Author Topic: Anything Goes  (Read 11528 times)

mezzosoprano

Anything Goes
« on: April 23, 2007, 02:11:12 PM »
If a board says anything goes, then I don't think another poster should tell me to post elsewhere.  That is the best way I can think of to chase people away from community altogether.

Offline jtaylor

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob: Offline but not forgotten.
    • View Profile
Re: Anything Goes
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2007, 02:25:59 PM »
I wasn't telling you not to post there, I was pointing out that there is an entire section of this board dedicated to the books. You asked a question about the books. I was point out to you that there was a better place to get you question answered since you are new. I was not trying to chase you away, but to help you find a place that would get more discussion on the question you asked. McAnally's is for general discussion about anything from movies to bumper stickers. The Dresden section is for discussing the books period. It is where most of us go to talk about the books, because that is the purpose of the board. I didn't tell you not to post in McAnally's, and I responded to your fist question after giving the pointer for future use. I was just trying to be helpful. Believe me, that will not be happening again.
A noble spirit enbiggens the smallest man.

mezzosoprano

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2007, 02:28:34 PM »
Thank you

Offline DRD2001

• Participant
    • View Profile
    • People's Republic of Venture
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2007, 12:29:29 AM »
Sorry to stick my nose in but... I take "Anything Goes" for McAnallys as referring to anything else not covered in the currently existing forums. I take it as the catch-all place for current events, getting to know other members and goofing off.

Also, with a title like "Charity" for your thread, I had no idea you were discussing the book. I thought you wanted to discuss the various charities some of us may work with or share a story of your own. I didn't expect a discussion of the books. And since I haven't read all the books yet, I wasn't thrilled finding a spoiler for one there. That's one reason I haven't posted in a lot of the other forums yet, I don't want to wander across spoilers and such. I know you didn't intend it that way. It was just one of those things that happens sometimes.

mezzosoprano

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2007, 02:37:29 PM »
I was actually looking for opinions not ALREADY discussed in the book threads and expected to find more author, thinker types rather than big time fans there.  I wanted to get a thoughtful response that addressed that issue and not just whether or not people like the character. I was trying to get an opinion on how it would affect the series ongoing.  Unfortunately, that is not what happened.  Had the person who responded given his answer to the question first, and the suggestion that it might get more attention on another board after that, I might not have been so offended.  But it DOES say "anything goes".  It just doesn't seem to mean it.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2007, 03:11:09 PM »
I was actually looking for opinions not ALREADY discussed in the book threads and expected to find more author, thinker types rather than big time fans there.  I wanted to get a thoughtful response that addressed that issue and not just whether or not people like the character. I was trying to get an opinion on how it would affect the series ongoing.  Unfortunately, that is not what happened.  Had the person who responded given his answer to the question first, and the suggestion that it might get more attention on another board after that, I might not have been so offended.  But it DOES say "anything goes".  It just doesn't seem to mean it.

The board subdivisions are in place for a reason, as DRD2001 points out.  I'm tempted to give you a second warning, but I'll settle for an apology to DRD2001 and anyone else you might have spoiled for your failure to include warnings in your original "Charity" post.  I'll also overlook your insinuation that those who post on the Dresden Files boards are of a lower intellectual caliber than those who hang out on the McAnally's board, but don't test me.  My "good cop" attitude only extends so far.

I find your train of logic fairly perplexing, and your flaunting of the board guidelines is NOT appreciated.  We don't feel it's too much to ask that you respect the rules of the community. 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 03:16:41 PM by Priscellie »

mezzosoprano

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2007, 03:21:54 PM »
That is NOT what I meant.  I certainly did NOT mean to imply that at all.  I was looking for people who might have more experience in working out plot lines and developing story arcs.  The fans know what they WANT to see, but that may not work in the actual plot lines.  I certainly had NO intention of offending the last poster.  I was responding to what he had to say and TRYING to say what my intentions were.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2007, 03:29:36 PM »
That is NOT what I meant.  I certainly did NOT mean to imply that at all.  I was looking for people who might have more experience in working out plot lines and developing story arcs.  The fans know what they WANT to see, but that may not work in the actual plot lines.  I certainly had NO intention of offending the last poster.  I was responding to what he had to say and TRYING to say what my intentions were.

I understand your concerns.  However, there is significant overlap among the frequenters of the Dresden and McAnally's forums, so you really don't need to worry about finding the "right" group of people to exchange ideas.  Therefore, we ask that you respect the delineations of the boards and post Dresden-related speculation in the Dresden spoilers section.

