Author Topic: BCV Templates - Generic NPCs  (Read 5456 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: BCV Templates - Generic NPCs
« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2011, 03:07:36 AM »
Is this still going on?

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2011, 04:09:39 PM »
Just as an over all note and theme, while this does seem more than terrifying enough to justify everyone's inherent fear of the BC, both mortal and other VC's alike, it does seem like...well...a lot. Because, as you've noted, it IS like Dracula, but "Dracula" or "Baby Vlad" was the pale imitation of his father, "The Creature." Any other BCV lords would be lesser than "Baby Vlad," so while he's a good guide, he also represents the upper limits of their power. So, take what we know about Dracula, and go down a step from there. Now, is that a certainty? No. Jim's only touched on the subject, but it's a reasonable place to start from both a story and balance persepective.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2011, 08:21:28 PM »
Wait, Dracula is the strongest BCV?

Where do you get that from?

Anyway, I think that Drakul is probably beyond stats (given our current rules tech). And I don't make that designation lightly.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2011, 09:28:06 PM »
Well it's not a lock but it makes perfect sense since his father is "The Creature," and presumably the source of all vampire ill, he's ALMOST as strong, and therefore, probably stronger than all the other BCV's. Especially since he JOINED them, which means he was something else before? But regardless, I know that that doesn't mean he HAS to be, but it stands to reason, and it's a good place to start since he's the BCV we know most about.

Offline finnmckool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2011, 09:30:00 PM »
Anyway, I think that Drakul is probably beyond stats (given our current rules tech). And I don't make that designation lightly.

And I don't think that's true, since Stoker's book is supposed to be A) accurate, and B) about Drakul, aka Baby Vlad, we have a pretty good idea exactly what he's capable of. Or was as of 18whatever.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2011, 09:35:34 PM »
The Black Court has existed since the dawn of mankind - it is considerably older than the Red Court (who has only existed for about 5 millennia) and veritably ancient compared to the White Court (who from their mother language, they appear to be merely ancient Etruscan). Being that the Black Court are both stronger individually and older as a Court than the Reds, consider what the really old elders would look like.  :o

As for Dracula, he's what? Half a millennium old? The only reason he'd even rate as an elder (assuming he does) would be his pre-existing powers.  And Drakul is probably a Dragon, in the biblical sense.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2011, 10:13:10 PM »
By Drakul, I meant the dad. Who is apparently Mab-level, according to something I heard somewhere.

I'd rather not assume Baby Vlad to be the strongest BCV, it strikes me as needlessly limiting.

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
  • Bier, ja? Und mit Dusen-Dusen? Ja!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 21, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »
I almost imagined Drakul the Elder being some kind of demonic dragon thing. As for Dracula, I have worked on statting him up for my own game (he'll make an appearance). In my head, he was probably a century or two old by the time the book was written using his name and he was probably more powerful than Kincaid (physically, probably not skill or stunts wise). Add on BCV powers and he can look downright terrifying being a mixture of half-demon and BCV.
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 21, 2011, 12:34:30 AM »
What Refresh and skill level were you planning to give him?

Any unusual stunts/powers?

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 21, 2011, 06:25:45 PM »
What Refresh and skill level were you planning to give him?

Any unusual stunts/powers?

Not sure if this was referring to me or not, but here is my short write up for Dracula including the reasoning behind his powers.

Prince Dracula, Rukh of the Black Court

Powers:
Claws [-1] (Teeth and claws)
Echoes of the Beast [-1]
Living Dead [-1]
Incite Emotion [-2]
(Lust, At Range)
Inhuman Recovery [-2]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]
Catch [+2]
(Bram Stoker style weaknesses minus sunlight)
Physical Immunity [-8]
Catch [+3]
(Sunlight)

Blood Drinker [-1]
Feeding Dependency [+1] (affects the following)
Beast Change [-1]
Cloak of Shadows [-1]
Spider Walk [-1]
Supernatural Strength [-4]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Domination (Master Dominator) [-4]
Gaseous Form [-3]

You'll notice the majority of the powers are from the Master Black Court Vampire (claws, echoes, living dead, blood drinker w/ feeding dependency, beast change, cloak, supernatural strength and toughness, inhuman speed.)

I decided to make Dracula a challenging fight for even a senior council member by splitting one of his toughness weaknesses and stacking it with Physical Immunity. The way I intend it, when it's night out, nothing is hurting him. When there is Sunlight involved (whether conjured or natural), certain things can hurt him. Because of his mixed parentage, he doesn't suffer from the same BCV weaknesses as other vampires his age, one of the contributing factors for his survival this long.

I also added in Spider Walking and Incite Emotion (Lust at range), extrapolated from Bram Stoker's novel. Since the BCVs we've seen so far haven't exhibited these abilities (nor have their stat write ups), I've decided that the novel was a guide for killing BCVs in general and also make others aware that the one named Dracula would break that mold.

