Author Topic: Who told Monica Sells? (Wild speculation and possible series spoilers)  (Read 15952 times)

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
  They had to sacrifice how many people, to get enough juice to kill three wizards, and maybe a few people on Susan's side of the tree? 

I think that may well have been a misjudgement on their part, considering how many it eventually turned out that it was enough power to kill.  An efficient spell being used by people who did not know what they were handling.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
  • Loneliness or solitude?
    • View Profile
I think that may well have been a misjudgement on their part, considering how many it eventually turned out that it was enough power to kill.  An efficient spell being used by people who did not know what they were handling.
My thought was that it was some of this ^ and some of the fact that the Reds were just having a good time sacrificing people and so went way overboard.
Everyone on this earth wants to feel like they matter.

Offline Alablast

• Seriously?
  • Wheeee!
    • View Profile

Either way, it points to a lack of experience with the spell, which again points to the possibility they got it from somewhere else.
"There are other ways!"
"Then you should have explored them before you tore our people apart!!"

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile

Why do we all assume the spell was the Red Court's, and that it was a prized possession they've used before?  The impression I got was that the Red Court was given that spell, just like Victor Sells was, and that they were HORRIBLY BAD AT IT.  They had to sacrifice how many people, to get enough juice to kill three wizards, and maybe a few people on Susan's side of the tree?  Say Susan's parents and grandparents were both alive, and she had two siblings- that's twelve people; we'll say fifteen to be safe.  Victor managed to kill two completely unrelated people at the same time without any sacrifices.  I'm not saying that there's no problem to go from killing two unrelated people with one spell to killing fifteen related people, but to be fair Victor Sells wasn't really a wizard, but a gifted person that had learned a few tricks.  The Red Court had multiple sorcerers working on the spell, had props to go along with and beef it up, and while they might have needed some sacrifices even still... I am not too impressed that the Red Court needed that much to pull it off (they were killing for hours while Dresden was on the way there).  Granted, Victor had a storm to beef his spell, but they had a ley line running right underneath.

I don't think it was there spell; I think somebody as yet still unrevealed was manipulating Victor and the Red Court.
Or ya know, they knew way more about the Blackstaff and how it interacts with it's user than we do*.  Or, Eb even without the Blackstaff.  I can very well see it taking a magical nuke to get at the WC wetworks man, not just a howitzer.

*Don't forget it's stolen, and the real owner wants it back.

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile

Why do we all assume the spell was the Red Court's, and that it was a prized possession they've used before?  The impression I got was that the Red Court was given that spell, just like Victor Sells was, and that they were HORRIBLY BAD AT IT.  They had to sacrifice how many people, to get enough juice to kill three wizards, and maybe a few people on Susan's side of the tree?  Say Susan's parents and grandparents were both alive, and she had two siblings- that's twelve people; we'll say fifteen to be safe.  Victor managed to kill two completely unrelated people at the same time without any sacrifices.  I'm not saying that there's no problem to go from killing two unrelated people with one spell to killing fifteen related people, but to be fair Victor Sells wasn't really a wizard, but a gifted person that had learned a few tricks.  The Red Court had multiple sorcerers working on the spell, had props to go along with and beef it up, and while they might have needed some sacrifices even still... I am not too impressed that the Red Court needed that much to pull it off (they were killing for hours while Dresden was on the way there).  Granted, Victor had a storm to beef his spell, but they had a ley line running right underneath.

I don't think it was there spell; I think somebody as yet still unrevealed was manipulating Victor and the Red Court.
Victor used a ceremony and a storm to power a spell that killed someone across town. RC was preparing a spell that would take out someone on the otherside of the world, possibly behind wards or even in the NN. so yes the spell needed more power. most likely an increase for whatever factors added on. we don't know the exact mathmatics involved but i would say it was geared to go through anything to kill its target. so i don't think we can say they were horribly bad at it.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
I am not inclined to see the second as implied in the first, because I can see Jim enjoying being able to write about Thomas being mindgamed in ways that can't be done from harry's POV.

and I didn't expect to change your mind about anything, my goal was merely to show other readers evidence for the unlikeliness of your interpretation.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2011, 01:26:27 AM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Or ya know, they knew way more about the Blackstaff and how it interacts with it's user than we do*.  Or, Eb even without the Blackstaff.  I can very well see it taking a magical nuke to get at the WC wetworks man, not just a howitzer.

*Don't forget it's stolen, and the real owner wants it back.
Are we sure it was stolen?  I remember Jim said it used to belong to someone else and they want it back, but that doesn't mean the White Council didn't win it in a poker game or something.  *insert tongue-in-cheek smiley here*  We don't know how the White Council acquired it.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Are we sure it was stolen?  I remember Jim said it used to belong to someone else and they want it back, but that doesn't mean the White Council didn't win it in a poker game or something.  *insert tongue-in-cheek smiley here*  We don't know how the White Council acquired it.

Booklover's notes of the WoJ on the subject say that it was stolen

Q:  Can you tell us a little more about the black staff?
A:   The staff keeps Eb from going crazy, mostly.  Also, the White Council stole it from someone.  And they really want it back.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Lash Dresden

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Booklover's notes of the WoJ on the subject say that it was stolen

OK, so no poker winnings.  When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong. :)

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
OK, so no poker winnings.  When I'm wrong, I say I'm wrong. :)

I had actually gone for the WoJ thinking you were right and intending to back you up, but also intending to point out that it was splitting hairs that may not need to be split.  Didn't work out that way though  :D

Oh, and thanks for reasserting my faith in the boards.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline El Diablo

• Posty McPostington
  • Mostly Harmless
    • View Profile
Count me an as one who is inclined.
//Sings
"If you've been messaged to ignore me clap your hands!"
:)

knnn said "All must now bow in presence of your Dresden-Fu."

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Thanks Serack.  I stand corrected.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I know Serack found the quote, but yes, I was sure anyway (I was there when he said it ;) ).

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
I know Serack found the quote, but yes, I was sure anyway (I was there when he said it ;) ).

Are you going to make it to any of this year's signings?  Will you be recording if you do?
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline laura118b

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
I'm trying to plan on Kansas City, it is at least just 20 minutes away instead of 1 hour like last time.  But I have to see about money, and babysitter and all that fun stuff.  I should know more in a week.  And if I can go, yeah, I have a little digital audio recorder and can tape it for you. :)