Author Topic: Zoophagus Mimicry; New Power for Review  (Read 4145 times)

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
  • AKA: Renmonster The Horgymeister
    • View Profile
    • The Forbidden Dojo 3-D Art
Zoophagus Mimicry; New Power for Review
« on: July 17, 2011, 01:52:54 PM »
So I'm working on a character for an upcoming mini-game set in WWII. The character I'm currently looking at is essentially a Doppleganger, able to steal the form, abilities, powers, skills etc...of anyone he consumes. A lot of this can be done with the existing rules but there were certain things that could not be done and after discussing things with the GM and some others we started talking about variations on powers and such and I finally sat down to write up the ideas into a cohesive and balanced (I hope) Power and below is what I have come up with.

[-Varies] Zoophagus Mimicry (Doppleganger)
Description: You are able to mimic the abilities of another person, at least to an extent.
Musts: Like the Mimic Ability and Modular Ability Powers you must set aside a number of points of your refresh equal to the maximum total refresh value of any mortal stunts, skills or supernatural abilities that you wish to copy from a target. You must also take at least the Inhuman Recovery power, if not greater, with a [+4] Catch of Cold Iron.
Skills Affected: Many
Effects:
Feeding Dependency – As the Power, requires regular consumption of fresh meat and blood.
Human Guise – As the Power.
Mimic Form – You are able to perfectly mimic the appearance of a target, but in order to do so you must consume the Skin and eyes of targets face. Otherwise this works the same as the Mimic Form Power (+4 to disguise checks).
Shapeshifting – You may gain the ability to take the form of any beast if you consume the beast’s Heart. This otherwise works exactly like the Beast Change power, however you must take a moderate physical consequence as a result of the change. All others powers are still retained from Mimic Power, except for any Beast Powers which are now replaced by the Beast Powers of the new form. Like the Mimic Power ability below, you can swap back to a previous beast-form by taking a moderate physical consequence, but you can only do so if you do not currently have a moderate physical consequence.
Mimic Power – You may gain the supernatural powers or mortal stunts of a target by eating the target’s Heart or Brain. This will naturally kill the target dead and is generally considered bad form. Like Mimic Ability you may keep a current Power Configuration as long as you like, but if you consume another Heart to gain a new set of powers the existing set will be replaced by the new set.
In addition you may take an Extreme Consequence (Your choice of Physical, Mental, or Social) to permanently learn that power configuration, but the aspect change you gain becomes permanently attached to that power configuration. You may change to any previous power configuration, by taking the same extreme consequence that you took for that set of powers the last time you gained them. When swapping tin this way the extreme consequence aspect attached to the new configuration will replace the aspect gained from the old configuration. So keep track of whom you’ve eaten and the powers and skills they had.
[Note: The Extreme Aspect for this use of the Power will never go away, as such characters with this Power may take as second Extreme Consequence of the same type for mitigating damage etc…however it also counts as an additional taggable aspect for those who know it exists]
Skill Shuffle – Anytime you consume a Targets Heart or Brain to gain their Stunts or powers you may also opt to shuffle your Skills around to match the target’s skills. The new set of skills becomes part of the current power configuration and will change when the power configuration changes.
True Form – A character with this power may revert to their True Form at any time, losing all existing power configurations (Though they can still revert to previously learned configurations at the usual cost later on), without taking any consequences.  

I'm posting this up here for commentary and review to see how potentially broken this could be. I think I built in enough Consequences (Literally) for using the power (Societal consequences aside) that I think it's self-balancing and possibly over-correcting, but that's why I'm posting it here.
Yes this is a gruesome ability and most GM's may not want to allow it on that basis alone, but given the additional societal consequences and stigmata involved...and it makes for a nice power for an NPC as well.

As a note; the name I chose comes from the psychological condition "Zoophagus Mania" which is the condition Renfield Suffered from in the original Dracula Novels. It was a condition in which the victim believes they can gain power from eating animals and occasionally people, so highly apropos.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 01:54:38 PM by Ren »
"Brain Makes My Math Hurt" - me

"Eeyore is my Totem Animal" - me

"Pants are overrated!" - me

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: Zoophagus Mimicry; New Power for Review
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2011, 02:35:14 PM »
Mimic Power – You may gain the supernatural powers or mortal stunts of a target by eating the target’s Heart or Brain. This will naturally kill the target dead and is generally considered bad form.
This made me laugh.  :)  You can eat their face and eyes but it's "bad form" to eat heart or brain?  There must be a significant number of blind de-faced victims running around...

