Author Topic: Werespider  (Read 3310 times)

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
Werespider
« on: July 27, 2011, 01:25:12 AM »
I'm working on a Spider Were-Form character concept, and I was considering using Echoes of the Beast's Beast Trappings to represent web spinnerets.  It would be a trapping of Might, that could only be used after a successful grapple. A Might roll would be required to wrap the target in webbing, and they would be considered to be continually grappled by a block of 2 less than the Might roll, representing the webbing. Does this sound good, or is it too powerful?

Also, I know that Beast trappings extend to the Human form, but I like the idea of the character retaining his spinnerets. I picture them transferring to his elbows.
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
Re: Werespider
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 02:21:31 AM »
Breath weapon, to spit out a web at people(using weapons).  That's how I'd do a web.  Instead of damage, it does a Block against all actions.  

Then maybe you're tethered to the person via the web and you'd run it like a normal grapple, but the grapple would take place over multiple zones.  The rules are already there for moving target(reeling them in) damaging them (suffocating them or tightening the webs) etc...

I'm not sure how you'd do it if you wanted the web to do all the grappling while you did other actions in consecutive rounds.

Either a custom power that works like the "orbius" spell... (-2 channelling power but the fluff would be spider related...like take physical stress every time you use it to represent the attack using up the limited supply of spider goo in your spinnerettes.

The other way could be a Maneuver "grappled" or "in a cocoon" that you could invoke for effect (so you wouldn't be able to do the damage every round, but you could get the sticky aspect.)  

I don't see Echoes of the Beast being able to do what you want except, If you want to do it in melee(as you've mentionned), after you've already grappled them, I can see you using your free maneuver(from the grapple) to get them "cocooned" - then invoke for effect.  Making them unable to act until they get free of the maneuver.  

« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 02:35:45 AM by Taran »

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 04:10:38 AM »
I'd write it up as a two point power to do grappling at range using might +2.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 04:31:51 AM »
I don't think I want it as a ranged weapon (I don't think many spiders actually do that), I want to be able to wrap a grappling opponent up like a spider storing its food. And I was trying to fit it into an ability minor enough to work as a trapping.

If what I came up with is too powerful, what about splitting the Might roll into Block strength and Duration (rounding down, of course)? Or perhaps make it ablative, where a victim's attempts to escape weaken the block strength by that many successes?

If those are still too gnarly, I'll probably opt for Taran's Maneuver/Aspect route.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 04:57:46 AM by computerking »
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline EdgeOfDreams

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 05:36:10 AM »
I feel the kind of ability you're talking about is too mechanically complex to be a valid trapping for Echoes of the Beast.  A flat +1 to grapple rolls, ala the Wrestler stunt or Inhuman Strength would be more within the limits of that power.  You can easily flavor that as using webbing to make your grapples harder to escape without needing to invent a new power for it.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 05:45:16 AM »
Dunno if this'll help, but Echoes Of The Spider has been discussed before:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,24345.0.html

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:09:59 AM »
To wrap up someone a werespider should have caught him in a web like normal spiders do. So first I would give the spider the ability to build a web. Have to look at the rules how to do that... ::)

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 12:29:24 PM »
I feel the kind of ability you're talking about is too mechanically complex to be a valid trapping for Echoes of the Beast.  A flat +1 to grapple rolls, ala the Wrestler stunt or Inhuman Strength would be more within the limits of that power.  You can easily flavor that as using webbing to make your grapples harder to escape without needing to invent a new power for it.

Hmm... perhaps...

To wrap up someone a werespider should have caught him in a web like normal spiders do. So first I would give the spider the ability to build a web. Have to look at the rules how to do that... ::)

Aha... You have a point....

Dunno if this'll help, but Echoes Of The Spider has been discussed before:

http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,24345.0.html

Ooh! Thank You, We have a winner! Craftsmanship Web traps FTW!

Thank you all for letting me bounce ideas off of you.
www.savethevillain.com

Offline TitaniumMan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 11:45:41 PM »
I play a spider-esque creature.  We simply turned Breath Weapon into a -1 Webbing power that let you get a free tag with the Sticky Aspect.

Offline gojj

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2011, 01:02:42 AM »
I wouldn't make webbing part of Echoes of the Beast, I'd just make it it's own power, the suggestion about an offshoot of a breath weapon sounded good to me. My reasoning is this,  Echoes gives you slightly heightened senses in one specific area and adds one trapping (or add 1 to an existing trapping) and webbing sounds more like a power than a trapping too me. I'd advise something along the lines of: +1 to alertness (Avoiding Surprise) due to spiders being able to sense air movements on their hairs, and +1 to athletics (Climbing). I like the idea of Spiderweb, but I just don't see Echoes of the Beast as the proper place to put it.

Your enhanced grapple would come from tagging the aspect "All tied up" or similar from your webbing power.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2011, 01:04:58 AM by gojj »

Offline tetrasodium

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2011, 01:45:38 AM »
what kind/size spider? 

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2011, 12:31:07 AM »
what kind/size spider?
I was thinking tarantula, and about four feet tall (Not taking Diminutive size).

I don't think it is too much to have the trapping be the Ability to put a "Web Trap" aspect on a zone with a successful Craftsmanship roll, that can be tagged for +2 to a block against movement.

Honestly, I think using Breath weapon to represent webbing is a little odd. How many spiders actually shoot webbing at their victims? (And the giant spider from Godzilla on Monster Island doesn't count) :)
www.savethevillain.com

Offline TitaniumMan

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 01, 2011, 12:47:29 AM »
Honestly, I think using Breath weapon to represent webbing is a little odd. How many spiders actually shoot webbing at their victims? (And the giant spider from Godzilla on Monster Island doesn't count) :)

My character does :V  Just like Spider-Man, except she releases them from slits in her palms leading to spinnerets deep in her arms.  That's why I went with Breath Weapon - it's the only real power I found where you can expel something like that.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 01:16:06 AM »
As a note: because of the abstract nature of stress & consequences, a non-lethal attack (such as webbing) can be represented as a plain old ordinary attack.  A taken out result would always be something like "The enemy is now trussed up and can't move until the webbing is taken off", and consequences could be things like "thoroughly webbed" (minor - can be cleaned off eventually but not in combat), or "sprained ankle" (moderate - either an injury from dodging, or an injury from having your foot suddenly glued to the ground), or, etc.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 01:58:33 AM »
As a note: because of the abstract nature of stress & consequences, a non-lethal attack (such as webbing) can be represented as a plain old ordinary attack.  A taken out result would always be something like "The enemy is now trussed up and can't move until the webbing is taken off", and consequences could be things like "thoroughly webbed" (minor - can be cleaned off eventually but not in combat), or "sprained ankle" (moderate - either an injury from dodging, or an injury from having your foot suddenly glued to the ground), or, etc.

Yes, quite understandable. But I still think ranged webs doesn't model the Spider existence closely enough. It's Fine for others (Like you, TitaniumMan), but for me, I'd rather pull the webbing from my spinnerets manually, more like the spider I emulate.

Note: the character I'm making has a Trouble of "Conflicting Natures", and is expected to at some point be compelled to run off into the woods to do spidery stuff instead of changing back and rejoining the party after a fight. Perhaps it's my concept of the shifter whose creature nature is very strong that's coloring my view of Spider-Man style web shooting.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2011, 02:01:55 AM by computerking »
www.savethevillain.com