I'm still waiting for that apology to DRD2001, by the way.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 03:32:32 PM by Priscellie »

Offline DRD2001

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2007, 04:41:32 PM »
I appreciate the consideration Priscillie, but I'm fine. As I said, things like spoilers are bound to happen. For everyone who's read the books years ago, I know it must be hard to remember that some of us are quite new.

And mezzosoprano, I hope you find the discussion you're looking for. There does seem to be quite a few writers on this board and I'm sure once you all connect, you'll be able to share a lot of insight on things like plot and character development.

This just seems to be one of those "live and learn" type situations. I'm still alive, so I guess I learned something.  ;)

mezzosoprano

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 04:56:26 PM »
DRD2001, I had actually quit this forum, but read your last post and rejoined so that I can respond to you.  I certainly did not intend to offend you in any way and did not think I had.  Let's please all remember there is no tone of voice in a post.  When I read "anything goes"  I thought that included spoilers if it could be called that.  If it spoiled anything for you, I am sorry for that, it was not my intent.  My intent was as I stated above.  I even went back and deleted my own posts and "zipped my lip" so as not to spoil anything further.  That was simply an oops. 

Offline DRD2001

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 05:03:43 PM »
Thank you mezzosoprano. But I assure you, there is no ill will from me and never has been and I wasn't offended. I really just took what happened as one of those things that happens sometimes. And anytime I come to a forum like this, I know I'm running the risk of a spoiler slipping through on someone's post. I hope you hang around. I'm no skilled writer, but I do like to amuse myself with writing a fan fic every now and then. (non-Marysue).   ;) I also like to attend writer's panels at various conventions too.

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 05:21:13 PM »
Thanks for apologizing, mezzosoprano.  You've made some fairly astute observations and raised some interesting questions in your time on the boards, so I hope you won't leave us entirely.  Of course, I would recommend reading over Mickey and Iago's stickied posts about what kinds of material are welcome on each of the boards first, as to prevent further miscommunication. :D

And thanks for being so understanding, DRD2001.  It's inevitable that *some* spoilers will slip through, but I consider it every member's duty to read and follow the spoiler policy on each of the boards.  Warnings in the subject line are the key element in this situation.  I also hope that members will report accidentally-leaked "White Night" and "Cursor's Fury" spoilers to the mods so we can do whatever is necessary to prevent new readers from accidentally stumbling upon them.

Everyone happy?  Good.  Now let's get back to discussing some Dresden-y goodness!
« Last Edit: April 24, 2007, 05:33:32 PM by Priscellie »

ToddM326

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 08:50:22 PM »
Everyone happy?  Good.  Now let's get back to discussing some Dresden-y goodness!

Wow Priscellie.  Well Done.  Remind me not to mess with you in the future.

Offline Hope

• Conversationalist
  • Immaculate Dream
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2007, 07:46:19 PM »
Prescellie--I know everyone is busy, I am brand-new--not so much now--and did not know where to start.  By brand-new I mean I had never been in any talk forum.  Made one (that I know of) error and someone was kind enough to wise me up.  Ahhhhhhh.  Anyway I wish there was an easy to find set of instructions.  Like spoilers how you end up a wizard.  By now I have figured out most of it.  Anyway, thank you.  Oh, and stupid me, I don't know how to include your last or any other post.
Don't look back.  Something might be gaining on you. Satchel Paige

Why do people have to die? So we will appreciate life. Nate Fisher

Offline CarolM

• Posty McPostington
  • Bob, Forever with us
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2007, 08:32:50 PM »
Prescellie--I know everyone is busy, I am brand-new--not so much now--and did not know where to start.  By brand-new I mean I had never been in any talk forum.  Made one (that I know of) error and someone was kind enough to wise me up.  Ahhhhhhh.  Anyway I wish there was an easy to find set of instructions.  Like spoilers how you end up a wizard.  By now I have figured out most of it.  Anyway, thank you.  Oh, and stupid me, I don't know how to include your last or any other post.
One way of finding out how things work Hope, is to play with them. I found out how to quote by pressing quote and seeing what happens (the whole post is quoted) and I have now worked out how to quote two people in the same post (another window and then cut & paste). If my memory serves me well (and it often doesn't) you become a Wizard after 100 posts. I think there may be other extras too, but I don't know what they are.
Carol

Bob: in our hearts forever.