Author Topic: Response time?  (Read 7423 times)

Offline Piotr1600

• Posty McPostington
  • Not *quite* the Eye of Providence...
    • View Profile
    • Go For Throttle Up - Music you haven't heard
Response time?
« on: August 12, 2011, 04:22:03 PM »
Are the boards being extra-pokey for anyone but me?

I've tried from multiple computers on different connections/providers, and things just seem considerably slower responding for about the last couple of weeks or so.
My band: http://www.soundclick.com/goforthrottleup -

The real problem with the shallow end of the gene pool is that it isn’t deep enough to allow the depth charges to arm. - By "Hardware" on Larry Correia's website.

Offline Beefstew

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Response time?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2011, 04:31:27 PM »
A little bit.  Sometimes.  It's when I first try to get to the site.  It used to be near instant, but lately it's been taking a few seconds to load.
My opinion is so valuable, that when I give someone my two cents, I usually get back change.

Offline Chiroptera

• Needs A Life
  • Serious battitude
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2011, 04:45:54 PM »
Yes, but I've been using some rather pokey internet connections lately so mine could be due to that.
"I don't have a lot of experience with vampires, but I have hunted werewolves. I shot one once.  But by the time I got to it, it had turned back into my neighbors dog." -Dwight Schrute

"And remember, if you are bitten by a bat, you will convulse and turn into one; it is a scientific fact." -MST3K

Offline Piotr1600

• Posty McPostington
  • Not *quite* the Eye of Providence...
    • View Profile
    • Go For Throttle Up - Music you haven't heard
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2011, 09:04:47 PM »
Hmmm... If I hit "reply" it takes anywhere from 10 to 30+ seconds for a new screen to load, from either home or work accounts.
Occasioanlly everything will be as  fast as everything else, then... non-responsive.

I've opened tabs and had great response times from other sites while still waiting here...

Oh well... I'm sure its probably something on my end, but it seems weird.
My band: http://www.soundclick.com/goforthrottleup -

The real problem with the shallow end of the gene pool is that it isn’t deep enough to allow the depth charges to arm. - By "Hardware" on Larry Correia's website.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2011, 09:11:47 PM »
I've had that too.  I followed Priscellies note to go to google chrome and it helped, but the load time is still much slower than other sites.

Offline Howl

• Posty McPostington
  • Suit Up!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2011, 09:21:17 PM »
I've had that too.  I followed Priscellies note to go to google chrome and it helped, but the load time is still much slower than other sites.

Same thing here, I changed to google chrome and it helped but it is still slower. But I am also having weird internet connections here so it could be because of that ???
"Float like a butterfly, sting like a bee."

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2011, 09:22:48 PM »
I haven't had any issues on my end.  I'm running Firefox 5.0.1 on OS X 10.6.8 and the average load time for most pages is about a second or two.  If that.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2011, 09:27:10 PM »
Depends for me, and not on the browser (between FF and IE at home, with Safari at work) and not on the connection (FiOS at home, ginormous connection at work), but seemingly on random times of the day. Most of the time, it's fine (1-2 seconds on the load), but at other times, it can be most of a minute. Fred said it sounded like the boards were getting pounded now and then, which would seem to be consistent with my experience.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline parthagenon

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2011, 10:18:02 PM »
I'm running Chrome, and I kind of get the same thing- sometimes, the loading seems kind of slower than usual.  My internet is good, and my computer is pretty fast, so I don't think it's an issue on my end.  Maybe the site's just getting more traffic because of GS's recent release, and it's loading up the server?
"Battle not with monsters, lest you become a sad stain on the carpet, and if you gaze into the abyss, you will get very bored."
"No, the crab is immune to your charms.  You can, however, roll a seduction check for the cuttlefish."
-the DM

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2011, 10:28:29 PM »
I'm running Chrome, and I kind of get the same thing- sometimes, the loading seems kind of slower than usual.  My internet is good, and my computer is pretty fast, so I don't think it's an issue on my end.  Maybe the site's just getting more traffic because of GS's recent release, and it's loading up the server?

Pretty much what Fred was theorizing.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2011, 02:51:21 AM »
I'm still getting a lot of random slowdowns.  Most of the time everything is quite zippy, but sometimes a page will take ages to load, and I've gotten a number of connection/server error messages.  They apply across the board, no matter the browser I'm using, IE7 at work with a good connection, Firefox 6 or 7 at home with a faster connection, or on my phone.  Doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the slowdown/nonoperable periods--that is, they happen randomly throughout the day and night, which, unless the server is malfunctioning, doesn't seem to imply that the server is being overloaded.

Who knows?

I will bow to the better judgement of Iago and the likes of Count Shecknara.   ;D
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline TheWinterEmissary

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2011, 03:05:11 AM »
I've got random slowdowns too.  Never too bad, but there are times when it takes a second or two to load three pages and at other times it can take a minute or more for the same task.  I always use the same computer with Safari.

Offline Dina

• Has Collapsed Into a Singularity of Posts (a.k.a, "The Dina")
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2011, 03:07:44 AM »
I agree, it seems random. Perhaps a little better with Chrome, but sometimes is really slow. And normally, is very good.
Missing you, Md 

There are many horrible sights in the multiverse. Somehow, though, to a soul attuned to the subtle rhythms of a library, there are few worse sights than a hole where a book ought to be. Someone has stolen a book (Terry Pratchett)

Offline TheWinterEmissary

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2011, 05:23:07 AM »
Apparently I spoke too soon.  The site was down for me for about 10 minutes just now, from approx. 10:09 - 10:19 PM PST / 1:09 - 1:19 EST.  (no trouble with other sites). 

Offline Beefstew

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 05:26:22 AM »
Apparently I spoke too soon.  The site was down for me for about 10 minutes just now, from approx. 10:09 - 10:19 PM PST / 1:09 - 1:19 EST.  (no trouble with other sites).

I've been having many more issues lately too.  Of course, that may be intentional :) but I'm having them nonetheless.
My opinion is so valuable, that when I give someone my two cents, I usually get back change.