Author Topic: replacing supernatural powers  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
replacing supernatural powers
« on: July 18, 2011, 07:07:17 PM »
Hi,
I've just read that certain supernatural powers will be "replaced" by a higher form of that power (Speed for example). Does that mean that you pay the difference between the power you get and the power you already have? (Maybe it's already stated in the rules, but I didn' find it... ::))

Offline HumAnnoyd

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Dresden Files Accelerated: The Emerald City: Requiem
Re: replacing supernatural powers
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2011, 07:12:38 PM »
As I understand it if already had Inhuman Speed and wanted to raise that to Supernatural Speed then you would spend 2 Refresh to do so.
It's not the Heat, It's the Humanity.

The Emerald City Dresden Files Accelerated Campaign:   http://fate-accelerated-the-emerald-city.obsidianportal.com/

Offline wyvern

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2011, 07:13:57 PM »
Short answer: Yes.

Long answer:
Say you start the game with Inhuman Speed (cost: 2 refresh).  Later, you decide to buy that up to Supernatural Speed (cost: 4 refresh).  In order to do so, you must pay an additional two permanent refresh - losing the power inhuman speed, but gaining the supernatural one.

You can also do things like make a shapeshifter who always has Inhuman Speed, but can get up to Supernatural Speed when shapeshifted - I'd record this as:
-2 Inhuman Speed
+1 Human Form:
  -2 Supernatural Speed (replaces inhuman speed when shapeshifted)

Offline Rubycon

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2011, 07:16:50 PM »
Whoo, you guys in this forum are F A S T ! ! !

thanks for your replies!!! ;D

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »
An easy way of looking at it is that refresh is not gone once it's spent. If you lose a power you get the refresh back. Since you can't have both the inhuman and the supernatural version of a power, you're losing inhuman (gaining the refresh back) and then buying supernatural.