Author Topic: Item Of Power Master List  (Read 63190 times)

Offline timorzo

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Item Of Power Master List
« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2012, 12:04:34 AM »
I was trying to make a few more items of power, and was wondering if you guys could give me an opinion on them. Specifically, I'm wondering if these would also be better represented as aspects. Thanks again and sorry for the volume of questions.

Marci's Roller Skates [-1]
Description: A pair of pink and white rollerskates created as a gift to a powerful wizard's spoiled neice.
[-0] Purpose: To punish the person who wear's the skates.
[-0] It is what it is: A set of magical roller skates
[-0] Unbreakable. As an item of power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual that opposes its nature.
[+2] One-Time Discount. A set of roller skates that NEVER can come off.
[-2] Magical Skating: Rollerskates add to athletics rolls when used to determine number of zones moved, regardless of terrain
[-1] Skate Pro: Gives the wearer a +2 to any performance check regarding skilled moves, or tricks on roller skates

The Box For Marci's Roller Skates [-3]
Description: A box left among valuables, to entice thieves to open it, resulting with their face being permanently melted off.
[-0] Purpose: To punish people who open the box, who presumably are stealing other valuables.
[-0] It is what it is: A box that when opened melt's who ever opened it's face off
[-0] Unbreakable. As an item of power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual that opposes its nature.
[+1] One-Time Discount. A box the size of a shoebox.
[-4] Faceoff: Whoever opens the box receives the extreme physical consequence of melted face.
[-0] Untouchable: When opened, the box generates large amount of heat. This renders the box untouchable until the target's face is melted.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 01:54:51 AM by timorzo »

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 12, 2012, 01:27:57 AM »
Ranger Morpher [-4]
It is what it is?
The ranger morpher is a portable device like a mobile phone which allows you to turn a superhuman ranger.
+1 Item of Power

Ranger Transformation (-1) Like Beast change for rangers
Human Form (non ranger form) +1
Affecting
Inhuman Strength [-2]
Inhuman Speed   [-2]
Inhuman Toughness [-2]
Catch of Plot Devices [+0]
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline timorzo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 15, 2012, 09:56:05 PM »
The Eye of God [-4]
Description: An eye that when surgically implanted, can give true sight, seeing through all veils, and lies.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
[-0] Purpose: To see things for what they really are.
[-0] It is what it is: An eyeball that looks vaguely human.
[+1] One-Time Discount. An eye is easily concealed. Just keep it closed.
[-2] True Seeing: The ability to see through all veils, shapeshifts, and glamours.
[-3] Godly Insight: Gives a +6 bonus to Empathy when trying to discern the truth.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2012, 03:54:12 AM »
The skates are interesting but flawed. First up, Magical Skating has no clear effect. How much does it add to Athletics? Does it negate terrain problems? Also, non-re-movability kinda seems to defeat the purpose of an Item of Power.

The box probably isn't workable. One-shot items are never Items Of Power.

The morpher is fine.

The Eye Of God is okay-ish, but I dislike it. First of all, True Seeing really ought to be written up as a full custom power. And what I said here still applies. Secondly, Godly Insight provides a huge bonus. Just because you can get +2 for 1 refresh doesn't mean you can get +6 for 3 refresh. And thirdly, Godly Insight is a social power. I prefer to avoid those for genre reasons.

That's mostly just personal preference stuff, though. The eye is more or less workable as-is.

Offline timorzo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2012, 11:13:16 PM »
The skates are interesting but flawed. First up, Magical Skating has no clear effect. How much does it add to Athletics? Does it negate terrain problems? Also, non-re-movability kinda seems to defeat the purpose of an Item of Power.

Marci's Roller Skates [-1]
Description: A pair of pink and white rollerskates created as a gift to a powerful wizard's spoiled neice.
[+2] Removing Skates: Before the skates can be taken off they first must be soaked for 2 hours in public fountain that is consecrated with a coin from the year and country the skates were made, 1972 America, and they need to be dried off with werebear fur.
[+1] One-Time Discount. A set of roller skates
[-2] Magical Skating: The rollerskates add +3 to athletics rolls when used to determine number of zones moved, and +2 on difficult terrain.
[-2] Skate Pro: The wearer recieves +3 to any performance check regarding advanced techniques, or tricks on roller skates.

One-shot items are never Items Of Power.

The box is designed to work everytime it is opened, not just the first time.

The Eye Of God is okay-ish, but I dislike it. First of all, True Seeing really ought to be written up as a full custom power. And what I said here still applies. Secondly, Godly Insight provides a huge bonus. Just because you can get +2 for 1 refresh doesn't mean you can get +6 for 3 refresh. And thirdly, Godly Insight is a social power. I prefer to avoid those for genre reasons.

The Eye of God [-4]
Description: An eye that when surgically implanted, can give true sight, seeing through all veils, and lies.
[-4] True Seeing: The owner receives a +5 bonus to perceive veils, shapeshifts, and glamours.
[-1] Added Insight: Gives a +2 bonus to empathy when trying to discern the truth.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 17, 2012, 12:25:45 AM »
Thieves Heart [-4]
It is what it is?
A Crystalline Heart said to have been ripped from a thieving prince of Fairies by a rather irate Mab. The heart looks like an egg sized diamond.
+1 Concealable Item of Power
Feeding Dependance (theft) +1 the owner of this heart inherits the thief princes incredible kleptomania 
Affecting:
Greater Glamours  [-4]
Thieves Invite [-?] For a thief a strong lock or armed guards are considered all the invitation one needs,  the owner of the heart is considered invited into any secure place.

Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2012, 07:05:53 AM »
The heart is cool, though I really don't know how to price the invite power.

You know, it is amazing to me how many fan-made items of power use powers that were created specifically for those items.

