Poll

Which reader would you buy as an author? I figure you preference will be similar to mine.

Kindle (give version)
11 (68.8%)
Border's book thing
2 (12.5%)
I-pad
3 (18.8%)
Verizon I-pad equivalent
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Author Topic: Borders gone, I'm forced to get an e-reader. **arghh**  (Read 6633 times)

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
Re: Borders gone, I'm forced to get an e-reader. **arghh**
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 02:29:58 PM »
For what its worth, the biggest problem with an iPad (and likely other tablets as well, but that's the one i have experience with) isn't even so much the reading in sunlight, its the HEAT.  They overheat rather quickly in direct sunlight, or even in the shade if you live in a warm, southern location, and shut themselves off.  Then you have to get it into a cool, AC environment and let it sit for a while before the thing will turn back on.  As an outdoor device of any kind its somewhat lacking.  Again, though, that may not be much of an issue where you live.   

<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2011, 02:54:22 PM »
Elise and I use the Barnes and Noble Nook, the verison with wifi but no 3G connection.  Good in sunlight, generally quite handy.

Offline AdamPepper

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 08:33:54 PM »
I'm sorry to see Borders go, but I love my Kindle.  It took me a short time to get used to it, but now, just like my music collection, I'm all digital.  I still check books out of the library from time to time but I dont expect to purchase many paper books anymore.

Offline Quantus

• Special Collections Division
  • Needs A Life
  • He Who Lurks Around
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2011, 08:55:08 PM »
One more thing I did not know until recently:  The Kindle with the 3G access (as opposed to the WiFi only version)  does not require any form of contract or monthly fee.  Its not like an iPad that likes to think of itself as a cell phone, and charges you for a data plan type service.  Getting the 3G version will only cost you more money at the time of purchase, and after that you can access your eBook library, the internet, and whatever else the kindle does these days from where ever you are (coverage notwithstanding), whereas the WiFi would still require an external source of internet, and whatever bandwidth or data usage fees that come with it.  The browser is pretty basic, can't do animations, flash (ie youtube) etc, but for blogs, news pages and other general content it handles it fine. 

And let me say it again, NO MONTHLY FEE  :o:)
<(o)> <(o)>
        / \
      (o o)
   \==-==/

“We’re all imaginary friends to one another."

"An entire life, an entire personality, can be permanently altered by just one sentence." -An Accidental Villain

Offline meg_evonne

• Posty McPostington
  • With an eye made quiet by the power of harmony
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2011, 04:14:31 AM »
Finally made the jump. Your advice was invaluable, that and consumer reports.

I swept the gambit--Kindle was on the final three, because of its readabiliity in sunlight, but I also wanted to use it for writing. That kept me looking at the ipad, which I've never used mac and the new galaxy tab (the less expensive one). The reviews really hit the ipad hard for lack of ease in switching between word and mac.

Bottom line, still kicking and screaming and in withdrawl for the physical page, I bought the Galaxy with a small keypad.  I'll upload writing projects onto the Amazon cloud and pray they fix their privacy issues quickly. I doubt anyone is going to be hacking my stuff anyway.  LOL

So I have downloaded my first kindle books from Amazon.

I will so miss you Borders and  their local knowledgable staff. Thank you all.
"Calypso was offerin' Odysseus immortality, darlin'. Penelope offered him endurin' love. I myself just wanted some company." John Henry (Doc) Holliday from "Doc" by Mary Dorla Russell
Photo from Avatar.com by the Domestic Goddess

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2011, 12:19:45 AM »
Just bought the Nook. God damn, these things are DANGEROUS!!!  I mean, you can own any book instantly!  That kind of power, in the hands of someone like me, is truly scary. ;D
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2011, 01:56:59 AM »
Just bought the Nook. God damn, these things are DANGEROUS!!!  I mean, you can own any book instantly!  That kind of power, in the hands of someone like me, is truly scary. ;D

That was one of the swaying factors in my decision to purchase the Sony Reader. No 3G, no wifi, it HAS to hook up to an authorized computer in order to purchase. That kind of temptation minimization is invaluable. :D
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline AdamPepper

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2011, 03:19:50 AM »
Indeed they are dangerous.  Dangerously convenient!  I love my one-click.

Offline Paynesgrey

• Bartender
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2011, 02:37:08 PM »

My phone's Nook App tells me I have 97 books on my phone...

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2011, 02:39:10 PM »
My phone's Nook App tells me I have 97 books on my phone...

So how many joo got on your Nook?
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2011, 02:52:40 PM »

Especially when you start browsing all the .99 cent books. I'm on amazon all the time checking out books for my Kindle..."Oh theres one, only .99 cents!" *Click* "Oh there's another one! Hey...it's only .99 cents no big deal!" *click* and on and on until eventually I'm wondering how $20.00 was charged from various amazon purchases  ;D
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline Interitus

• Conversationalist
  • Ignore everything to the right.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2011, 11:02:47 PM »
Nook. Don't actually own one, but I know a few people who are e-book pioneers. They recommend it over the others.

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 02:27:31 AM »
Nook. Don't actually own one, but I know a few people who are e-book pioneers. They recommend it over the others.

Depends on what you're looking for. For connectivity and general flexibility, Kindle's the way to go. I, on the other hand, just wanted to read books and not have a ginormous slab of reader, so I got the Sony Pocket. Individual needs. But the new Nook ("Simple Touch"?) is VERY attractive.

Offline LizW65

• Posty McPostington
  • Better Red than dead...
    • View Profile
    • elizabethkwadsworth.com
« Reply #28 on: August 26, 2011, 12:26:40 PM »
Yep, in my case, it's kind of like giving an alcoholic the keys to the liquor store.  I really have to watch myself.  Fortunately, there's a ton of free stuff on Project Gutenberg.
"Make good art." -Neil Gaiman
"Or failing that, entertaining trash." -Me
http://www.elizabethkwadsworth.com

Offline black omega

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 26, 2011, 10:08:10 PM »
Best of luck with the Galaxy, that sounds like a great choice.  That's one of the reasons I love Kindle.  I can keep my books on my Kindle as well as in my laptop and my main computer.  And the ease of getting a book is so dangerous.  But I'm a product of the digital age.  I listen to my music on my phone or old ipod or computer.  I read books on the computer or kindle.  I wonder if someday physical books will be where vinyl is now.