Regarding the power level - it appears the entity may have up to seven permanently learned forms and uses a moderate consequence up to switch to a temporary form, that what you intended?  They'll be able to switch every other scene.  One thing I don't see is a cost, have you set that?

I do wonder if the use of consequences might be overdone.  It's basically "eat a face and get a fate point with your moderate consequence".  A scene later you have the fate point and no consequence. 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2011, 05:05:45 PM »
Actually there is no limit on the number of forms attained by taking the Extreme Consequence as only 1 Aspect is ever actually changed, it just swaps that one aspect based on the power configuration.

And Extreme Consequences take at least three sessions to typically clear so not just one scene. I should probably add in that one cannot learn a new permanent configuration until the standard three sessions have passed and put a cap of some kind on the number of power configurations and beast forms that can be kept at a given time. Maybe base it off the level of a controlling skill such as Discipline? That may make more sense.

So with a Superb Skill in Discipline you can could keep any combination of up to 5 different power configurations and beast forms.
Example; 3 power configurations and 2 beast forms.
Learned Configurations can be replaced by entirely new Learned power configurations or beast but will be permanently forgotten. A new Configuration can only replace a configuration of the same type; power for power, beast for beast etc...
Example; A Character with Superb Discipline has a Configuration for a Wizard, a Gun-slinger Mortal,  a Fae Knight a Wolf and an Eagle wants but wants to learn a new Beast Form so will have to give up wolf or eagle, but cannot give up Wizard, Mortal or Fae.

As for the Consequence being over used I wanted to have a very heavy toll for learning and maintaining the knowledge so I don't think taking an extreme every time is overkill, and it limits the munchkinry.

I suppose I could remove the beast-form option entirely from the equation and simply the power or set it aside as an additional power or upgrade to the power. Still a work in progress.

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2011, 06:09:01 PM »
Actually there is no limit on the number of forms attained by taking the Extreme Consequence as only 1 Aspect is ever actually changed, it just swaps that one aspect based on the power configuration.

And Extreme Consequences take at least three sessions to typically clear so not just one scene. I should probably add in that one cannot learn a new permanent configuration until the standard three sessions have passed and put a cap of some kind on the number of power configurations and beast forms that can be kept at a given time. Maybe base it off the level of a controlling skill such as Discipline? That may make more sense.
I don't think extreme consequences can be removed, swapped out, or superseded by another that easily.  And it wasn't the extreme consequence I was referring to as gone in a couple scenes...that was the moderate.  Since you have Inhuman Recovery as a must, they'll be able to use Mimic Form every other scene.

As for the Consequence being over used I wanted to have a very heavy toll for learning and maintaining the knowledge so I don't think taking an extreme every time is overkill, and it limits the munchkinry.

I suppose I could remove the beast-form option entirely from the equation and simply the power or set it aside as an additional power or upgrade to the power. Still a work in progress.
As a fate point generator, consequences don't limit "munkinry" at all.  It's literally "eat someone's face, rest a scene, be one fate point richer".  Certainly may be in-game consequences for the horrendous crimes committed, but I wouldn't want the mechanics to encourage that type of play to start with.

Have you considered changing out your use of consequences as part of the power for a "hunger track" or similar stress track? 
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2011, 06:30:35 PM »
Alright Here's an updated version that I think works much better;

