Author Topic: iGoogle learning/writing possibilities  (Read 1778 times)

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
iGoogle learning/writing possibilities
« on: July 29, 2011, 11:17:30 PM »
I'm looking forward to fiddling with the iGoogle Facebook alternative. As my daughter tells me, you can have several people working on one document at a time, or over a space of time.  If I get it figured out, is anyone interested in coming up with some shared writing? Nothing planned for publishing, but more as an educational experiment? It is also locked, so only those wanting to participate may access it so our work would be better protected perhaps.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: iGoogle learning/writing possibilities
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2011, 09:16:17 PM »
Count me in!  I know Ive got several ideas that I know Ill never have the time to pursue on my own, and Ive been really wishing I had some sort of collaborative outlet for them.  I work much better when I have another mind to bounce ideas around with anyway.   ;D
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2011, 09:17:57 PM »
iGoogle?

Offline Apocrypha

• Conversationalist
  • As seen on tv
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2011, 10:39:20 PM »
That idea certainly sounds interesting.  Would we all write the same character or would we write separate characters from their own point of view in the same story?
I am not a narcissist. I humbly accept the fact that I'm extremely good looking, smart, and better than you.

City Of Heroes:  @Heathen Cross

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2011, 01:01:49 AM »
Hmm, I guess that is the sort of pertinent question I should have asked.  I was imagining a more global level collaboration on an overall work of fiction rather than a more character delineated type of thing (similar to the play by post RPs Ive seen).  Not saying Im not open to the other, though.

On the iGoogle thing, I think you were meaning Google+, the new facebook alternative?  iGoogle is a widget based Google homepage service, not unlike Google Desktop.  IF you are simply looking for an online service that allows multiple people to collaborate on a single work without having the hassle of passing around revisions, Ive had good luck in the past with both GoogleDocs and Obsidian Portal, the latter being an online collaboration tools geared toward RPG games (DnD and such), and is similar to a rather intuitive sort of wiki, at least how Ive used it before.  I highly recommend it.
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Sir Huron Stone

• Posty McPostington
  • Just another day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2011, 01:31:29 AM »
I'd be down to help...
Some people are like slinkies; they're utterly useless, yet you can't help but smile as they fall down the stairs.

Offline shades of grey

• O. M. G.
  • Cardboard wings and knicker elastic.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 05:18:46 PM »
I'd be down to help...

Me too.  Have not done anything like this before but posting in some of the threads here has whetted my appetite.