Author Topic: A fresh perspective on Proven Guity (Spoilers for everything)  (Read 24169 times)

Offline DominicJ

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: A fresh perspective on Proven Guity (Spoilers for everything)
« Reply #30 on: July 06, 2011, 07:44:23 AM »
What if it wasnt an attack, it was a recue?
Lea was still encased in ice at the time wasnt she?

Winter forces were at the border, leaving Arctis Tor mostly undefended.

Mabs powerful but I really struggle to believe shes click my fingers and armies die powerful, we did see her at war once remember....
And here I thought Alera was self-plugging.

Offline Grey Knight

• Seriously?
  • The Snark Knight Rises
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 06, 2011, 07:53:21 AM »
Agravaine you are assuming that the assault failed in its goals, but the only bodies Harry & co. find are those of trolls so apparently no one from the assault team died, if no one died in the attempt it makes no sense to withdraw before completing your goal, I think the most likely reason for the attack was as a jail break..

Yes, but do you really think Mab couldn't dispose of any bodies she wanted to?

What if it wasnt an attack, it was a recue?
Lea was still encased in ice at the time wasnt she?

Winter forces were at the border, leaving Arctis Tor mostly undefended.

Mabs powerful but I really struggle to believe shes click my fingers and armies die powerful, we did see her at war once remember....

We have seen her against Summer, with her exact equal Titania countering everything she did.  The Queens balance each other, and The war between the Fae court really boils down to the small pieces. (like Toot in SK :))
No hurling on the shell, dude, OK?  Just waxed it.

Quote from: Chiroptera
You look really badass kissing that puppy, I assure you.

Quote from: Enchantedwater
Stop talking about my assery!

Make the little the little things count...teach dwarves math!

Offline Dresdenus Prime

• Conversationalist
  • More than meets the Wizards Sight
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 06, 2011, 04:00:49 PM »
Being a huge Molly fan Knnn I love this topic. And Proven Guilty is my favorite of the series. I'm going to have to read it again keeping in mind all the great points you made. 8)
DV Dresdenus Prime v1.2 YR6 FR(M)1 BK+ RP- JB TH++ WGH CL- SW+ BC+ MC++++ SH(Molly++++ Murphy- Elaine-- Mab+++++)

Offline AcornArmy

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 07, 2011, 05:45:44 AM »
Apologies for my previous post, I do think the OP had some good ideas about Molly being the focus of whatever was originally going on at SplatterCon!!! Someone did seem to be interested in Molly, specifically, since she seems to have been led to the decision to use neuromancy on her friends. The addition of Madrigal, a known associate of Vitto Malvora/Cowl/the Black Council, would seem to indicate their involvement. Whether or not Molly was chosen because of an inherent specialness, or simply because she was a new wizard with ties to Michael and Harry, though, I don't think we can be sure yet.

I got sidetracked earlier because I started trying to trace Molly's involvement in the PG mess, and then I suddenly realized that, after Changes, it was finally possible to make a guess about who fixed Little Chicago and have some confidence that the guess was correct.
DV AcornArmy YR5FR5 BK+++ RP+ TH+(++) WG+++ CL++ SH[Mab+ Lara++ Molly+++]

Offline kazimmoinuddin

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 07, 2011, 11:52:43 PM »
so vitto and the jann, are pawns of the BC, also the woman who spoke to molly about fear was one too. she might have even influenced molly into casting such magic. there are theories she was a plant.
k moinuddin

Offline Jersey

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 09, 2011, 03:20:43 PM »
I think this is all about Lea myself.

1) There was a special connection between Maggie Sr and Lea. Then Maggie Sr dies leaving Lea to play godmother to Harry.

2) I've had a theory that Harry's father was a retired Knight of the Cross. A stage magician would be an excellent cover for a retired Knight considering the church's views on magic. It would help to conceal him from both supernatural predators ad the church itself.

This makes Harry the son of a Knight and a wizard.

Lea assists Harry in overcoming Justin. But her bargain is for his life and he skips out on it. Then proceeds to keep as much distance from Lea as he can.