[-Varies] Zoophagus Mimicry
Description: You are able to mimic the abilities of another person, at least to an extent.
Musts: Like the Mimic Ability and Modular Ability Powers you must set aside a number of points of your refresh equal to the maximum total refresh value of any mortal stunts, skills or supernatural abilities that you wish to copy from a target.
Skills Affected: Discipline and Many  Others
Effects:
Feeding Dependency – As the Power, requires regular consumption of fresh meat and blood.
Human Guise – As the Power.
Mimic Form – You are able to perfectly mimic the appearance of a target, but in order to do so you must consume the Skin and eyes of targets face. Otherwise this works the same as the Mimic Form Power (+4 to disguise checks).
Shapeshifting – You may gain the ability to take the form of any beast if you consume the beast’s Heart. This otherwise works exactly like the Beast Change power, however you must take a moderate physical consequence as a result of the change. All others powers are still retained from Mimic Power, except for any Beast Powers which are now replaced by the Beast Powers of the new form. Like the Mimic Power ability below, you can swap back to a previous beast-form by taking a moderate physical consequence, but you can only do so if you do not currently have a moderate physical consequence.
Mimic Power – You may gain the supernatural powers or mortal stunts of a target by eating the target’s Heart or Brain. This will naturally kill the target dead and is generally considered bad form. Like Mimic Ability you may keep a current Power Configuration as long as you like, but if you consume another Heart to gain a new set of powers the existing set will be replaced by the new set.
In addition you may take an Extreme Consequence (Your choice of Physical, Mental, or Social) to permanently learn that power configuration, but the aspect change you gain becomes permanently attached to that power configuration. You may change to any previous power configuration, by taking the same extreme consequence that you took for that set of powers the last time you gained them. When swapping tin this way the extreme consequence aspect attached to the new configuration will replace the aspect gained from the old configuration. So keep track of whom you’ve eaten and the powers and skills they had. You may only have a total number of learned Power Configurations and Beast Forms equal to the rank of your Discipline Skill. Example; with a Discipline of Great (+4) You could have 2 power configurations and 2 beast forms or 3 powers configurations and 1 beast form etc…
> Note: The Extreme Aspect gained for this use of the Power will never go away, as such characters with this Power may take as second Extreme Consequence of the same type for mitigating damage etc…however it also counts as an additional taggable aspect for those who know it exists. As long as a power configuration gained from the use of this power is maintained the character will have the Aspect “Flesh-Eater” that can be tagged freely once per round by anyone who knows of the Aspects existence. Consequences gained by the use of this power cannot be reduced or healed by any form of Recovery Power.]
Skill Shuffle – Anytime you consume a Targets Heart or Brain to gain their Stunts or powers you may also opt to shuffle your Skills around to match the target’s skills. The new set of skills becomes part of the current power configuration and will change when the power configuration changes.
True Form – A character with this power may revert to their True Form at any time, losing all existing power configurations (Though they can still revert to previously learned configurations at the usual cost later on), without taking any consequences. 

Note: There is a lot of tracking that will have to take place for this power and it has some potential to be very broken.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 08:14:14 PM »
Why not just use Feeding Dependency, Human Guise, and the Mimic powers for this?

Offline Ren

• Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2011, 12:25:10 PM »
The primary reason for doing it this way is that I wanted to come up with a real cost associated with the Power to add to the role-play feel. With the regular version of Mimic you can just grab some hair or a chunk of flesh from a target but leave them alive, though diminished and eventually the power could be reclaimed with no long-term affects. This way their is pain involved and the long-term affect of having part of your personality changed, so their is a double-impact. It also made sense to me to gather various related abilities under one umbrella, though I could just put it a s an entirely separate power like Feeding Dependency and have everything else fall under it. I also wanted the ability for mimics to be able to permanently learn Power/Stunt/Skill Configurations by adding in a hefty price tag.
This power actually covers and modifies Human Guise, Beast Form, Mimic Power, Mimic Form and True Shapeshifting by adds some limitations and benefits, all with a hefty price tag.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2011, 03:52:38 PM »
I'm just curious about the rest of your character's group for this game. This power has some pretty gruesome requirements...

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2011, 11:48:36 PM »
Mimic Abilities already requires that you eat a "significant part of the victim". You can't just keep a little fragment in a box. Combine that with a Mimic Form, Feeding Dependency, and a custom power that offers a +1 rebate in exchange for requiring that you take consequences and you're good.

Being able to permanently learn stuff is (mostly) just fluff. Unless you want to ignore the refresh/skill point cost, in which case I can only scream incoherently about how bad an idea I think that is.

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2011, 04:29:42 PM »
The standard for clearing an extreme consequence is a major milestone or 3 scenarios, not 3 sessions.

