Author Topic: Anyone interested in a Dresdenite group meeting in the DC/VA/MD area?  (Read 30613 times)

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
Re: Anyone interested in a Dresdenite group meeting in the DC/VA/MD area?
« Reply #30 on: August 10, 2011, 05:22:38 AM »
It's a two/two-and-a-half hour drive for me.  And I'd be hitting the area probably around rush hour traffic, so maybe even closer to three.  Doable, yes.  Ideal... not so much.  I'll have to think on it.

Offline Sihnon

• Participant
  • Battle School Grad
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 10, 2011, 01:45:21 PM »
We were thinking of going to the ComicCon too. Also love the ideas of mixing up other nerdy events with Dresden fans. 

Okay, just another toss out idea.  How about we try to have a standing meet-up at a central-like location -"Every other month on the 2nd Saturday night at 6pm. Meet in the bar area.  Ask the Hostess for the 'Dresden party'"

We can meet up back at Tysons.  Or we can move it around.  One time its in the city.  Next meeting is in Ballston. Then maybe Alexandria - (there is a resturant called "Rustico"  they have an UBER beer selection and yummy pizza.)

Just brain storming :) 
"Shiny. Let's be bad guys." - Jayne Cobb

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 10, 2011, 01:53:28 PM »
@myyrdn :  Good news is Saturday traffic @ that time is not great but not nearly as bad as weekdays!  If you get hung up and need a place to crash Sat nite, I have a spare bedroom.  Note that you must NOT be allergic to Golden Retrievers, Doberman Pinschers, birds or cats, otherwise it could be fatal  :o

@Sihnon : I think getting together on a regular basis for beer, food and cheer would be a blast.  I'd be up for it.
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 10, 2011, 01:56:12 PM »
EDIT:  List of folks interested in meeting up over the weekend of the Baltimore Comic Con (August 20-21)

-Habu (myself)
-Tiracakes
-doink67
-Toe-mass
-(FM)
-Myyrdn (if we can guilt trip him  ;D)
-Coffeeworm
-Revan
-The Doctor (possibly) (By the way, just so we're clear, I'm the real Doctor, as evidenced by my avatar self photo.  This guy is just someone who has my name...  ;D)
-Heartsonycgr (possibly) Change that to definite, the Blackberry says so - my Bob "equivalent"  :o ;D
-Tiracakes?

Let me know if I missed anyone, or if you'd like to be added/removed.
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline The Doctor

• Conversationalist
  • Back off, man. I'm a system administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Antarctica Starts Here
« Reply #34 on: August 10, 2011, 04:22:36 PM »
Okay, just another toss out idea.  How about we try to have a standing meet-up at a central-like location -"Every other month on the 2nd Saturday night at 6pm. Meet in the bar area.  Ask the Hostess for the 'Dresden party'"
Perhaps meetup.com would be a better method of organizing such a regular gathering of fans.
"Do not injustice to another / Defend the weak and innocent / Let truth and honor always guide you / Let courage find a life within."

--The Cruxshadows, _Sophia_

Offline Cheesepusher

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2011, 04:24:05 PM »
You can add me to the con list as a maybe. As it stands I don't work that weekend but there is alsoa  50/50 chance that my only other coworker is getting terminated so I may end up working every weekend until they find a replacement.
"Speak softly and carry a big stick; you will go far." - Theodore Roosevelt

Figging Mint

« Reply #36 on: August 10, 2011, 04:26:30 PM »
You can add me to the con list as a maybe. As it stands I don't work that weekend but there is alsoa  50/50 chance that my only other coworker is getting terminated so I may end up working every weekend until they find a replacement.

If you work at a cheese place maybe we can come visit.

*passes out knives and water crackers*

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 10, 2011, 04:53:12 PM »
Updated the list to the latest current standing.

So, if we want to set up a semi regular meeting, what Burger King do we want to pick?  ;D
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 10, 2011, 04:55:48 PM »
And do we have any time/restaurant/meeting place suggestions for meeting up after the Con on that Saturday?  I saw P.F. Chang's mentioned.

I'm completely open, so once we decide on a place and time, I'll set up a reservation there under "Harry Dresden."
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."

Figging Mint

« Reply #39 on: August 10, 2011, 05:26:52 PM »
And do we have any time/restaurant/meeting place suggestions for meeting up after the Con on that Saturday?  I saw P.F. Chang's mentioned.

I'm completely open, so once we decide on a place and time, I'll set up a reservation there under "Harry Dresden."

http://www.prattstreetalehouse.com/  is stumbling distance away.

...prolly be jam-packed on Sats. tho.

Figging Mint

« Reply #40 on: August 10, 2011, 05:34:25 PM »
So, if we want to set up a semi regular meeting, what Burger King do we want to pick?  ;D

1 vote for Chinatown.

Offline Tiracakes

• Conversationalist
  • "BRING IT ON DARTH BATHROBE!!!!!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 10, 2011, 07:06:08 PM »

LOL Why am I mentioned twice? Unfortunately probably won't be making it. (I Didn't know I was on the list until now). My brother is having major surgery.   I had fun meeting with everyone in the Barnes & Noble Tyson's Signing. Wish I could have gone to the after signing hangout. I have pics in the site if anyone is interested.

Visit my site: www.facebook.com/thedresdenfilesnovels

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 10, 2011, 07:10:17 PM »
LOL Why am I mentioned twice? Unfortunately probably won't be making it. (I Didn't know I was on the list until now). My brother is having major surgery.   I had fun meeting with everyone in the Barnes & Noble Tyson's Signing. Wish I could have gone to the after signing hangout. I have pics in the site if anyone is interested.

:(

Scratched you off the list.

Figging Mint

« Reply #43 on: August 10, 2011, 07:14:47 PM »
I have pics in the site if anyone is interested.

Too funny.   By pic 41 you begin to show the sheen on people's faces.   At least I wasn't dripping into the book as I read it.

Offline cyanosaurus

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 11, 2011, 12:54:32 AM »
Hi! I've mostly been in the DFRPG chat, but I'm a Baltimorean who would love to be in on some dresden-related shenanigans. :D

I'll not be attending the con, but anything less than an hour from Baltimore will likely work for me (though, the closer the better, my car-thing is ornery.)

C
Tiny, but FIERCE.

DV cyanosaurus v1.2 YR0.25 FR0.15 BK(+) RP+(+++) JB TH(+) !WG CL++ SW-(+) BC(+) MC--(+++) SH [Murph++, Molly--, Lash+, New!ccio++, Lara---, Elaine+, Bianca----, Susan-(++), Lily-(+), Mab----, Lea----, Mavra----really, people?!----]