Author Topic: The truth about Fitz  (Read 58899 times)

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
She could also not be with him because of being dead.

Except there is a WoJ that she will be showing up again in another book.  Plus, while she could be dead now (except for the WoJ) or have kicked him out when he reached a certain age, he still would have received a loving (if very strange from our perspective) childhood and would probably know a lot more about survival than Fitz seems to if he had been raised by her during any portion of his life.

Offline toodeep

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Dark complexion, Mediterranean more than African. Angular, bird-of-prey-like nose. Hair is peroxide blond. Arrives early. Eyes' color between dark honey and poison ivy. Strong but not bulky, Harry likens him to a cobra? Newly arrived into Marcone's employ...

Hmmm, while my first thought upon reading this description here (but now while reading the book) was, "mediterranean"?  Like the connection on Madalain's phone?  Could he be a spy in Marcone's Organization from the Black Council?

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Except there is a WoJ that she will be showing up again in another book.

There was, a while ago. IIRC it was supposed to be this one, so I had been thinking that might have changed.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Lajos

• Conversationalist
  • The mind is a terrible thing...
    • View Profile
Except there is a WoJ that she will be showing up again in another book.

And, in TurnCoat, I believe it was, Injun Joe passed her regards to Dresden.

Offline Jared

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Hmmm, while my first thought upon reading this description here (but now while reading the book) was, "mediterranean"?  Like the connection on Madalain's phone?  Could he be a spy in Marcone's Organization from the Black Council?

Madeline's phone had called Algeria and Egypt, so that would work. But Binder said that the guy wasn't a native English speaker. Wouldn't Harry have mentioned an accent if Childs had one (did I just miss that?)?

Also, Childs referred to Marcone as his new employer. I don't really see Marcone making a newbie his rep to the BFS. Not if the BFS is important to him and not unless he was setting said rep up for a fall. Those points will have to wait for the next few books.

Did you not think think that Childs was a supernatural?

Offline sociotard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
I don't buy this one; ever-virgin is a core attribute for Valkyries.
For the Valkyries in Norse legend, yes.  (spoilered in case you haven't  read "Side Jobs"
(click to show/hide)
Even in winter, the cold isn't always bitter, and not every day is cruel.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
For the Valkyries in Norse legend, yes.  (spoilered in case you haven't  read "Side Jobs"

I have indeed; I read that para as Sigrun teasing Harry, plain and simple. Nothing says Valkyries can't flirt. and that para's full of salacious implication and not one direct claim that could get her into trouble.

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline sociotard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Why would she want to imply that she is no virgin?  To lie for the sake of lying?
Even in winter, the cold isn't always bitter, and not every day is cruel.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Actually, the whole Virgin thing does not appear in any of the classic sources, and was mostly a product of latter adaption into the romantic periods where any female character was supposed to be a virgin, and from the change in the usage of the term "maiden".  The classic legends had the Valkyries as Norns and royalty and shieldmaidens and such, but their virginity was no more or less integral to the role than any princess in a male dominated society;  most of the legends actually featured them falling in love with various heroes, often counter to the planned marriages of their fathers or Odin.

And thats just the classic legends.  We have a rather blatant in text citation of how the Virgin aspect is not part of the DV Valkyrie.  If you choose to disbelieve the text without any particular reasoning/evidence behind, thats up to you...
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
Why would she want to imply that she is no virgin?  To lie for the sake of lying?

To give him an enjoyable experience and set of images after they've just successfully fought together.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
And thats just the classic legends.  We have a rather blatant in text citation of how the Virgin aspect is not part of the DV Valkyrie.  If you choose to disbelieve the text without any particular reasoning/evidence behind, thats up to you...

I  choose to believe that any supernatural being that implies something rather than stating it outright is covering for not directly stating it.

The more obvious the implication, the more I believe this.  Because you can't go around sticking "legend has it" before every time you might possibly want an ambiguity.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile

I suggest you be satisfied with the fact that you have made your argument well enough to satisfy someone rational.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Aakaakaak

• Posty McPostington
  • Kittens taste great and stay crunchy in milk!
    • View Profile
I  choose to believe that any supernatural being that implies something rather than stating it outright is covering for not directly stating it.

The more obvious the implication, the more I believe this.  Because you can't go around sticking "legend has it" before every time you might possibly want an ambiguity.

So on Wikipedia, Sigrun (Gard) fell in love with Helgi, but her father has promised her to the son of king Granmarr. And then....it gets all Shakespearean and everybody dies. But thanks to Odin they're all reborn and stuff.

But, according to Gard, we shouldn't believe everything we read.
"Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" - Clarke
"Any sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology." - Niven
"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced." - Neurovore
"Sufficiently advanced technology my ass" - Dresden

Offline Granny3

• Participant
    • View Profile
Just a thought:  Perhaps Tera didn't abandon her son.  Perhaps he was stolen from her? 
Timeline Fitz's age - we don't know how long Tera had been with McFinn, either so they could have had a child earlier than the book in which they first appeared. 
I think this Tera/McFinn/Fitz's theory is very logical - excellent job!!!

Offline Icecream

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Umm ok maybe waaay off, but could Fitz in someway be Bob's son. Here me out, in GS Bob's "Human form" has gold-brown eyes, what if when Harry once let Bob out he ahh went along for a ride with someone, hey he apparently started an orgy once. Then if a baby resulted, would that kid be more prone to the spirit world, I don't know be able to hear it?

Then again the dark skin of Fitz fits more in line with Tera