Author Topic: Anyone interested in a Dresdenite group meeting in the DC/VA/MD area?  (Read 29521 times)

Offline Toe-mas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone interested in a Dresdenite group meeting in the DC/VA/MD area?
« Reply #45 on: August 11, 2011, 01:55:51 AM »
I had fun meeting with everyone in the Barnes & Noble Tyson's Signing. Wish I could have gone to the after signing hangout. I have pics in the site if anyone is interested.

Visit my site: www.facebook.com/thedresdenfilesnovels

Awesome!!!

Offline Zheryl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2011, 06:28:18 PM »
Bah!  I'd love to go to this, but alas it's too far to drive for a whim.   :'(  However, If Jim comes back for a signing next year we will so be there.  It was so much fun hanging out durring the signing.
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Offline Sihnon

• Participant
  • Battle School Grad
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2011, 09:03:09 PM »
Just bought my Baltimore CC tickets...where are we all meeting!?  Sounds like a blast!  8)
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb

Figging Mint

« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2011, 10:26:27 PM »
Just bought my Baltimore CC tickets...where are we all meeting!?  Sounds like a blast!  8)

I threw out a suggestion above for Pratt Street Alehouse; have yet to hear any countersuggestions.

Bah!  I'd love to go to this, but alas it's too far to drive for a whim.   

One of the nice things that might work out of these meetups is a relatively ready ride pool.

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2011, 03:26:36 AM »

Been a long time since I lived in Balto.  Just tell me where and when & i'll be there.  K
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Sihnon

• Participant
  • Battle School Grad
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2011, 11:34:27 PM »
I threw out a suggestion above for Pratt Street Alehouse; have yet to hear any countersuggestions.

Yeah, I'm okay with that.  I don't know Baltimore very well (I live by Tyson's Corner) but does anyone else have thoughts?

Habu987 - You can add me +1 :)
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb

Offline Axis37

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: August 16, 2011, 01:30:35 AM »
Hmmm....Other people in Baltimore dig Dresden...I wish I had known this sooner. Sign me up. As far as places...Fell's Point is a blast with lots of food and booze and most likely won't be affected by the Con too terribly much. I'll probably get a room there, it's only about a 5 minute drive from the Con to the Point.

Also, I'm always up for meeting with other Dresden types for mastication and boozification. I live about 30 minutes from Baltimore.

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 02:05:05 AM by Axis37 »

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: August 16, 2011, 02:03:21 PM »
All right, sorry it's taken me so long to get back in on this (the last five days have been extremely hectic workwise)!

I've updated the attendance list.

Looks like we've got two foodalcoholization venues proposed:
-Pratt Street Alehouse (downside is that it's close to the Con and might be packed)
-Some place in Fell's Point (downside is that we don't have a specific place picked out)

If we can get a place chosen today, I'll call and try to make a reservation tonight.

Which place do y'all want to eat and drink ourselves into a stupor at?  And what time should I make the reservation for?
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: August 16, 2011, 02:08:12 PM »
Here's a list of Fells Point Restaurants from Urbanspoon.  Looks like there's something for everyone!

1.Blue Moon Café
2.Salt Tavern
3.Obrycki's Crab House
4.Kali's Mezze
5.Red Star Bar and Grill
6.Ale Mary's
7.Ding How
8.Jimmy's
9.Peter's Inn
10.Pitango Gelato
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Revan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: August 16, 2011, 07:16:55 PM »
As someone who lives just north of Baltimore...

Don't count out the Inner Harbor. For those attending the con, there is a skywalk that leads directly from the convention center right to Harborplace. (No playing Frogger with traffic while trying to walk there!) There are a couple places there, too. M&S Grill, Cheesecake Factory, Tir Na Nog (Irish Pub)... http://www.harborplace.com/dining-entertainment

Plus, it's the same side of the street at the convention center, and a lot easier to find parking than Fells Point.

Offline Axis37

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: August 17, 2011, 12:09:10 AM »
The best parking in Fell's is the garage on Caroline and Thames; But I agree, there is frogger involved...or at the very least taxi cab...minus Travis Bickle.

I can certainly get behind the Inner Harbor, and then if anyone wants to explore the city later that's cool. I don't really know the harbor very well  since I usually hang out in Fell's Point/Canton; but I am cool with whatever the choice is.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2011, 01:07:56 AM »
Guys, I really do think I'm going to have to bail.  I need to conserve my money and all that jazz.  And all I know about Baltimore is B&N, Hard Rock Cafe, and the Aquarium.I got no clue where I'm going, and I don't navigate and drive well at the same time in unfamiliar territory.  It's just a personal comfort thing, since I don't think there is anyone who would come with me.  Also of import is the fact my mother has a stress fracture in her right foot, so no driving anywhere for her.  I get to be chauffeur for the next 3-6 weeks.

Figging Mint

« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2011, 01:27:32 AM »
And all I know about Baltimore is B&N, Hard Rock Cafe, and the Aquarium.I got no clue where I'm going, and I don't navigate and drive well at the same time in unfamiliar territory. 

FWIW, the inner harbor locales are spitting distance from the Aquarium.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2011, 01:53:04 AM »
Again, all i know is the Aquarium.  I don't know /where/ it is in the city, nor how to get there, not off the top of my head.

Offline Revan

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2011, 01:18:04 PM »
Again, all i know is the Aquarium.  I don't know /where/ it is in the city, nor how to get there, not off the top of my head.

The Aquarium is in the Inner Harbor. If you're taking I-95 North, you want to get off at the I-395/ML King Blvd exit. Keep left and the exit turns into Howard Street. (Do not take MLK.) Follow it down two blocks and turn right onto Pratt Street; the convention center will be on your right. The Inner Harbor is two cities blocks down Pratt. There's two big shopping center/touristy things called Harborplace. All the restaurants are inside of that--except for Hard Rock Cafe which is across from the Aquarium.

I'm only suggesting the Inner Harbor because it's super close to the convention center, same side of the street, and the easiest place to get to. Plus comicon goers wouldn't have to move their cars. But I'm the newbie, so...

If you are going to the con, the best place to park is the Days Inn parking garage. It's right across the street from the convention center and usually has the best rates in the area: http://www.daysinn.com/DaysInn/control/Booking/property_info?propertyId=08218
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:19:44 PM by Revan »