Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 222883 times)

Offline IrNot1337

• Lurker
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 46-FINISH **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #105 on: July 28, 2011, 08:42:25 PM »
I just realized the fight between Bob and his Bad Self was never resolved from what I know. Did he/they get stuck in the NeverNever for Harry to rescue when going to court?

Or did I miss something being mentioned about Bob sitting in Butter's flashlight case at the end?

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 28, 2011, 08:44:27 PM »
So, at the end there with Molly and Corpsetaker, when Corpsetaker puts a bullet into the back of Harry's head: I can only imagine how that must have seemed to Molly under her veil. There's Harry again, and he's just been re-killed in front of her eyes. Might have something to do with the fury she directs at Corpsetaker right after that.

Whoa.  I didn't even think about that part!
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline Glorificus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 28, 2011, 09:02:56 PM »
Who got Morgan's sword?
What if pigs flew around on the backs of sparkly vampires?

The best thing about my faerie godmother is that the creepy just keeps on coming. p. 273

Offline ethanjf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 28, 2011, 09:41:11 PM »
No, the simplest explanation is usually the best. Look at how Demonreach talks. It uses odd words for things. It would not sound right if Demonreach called it a "tree". Parasite is the sort of odd word Demonreach would use to refer to the tree.

And the distinction you refer to is hardly important. My body digests food and my parasites aid in the digestion process. Just two different ways of referring to a process at different levels.

Except that the "parasite" is specifically mentioned in connection with the circulation of blood, not of digestion. Remember the tree is associated with IV tubes going into Harry. But *something* still needs to keep his heart beating. I think that some fragment of Lash remaining behind is the most likely explanation.

Some other notes:
1. I too noticed the huge unresolved fight between Good/Evil Bob... And in the Nevernever no less, where Harry's presumably headed now. Will be interesting to see what happens.
2. Will also be interesting to see how Harry's relationship with Lea changes now that he's a fellow member of the Winter Court -- and her rival in power.
3. Am I the only one who saw this book as definitely putting the kibosh on Harry/Molly? p. 442: "...and crushes probably didn't last for years. Did they? They faded. Molly's feelings hadn't, but I didn't reciprocate them. I loved her to pieces but I was never going to be in love with her."  That seems pretty definite to me....
4. Re: did Mab lie? Uriel did not whisper "SHE lies." Just "Lies." And the Fae are more than capable of making you believe untrue things without actually lying in the form of the words themselves, as we know. So I don't think anything changed there.
5. Where the hell do the Outsiders come in to play in all of this? My current speculation is that this is all the culmination of a long-term plot by Lucifer in conjunction with the Outsiders to overthrow the established order of the Universe. He cannot hope to defeat God as is -- balance between good and evil and all that. But if he brings in a force from outside this universe, maybe he can .. tip the balance? and everything we've seen so far is leading up to that?

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 28, 2011, 09:47:34 PM »
I just realized the fight between Bob and his Bad Self was never resolved from what I know. Did he/they get stuck in the NeverNever for Harry to rescue when going to court?

Or did I miss something being mentioned about Bob sitting in Butter's flashlight case at the end?

Somebody asked that question at the Kansas City Q&A, Jim said in his sing song voice "i'm not gonna tell you"

Who got Morgan's sword?

From what i understand, each sword is made specifically for a person. So it's magic would be useless to a different person.
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

Offline john4200

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 28, 2011, 10:14:13 PM »
Except that the "parasite" is specifically mentioned in connection with the circulation of blood, not of digestion. Remember the tree is associated with IV tubes going into Harry. But *something* still needs to keep his heart beating.

Why do you assume something needs to keep the heart beating? The tree could be filtering the blood and providing pressure to circulate the blood as well. Which seems to be what you said in your first sentence, anyway ("circulation").
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 10:40:42 PM by john4200 »

Offline Bones

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 28, 2011, 10:28:11 PM »
I wasn't able to participate in this "book club" style reading of the GS this time because of my travel schedule, but I just want to say thanks to Skinsfan (and mods) for doing it. I hope it continues and I can participate for real the next time.  :)

Offline cooperwalls

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 28, 2011, 10:40:32 PM »
Jim, Jim, Jim.

So when is the next book coming out?  NOW I HAVE TO WAIT AGAIN!

It was worth the extra 3 months needed to put this one together this way.

Offline laura_be

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 28, 2011, 11:09:54 PM »
3. Am I the only one who saw this book as definitely putting the kibosh on Harry/Molly? p. 442: "...and crushes probably didn't last for years. Did they? They faded. Molly's feelings hadn't, but I didn't reciprocate them. I loved her to pieces but I was never going to be in love with her."  That seems pretty definite to me....

It seemed that way to me too. But people in this forum make you think about that one. So, I went back and read, then I got confused because maybe he was just in denial. But (maybe I'm just too much of a "shipper" and I just prefer him with Murph and that's clouding my judgement because I'm so not seeing what most people are seeing now regarding the Harry/Molly thing) I'm back to: it seemed pretty final that Harry just doesn't love her that way.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2011, 11:22:55 PM by laura_be »
Somebody please ask Jim in the next Q&A? (since I probably won't ever get to): Murphy's role in the story, has it been planned since the beginning or has it evolved naturally over the course of the series? Is her future planned now?