Anyway...the box probably still won't work. Items Of Power grant powers to their bearers. What power does the box grant? Can you use it like a gun, opening it at people?

The Eye Of God is looking better, but I think that True Seeing is overpriced now.

The Skates are also looking better, but I think that Skate Pro is probably too pricey. 1 Refresh for +2 is standard.

Not entirely sure how Magical Skating works. Is the +2 on difficult terrain cumulative with the +3 to sprinting? It might be better to phrase the difficult terrain bit as penalty negation.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
I make no apologies. I'm in a very silly mood and have Dr. McNinja on the brain.

[-4*]Mustache of Authority

Description: A well-groomed mustache, with the style varying from person to person.
[-0] Purpose: To give the wearer the utmost authority and leadership.
[-0] It is what it is: A mustache.
[-0] Unbreakable: As an item of power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual that opposes its nature. However, when shaved, the powers recede until it grows back.
[-0] One-Time Discount: Varies. Adult males will get no discount. Boys clearly too young for a mustache get +1. Females--or creatures that should by no rights have facial hair--get +2.
[-1] Because the 'Stache Says So: With such glorious facial hair, it's clear that you're a natural born leader. Bearers of the Mustache of Authority get +2 to their Presence scores to establish themselves as an authority figure.
[-1] Marked by the 'Stache: Such a magnificent mustache gives you an obvious advantage in social conflict. All social rolls are made at +1 when made toward those who recognize the power of the 'stache.
[-2] The 'Stache Bows To No One: Few have the ability to get the better of you when you have such gravitas as conferred by this item. The bearer has Armor:1 against all Social attacks, and has 2 extra Social stress boxes.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:18:03 PM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 19, 2012, 03:02:30 AM »
Sentient Sword Amos [-2]
Description: A two handed great sword, inlay-ed with guilt with a name inscribed in its handle. This sword serves as the prison of the demon Amos bound to a sword because of a wizard who just didn't get the joke.

[-0] Purpose: To enjoy itself and to be the best sword ever (a matter of professional pride).
[-0] It is what it is: Weapons 5 Incredibly Sharp Great Sword (-1)
[+2] Obvious Item of Power
[-1] Ancient Knowledge: Amos is an ancient demon and has pretty good lore and scholarship (equal to the wielders Weapons skill) if he feels like it he may share that knowledge with his owner. (you can use his lore or scholarship for a point of sponsor debt).
[-1] Sentient Sword: As a sentient sword Amos can supplement his owners weapon skill when they are lacking. Add 1 to weapons skill when Amos is in a good mood (such as when you are killing things or burning down villages).
[-1] Parry the  unparry-able : Amos can be used to parry anything physical including physical magic and sun stroke.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 12:23:43 PM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline timorzo

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 19, 2012, 11:56:00 PM »
Marci's Roller Skates [-0]
[+2] Removing Skates: Before the skates can be taken off they first must be soaked for 2 hours in public fountain that is consecrated with a coin from the year and country the skates were made, 1972 America, and they need to be dried off with werebear fur.
[+1] One-Time Discount. A set of roller skates
[-2] Magical Skating: The rollerskates add +3 to athletics rolls when used to determine number of zones moved, and negates difficult terrain.
[-1] Skate Pro: The wearer recieves +2 to any performance check regarding advanced techniques, or tricks on roller skates.

The Eye of God [-3]
[-3] True Seeing: The owner receives a +5 bonus to perceive veils, shapeshifts, and glamours.
[-1] Added Insight: Gives a +2 bonus to empathy when trying to discern the truth.

The Staff of Phibus [-3]
Description: A powerful staff once belonging to an ancient but powerful politician and buissnessman. A man who was said to at one time own all the farms in the world, but that was a myth, or was it?
[-0] Purpose: The staff is known for it's accelerated growing properties, and for spiritual enhancement.
[-0] It is what it is: A six foot tall staff made of a distinct but unique type of wood.
[+2] One-Time Discount. A staff is rather large and un-hideable.
[-4] Staff of Growth: All Plants in the zone the staff occupies and all adjacent zones increase rate of growth multiplied by the wielder's conviction score, and if concentrated on the rate of growth can increase by 20 times the wielder's conviction roll.
[-1] Nature Channel: Gives a +2 bonus to any spells used to interact with or enhance nature.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 21, 2012, 12:41:11 AM »
The sword looks good.

The Mustache is kinda good, but it isn't an item. It's a body part.

The eye looks good now.

The skates look good, except I missed something important earlier: Removing Skates really shouldn't give a rebate. It should just be a compel.

The staff needs work. Plant growth rates are not defined, and as such multiplying them does jack and squat. Plus Nature Channel steps on Refinement's toes rather badly, and anyway doesn't make much sense mechanically. Might be better to make this into a Sponsored Magic-granting item.

Incidentally, why is it that so many people create new powers when writing Items Of Power? What's wrong with stunts and canon powers?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #86 on: April 21, 2012, 01:44:53 AM »
Well, yes. As I said, I was feeling silly at the time.

There's nothing wrong with canon stunts and powers, but using an item of power to give canon stunts and powers makes it kind of generic, I think. I figured this thread was for unique ideas for Items of Power.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 21, 2012, 02:16:20 AM »
Generic? Really?

Most of my favourite items use no non-canon powers at all. Sometimes they have reflavourings, though.

Does the Lamp Of Diogenes look generic to you? Does Hitler's robo-suit?

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #88 on: April 21, 2012, 02:23:04 AM »
I haven't really read all of them in detail. Maybe generic was the wrong word. I'm not always great at explaining things.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 21, 2012, 02:24:37 AM »
I dunno, you might be completely right.

It's just weird to me that people would think that way.

But this isn't the sort of situation where there's a right way to think.