I haven't given him any Mortal Stunts... and I may not. He's already at -30 refresh just with powers and his abilities give him quite a bit of versatility. I stayed away from adding magical abilities to his repertoire since I wanted to make him a much more physical threat than Mavra (who I am sure could still get quite physical), but with the Incite Emotion, he can take advantage of others. I was also thinking of giving him a version of Glamours that allow him to change his appearance.

Oh well, these were just my thoughts.

*update: moved the physical toughness and recovery abilities outside of Powers effected by feeding.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2011, 07:33:18 PM by bobjob »
The entire Red Court was taken down by the new Winter Knight? From the lowliest pawn all the way up to the King? *puts on sunglasses* Knight to G7. Check mate.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 21, 2011, 07:29:26 PM »
I would also postulate that since he had his healing ability prior to becoming a BCV (at least in my head), that he doesn't become all corpsified unless he doesn't feed. I think I need to move his powers around to reflect that.

Another interesting idea, since his bloodline is used as part of Dracula creating spawn, would some of his demonic abilities also transfer over to his spawn? This would make them more deadly than a standard BCV.

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 21, 2011, 08:35:11 PM »
While I have the file open, here's another BCV character I created for use later in my campaign. Y'all may notice this is just a re-skinned Donald Morgan from OW197 with a BCV template added. I just thought it would be wicked to have a BCV using a warden sword.

Kirill Volkov
High Concept: Black Court Warlord
Aspect: Former White Council Warden; Knew the Merlin when he was an Apprentice

Skills:
Superb (+5): Conviction, Weapons
Great (+4): Discipline, Intimidation, Lore
Good (+3): Alertness, Athletics, Endurance, Presence, Rapport
Fair (+2): Contacts, Deceit, Empathy, Fists

Powers:
Evocation [-3]
Thaumaturgy [-3]
The Sight [-1]
Soulgaze [-0]
Refinement [-6]
Claws [-1]
Echoes of the Beast [-1]
Living Dead [-1]
Supernatural Toughness [-4]
The Catch [+3] is Bram Stoker style weaknesses
Blood Drinker [-1]
Feeding Dependency [+1] affecting the following powers:
Beast Change [-1]
Cloak of Shadows [-1]
Supernatural Strength [-4]
Inhuman Speed [-2]
Domination [-2]
Gaseous Form [-3]

Specializations
Evocation: Elements (Earth, Fire, Spirit); Control (Earth +3, Fire +2, Spirit +1); Power (Earth +2, Fire +1, Spirit +1)
Thaumaturgy: Control (Divination +1, Wards +2); Strength (Crafting +1)

Enchanted Items
Warden Sword: Cuts through anything (it counts as a Weapon:3 sword at minimum in all circumstances); 3 times/session acts as either a Fantastic (+6) counterspell or a Weapon:6 item; uses two slots.

Stress:
P: oooo(oooo)
M: oooo; extra mild consequence
S: oooo

Playing:
Shale Buckby

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 21, 2011, 09:06:08 PM »
To clarify what has been said Drakul is the stone cold bad mofo Jim put on the list of things that could potentially take Mab out.

Dracula was his son who was a pale imitation of his Daddy's power. He joined the black court in a fit of teenage rebellion.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 22, 2011, 01:54:13 AM »
Yes, I was talking to you. Sorry for the confusion.

Dracula writeup looks pretty good. Two suggestions and a nitpick:

1. The first catch looks like it ought to be worth +4 to me.
2. The Recovery should be affected by Feeding Dependency if you want it to work that way.
3. Human Guise might be appropriate, judging by your comments.

Volkov is interesting and badass, but there are a few odd things about his writeup:

1. Soulgaze seems wrong on a soulless vampire.
2. He's got three focus slots free. What does he use them for?
3. Beast Change gives you a second skill set. Is his the same as his normal one?

Offline bobjob

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 22, 2011, 05:26:03 AM »
For Dracula

1. For the first catch, I took the write up for the Master BCV and removed +1 because it wasn't affecting sunlight and added the +1 later for the physical immunity.
2. I agree that it should go under Feeding Dependency. Now I'm thinking that his recovery powers were always dependent on his feeding, whether it was regular food in his half-demonic state or blood in his new undead state.
3. Yeah, I believe human guise is the way to go.
4. I think he needs some Supernatural Senses. Maybe the ability to hear heart beats and to see heat signatures (similar to Kincaid). These would be hold overs from his half-demonic form.

For Volkov

1. Agreed. All he really needs is The Sight.
2. Good question, I haven't really thought that out. I'm thinking an evocation focus in Earth for power and control and maybe a defensive enchanted item.
3. I don't imagine it would be, but I hadn't gotten that far. This is just the initial write up I had for him, but since he wasn't even in the bullpen yet he isn't complete. Like I said, I pretty much copied down Donald Morgan and added the BCV, changing the name, high concept, and some aspects for flavor.

Playing:
Shale Buckby