Author Topic: To Build A Master Faerie List  (Read 2033 times)

Offline Vine

• Participant
    • View Profile
To Build A Master Faerie List
« on: June 27, 2011, 01:15:12 AM »
I'm thinking of compiling a master list to help players of changelings.

Not counting the ones in the book, I want to try to accumulate an extensive list of various faeries and other fae-type creatures.
No need for a full write-up, just the powers that each one would have.

« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:39:32 AM by Vine »

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
Re: To Build A Master Faerie List
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 01:31:06 AM »
Don't think you'll ever have a master list - there are too many legends to pull inspiration from.  That's a good thing!  :)

That said, here are a couple I've put together for use:
  • Cait Sidhe - Cat-like wyld fae with the ability to talk to, and some say become, cats of varying sizes.  They're purported to be extremely fast and stealthy.
  • Cruaidh Sidhe - Fae who work with metal are said to be twisted and malformed dwarves.  They're also resistant to iron's poisonous bite. 
  • Gwaed Sidhe - These fae work with and through blood.  It is said they can sense the blood flowing in your veins before they see you.  Their magics are whispered to be dark...
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

"Rudeness is a weak imitation of strength."  - Eric Hoffer

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 02:37:50 AM »
Hadn't realized you wanted an actual write-up.  Here's what I had for each (minus skills).

Cait Sidhe
 - Stunts:  Corner of My Eye (Alertness); Acrobat (Athletics); Mighty Leap (Athletics); Honest Lies (Deceit); Lethal Weapon (Fists)
 - Powers:  Claws, Echoes of the Beast (Cat); Glamours (Greater Glamours if Noble); (Seelie / Unseelie Magic if Noble); Cloak of Shadows; (Human Guise if Noble); Supernatural Speed (Mythic if Noble); Inhuman Recovery (Catch is Cold Iron and the like); Inhuman Toughness (Catch is Cold Iron and the like)

Cruaidh Sidhe
 - Stunts:  Cat Burglar (Burglary); No Pain No Gain (Endurance); Tireless (Endurance); Wrestler (Might); Good Arm (Weapons)
 - Powers:  Diminutive Size; Supernatural Sense (Metal); Glamours (Greater Glamours if Noble); Inhuman Speed (Supernatural Speed if Noble); Inhuman Strength (Supernatural Strength if Noble); Inhuman Recovery (Catch is Winter and Summer court trappings); Supernatural Toughness (Mythic if Noble) (Catch is Winter and Summer court trappings)

Gwaed Sidhe
 - Stunts:  Ear to the Ground (Contacts); Honest Lies (Deceit); Unshakeable (Discipline); Weight of Reputation (Presence); Riposte (Weapons)
 - Powers:  Supernatural Sense (Knows Blood); Greater Glamours; Seelie / Unseelie Magic; Psychometry (through blood); Human Guise; Inhuman Speed; Inhuman Strength; Inhuman Recovery (Catch is Cold Iron and the like); Inhuman Toughness (Catch is Cold Iron and the like)

Edit:  Probably need to point out that I differentiate common fae from those powerful enough to be someone in a court - the nobles. 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 02:39:44 AM by UmbraLux »
--
“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.”  - Albert Einstein

Offline Taran

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • Chip
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 11:46:24 AM »
@ UmbraLux: Any thought as to what "court" these would be?  Wyld fae?

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 11:59:54 AM »
@ UmbraLux: Any thought as to what "court" these would be?  
Why would they be tied to just one? 

I do generally have the Cruaidh Sidhe as wylde or independent.  Largely because of their catch - it makes them vulnerable to the Winter and Summer fae.  The Cait are proabably as independent as they can be just because they're cats.  :)  However, most fae aren't tied to a court by racial lines.  We see this when
(click to show/hide)
--

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2011, 07:03:18 PM »
@ UmbraLux: Any thought as to what "court" these would be?  Wyld fae?

From what was said in one of the novels, not sure who said it, it seems like a Fae's court is usually determined by their personality. It seems that destructive fae lean towards Winter while nurturing do Summer. If they fall in a grey area, then I'd say Wyld.

I may be mistaken, but I think that was it.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline lordoracle

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2011, 07:14:03 PM »
Don't think you'll ever have a master list - there are too many legends to pull inspiration from.  That's a good thing!  :)

True. When the game first came out, I was trying to create a template for pucks as a race, based on Rob Thurman's Cal Leandros novels, and someone countered that there was only one Puck, the one Shakespeare wrote about.

There are too many mythologies to create an absolute list much as with vampires. White Wolf came up with an excellent idea with Vampire The Masquerade by taking the conflicting legends and making them into various bloodlines to explain the differences.
"If you steal from one author, it's plagiarism; if you steal from many, it's research." - Wilson Mizner

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2011, 07:20:10 PM »
Pooka, for instance, are an entertaining race in "Changeling," but one of the "traditional" fairy breed of that name is more of a murderous spirit that pretends to be a horse, tricks people into riding them, then drowning them.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline UmbraLux

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2011, 10:17:35 PM »
From what was said in one of the novels, not sure who said it, it seems like a Fae's court is usually determined by their personality. It seems that destructive fae lean towards Winter while nurturing do Summer. If they fall in a grey area, then I'd say Wyld.
Yes, I see court affiliations as essentially political or personal with a feudal outlook.  Differing races and species of fae will often serve in multiple courts.  A personal relationship, as subject to feudal lord, is more important than the overall political picture.  If a fae lord switches alliances, so do his underlings and sworn subjects.  That said, fae don't change easily...and neither do their affiliations. 

Back on subject, here's another fae:
Leshy
  • Common when the earth was covered in old growth forests, leshy have since retreated to the Nevernever and a few remaining earthly forests.
  • Stunts:  Corner of My Eye (Alertness); Acrobat (Athletics); Faster than Sight (Use Athletics for Stealth in forests); Redirected Force (Fists); Way of the Bow (Guns)
  • Powers:  Diminutive Size; Spider Walk; Supernatural Sense (The Trees Talk to Me); Glamours; Supernatural Speed; Ritual (Plant Magic)
--

Offline Vine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 12:41:24 AM »
My overall look at the court thing is as follows.
Some particular species have a natural tendancy.  Hobs are winter, gruffs are summer, etc.  Exceptions will exist (see below).
Many (most?) have no, or only a slight natural prediliction, and their associations and actions will generally determine a court if there is a calling of the wyldfae, but they will generally be left alone.
Many will choose to associate themselves with a court without needing to be born or compelled into one.