Author Topic: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 1-15 **MAJOR SPOILERS**  (Read 23493 times)

Offline SkinsFanVJ

• Participant
  • 6/8/07 - Popped my Dresden Cherry!!
    • View Profile
Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 1-15 **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« on: July 22, 2011, 02:59:10 PM »
Welcome to the Ghost Story Book Club!!  This is intended to allow us to theorize and discuss as we read through Ghost Story.   Discuss whats happened and how amazing it is.  Discuss what you think is happening in the current set of chapters.  Or even theorize about what may be about to happen.   

The rules are simple...
You can discuss anything you want about Ghost Story, so long as it does not exceed the chapter limit set for this particular thread. 

Chapter Limit -- Do NOT discuss anything after chapter: 15

Offline Bones

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Ghost Story Book Club - Chapters 1-15 **MAJOR SPOILERS**
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 08:33:55 PM »
Right now I'm wondering what Thomas is up to.  ???

And I'm worried about the spec that someone will die so Harry can live. I feel like Daniel has the mark of death.  :P

Because I'm reading it on Kindle I'm not sure of the chapter at the moment, but I'm going to check to make sure I don't pull any big screw-ups on the book club. ;)

I know I wasn't going to read this today because I'm leaving for MegaTrip tomorrow but I couldn't help myself. It's a sickness.  :D

Offline SkinsFanVJ

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 11:35:23 PM »
Just breezed through chapter 15....  I could barely put the book down long enough to post here

I don't even know where to begin, sooooo much stuff just happened!!

A few thoughts...

YAY MISTER!!  I know that was a big discussion after Changes

Sir Stuart is/was an awesome character, I was really looking forward to seeing some more insight from him.  But I do understand what happened, he would have made it too easy for Harry and Jim would never let that happen!

Fitz sounds like he's got a pivotal role in this story, and sounds like a character we are being setup to root for - almost a newer billy.  But I think in the end something is gonna happen that makes it turn out vastly different than billy and the alphas

WTF is this Eternal Silence -- I hope we get more answers!!

MOLLY!!!  I MEAN SERIOUSLY MOLLLLLLYYYYYY!!!!  I really hope she doesn't go completely darkside on us, but wouldn't that be something!!

Offline Bones

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2011, 12:09:07 AM »
I loved the check in with all the characters we've been wondering about. Which, I guess, is why I felt Thomas was conspicuous in his absence. Also with the other White Court vampire there I had to wonder again why Thomas isn't involved.

Daniel Carpenter is a strange wild card to me. What's he doing there? I mean, does he have weapons training? He doesn't have magic. He's still so vague. I think that's why I feel like he has the death mark. I hope I'm wrong. :(

Fitz is a very interesting character. I can't wait to see what happens with him.  Unless it's bad ...

RE: Molly -- JB did say she'd have it rough in this book.  :o

I also love that Mouse is with Maggie. That's comforting.

Murphy: um ... buzz cut?  :-\

Offline SkinsFanVJ

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2011, 02:41:31 AM »
Yeah, Daniel is a bit of an odd one.  I think he may do something foolish to put people in jeopardy.  Now that is an amazing bit of writing to make you feel like you know a character so well after just one scene with them!!  I may be totally wrong in the end, but it surely feels like he's got like you said - that death mark.

I agree about Thomas, its curious that Felecia would be there instead of him representing the white council.  However, it isn't that curious considering his close ties to the justice league...

Offline ansatsusha80

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2011, 02:55:56 AM »
Im just got through reading chapter 9...Murphy is my type of woman....WOW    :o :o :o :o

Offline xakko

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 04:30:09 AM »
OK, am I the only X-men fan who's totally geeking out so far?  Colossus, Shadowcat and Nightcrawler are my three favorites... (my dream is to get Jim to write the X-men someday, even if it was just a novel like <i>Darkest Hours</i>

I can totally see Peter Rasputin in his writing of Sanya and Michael...

Offline cygnus21

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 06:12:13 AM »
wow... just wow.

Molly... poor Molly, though she seemed to perk up when talking to Harry, she must have been through a lot in the past 6 months.

Murph, still kickin ass.

Thomas, where is he? Why isnt he out trying to find Harry's killer. Something isn't right there.

