Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 36-45 **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 16001 times)

Offline SkinsFanVJ

• Participant
  • 6/8/07 - Popped my Dresden Cherry!!
    • View Profile
Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 36-45 **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« on: July 22, 2011, 03:01:07 PM »
Welcome to the Ghost Story Book Club!!  This is intended to allow us to theorize and discuss as we read through Ghost Story.   Discuss whats happened and how amazing it is.  Discuss what you think is happening in the current set of chapters.  Or even theorize about what may be about to happen.   

The rules are simple...
You can discuss anything you want about Ghost Story, so long as it does not exceed the chapter limit set for this particular thread. 

Chapter Limit -- Do NOT discuss anything after chapter: 45

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 36-45 **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2011, 03:37:04 PM »
Sorry, guys, hadn't realized this was still locked.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline SkinsFanVJ

• Participant
  • 6/8/07 - Popped my Dresden Cherry!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2011, 03:43:14 PM »
Thank you Mickey!!

Man, when I hit chapter 45 --- I COULD NOT STOP - LOL

The action was getting pretty intense.

I gotta say -- I am realllly loving seeing more of Lea!  She is a very fascinating and thoroughly frustrating character.  You just never know if she has good intentions or not. 

And I am really loving the back stories that have been given to us about Harry and Justin and HWWB.  I am quite curious how Harry ended actually in Lea's care though, we kinda got left right at the end of his encounter with HWWB.

I wonder if we are gonna have a big apocalyptic Bob vs Evil Bob showdown...now that would be awesome!!

Offline test

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 05:52:06 PM »
i really like the HWWB stuff, looks like justin was working for HWWB. which raises some questions about elaine should be interesting.

Offline BadHumours

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 09:23:04 PM »
Did it bother anyone else that Harry asked Lea so many questions? She only promised him 3, but he asks like a million in between the ones he designates as the 'official' questions. Answering them all without at least quibbling about it seems very un-fairy-like. I suppose she has her own semi-scrutable-at-best reasons, but shouldn't it bother Harry?

Mostly, I'm bothered that Harry is so willing to ask questions willy-nilly, freeing Lea from any obligation to answer the questions he really wants answered. He should know better by now!

Offline rbette1299

• Lurker
  • He is mine to shape as I please.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 09:36:18 PM »
All of those extra questions bothered me too. Lea doesn't give information for free. She let him ask those extra questions because she wanted to tell him something important with her answers. So her answers mean something. It would have been her typical style to shut him down and tell him he was exceeding the agreement. So what is in it for her? We know from the sword story that she plays the long game. What is her long game? We still do not know what she promised his mother. I think it wasn't just to watch his back. There will be something in it for her.

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 08:00:47 AM »
I felt some way about the multiple questions. Lea could have been like a trickster genie who gets you to make wishes u never intended to and just shut down Harry after his third actual question. However, all the inbetween questions Harry asked were really subquestions to his original one. I don't know if Lea was obligated to answer the original question as fully as possible and thus allowed Harry to fish for a more full answer through questions. The whole Fae obligation is tricky and very hard to map out sometimes, but i think that is the point.
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

taishojojo

« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2011, 02:01:49 PM »
Even from that conversation you should know that parity is an issue. Yes, Sidhe work literally, but, if she felt Harry were giving valuable information and her answering, "Yes, I'll answer another question." counts as a question then she'd owe Harry more. Also, she was thumbing her nose at greater powers, during that conversation, so she may have felt parity was maintained.

Offline BadHumours

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2011, 04:17:37 PM »
She answers more than three questions because she has her reasons; no argument there.

But doesn't Harry wonder what they are? Why isn't he more careful? He's become much more comfortable with Lea over the past few books (which will probably come back to haunt him later), but he shouldn't be this complacent, even if being a ghost does make him maudlin.

I just found this scene disappointing.

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »
I see your point, especially with Harry getting more comfortable with Lea. But i also think the way Fae obligations work are sometimes literal but sometimes complicated. Harry being someone who has dealt with the Fea a lot may have sense of when an obligation can be stretched through technicality. Eh, i really dont know.
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac

Offline Glorificus

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 28, 2011, 07:48:18 PM »
She answers more than three questions because she has her reasons; no argument there.

That bothered me, but I rationalize she answered them because they pertained to the main question Harry asked.

But doesn't Harry wonder what they are? Why isn't he more careful?

I wondered that also.
What if pigs flew around on the backs of sparkly vampires?

The best thing about my faerie godmother is that the creepy just keeps on coming. p. 273

taishojojo

« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 09:35:29 PM »
I commented in another thread about literalistic deals versus intentions.
The pertinent comment was "The universe knows" thats why in Grave Peril (?) Harry claimed/felt Lea's "well look around you its everywhere" was insufficient assitance for her part of their bargain but the universe or laws of magic begged to differ by her healing is concussion, later in the hospital.
Maybe as Winter Knight he now has a sense of these things.

Even Lea in their conversation in his grave states that she was being generous in her answers.

Offline FWHJames

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 03:31:48 AM »
Isn't there some fairy tales about a being that if you give them stories it gives them power?

Offline dragonmastachief

• Lurker
  • dont bleed in front of me.
    • View Profile
Id rather be an open book instead of a weekly newspaper.

Offline dragonmastachief

• Lurker
  • dont bleed in front of me.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2011, 03:19:24 AM »
I wanted to cry when molly used her third eye for the first time in Murphy s house so to verify if Harry's ghost was really Harry but i couldn't because my wife was right next to me reading her book, so i closed the book and walked away to get a breather whew!! man that was close.
Id rather be an open book instead of a weekly newspaper.