Author Topic: Anyone interested in a Dresdenite group meeting in the DC/VA/MD area?  (Read 30565 times)

Offline Coffeeworm

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in a Dresdenite group meeting in the DC/VA/MD area?
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2011, 07:53:01 PM »
I love lurking - but the indecision is driving me crazy. LOL

My husband and I will be at Tir Na Nog (Irish Pub) at HarborPlace at 6PM on Saturday and we would LOVE to have everyone join us there. There is plenty of parking nearby and it's a wonderful place to walk by the water afterwards.  For those going to ComicCon, you can take the skywalks and not play frogger with the traffic.  For those just coming to drink, there are several parking ramp nearby.  If anyone needs directions, let me know and I'll send you a link to Mapquest.

If someone would like to make reservations for everyone, that would be even better.

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2011, 08:09:03 PM »
I love lurking - but the indecision is driving me crazy. LOL
My husband and I will be at Tir Na Nog (Irish Pub) at HarborPlace at 6PM on Saturday and we would LOVE to have everyone join us there.

You beat me to it.  I was just signing in to suggest the same thing.  I second the choice and agree that the combo of parking ease and that ComicCon goers won't have to move cars makes this an ideal choice.  View is great.  What you say our great leader makes a reservation for us under name "Harry Dresden"?  ::) ;D
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2011, 10:35:41 PM »
All right, looks like Tir Na Nog it is!

I'll call and make a reservation for 15 people at 5:00.

Stay tuned to find out the riveting results of one man's journey into the wild that is making a group reservation in Baltimore...
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Sihnon

• Participant
  • Battle School Grad
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: August 17, 2011, 10:46:19 PM »
Excellent!  Sounds goods!  Count us in, we will see you all there!  ;D
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #64 on: August 17, 2011, 11:23:09 PM »
The Aquarium is in the Inner Harbor. If you're taking I-95 North, you want to get off at the I-395/ML King Blvd exit. Keep left and the exit turns into Howard Street. (Do not take MLK.) Follow it down two blocks and turn right onto Pratt Street; the convention center will be on your right. The Inner Harbor is two cities blocks down Pratt. There's two big shopping center/touristy things called Harborplace. All the restaurants are inside of that--except for Hard Rock Cafe which is across from the Aquarium.

I'm only suggesting the Inner Harbor because it's super close to the convention center, same side of the street, and the easiest place to get to. Plus comicon goers wouldn't have to move their cars. But I'm the newbie, so...

If you are going to the con, the best place to park is the Days Inn parking garage. It's right across the street from the convention center and usually has the best rates in the area: http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=08218

It's one thing knowing where it is and how to get there, it's another to have someone in the car screaming "THIS IS THE EXIT! NO, NOT THAT ONE, THIS ONE!"  I feel more comfortable not driving alone.  Also, easier to stay awake on the drive home after. 

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2011, 12:44:50 AM »
All right, here's the dealio:

We've got a reservation at Tir na Nog for 15 people at 5:00 under the name of Harry Dresden.  Here's the website, if anyone is interested: http://www.tirnanogbaltimore.com/homepage.php.  They've got directions and stuff about parking on there.  All good information for those of us (such as myself) who are not familiar with Baltimore and will be driving in.

On a rather amusing side note, it's pretty funny to call an Irish bar and have someone with an almost incomprehensible Asian accent answer the phone.  That was a fun five minutes trying to communicate the reservation details before she handed the phone off to a manager, who spoke (and understood) English just fine...  ;D

Reminds me of when I went to Spain a few years back--spent a couple nights frequenting an Irish pub in Madrid that was owned and operated by a Romanian family.

Anyhoo, look forward to seeing everyone there!

(and by the way, hopefully I won't be *the* loser that shows up at 5:00 and is stuck drinking by himself for an hour before anyone else shows up...  ;)
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2011, 10:42:45 AM »

Thanks! We all feel the same...no worries...it's just our social nerdliness that makes us worry...thanks for arranging & it'll be fun!  We had a good time @ the booksigning & this will be even better bc no pressure re waiting in line and getting drenched by sudden squalls! See ya there!

Offline DrkChapel

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2011, 01:22:51 PM »
Hmm, is it too late to get in on this? I live in the area, and would love to meet up with all of you. *flashes the big, sad, puppy dog eyes* Please?
"And isn't sanity just a one-trick pony, anyway? I mean, all you get is one trick...rational thinking. But when you're good and insane, ooh, ooh, ooh, the sky's the limit!"
- the Tick

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 18, 2011, 02:41:59 PM »
Hmm, is it too late to get in on this? I live in the area, and would love to meet up with all of you. *flashes the big, sad, puppy dog eyes* Please?

As you might guess, big, sad, puppy dog eyes go a long way with me, since, after all, my avatar is a golden retriever!

Habu987 is the grand master of this event, but it's an open event so am sure there is no problem joining in the fun.  Welcome!

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 18, 2011, 02:50:13 PM »
As you might guess, big, sad, puppy dog eyes go a long way with me, since, after all, my avatar is a golden retriever!

Habu987 is the grand master of this event, but it's an open event so am sure there is no problem joining in the fun.  Welcome!

And I can never pass up on the big, sad puppy dog eyes, so you're good to go, DrkChapel!  With your name on the list, that brings us up to 15 confirmed folks for this get together.

I've edited my post on the first page to get the attendance list up to date and to add in details about the meeting place/time.

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 18, 2011, 03:00:14 PM »
Thank you, great leader, for organizing this...it will be fun...

The Blackberry invite was so kind of you, and very funny b/c I am going to start calling my Blackberry "Bob"; however, poor Bob, like his namesake, has no arms to lift beers, no mouth to consume them and no bottom that needs a chair to sit in, so he doesn't need a reservation  ;)  In fact, don't tell Bob, but right now am trying to decide whether to turn him in for an Android vs. iPhone in February when my 2 year contract is up... :o

See y'all there!

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 18, 2011, 03:23:35 PM »
In fact, don't tell Bob, but right now am trying to decide whether to turn him in for an Android vs. iPhone in February when my 2 year contract is up... :o

Going off topic, I made the Blackberry-Android switch in March after having a Blackberry for three years.  Absolutely LOVE my Android phone!

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 18, 2011, 03:53:26 PM »
Going off topic, I made the Blackberry-Android switch in March after having a Blackberry for three years.  Absolutely LOVE my Android phone!

Good!  Greatful if you can fill me in on some pros-cons on Saturday!

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2011, 01:07:23 AM »
And I can never pass up on the big, sad puppy dog eyes, so you're good to go, DrkChapel!  With your name on the list, that brings us up to 15 confirmed folks for this get together.

I've edited my post on the first page to get the attendance list up to date and to add in details about the meeting place/time.

Okay, Cardnail and I are both strong "Maybe's..."  The spouses decided to they were going to Baltimore with us, even though they weren't going to BCC, and family first.

If I'm "released" early I'll be over.  Cardnail and his wife show up, they're both Dresdenphiles

Figging Mint

« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2011, 01:15:41 AM »
(and by the way, hopefully I won't be *the* loser that shows up at 5:00 and is stuck drinking by himself for an hour before anyone else shows up...  ;)

Nah, they have Loose Cannon on tap.  So half an hour at most.