Fast forward to the party at Bianca's. Lea attempts to make a deal with Michael for Molly (the daughter of a Knight and a wizard). Obviously he says no. But she keeps her eyes on the situation and takes the opportunity to place one of her own agents (the SplatterCon coordinator) close to Molly at the shelter where she sometimes lives and helps out.

Forward again to Proven Guilty where Molly is recently come into her powers. The coordinator makes some suggestions to Molly giving her the idea to use her powers to help her friends with addiction. Probably the same ploy Lea used on Maggie Sr when she was a young girl. Appealing to her idealist nature about the role of the WC.

So now we sum up. Lea has appeared to Maggie Sr, Harry, and Molly (but not Elaine who sought refuge with the SUMMER court). She has influenced or attempted to influence each of them at about the same time in their lives. And along the way the BC gives her the athame. All of this to further her attempt to overthrow Mab.

But Mab has growing doubts about her top lieutenant and she sends the fetches to take Molly. So now Lea leads the attack on Arctis Tor to try an seize Molly for her own. And all the dead winter monsters were ones she had persuaded to join her in overthrowing Mab. Mab kicks all their a##$%. Then she confronts Lea, takes the athame, and freezes her in ice. Now Harry shows up and Mab conceals herself and watches Harry take back Molly. Mab wins.
Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy  --Ben Franklin

Offline itari

• Conversationalist
  • lost and delirious
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 09, 2011, 03:31:33 PM »
2) I've had a theory that Harry's father was a retired Knight of the Cross. A stage magician would be an excellent cover for a retired Knight considering the church's views on magic. It would help to conceal him from both supernatural predators ad the church itself.
Couldn't Malcolm be a vanilla mortal, and just a decent person who had to take care of his talented son?

But Mab has growing doubts about her top lieutenant and she sends the fetches to take Molly. So now Lea leads the attack on Arctis Tor to try an seize Molly for her own.
Lea was already unavailable in DB, sorry.

Offline the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh

• O. M. G.
  • Riding eternal, shiny and Firefox
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 10, 2011, 02:33:06 AM »
But when you think about it, other than Molly's mind-control stuff, is there any other Black Magic going on in Chicago?  What exactly is the Gatekeeper trying to prevent?

I'm inclined to read what the Gatekeeper is trying to prevent is not Molly's fall because Molly is important, but the likely consequences for Harry's relationship to the Council if they execute Molly; that would fit with his explicitly warning Harry on that matter in TC. Dead Molly could easily mean berserk Harry having to be put down by Eb or Morgan, for example.

I've seen the various theories that they had some hold or bargain over Mab, or that maybe this was a strike to remove the Athame from Mab's possession (heck, I made that one myself at some point), but then this never really explained why Harry needed to come to Arctis Tor - the real attack was already defeated.

For completeness' sake, if we're summing up the options, I'd like to throw in another hypothesis:

The real "attack" on Winter is via the means of the athame, warping Mab and Lea, and possibly also via the means of Lea being required to make bargains that are not for Winter's good (like swapping the athame for Amoracchius in the first place).  The Scarecrow a) has power entirely outside the nature of any of the other Fetches, which Harry identifies at the end of PG as "Black Council" modus operandi and b) has Harry's power fade out when it somes to near, in ways much more similar to Lord Raith's Outsider-backed immunity in BR than to just being too strong for it (cf. Ursiel in DM, "Grum" in SK).  This leads me to suspect the Scarecrow is an Outsider-plus-allies agent who has the run of Arctis Tor.

The frontal assault by some Denarian - supposedly Namshiel though Mab avoids confirming this directly and makes great effort to distract Harry when he suggests it - is a rescue mission.  The whole point is to blow away enough goblins and trolls that Harry and company have a hope of getting into Arctis Tor.  

Mab's reason for going to such lengths to keep Harry in the dark about this ? Is that if he realised he could claim it as one of the favours he owes her paid.

