Author Topic: High complexity wards  (Read 1903 times)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
High complexity wards
« on: July 11, 2011, 08:02:27 PM »
I had this thought while looking over another thread (http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,27121.0.html), but I figured I'd avoid hijacking it.

Question: How many of you have actually used complex wards as a player? And I mean actually used them, not cast them on your base of operations and then never dealt with them ever again.

I just can't think of a situation in my play experience where I used anything greater than a quick ward (I.E. something in the 10-20 range) to protect something briefly (I.E. hours or days).

I only ask because I wonder if it would be appropriate as a GM to hand wave that kind of thing. "Sure, your ward on your house summons guards when it falls, shall we move on to the story?" Or do you think that it's important to really work these things out in detail?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
Re: High complexity wards
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 08:56:23 PM »
I was asked last game "how are your wards?" and I was completely unprepared. I had to resort to the NPC default of Lore in complexity. Now that I'm coming under closer scrutiny by baddies, I may have to devote some in-game time to bolstering them.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 09:45:50 PM »
My characters, if they're spellcasters (they usually are), have set at least four spells (a Ward, a Veil, a Sight-Blinder and a Summon Landmine), each one at the power they can reach at their Base Complexity + 1 skill declaration per apex skill + mild consequences. Effectively, my serious protections can be done at 1 casting scene and 1 rest scene per spell. For a submerged spellcaster, that usually is; 5 base complexity +4 from a Discipline and Conviction skill declaration, +4 mild consequences = 13

This is the effective baseline a submerged spellcaster gets if he is not in a terrible hurry but doesn't want to spend more than one scene as time resource per spell. Do note however that serious protections usually follow a day-long casting time rather than scene-long. Given the slowness of thaumaturgy scenes, these would be 8 scenes (one scene per hour) for a day-long preparation.
This gives 5 base complexity, +16 from mild consequences (2 milds every other scene), +16 from skill declarations (2 per skill of Great or Superb, but no more than one per scene), +2 from fate points, +4 from moderate consequence, for a grand total of 43

That is the upper limit of what a skilled submerged wizard should be able to do because that represents the work of 8 hours. If you don't allow interruptions in preparation for sleeping, eating and the like, it also comes as a hard limit; they shouldn't be able to amass more power any faster without better skills and more power (i.e. consequences due to high conviction)

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 10:18:42 PM »
The question isn't really "how have you done it?" It's "has it ever been remotely relevant to the story?" Was there ever an instance Belial where those wards actually did anything? Or are they just things that you have and never use?

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 11:01:28 PM »
My character is a Shadowmancer, with Rituals (shadow) so we figured he didn't do Wards so much as Veils on his bachelor pad. So my ward (to answer your question - sorry) ended up tricking a BCV Summoner into aiming a devil at a neighboring apartment. And, because this was impromptu, I didn't have any shifts really devoted to it. That will definitely be an in-game objective next time we meet, though, as a Shadowmancer, I'm not sure what I can really do with my Wards *except* Veils.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 11:05:45 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 11:10:59 PM »
The wizard I'm running has big-time wards.  I offered him a compel: if he accepted, His wife was going to, unwittingly, invite a Monster into the house and bad stuff was going to occure.

If he turned down the compel, we agreed that the wards would hold up and his wife would be safe as long as they didn't delay and got to the house ASAP to go save her.

As far as mechanics go, the strength of the wards were irrelevant. 

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 01:26:07 AM »
The wizard I'm running has big-time wards.  I offered him a compel: if he accepted, His wife was going to, unwittingly, invite a Monster into the house and bad stuff was going to occure.

If he turned down the compel, we agreed that the wards would hold up and his wife would be safe as long as they didn't delay and got to the house ASAP to go save her.

As far as mechanics go, the strength of the wards were irrelevant.  

Good example, and if you had been so inclined you could have run some of the wards against the baddy to "soften" him up for the coming conflict. Ultimately OP it comes down to if your GM is going to ever put those wards into action.

My player's wizard routinely double-checks his wards on the assumption that some day I'm going to make them important for saving his bacon...and he'd be right.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2011, 01:41:31 AM by Set Abominae »
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 07:30:15 AM »
The character for which her wards and other protections actually matter is a powerful warlock. The wards in her place protect/hide from impromtu visits from the White Council. They haven't been used in-game yet but as a background protection and hiding explain why more wardens don't show up. She's been decapitated before and she'd rather not repeat the experience.

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 11:24:45 AM »
The character for which her wards and other protections actually matter is a powerful warlock. The wards in her place protect/hide from impromtu visits from the White Council. They haven't been used in-game yet but as a background protection and hiding explain why more wardens don't show up. She's been decapitated before and she'd rather not repeat the experience.

That character doesn't seem to do things the easy way... Decapitated once already? How did she get over that one? :0o

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 11:54:02 AM »
Decapitated once already? How did she get over that one? :0o
Oh come on, "It was only a flesh wound!"

:)
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline Masurao

• Conversationalist
  • Liberate tetemet ex inferis!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 12:19:09 PM »
Oh come on, "It was only a flesh wound!"

:)

"She turned you into a newt?"
"I got better..."