Author Topic: Who told Monica Sells? (Wild speculation and possible series spoilers)  (Read 15945 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
True, I suspect that it is based on Harry's knowledge of the Sidhe.  Harry assumes that since the Sidhe cannot kill a mortal unless he/she is involved with one of the courts, no creature from the nevernever can kill a mortal unless they enter into (or violate) the Accords.

Several people have pointed out lately that it's just the queens that have this restriction.  Before Curses I could have argued it both ways, but it's flat out stated in Curses that:

Quote from: Naked City page 15
(click to show/hide)

I get the idea that the Sidhe need to have some kind of connection to work magic on a mortal, but that doesn't mean they can't do other things to harm them... other than that if they are a member of the courts the Queens may not like it, and I would posit that if they are working at the behest of the queens they flat out can't.  

That's a side track though.  

I don't think that Victor Sells ever met Lara or Lord Raith.  Only because if he were their cat's paw, there was probably another blind between him and them.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2011, 03:40:36 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
yes that is true. Lara explains when Harry confronts her about Madeline. Lara says she was a fool for only removing herself by 1 factor/ blind removed from the lawyer.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline OlosBC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Your spoiler tag is where I disagree.  I think Victor was given an unused ritual to test whether it would work, and was otherwise totally disposable.

Except we know from the end of Changes that Martin, as a Red court half-vamp priest saw the ritual, or read about it, and used that as the basis for his scheme to double-bluff and destroy the RC.  This doesn't mesh well with the idea that it's something that hadn't been tested until some no-name newb sorceror in Chicago used storm/sex power to run it.

Offline Alablast

• Seriously?
  • Wheeee!
    • View Profile
Then I remembered that Jim has said that he really enjoyed writing Backup because it allowed him to go into the background of the
(click to show/hide)
, which was something he had really been wanting to do but couldn't do from Harry's perspective for obvious reasons.  Unfortunately at the time that I heard him say that, I hadn't read Backup and had no idea what Jim was talking about. Even more unfortunate, I didn't record it, and apparently it was in an audio or video WoJ source that has yet to be transcribed because I can't find it using browser search methods. 

The opening paragraph in Side Jobs for Backup is pretty much exactly that.  Good memory.  o_O  I would type in the exact quote for you, but I'm too lazy to get up and get my Nook, but it can be found there.
"There are other ways!"
"Then you should have explored them before you tore our people apart!!"

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
The opening paragraph in Side Jobs for Backup is pretty much exactly that.  Good memory.  o_O  I would type in the exact quote for you, but I'm too lazy to get up and get my Nook, but it can be found there.

THANK YOU!

I was going nuts trying to remember where I got that from.

Quote from: Side Jobs page 134 (Nook, presumably from the Hard cover)
I also got to bring some of the other background material of the Dresden Files story world into play.  The Oblivion War was something I really loved, conceptually, but like the White Court its very nature prevented Dresden from getting involved without causing the entire thing to implode.  This was an ideal place for that piece of universe background, and it made me feel all warm and fuzzy to finally get it out where the readers could see it, too.

(My nook was 12 inches from my hand, and was actually at the page before that one for Side Jobs)
« Last Edit: June 29, 2011, 04:06:38 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Alablast

• Seriously?
  • Wheeee!
    • View Profile

In Changes,
(click to show/hide)

Putting this together, we have Victor Sells, a potental mage who works for a possible White Court shell company and was taught
(click to show/hide)
.  I think that Victor was actually a White Court cats paw meant to draw Harry into play on a greater game,
(click to show/hide)
  I suspect that it will eventually be revealed that Victor's teacher was either Lara or Thomas Raith, and I am personally leaning more towards Lara.

Well, that's my theory.  Is it crazy like a fox Duck or just plain crazy?

Why do we all assume the spell was the Red Court's, and that it was a prized possession they've used before?  The impression I got was that the Red Court was given that spell, just like Victor Sells was, and that they were HORRIBLY BAD AT IT.  They had to sacrifice how many people, to get enough juice to kill three wizards, and maybe a few people on Susan's side of the tree?  Say Susan's parents and grandparents were both alive, and she had two siblings- that's twelve people; we'll say fifteen to be safe.  Victor managed to kill two completely unrelated people at the same time without any sacrifices.  I'm not saying that there's no problem to go from killing two unrelated people with one spell to killing fifteen related people, but to be fair Victor Sells wasn't really a wizard, but a gifted person that had learned a few tricks.  The Red Court had multiple sorcerers working on the spell, had props to go along with and beef it up, and while they might have needed some sacrifices even still... I am not too impressed that the Red Court needed that much to pull it off (they were killing for hours while Dresden was on the way there).  Granted, Victor had a storm to beef his spell, but they had a ley line running right underneath.

I don't think it was there spell; I think somebody as yet still unrevealed was manipulating Victor and the Red Court.
"There are other ways!"

Offline contraducktory

• Posty McPostington
  • Graduate of the Black School - Suma Cum Laude
    • View Profile
Possible, Odin never said, it was their spell.  Just that they were working up some big juju, like in the old days.  Does not mean it was there spell.  But if you had a spell that could take out a bloodline, would you share it?
*Shows him the bag bearing the legend Contraducktory brand bacon popcorn. Squeal piggy, squeal.*

Offline Alablast

• Seriously?
  • Wheeee!
    • View Profile
Possible, Odin never said, it was their spell.  Just that they were working up some big juju, like in the old days.  Does not mean it was there spell.  But if you had a spell that could take out a bloodline, would you share it?

With somebody that hated the same guy I did?  In a heartbeat.  That way I don't have to worry about the 'police' coming after me.  The white court isn't the only group that likes to work behind the scenes, and manipulate everybody into doing their dirty work for them.
"There are other ways!"

