Author Topic: Response time?  (Read 7412 times)

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
Re: Response time?
« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 07:03:46 PM »
Apparently I spoke too soon.  The site was down for me for about 10 minutes just now, from approx. 10:09 - 10:19 PM PST / 1:09 - 1:19 EST.  (no trouble with other sites).

Yes, it was down. I decided to take the hint and went to bed
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 24, 2011, 07:12:32 PM »
It works better than a big stick.  ;D

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 24, 2011, 07:13:47 PM »
Much better  ;)
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline TheWinterEmissary

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 05:25:47 AM »
It appears that the site was down for a bit over 15 minutes starting from 10:00 PM PST/1:00 AM EST (it wouldn't do anything for me and there were no posts by anyone during that time).

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 05:44:46 AM »
Yes, same hour, third day in a row
Missing you, Md 

Offline Snowleopard

• Needs A Life
  • Small but sneaky.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 26, 2011, 08:49:53 AM »
I seem to notice a slowdown here on the West Coast between 12pm and 1:30pm.  This has happened on more than one day.

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #21 on: August 26, 2011, 02:32:18 PM »
It appears that the site was down for a bit over 15 minutes starting from 10:00 PM PST/1:00 AM EST (it wouldn't do anything for me and there were no posts by anyone during that time).

That's when the site does its daily backup, I believe.

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 26, 2011, 02:49:42 PM »
I imagined so, but it doesn't happened before, at least, not at that hour.
Missing you, Md 

Offline TheWinterEmissary

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 27, 2011, 05:29:01 AM »
Site was down again from around 10:00 PM PST / 1:00 AM EST (I forgot to check it until a couple of minutes afterwards) and the outage lasted until 19 minutes past the hour. 

Thanks to Priscellie for the info about site backup.  Hopefully this can be fixed, or at least shortened, in time.  But it's obviously understandable that at least some key personnel are distracted by more important things for the immediate future.  Good luck to all who will have to deal with the hurricane. 

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #24 on: August 28, 2011, 03:40:14 PM »
I don't think this is something that can be tinkered with.  It's an automated function of the board.  Is it really that problematic?

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #25 on: August 28, 2011, 04:07:26 PM »
1 am EST is the daily backup time of the boards.  In the old system, the backup used to take 20-30 minutes until we purged a lot of stuff from the system and moved servers (iirc), and then it took maybe 5.  Maybe.  Could be that the newer board software is partly causing the longer backup times.

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 28, 2011, 04:29:46 PM »
I haven't been aware of the daily backup slot for the servers, due to usually being fast asleep by that time...  :)

However, there's still the off and on slow response time of the site.  Prior to the switch to the new software, the site was almost always quite snappy.  Now, I'd say 60% of the time it's still snappy.  The rest of the time, though, pages have taken up to a minute to load.  If it's not an almost instantaneous page load like it is when it's running smoothly, it averages around 7-10 seconds to load a page for me.  Sometimes I get error messages that the browser can't connect to the site.  All of this happens during the hours I typically access the site, which is between 7:00am-11:00pm, so none of this should be related to the daily backup.
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Dina

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »
Perhaps is a problem of the time when occurred. I never knew the forum did that backup before. Obviously, it happened when I was not online.

I have no real problem with it, is a minor inconvenience and I only have to remember to say goodbye before or to wait for it to come back. Yesterday,  it was off line for a shorter time, anyway  :)
Missing you, Md 

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2011, 06:27:51 PM »
I take it as a hint to get off my rear and do something else for a while.  By the time I come back she's usually running smoothly again.

Just glad I have a forum to come back to.  :)

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #29 on: September 03, 2011, 07:24:51 PM »
I haven't been aware of the daily backup slot for the servers, due to usually being fast asleep by that time...  :)

However, there's still the off and on slow response time of the site.  Prior to the switch to the new software, the site was almost always quite snappy.  Now, I'd say 60% of the time it's still snappy.  The rest of the time, though, pages have taken up to a minute to load.  If it's not an almost instantaneous page load like it is when it's running smoothly, it averages around 7-10 seconds to load a page for me.  Sometimes I get error messages that the browser can't connect to the site.  All of this happens during the hours I typically access the site, which is between 7:00am-11:00pm, so none of this should be related to the daily backup.

Pretty sure the recent slowness of the site is caused by the massively increased traffic in the wake of Ghost Story:D