Author Topic: Discontinuity = clue? [GS sample ch spoilers]  (Read 35208 times)

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
Discontinuity = clue? [GS sample ch spoilers]
« on: June 28, 2011, 11:06:43 AM »
Edit:  Originally titled "Did the Beta's notice this?" but I'm updating the OP to reflect stuff found in chapter 4.

Summary:  In DB, Harry visited Mort at a duplex, since he had moved out of his little "California-import" and he commented on Mort having "given up trying to conceal his receding hairline in favor of shaving his scalp completely bald."  Yet in the GS sample chapters, Harry goes to the house "Transplanted from Southern California" and comments, "this was the first time I’d seen him sporting a full-on Charles Xavier."  Something is up!  Dun dun dun.

Below are the original post and a copy of Reply #8 which shows more quotes detailing what's in the summary above.

Original Post

I probably wouldn't have noticed this if I hadn't read the relevant chapter in Dead Beat last night.

Quote from: Dead Beat Ch10
Mortimer Linquist had done pretty well for himself over the past couple years, and he'd moved out of the little california-import stucco ranch house he'd been in the last time I'd gone to visit him.  Now he was working out of a converted duplex in Bucktown.

Now from the Sample Chapter 3, the first part of the description of Mort's home.

Quote from: GS Sample Chapter 3
It was an odd home, for Chicago—a white stucco number with a red tile roof that looked like it had been transplanted from Southern California.

Reply #8

Or maybe Mort's house in Chicagotory (at least as far as Dresden is able to accept at this point in time) is the old, familiar house that he has associated with Mort for years - just prettied up like Harry's ressurected duster, healed hand, and the classic cars everyone seems to be driving...

Somethings up.  

Quote from: GS sample Ch. 4
Mortimer Lindquist seemed to have finally given in to the inevitable. I’d seen him with a bad toupee, and with an even worse comb-over, but this was the first time I’d seen him sporting a full-on Charles Xavier. The unbroken shine of his pate looked a lot better than the partial coverage.  He’d lost weight, too, since the last I’d seen him. I mean, he wasn’t going to be modeling for Abercrombie & Fitch or anything, but he’d definitely dropped from self-destructively obese down to merely stout.

Quote from: DB Ch. 10
He was short, twenty of thirty pounds overweight, and had given up trying to conceal his receding hairline in favor of shaving his scalp completely bald.

Now the thing is, Harry is at the address that he gave Capt. Jack.  If he isn't remembering the events of DB (or at least those particular ones) He might not remember the correct address...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 07:06:25 PM by Serack »
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
Re: Did the Beta's notice this (GS sample chapters spoilers)
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2011, 11:14:33 AM »
Yes.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2011, 11:19:24 AM »
Figured, seems like most everything we readers find since the new "recruits" to the Beta Foo assylum were drafted, didn't get by you guys, dispite getting through to print.

I'm guessing Jim has a character sheet or something on Mort and it contains the old description of the house, since in all 3 visits to Mort's domicile he mentions the cheap spooky decorations or the lack thereof.
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline GateKeeper

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 01:14:02 PM »
so what does this mean? Did someone make a mistake while writing the chapter? or can Harry as a ghost travel in time?

Offline jefferson

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 01:18:13 PM »
Or maybe Mort's house in Chicagotory (at least as far as Dresden is able to accept at this point in time) is the old, familiar house that he has associated with Mort for years - just prettied up like Harry's ressurected duster, healed hand, and the classic cars everyone seems to be driving...

Offline magic penguin

• Posty McPostington
  • what goes around come around
    • View Profile
    • www.google.com/
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 01:26:03 PM »
I was just going to say that.!!
"Age is always advancing and I'm fairly sure it's up to no good" Harry Dresden- White Night.

Offline Phariah

• Posty McPostington
  • When you hear hoof beats think horses not zebras.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 03:49:01 PM »
but i thought he had just been dropped off by Jack and was now in the real world. he had left chicagtory.
Duty is as heavy as a mountain
  Death is as light as a feather

DV Phariah V1.2 YR 2 FR0.5 BK+++RP JB- TH WG+++ CL SW BC+ MC--- SH[Murphy++, Lara+]

Offline Alablast

• Seriously?
  • Wheeee!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 04:07:35 PM »
Maybe Mort likes that type of house?  The impression I got was that after Harry's visits he stopped 'working', and just focused on helping the dead- maybe he moved back into a home of his own?  It could be too that he just moved his office to the other place; Harry mentioned originally that Mort's threshold was crazy weak because he had been doing work out of it, but in the sample chapter he knows he won't be able to cross it.
"There are other ways!"
"Then you should have explored them before you tore our people apart!!"

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 10:59:35 AM »

Somethings up. 

Mortimer Lindquist seemed to have finally given in to the inevitable. I’d seen him with a bad toupee, and with an even worse comb-over, but this was the first time I’d seen him sporting a full-on Charles Xavier. The unbroken shine of his pate looked a lot better than the partial coverage.  He’d lost weight, too, since the last I’d seen him. I mean, he wasn’t going to be modeling for Abercrombie & Fitch or anything, but he’d definitely dropped from self-destructively obese down to merely stout.

Quote from: DB Ch. 10
He was short, twenty of thirty pounds overweight, and  had given up trying to conceal his receding hairline in favor of shaving his scalp completely bald.

Now the thing is, Harry is at the address that he gave Capt. Jack.  If he isn't remembering the events of DB (or at least those particular ones) He might not remember the correct address...
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline itari

• Conversationalist
  • lost and delirious
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 11:22:00 AM »
Somethings up. 

Now the thing is, Harry is at the address that he gave Capt. Jack.  If he isn't remembering the events of DB (or at least those particular ones) He might not remember the correct address...

Or what if Harry is not in May in a year after his death, but in May BEFORE Dead Beat? :)

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 11:30:48 AM »
Or what if Harry is not in May in a year after his death, but in May BEFORE Dead Beat? :)

That would mean Sir Stu is lying when he says

Sir Stuart pursed his lips. “It seems to me that if your demise was to leave someone vulnerable, something would have happened to them already. It’s been six months, after all.”

And Cellie said this about the timing quite a while ago:

It's set immediately after "Changes" AND about seven months later.  Simultaneously.  Wrap your heads around that. :D

Depending on when in October Changes happened (I don't remember exactly when but the timeline says Oct) "about 7 months" might be more accurate than Stu's "six months" and since Priscellie is the timeline chick, if I were to place bets it would be that the timeline has progressed at least 6 months, not gone back that far.  Although that would be a good explination for this odd discrepancy...
DF WoJ Compilation

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
Re: Discontinuity = clue? [GS sample ch spoilers]
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 03:38:19 PM »
So, Mort moved back to the stucco house.  That's all.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline OlosBC

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 04:30:36 PM »
Could it maybe have something to do with how harry was "supposed to" die in Dead Beat, until Gard/Marcone saved him from Corpsetaker?

Lothy

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 04:35:34 PM »
I take it to mean that as a Spirit Harry is seeing things as he knows them, instead of how they are. In other words his vision is tainted by his own thoughts and ideas. So he sees Mort as natural Mort. I would not be surprised if he saw Murphy as a flaming angel should he come across her.

Offline Serack

• Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 04:35:49 PM »
So, Mort moved back to the stucco house.  That's all.

Read reply #8 to see how that is not all
DF WoJ Compilation