Cool to see Abby and Toto again, and WTG paranet, warding Murph's house for her.

Daniel is weird to see here. My only thought about his apperance is that he is there in place of his Father and Sister. I agree that something bad is going to happen to him.

Can't wait to read more. Cant put it down.

Awesome work by JB as always.

Offline Tarion

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 12:54:02 PM »
Daniel Carpenter is a strange wild card to me. What's he doing there? I mean, does he have weapons training? He doesn't have magic. He's still so vague. I think that's why I feel like he has the death mark. I hope I'm wrong. :(
Daniel's parents are both master swordspeople.  I'm sure he's picked up at least the basics (I.e., he's already better than Harry ever was  :P ).  However, I suspect he's got a lot in common with the priest from the short-stories (The Warrior?  Can't remember the name) regarding the role of the Swords.  He probably feels that he's entitled to it, as Michael's heir.  

EDIT: He's also hopelessly naive, which I like about him.  I suspect that he'd come down with Harry on a lot of issues.  I don't see Harry being willing to terrify their own people so they stick to groups, for example.  
« Last Edit: July 27, 2011, 12:58:41 PM by Tarion »

Offline kimluvs2read

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2011, 05:09:34 PM »
Love Sir Stuart!

Poor Molly! I don't think she is too far gone though. I just think she is so hurt from loosing Harry that she is scared to trust anyone again. But she is still fixable.

Love Mister! He proves it all, Harry wuz there!

I think Karrin is taking it a lot harder than she is letting on.

Boy I LOVE these books!
very respectfully,
Kim :)

Offline Skip6235

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2011, 11:43:02 PM »
*blows dust of the old keyboard*

Wow. . .been a while since I posted here. Brings back memories. . .or something. . .

A NEW DF NOVEL!!!!!!! SO EXCITED! I wish I didn't have to work all the time so I could read this un-interrupted.

So, I noticed most of the things you guys(and gals, maybe. Need to be PC) have, namely the absence of Thomas and the entrance of Daniel. What I also noticed was the name-drop of Elaine in the same sentence as the wardens! Is she with the White Council now?

The book started a little slow, I think, but I'm really liking it as I get into it. It looks like the series is really taking a turn towards becoming further and further from reality, which I suspected it would for a while now. Jim has set up a great magical world that could belivably exist within the confines of the real world, but I knew it wouldn't last forever  ;D

Can't wait till I get the opportunity to read more tomorrow!
DV Skip6235 v1.2 YR3.5 FR2.5 BK+++ RP-(++) JB- TH(++) WG+ CL SW BC(++) MC++(-)(--)(---)(!) SH[Elaine++ Lash++ Molly++ Murphy--Stacy+++]

Offline WizardNick

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2011, 02:17:35 AM »
okay
1) x-men references FTW!
2) Where is Thomas?
3) beating the crap out of Felicia AWESOME!
4) Sir Stuart was really cool
5) every time harry met someone from the gang i really wanted to cheer
 so far really damn good

Offline WizardNick

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2011, 02:21:39 AM »
also MAGGIE'S WITH MOUSE! and apparently they're close by ( she must be with the Carpenters)

Offline haniel2

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2011, 02:33:38 AM »
Felicia. A new wild card like Daniel Carpenter. Guess there had to be a White Court connection somewhere, and it had to be someone we didn't know. Otherwise, why the big set up about the Swords and Daniel's loose lips and Murphy's bad-a$$ take down of a vamp? Oh -- and I don't believe Felicia will keep quiet, regardless of Murphy's threats. The Swords would be too sweet a temptation.

Offline JinElusion

• O. M. G.
  • The Sword of the Evening
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2011, 08:10:20 AM »
OK, am I the only X-men fan who's totally geeking out so far?  Colossus, Shadowcat and Nightcrawler are my three favorites... (my dream is to get Jim to write the X-men someday, even if it was just a novel like <i>Darkest Hours</i>

I can totally see Peter Rasputin in his writing of Sanya and Michael...

I was geeking out HARD
"Even if I go to hell, I will live until the end of the world, and if the world does not end; I will destroy it myself." - Grahf, Xenogears

"There's gonna be some stuff you're gonna see that's gonna make it hard to smile in the future." - 2pac