- Madrigal is a known cats-paw for the BC.  Someone invited him over a year before the convention started.  Speculation is that he covering for **something**

Harry seems pretty clear that Madrigal is there as a distraction; a known fear-feeder to distract his attention from what the real phobophages are up to.  We know that Lucius the Jann actually arranged that invitation for Madrigal, and I find the Scarecrow making a point of killing the unconscious Lucius rather than taking the advantage of surprise rather than using the advantage of surprise against any of its more dangerous foes also indicative of the Scarecrow's motivations.

Also, I'd say that technically we know Madrigal has links to the Circle alluded to in WN; whether this is the Circle alluded to in Changes, or the "Black Council". is entirely unproven.

that the general BC mode of operation is to give powerful-but-dangerous black magic tools to various people and let them run loose:  
- Victor Sells
- Hexunwulf FBI
- Kravos

I think it's arguable whether any of those is let run loose at all, rather than attempts to lure Harry into something specific and totally different.  Indeed, the deeper purpose for which Kravos is used is pretty solidly established in the text of GP.  

1) Scarecrow is not that important to her that she wouldn't risk him in an attempt to gain something.

That seems a kind of weaker motivation than "Getting rid of Scarecrow is important to her." I am not seeing why Mab would need to hide in disguise and do nothing unless Harry's actions there are both important and things she can't do directly.  Mab does not strike me as someone who rolls dice.

Harry accidentally blows up the wellspring of Winter during the fight - wounding Mab (that's right, Harry wounded Mab, not the Hellfire attack), and calling back the hosts of Winter.
Oops...

I don't find that plausible because the results of it so very neatly punish the Reds for a transgression against Winter (and not Summer) in DB.

I bold-faced the part that I think implies that Harry's "pour Summer Fire into Winter's heart" was not by design.

I can see how you might read that that way, but to my mind that also works for a reading that being rid of the Scarecrow is what Mab needs Harry there for and trashing the Reds is a side-effect, though a very useful one.

- Lea attempts to bargain with Michael for Molly in PG.

Faerie wanting people's firstborn is a traditional bargaining chip, and Maeve asks for Harry's in SK, so I do not read this as likely very significant.

- Father Forthill's "hunch" at the end of PG -> it implies that the WG wanted Harry to teach Molly.

But remember that at the start of SmF Michael explicitly says that if he does not know who's behind what appears to him to be random good luck he will thank the WG for it.  Michael, and to my mind Forthill as well, are philosophically inclined to credit any good they get to the WG, no matter who is actually behind it.  (Some small part of me wants one day to see one of them misattribute something to the WG that is a beneficial act of, say, Odin, and then have them called before Odin to answer for that insult.  But then I'm mean that way.)
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:46:44 AM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »
Mildly OCD. Please do not troll.

"What do you mean, Lawful Silly isn't a valid alignment?"

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 10, 2011, 02:42:57 AM »
Oh, and one other thing:

Harry accidentally blows up the wellspring of Winter during the fight - wounding Mab (that's right, Harry wounded Mab, not the Hellfire attack)

To make that work requires one to see Mab's reaction to Kemmler's name in DB as something inherent to her psychology rather than the first sign of her wounding. I find the notion of Mab actually being scared enough of a mortal to lose her composure very much out of character.

I favour the notion that Mab and Lea both are wounded by the means of the athame.  Your notion here requires some other explanation to be found for the damage done to Lea as visible in PG, and as starting to affect her at some time prior to DB.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2011, 02:47:30 AM by the neurovore of Zur-En-Aargh »

kittensgame, Sandcastle Builder, Homestuck, Welcome to Night Vale, Civ III, lots of print genre SF, and old-school SATT gaming if I had the time.  Also Pandemic Legacy is the best game ever.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 10, 2011, 02:49:20 AM »
Yes, but do you really think Mab couldn't dispose of any bodies she wanted to?

The question would then, be, why would she not want to dispose of the trolls and goblins ?

We have seen her against Summer, with her exact equal Titania countering everything she did.  The Queens balance each other, and The war between the Fae court really boils down to the small pieces. (like Toot in SK :))

Every single time we do, the end result benefits both Courts. the war between the Faerie Courts seems to me to be an unfortunate consequence of their nature that in practice the Queens put most of their efforts into working around.