Unless I misunderstood you are paying one variable cost for all of the listed effects of the power. You get all of the benefits of mimic abilities, modular abilities, mimic form, and gaining the ability to shapeshift into a variety of animals.

That would mean you could spend 10 refresh to achieve. 22+ points worth standard powers.

10 for mimic abilities (10 mimic points)
 2  for mimic form
12 for modular abilities (2 base cost, 10 form points)
shapeshift into different animals ?

Trying to balance a 12+ refresh deficit by taking consequences that heal every other scene with the mandatory recovery doesn't work. Nor does saying you probably have to kill the target.

Another giant advantage your custom power has is the ability to switch back once you change powers. With all of the book powers once you change it you lose it. Your Balance for that is taking an "extreme consequence" that you can change back and forth at your leisure which really seems to go against the concept of that consequence. It doesn't even take up the extreme consequence slot. It would be more accurate to say you now have an aspect dedicated to the use of the power.

I do like that you are going for a harsher grittier version of those abilities. I just think that this version is giving you way too much bang for your buck.

My apologies if I misunderstood and you need to pay for each aspect of your power separately.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #10 on: July 19, 2011, 06:33:24 PM »
I have to agree with what a few people have said already.  Just take the powers you want and attach them to a Feeding Dependency.

While you're using your shapeshift/mimic abilities, you role vs your Hunger. When you fail, to satisfy your Hunger, you go out and eat something or someone and then you have the ability to shift into what you just ate.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 06:35:12 PM by Taran »

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 19, 2011, 09:59:38 PM »
I do like the idea of having a common "point pool" for modular and mimic abilities, but I don't think that's the way to do it.

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #12 on: July 20, 2011, 12:18:47 AM »
@polkaneverdies & Blackblade
My question is why do you need Mimic Abilities AND Modular Abilities?

By my count, you need:

Mimic Abilities - to steal Powers
True Shapeshifting - to reconfigure your skills
Mimic Form - to take on the look/sound of your victim

@Ren If you want True Shapeshifting and Mimic Form to require your character to "Eat" your victim( or only functions in conjunction with Mimic Abilities Power) why not just give it a discount.

I don't know if it's balanced or if it still has the feel you want - but I'm just throwing out ideas...:
True Shapeshifting (+1 discount) for a total of -3:
Mimic Form (+1 discount) for a total of -1

So I'd see the character like this:

0 Human Guise
+1 Feeding dependency
affecting:
-1 Mimic Form
-3 True Shapeshifting
-"X" Mimic Abilities

If you want to revert to a previous form, which Mimic Abilities doesn't let you do, maybe take another custom Power or increase the Base Cost of Mimic Abilities and call it Greater Mimic Abilities.

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 20, 2011, 03:54:01 AM »
Mimic and Modular abilities have different restrictions on the abilities that can be used.  Modular allows for one to manifest any physical stunt or power without needing to find someone else who has the same ability.  Mimic requires that you steal the power from another, but allows for non-physical stunts and powers to be copied, as well as skills.  They both have different uses in different situations.  Maybe if you increased the surcharge from two to three refresh, you would be able to the same pool of points for both abilities?

Also, would you really need Mimic Form if you had True Shifting? 

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #14 on: July 20, 2011, 12:10:44 PM »
Mimic and Modular abilities have different restrictions on the abilities that can be used.  Modular allows for one to manifest any physical stunt or power without needing to find someone else who has the same ability.  Mimic requires that you steal the power from another, but allows for non-physical stunts and powers to be copied, as well as skills.  They both have different uses in different situations.  Maybe if you increased the surcharge from two to three refresh, you would be able to the same pool of points for both abilities?

Also, would you really need Mimic Form if you had True Shifting? 

I agree the two powers have different uses in different situations but I don't think he's looking for Modular abilities, though.  You could Cheat and take Modular Abilities and just wing it.  Eat a Bear then take all the powers a bear might have, but I don't think that's what he's looking to do.

Mimic Abilities doesn't let you shift or steal skills...that's what you need True Shifting for.

I'd say you would need Mimic Form.  True Shifting let's you turn into A Bear or A Human while Mimic Form let's you look like THAT BEAR and THAT Human.