Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 1-15 **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 23494 times)

Offline Reventon

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 1-15 **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #30 on: October 10, 2011, 11:53:22 AM »
Hi guys. Been lurking a while, sorry if this bumps a mostly dead thread.

Just on the Hendricks thing, getting him to negotiate Marcone's interests doesn't really seem like his strong suit. Hendricks and Gard are to Marcone what Mouse was/is to Harry - a big freakin' attack dog to scare your enemies senseless and pop 'em in the mouth when they get out of line. The dude's a total meathead who's collectively said less words than Mac in the series. That right there sums up his alliance building and negotiating skillset. It would have been funny to see him sit down for tea (and sip with his pinky raised), but not so believable. Wherever Hendricks is, it's going to be at Marcone's heels.

The more intriguing question right now, with so much happening in HIS town, where the fudge is John?

The fact that Childs actually has the ability to speak for Marcone is freaking EPIC. Think about it, Marcone's reputation and his empire mean everything to him. Chicago isn't his playground, it's his legacy. The fact that he allows someone to cede his territory by proxy... That isn't insignificant. I think Jim has some big plans for Mr Childs. Minnows don't get to do that stuff.

Offline KurtinStGeorge

• Posty McPostington
  • Oh no, there goes Tokyo
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2011, 03:04:29 AM »
The more intriguing question right now, with so much happening in HIS town, where the fudge is John?

Well there is a theory that Mr. Hendricks picked up Thorned Namshiel's coin in SmF after Michael was shot while being lifted into the helicopter.  Furthermore, Marcone went to Rome in an attempt to get the Fallen exercised from his associate.

I'm not saying I agree with this idea, but it is a possible explanation for both what happened to the coin and Marcone's absence.  On another note, it was revealed in one of the short stories which focused on Marcone, that Mr Hendricks has a PhD; I'm not sure in what discipline, so we shouldn't judge Mr. Hendricks' intelligence by his appearance and lack of dialog.   
Those are my principles, and if you don't like them... well, I have others.

Groucho Marx

Offline Reventon

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2011, 11:52:20 AM »
Ah, thanks for that. Hadn't seen the PhD reference...is that in "Even Hand"? That and "AAAA Wizardry" are the only Dresden stories I haven't read. I'm still a fairly new fan to the series, ate up the case files and side jobs in one stretch without spending a day not reading at least a good chunk of chapters. It's both weird and fun how much stuff you pick up rereading when you're not fatigued.

Interesting theory for Marcone's absence. Adds up really nicely too, but for some reason it just doesn't feel right. Can't put my finger on why and time (and JB) may well prove that intuition to be wrong, but it just doesn't seem to jive. I have no reasonable discussion points beyond my gut feeling on that one.

Just as a note on Hendrick's skill set, it's a very good point that one shouldn't judge intellect by appearance, but similarly intellect alone does not make a people person. Case in point; Butters. Yeah, his relationship with Bob makes him a great lookout, but let's be honest, in a serious negotiation he'd be pretty much useless. He's quite possibly the smartest character in the series, but he lacks many other skills in regards to the application of that knowledge.

Same thing for Hendricks. He may be freakishly intelligent, but his demeanor towards conversation, negotiation and compromise seems to make him a dubious choice as an envoy/ambassador at best. Granted, Harry hasn't seen him in that many situations and he has good reason to be on his guard with the wizard. But then, when representing a Freehold Lord in supernatural affairs or a plain vanilla crime boss, how many instances could he really not be on his guard? If the way he reacts to Harry is typical of the way he reacts to anyone who might threaten or challenge Marcone, negotiating just ain't his thing.

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 23, 2012, 06:27:33 PM »
Hi all,

In Chapter 10, there's a phrase "But the Red Court was dead, the same way the Black Court was dead".  A couple of paragraphs after Mister runs into Harry.
Would the "Black Court was dead" mean that it no longer exists?  I have to think it means something else as there wasn't a major action against the Black Court...

Thanks

Scott
The Black Court has always been dead :)
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]

Offline mldfvrs2

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 02:05:05 AM »
Completely new here but I just started reading gh and I'm still grieving over Harry dying.... Can someone please tell me why Jim killed Harry? By no means was it getting old and I know that he still ends up serving Mab. These books are awesome! Much appreciated!

Offline Arjan

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 05:43:04 PM »
Completely new here but I just started reading gh and I'm still grieving over Harry dying.... Can someone please tell me why Jim killed Harry? By no means was it getting old and I know that he still ends up serving Mab. These books are awesome! Much appreciated!
Jim killed Harry because he wanted to write ghost story.

I think that was a good reason. ;D
WG+++: The White God is Mister.
SH[Elaine+++]