Offline co99p

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 10, 2011, 03:20:02 AM »
Wonderful OP and equally fun feedback and counterpoint - definitly worth staying up past my bed time  :)

One thought on the motives for the Black Council - Why would they Not want to see the Red Court taken down a peg or two?
Nic thought they were a nuisance and a danger to his plans - even if the BC and RC were working together the RC had been, up to that point, having extrordinary success, and likely causing them to flex their muscles in any arrangement with the BC "who needs you / time to renegotiate the partnership"  a sound defeat would weaken them, and restore some of the BC's leverage.

The original strike on Arctis Tor probably had multiple potential benefits, as have been listed in prior posts. Drawing the forces of Winter back to ArcT was could have been just one of them. 

I suppose its also possible that the BC wasn't behind the attack and there is another group moving behind the scenes, though I really don't like mutilplying bad guys, the conspiracy theories are hard enough to keep track of!

Mab's behavior - I think its the nature of the Sidhe, especially the powerful ones, to plan long range and every act is working on 7 or 8 levels at the same time.  Mab's wink ? If she can't always predict Harry, she doesn't seem to hold it against him.

And in honor of an absent Duck  - a note on the Mab Rashid Connection
Molly=Mab
Gatekeeper=Time Travelling Harry
Good friends working together through the years ;D
Funny Stuff  XKCD http://xkcd.com/585/   Indexed http://thisisindexed.com/     
Ignorance is what killed the cat. It then framed Curiosity for the murder. No harm in asking.

Kettu

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2011, 09:39:37 AM »
The question would then, be, why would she not want to dispose of the trolls and goblins ?

This is the second time that you mentioned that there were dead goblins on Arctis Tor, so I just had to check, and that is indeed what Harry says (Proven Guilty, paperback pg. 357):

I rose and nudged a smaller skull with my staff. "The littler ones were goblins," I said. "Foot soldiers."

But goblins are the Erlking's subjects, no? They wouldn't be defending Mab's stronghold. So, is this a clue that the Erlking was one of the attackers, or is Harry just mistaken? If Harry is right then it would explain why Erl was lurking close enough to almost catch Harry later when he's making his escape, but it doesn't explain why the returning hosts of Winter let him join them instead of attacking him. On the other hand, if Erl's goblins were in league with Mab would it also imply that Titania was involved, since Erl is the Summer King, not Winter?

Damn those faeries, it's always questions with them, and never answers.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 10, 2011, 02:01:34 PM »
But goblins are the Erlking's subjects, no? They wouldn't be defending Mab's stronghold. So, is this a clue that the Erlking was one of the attackers, or is Harry just mistaken?

I had not thought of that before. Good point. I thought the remains were there were all defenders, but I do not recall where I got that impression.

I think from what we see in SK that any wyldfae can be recruited by  Summer or Winter if need be, so them being Winter goblins is not a problem for me. The trolls definitely are Winter, Harry gets a memory flash from one of them IIRC.

Kettu

« Reply #43 on: July 10, 2011, 03:04:17 PM »
I had not thought of that before. Good point. I thought the remains were there were all defenders, but I do not recall where I got that impression.

I think from what we see in SK that any wyldfae can be recruited by  Summer or Winter if need be, so them being Winter goblins is not a problem for me. The trolls definitely are Winter, Harry gets a memory flash from one of them IIRC.

Harry knows the trolls were Mab's elite guard because he remembers seeing them during the battle in SK.

On Arctis Tor the gates are broken and the bodies of the attackers are littering the field outside, the tunnel under the walls, and the part of the courtyard closest to the gates. The bones of the defenders lie in small piles here and there in the courtyard. It's not exactly clear which pile the skull Harry identifies as goblin came from, though.

Good point about the Courts recruiting wyldfae, but I still find Mab Calling the Erlking a bit odd.

• O. M. G.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 10, 2011, 03:35:08 PM »
Good point about the Courts recruiting wyldfae, but I still find Mab Calling the Erlking a bit odd.

I don't think Mab called the Erking at all; I think Erl noticed the Winter host moving, figured Harry was there (Thomas can sense his presence through having been part of the Hunt, I can buy this as mutual) and was moving in independently.