Author Topic: Destroyed items and the consequences  (Read 1608 times)

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Destroyed items and the consequences
« on: July 29, 2011, 07:08:19 AM »
Hi,
in the novels of Harry Dresden, I read that regularly one (or more) of Harry's items are destroyed, molten, burning etc. In the rulebook, I have found nothing that relates to that. So, how can (in the game) items be destroyed or damaged and what happens then? Are they totally useless, will some kind of regenerate or can the owner replace them with another item?

Offline Radijs

• Conversationalist
  • Fhtagn-Didley!
    • View Profile
Re: Destroyed items and the consequences
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 08:17:04 AM »
It depends on what gets destroyed. Harry's blasting rod bites it plenty of times through the series and that could work as a major consequence or something of the like because Harry can replace it, it just takes him time and effort.
The same could count for other posessions like the infamous Blue Beetle, books
(click to show/hide)
, etc.

Something bigger like his whole home burning down might work as an extreme consequence or something that would be handled outside of the 'normal' rules requiring significantly more effort to replace if it can be replaced at all.
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 09:14:15 AM »
Plus, if you loose a Focus Item that is tied to one of your Rotes, you can't cast that Rote any more until you replace the Focus Item.

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 09:44:47 AM »
Plus, if you loose a Focus Item that is tied to one of your Rotes, you can't cast that Rote any more until you replace the Focus Item.
You can still cast the same spell as a non rote spell though, so it isn't all that bad.

I would not see losing a focus item or getting it destroyed as a consequence. I would probably handle them as part of a concession. It is after all a mayor inconvenience for any wizard type, so it would fit there perfectly. Something like "Ok, the guy leaves you alone for now, before he beats you to a pulp, but when he kicked your blasting rod from your hands, you heard it snap in two. It is going to take some time to replace it, and you have one more reason to hate that guy."

Consequences should not be tied to an item, in my opinion.

As to replacing them, the character would either have to devote a few scenes to making the new item (maybe 1 scene per focus item slot devoted to the item, probably more), or it would be replaced "automatically" behind the scenes between case files. Losing an item like that is not just like losing a tool, you don't just go about and buy a new one. One the other hand, not having it can become quite lucrative in the way of gathering fate points, when it is compelled a few times.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 09:51:40 AM by Haru »
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2011, 09:48:20 AM »
That's the thing and i found nothing in the rules...
Handling it as a consequence might work. The severity of the consequence could be reflecting the duration of the malfunction (mild consequence = the item get's back to functioning a scene later, severe functioning = get a new one) and the power of the item (obviously, loosing a +1 control item ist less distressing than lossing a +3 control/+2 power item).

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2011, 09:55:04 AM »
I edited my post above.

As a whole, see what works for your story. If the character has time to work on a new focus item, why destroy it in the first place? If on the other hand he loses his item at a crucial point in the story, he won't be able to replace it in time for the big fight. It comes down to one thing again: what makes for a better story ;)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Tsunami

• Posty McPostington
  • Not delicate.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2011, 10:03:27 AM »
Two ways an item can be destroyed.

1. someone destroys it. No mechanical effect other than that the item is simply gone. It has to be replaced, which takes Ingame time to do. Once enough time has passed, you have a new item. (Unless a significant milestone happened in between, the new item is exactly like the old one, rules wise)

2. this is not in the raw, but i would let a Player decide to have a Focus item destroyed instead of taking a mental consequence in some cases. When absorbing backlash for example. Or maybe even for physical stress, but that would be less likely.

Harry's blasting rod had this fate once or twice, when Harry threw a particularly strong evocation.
I'd let that cancel out, depending on item importance, a mild or possibly a moderate consequence, but not more.

Your house burning down could be a social consequence... how severe it would be is very variable. If you have a really high resources skill... then it might not be worth anything. Marcone would simply get a new place for example. Otoh if you're like Harry, then loosing your Place to live could be a severe or even extreme consequence. (I'd go with severe, but its situational)
I would not let loosing your House replace a consequence. When you loose a Focus item, there is a mechanical disadvantage involved. This disadvantage can replace a consequence.
If your house burns down, there is no mechanical effect. So it works as a description of a consequence (Aspect: "Homeless") but not instead of one. The Same goes for all other possessions you might have.
Loosing them can be a consequence, but it can not replace one.

Offline MegaPuff75

• Conversationalist
  • You say "vindictive jerk" like it's a bad thing
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 05:20:00 AM »
The damage to foci might be considered fallout from a failed discipline roll for spell casting.
DV MegaPuff75 v1.2 YR6 FR0.3 BK++ RP++ !JB TH++ WG CL SW BC+ MC----
http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?54:70:18:23:5:6:22:26:19:27:9:37:16:41:18:28:5:5:
Quantum Physics: proof the universe was built by the lowest bidder

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 05:21:47 PM »
I'd allow a focus item to be destroyed instead of backlash.  Probably 2 stress for each bonus the item gives (so Blasting Rod with +1 Offensive Control would be worth 2 stress to be destroyed).  At a minimum, I wouldn't let them get it back until next session. 

Although maybe 2 is too little.  Unfortunately 4 seems too much.