Author Topic: Shape Shifting, Modular abilities, and the like and how they work  (Read 2058 times)

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Shape Shifting, Modular abilities, and the like and how they work
« on: September 30, 2010, 11:19:25 PM »
Is swapping powers (using modular abilities), using Beast Change or Gaseous Form a supplemental, Full or Free action? It doesnt state under the power that it uses any type of action.

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Shape Shifting, Modular abilities, and the like and how they work
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2010, 11:38:10 PM »
The rule you are looking for is under the initial description of shapeshifting on YS177: "Unless explicitly noted otherwise, shapeshifting may be done as a supplemental action."  Since the two shapeshifting powers you mentioned don't explicitly note otherwise, use that rule.

Note that there are several shapeshifting powers that do specify action types, therefore taking precidence over the above:
* Modular Abilities: "You may shapeshift your form to take on a variety of abilities, taking a full action to change them around." (YS177)
* True Shapeshifting: "You may take on nearly any humanoid or beastly form as a supplemental action.  Changing into something else—say, a tree, a vacuum cleaner, a water bed—takes a longer amount of time, usually several actions, or even minutes, depending on how different." (YS177)

Offline Baron Hazard

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2010, 11:42:02 PM »
Hmmm... apparently i need to pay more attention. lol. thanks Becq. :D

Offline Becq

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 12:15:29 AM »
Any time!  Hey, it's a biiiig book...

Offline CBIrish

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2010, 10:04:12 PM »
Here's a supplemental question - How do Catches effect the number of points used out of your pool?

For example: If you have 4 points to allocate and you select Supernatural Toughness with a 3 point catch - does this mean it only takes 1 point out of your pool of modular abilities or does it count as the unmodified 4pts?
Some people call me morally bankrupt.  I like think of myself as free-spirited . . . and morally bankrupt.

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2010, 10:08:12 PM »
That depends.  As noted in the book, if the catch is something you can change by re-allocating your powers, it's essentially a zero point catch.  But if, say, the catch is *always* silver (+2 for accessibility, +1 for researchability) no matter what sort of shapeshifting shenanigans you're up to, then yes, you could take Supernatural Toughness for only 1 point worth of the modular pool.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2011, 03:21:13 PM »
Okay, I was wondering about the Catch and Modular Abilities and this post was already discussing just that, so I'm using some forum-necromancy on the thread. Don't tell the Wardens, though!

That depends.  As noted in the book, if the catch is something you can change by re-allocating your powers, it's essentially a zero point catch.  But if, say, the catch is *always* silver (+2 for accessibility, +1 for researchability) no matter what sort of shapeshifting shenanigans you're up to, then yes, you could take Supernatural Toughness for only 1 point worth of the modular pool.

Anyhoo, my question is this: you decide you want your Catch to be fire, which is +4, as it easy to come by and a rather often used weapon against anything. For purposes of toughness and recovery powers, this would mean that you can't ever emulate Inhuman Toughness and/or Inhuman Recovery, because they would cost you no points from your pool, going by the above example. Would this mean you must always select a suit of toughness powers above 4 points? I.e. Inhuman Toughess and Supernatural Recovery?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2011, 03:26:22 PM »
I'd say the power/catch pairs follow the same rule as if you'd buy them per the normal rules, so inhuman toughness, a -2 ability with a +4 catch of fire would still cost you 1 form point from modular abilities, as would supernatural toughness.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2011, 03:30:01 PM »
Okay, stupid, I could've figured that out myself :p But, usually a Catch applies to the combinated toughness powers (Toughness and Recovery), so would you say Inhuman Toughness and Recovery would cost -1 together? Or be more hardline and charge -1 per power?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2011, 03:37:46 PM »
Yes, they would cost -1 together, just like if you bought them from your refresh.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal