
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Blaze

• Cloak maker to Wizards.
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2011, 01:33:38 PM »
I can and did take care of it.  Iago is aware that it is happening, and until we have a solution, I will try to keep on top of the "needs moderator approval" stuff!
Chi pò, non vò; chi vò, non pò; chi sà, non fà; chi fà, non sà; e così, male il mondo va.

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2011, 01:58:04 PM »
Ok, I just had this happen again in the bar.  All 3 times I have had this happen, I have been able to start a seperate topic named "test" with body that said "test" and then I modified the newly created topic to have the material that I wanted from the topic that "needs aproval"

Did it fit a possible spam profile in some way, such as being chock full of links, image links, attachments, or heavy formatting?

That sort of stuff is going to get kicked to moderation simply as a matter of course under the newer software as part of our effort to prevent spam. Hopefully the moderation engine will eventually learn that some posts don't need to be held for review.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2011, 02:34:37 PM »
Did it fit a possible spam profile in some way, such as being chock full of links, image links, attachments, or heavy formatting?

That sort of stuff is going to get kicked to moderation simply as a matter of course under the newer software as part of our effort to prevent spam. Hopefully the moderation engine will eventually learn that some posts don't need to be held for review.

The most recent one had 2 links within it, both internal to the boards.  The first time it happened had many links but only 2 of them were external (the butcher block, and jim's livejournal).  But the 2nd time it happened exactly fits your description, having contained lots of images and links to amazon.com

Thanks Blaze for adminning, as I tried to emphasize earlier, I'm happy, I am just trying to provide info.

For now, I'll probably be pre-empting this review process by presetting up a topic then populating it with with what I've already got typed up, like I did after the fact with the technique mentioned in reply 10
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2011, 06:40:59 PM »

It may also be due to heavy copy/paste.  It's happened to me on a couple occasions where I've typed up the post in a text file, and then copied it over to post.  So much text must have so much time in the reply box, it seems.