Author Topic: Item Of Power Master List  (Read 62282 times)

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
Re: Item Of Power Master List
« Reply #30 on: February 26, 2012, 01:23:08 AM »
@ Sanctaphrax, Changes Made:

Scrapped Gungnir, disappointed that it didn't work out, but meh, not my problem.

Boosted the Weapons value of all the swords to 3.

Added extra effects to Excalibur and it's scabbard.

Changed Solomon's Seal to regular Divination.

Added Reality Warper to Tablet of Destiny instead, hope you don't mind that I did a straight copy/pasta.

@Silverblaze: Arthur got himself killed in one ending of the Myth, so Physical Immunity doesn't really fit.

I know those swords are spoken for, heck, in my mind every sword in every mythology that was a gift from heaven was once a Sword of the Cross, these are just a more literal taking of the myths, not Canon.  :D

The Holy Grail, depending on how far back you go, didn't do anything other than "Catch the Blood of Christ" or Cure all wounds and provide unlimited food. So I would go with Mythic Recovery and an Aspect relating to your character never having to worry about foodstuffs.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 01:26:21 AM by JayTee »

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 26, 2012, 03:50:05 AM »
Caliburn (AKA The Lady of the Lakes Excalibur )  [-6]
It is what it is: A Sword of manifold power bound in iron and inscribed with fairy runes by the Lady of the Lake a Fairy/Elemental of tremendous power and a sponsor of knights. (it is not the same sword as Ammoracius the Sword that the First Merlin buried in a stone for the sake of proving Arthur was King.)  Weapons: 3

[-0] Unbreakable.
[+2] One Time Discount: Swords are noticeable
[-1] Marked By Power: It is more a symbol of Arthur's right to rule and the blessing of the Earth.
[-5] Radiant Light of Heaven
During the daylight you can use the sword of Justice to shine the divine light of Heaven upon a field, this counts as a weapon block with weapons on all 'evil' actions within 5 zones of the sword.
Cut-Steel [-1]: Caliburn is impossibly sharp and strong (+2 to weapons rating) when used to cleave another sword in two (manoeuvre) you can add Caliburn's weapon rating to the roll.
[-1] True Aim: When acting as a king or a knight.

Caliburn's Sheath [-8]
The Sheath of Caliburn it provides the protection of the earth to its owner who can not be harmed whilst he holds on to it. Caliburn's sheath was stolen from Arthur by his sister Morgan and has since past from owner to owner.
[+2] Obvious item of Power (Assuming the owner does not have both sword and sheath).
[-0] Unbreakable.
Physical Immunity [-8]
Catch of +0 [Power that Transcends the Lady of the Lake's or the Lady herself]. (Elder Dragons, Fae Queens, Mothers and Arch Angels etc).

Gáe Buide and Gáe Derg [-5]
It is what it is: A long spear and a short spear once wielded by the Gaelic Hero Diarmuid it is said wounds caused by these spears will never heal. Weapons 3
[+2] Obvious item of Power
[-6] Infinitesimally Slow Healing: Consequences caused by these spears heal as if they were three ranks more severe than they are. (minor to extreme). 
[-1] True Aim: When the Spears are wielded together.

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 04:20:10 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 12:19:13 PM »
From my group's latest session:

THE COVETOUS COMPASS
Description: A grimy, tarnished metal compass stained by centuries of use.
Effects: The Covetous Compass has no Refresh cost, as it can only be used once by any given person. To use the artifact, the wielder must spend a FP to invoke one of their Aspects. In essence, the Compass acts as a very specific, powerful implementation of invoking for effect. Because it requires a suitable Aspect, the Compass is limited to searching for things that are somehow important to the wielder. Upon activation, the Compass will point unerringly to the desired object, person, or place. It will point to its target until the wielder finds what they are looking for, at which point the Compass behaves like a normal compass. The Compass will always point to its current owner’s target, even if the Compass changes owners or is activated multiple times. If it is returned to a previous owner, it will point to that owner’s desire. If the wielder makes a truly impossible request, the GM should refund the FATE Point.

It’s a powerful item but it’s inherently limited, much like how Supernatural’s Colt originally only had 13 bullets. It's also not really an Item of Power, in the sense of something to add to your character. It's more of a "plot device with rules attached".