DV laura_be V1.0 YR4 BK+ JB TH++ WG MC---- SH(Murphy+++++) TT--

Offline habu987

• Conversationalist
  • Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 28, 2011, 11:45:23 PM »
It seemed that way to me too. But people in this forum make you think about that one. So, I went back and read, then I got confused because maybe he was just in denial. But (maybe I'm just too much of a "shipper" and I just prefer him with Murph and that's clouding my judgement because I'm so not seeing what most people are seeing now regarding the Harry/Molly thing) I'm back to: it seemed pretty final that Harry just doesn't love her that way.

Your Harry/Murphy feelings are *obviously* clouding your judgement!  :P

I didn't really ship Harry/Molly before this book, but all of Harry's protestations regarding his lack of romantic interest in Molly came across as him being in denial to me.  Especially with how he normally keeps his head where the sun don't shine in regards to women.  ;D
Lt. Commander Habu reporting for duty as the 1st Officer of the USS Hollyprise, Captain Dresden.

"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things."
-Marine General "Chesty" Puller

DF Purity: 76.8% - Brute Squad

Offline nanuq

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 28, 2011, 11:51:44 PM »
Was there ever a real chance of a Harry/Molly romance?  Even leaving apart the age difference, the sheer inappropriateness of a romance between a wizard and his apprentice, and the Doom of Damocles, you'd think even Harry would know better than to risk being torn limb from limb by the only dark power that even he fears.   I refer, of course, to Molly's mother, Charity.  And Michael would let her do it.

Offline rose29206

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 28, 2011, 11:56:08 PM »

I didn't really ship Harry/Molly before this book, but all of Harry's protestations regarding his lack of romantic interest in Molly came across as him being in denial to me.  Especially with how he normally keeps his head where the sun don't shine in regards to women.  ;D

I don't really know where I stand on this. I can see what you're saying here about denial (he keeps referring to how attractive she is before reminding himself? the reader? that he knew her in diapers), but that could be fact, not denial. I'm still interested to see how the whole Murphy thing will play out. Regardless, I think Harry's going to have to at least address Molly's feelings at some point, now that he's recognized that it isn't just a fleeting crush.
Harry Lives.

Offline ethanjf

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 29, 2011, 12:01:44 AM »
Why do you assume something needs to keep the heart beating? The tree could be filtering the blood and providing pressure to circulate the blood as well. Which seems to be what you said in your first sentence, anyway ("circulation").

Well, maybe it's just me but providing nutrients seems a very "plant-like" thing to do--plants are full of liquid that contains sugars, etc. But a beating heart is something unique to animals. Couple other reasons in support of it's being Lash:

1. May be just me but the emphasis on "parasite" (repeated a couple times, deliberately [I think] mysteriously so) made me think there was something more to it than the tree.

2. From an old comment by Jim:
Q:  Does Lasciel's shadow get to heaven because she redeemed herself?
A:  The answer to that is so much more complicated than is easy to give, especially without giving out extra story and ruining the fun.  No.  Lasciel's spirit didn't go to heaven.  And now, (sing song) I'm not gona tell you. *mutters about heroin for writers*  But it will come out, don't worry the story will be there.
Also... he said a couple places that Lash's story isn't over....
Finally, Harry's being dead unlocked all sorts of corners in his mind that were previously sealed shut. Why not a remaining fragment of Lash too?

Offline JEdward

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 29, 2011, 12:02:22 AM »
So, which of the Fallen whispered in Harry's ear in the flashback from Changes? The Fallen looked like a shadow, so maybe Nicodemus?

Also, it was interesting that Mab lied to Harry. Harry always thought that the Fae were incapable of lying, but Uriel confirmed Mab's lie in the first of his seven words.

That's true!  It's been stated over and over in the books that the Sidhe don't lie, but then Uriel states it plain as day here... curiouser and curiouser...

Offline laura_be

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 29, 2011, 12:04:23 AM »

Oh, well, probably I'm the one living in denial then  :D

I think Molly is great, now. I mean, for the first time she actually felt like a real person to me, thanks to this book. I finally felt empathy toward her.
The whole teacher/apprentice thing does rub me the wrong way, but not as much as the fact that he knew her since she was a little girl. And I get it, now she is a woman, or at least, she's getting there and I love that. She's kick ass, she touch, she's sexy, etc.

But even if I try to forget all the supposely "issues", I still don't see how all the good parts automatically make her a match to Harry.

I don't feel a natural flow in the story that says to me: yeah, it's going in that direction. It feels forced to me.

But again, maybe I'm the one living in denial :D    I'm cool with it :)
Somebody please ask Jim in the next Q&A? (since I probably won't ever get to): Murphy's role in the story, has it been planned since the beginning or has it evolved naturally over the course of the series? Is her future planned now?

DV laura_be V1.0 YR4 BK+ JB TH++ WG MC---- SH(Murphy+++++) TT--