Offline KeyMasterOfGozer

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
With somebody that hated the same guy I did?  In a heartbeat.  That way I don't have to worry about the 'police' coming after me.  The white court isn't the only group that likes to work behind the scenes, and manipulate everybody into doing their dirty work for them.
IN the time of SF, did the RC or the WC either know who Harry was, or have any reason to have him as an enemy?

Offline Alablast

• Seriously?
  • Wheeee!
    • View Profile
IN the time of SF, did the RC or the WC either know who Harry was, or have any reason to have him as an enemy?

I was arguing more about the possibility that the spell didn't belong to the Red Court originally- that somebody may have given it to them to take down Harry/Eb.

Somebody didn't like somebody enough to give Victor the spell, though.  My guess is it was probably Marcone, especially given how Fool Moon turned out.  That may have been an example of good intentions slowly being corrupted- they started out trying to destroy a criminal, and then got so focused on destroying the people that stood in their way?  More likely they were trying to remove the competition, and worked through intermediaries in case somebody got suspicious. 
"There are other ways!"

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Some thoughts …

I like the idea of Monica using the Arcane as her in with Harry.

As to the rest …

I have little doubt that Pappa Raith was the one behind Victor and the spell.  I think Pappa didn’t have to DO anything with Vic to get it going.  All he had to do was to provide access to some books that had the spell in it.  Remember it’s a Cha-ching spell.  The White Council could easily have had it published to get it used to dilute it like they did lots of other books.  It had simply fallen into dis-use.

As to the notion that it was a RC spell that hadn’t been used in thousands of years, I could see one Black Council member (RC King) talking to the Pappa Raith to get him to find someone to test the spell.  Remember, magic changes over time.  If it hadn’t been used in awhile, it may need tweaking to get it to work right.

To me Papa Raith would have gone for the kill with Harry, not try to get the ball rolling.  I can see Papa teaching VS, but He would have started screaming "Kill him! Kill him!  KILL HIM!!!" once Harry got involved because
(click to show/hide)

I think this would have gone WAY away from Pappa Raith’s nature.  I think he’d still want to use a catspaw and not be so obvious.  Besides, someone already pointed out that he didn’t know Harry was Maggie McCoy’s son.  (I know she’s Maggie Dresden, just wanted to throw that out there.)

Serack – I know in Curses it’s stated that
(click to show/hide)

However it does not say that they CAN’T, just that they don’t and frown on their followers doing it.  Self-imposed limitation, not necessarily a “law”.

At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
I was arguing more about the possibility that the spell didn't belong to the Red Court originally- that somebody may have given it to them to take down Harry/Eb.

Somebody didn't like somebody enough to give Victor the spell, though.  My guess is it was probably Marcone, especially given how Fool Moon turned out.  That may have been an example of good intentions slowly being corrupted- they started out trying to destroy a criminal, and then got so focused on destroying the people that stood in their way?  More likely they were trying to remove the competition, and worked through intermediaries in case somebody got suspicious. 
well don't forget that Victor needed something from the target... hair, nail clippings, blood, ect...  the only reason those people were killed was because Monica's sister was threatening to go to the cops and Marcone. no idea if she told Tommy Tom so he had to got too. Linda was seen talking to Dresden and was planning on blackmailing them. mean while the rat Gimpy still hadn't gotten anything for you to use the spell on Victor with, no hair or nail clippings. until Dresden became a real pain by defeating your demon so you had Gimpy get some of Dresden's hair anyway possible. but yeah having the Beckitts in your group as a super charger to focus their hatred for Marcone seems like it was Marcone as your main target from the start.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
However it does not say that they CAN’T, just that they don’t and frown on their followers doing it.  Self-imposed limitation, not necessarily a “law”.

Quote from: Summer Knight ch10
Bob's eyelights narrowed until they almost went out, then brightened again after a moment as the skull began to speak.  "A Sidhe Knight is a mortal," Bob said.  "A champion of one of the Sidhe Courts.  He gets powers in line with his Court, and he's the only one who is allowed to act in affairs not directly related to the Sidhe."
"Meaning?"
"Meaning that if one of the Queens wants an outsider dead, her Knight is the trigger man."
I frowned.  "Hang on a minute.  You mean that the queens can't personally gun down anyone who isn't in their Court?"
"Not unless the target does something stupid like make an open-ended bargain without even trying to trade a baby for-"
"Off topic, Bob.  Do I or don't I have to worry about getting killed this time around?"
"Of course you do," Bob said in a cheerful tone.  "It just means that the Queen isn't allowed to actually, personally end your life."
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Except we know from the end of Changes that Martin, as a Red court half-vamp priest saw the ritual, or read about it, and used that as the basis for his scheme to double-bluff and destroy the RC.  This doesn't mesh well with the idea that it's something that hadn't been tested until some no-name newb sorceror in Chicago used storm/sex power to run it.

I'm not convinced that because Martin was a sleeper for years means that the precise shape of the end of Changes was his definite or only plan for all that time; also, I can believe that it was a fairly obscure ritual that he knew about and knew they would find or indeed planted for them to find, but that the Red Court would still want a test run on,
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
Then I remembered that Jim has said that he really enjoyed writing Backup because it allowed him to go into the background of the
(click to show/hide)
, which was something he had really been wanting to do but couldn't do from Harry's perspective for obvious reasons. 
(..)
So, we have WoJ that Jim wrote the
(click to show/hide)
into Backup because they are an actual part of the DV that Harry is unaware of.

I am not inclined to see the second as implied in the first, because I can see Jim enjoying being able to write about Thomas being mindgamed in ways that can't be done from harry's POV.
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.