CUSTER’S CAVALRY SABER [-1]
Description: This 19th century cavalry sword is poorly kept, its blade pitted and stained as if the blood it has spilled has eaten into the metal.  It has killed innocent women and children, and the sword gives off a greasy, dark feeling to arcane senses.
Musts: None.
Skills Affected: Weapons.
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a Weapon:2* cavalry saber.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+2] One-Time Discount. It’s a sword. It’s only concealable if you’re into Civil War reenactment.
[-2] Army of One. Custer’s Saber grants a +1 to Weapons when the wielder is personally outnumbered in melee; that is, when more than 1 person attacks them in close combat in any given exchange. This bonus increases to +2 if three or more people are attacking the wielder, and increases to a maximum of +3 when four or more people engage the wielder.

Feel free to adjust the bonus tiers as you see fit, or change the conditions under which they apply. You may feel it appropriate for the saber to count enemies who are directly attacking the wielder, or expand the concept of “outnumbered” to include anyone who the wielder considers hostile in that scene. If you do, I highly recommend raising the number of enemies needed to increase the sword’s bonus.

*In my games, one-handed swords are Weapon:2. Change the Weapon value to whatever suits your game.

RUBY SLIPPERS [-1]
Description: These sparkly red slippers adjust their size to fit anyone and are comfortable during long walks.
Skills Affected: None
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. They’re slippers, just like Dorothy wore.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.
[+1] One-Time Discount. The slippers, while rather gaudy, aren’t an obvious weapon.
[-2] Worldwalker. The Ruby Slippers grant the Worldwalker power to the wearer.

This one’s pretty simple. Worldwalker can be pretty useful in the right campaign or in the right character’s hands, though, it’s just a matter of how embarrassing it is to go around in sparkly red slippers.

TRINITITE KNIFE [-2]
Description: A piece of greenish-hued desert glass, roughly fashioned into a short blade. Tape is wrapped around one end to make a workmanlike grip. It’s more a shiv than a knife, really. The glass is radioactive but is generally safe to handle.
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It’s a Weapon:1 shiv knapped from the glass from the Trinity atomic test site.
[+1] One-Time Discount. The Trinitite Knife is easy to conceal, even through metal detectors.
[-3] If You Encounter God, God Will Be Cut. The radioactive glass that forms the blade is imbued with some sort of power. It’s not explicitly magical, it’s not powered by faith, but it is extremely potent against inhuman victims. Spend a FP and for the rest of the scene, the Knife ignores the target’s supernatural defensive abilities and powers (generally acting as the Catch for Toughness and Recovery powers). Mundane armor applies normally.

Upgrades:
[-1] It’s The Only Way to be Sure. The Knife no longer requires a FP to be spent in order to activate “If You Encounter God, God Will Be Cut”.

In my campaign, I’m toying with the idea of radioactivity having an effect on magic similar to what magic does to technology. The atom bomb is a significant thing, and to me nukes have always been the purview of humanity in genre fiction. Even the unfortunately-canceled HBO series Carnivale attributed great importance to the atomic bomb (if you read up on what they planned for future seasons), Trinity in particular.

Also, I love the Colt from Supernatural and I wanted something that could fill that role without being a complete ripoff.

Offline admiralducksauce

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 12:29:33 PM »
[-6] Infinitesimally Slow Healing: Consequences caused by these spears heal as if they were three ranks more severe than they are. (minor to extreme). 

So what happens if you take a moderate consequence from this? Do they all just take 3 sessions to recover? If so, it could be written as "all consequences inflicted by these weapons are treated as Extreme for the purposes of recovery".

I don't like this so much, but it's not a points-balance issue. The fact is, NPC consequences don't matter that much. You stick a bad guy for a severe consequence and nobody cares how long it takes for them to heal. But if a PC has a mild consequence that's going to stick around for session after session, that's a pain in the ass. I think it would negatively impact enjoyment of the game. Which feels strange to say, because if it was just a ridiculous Weapon value you'd almost get the same thing but it wouldn't bother me as much.  Maybe this power hits my "cheatery" buttons.

I'd be a little more amenable to it treating all inflicted consequences as Severe for recovery, but only just. Maybe with an extra rider that states the spears count as the Catch for all Recovery powers.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
  • Not all those who wander are lost
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2012, 12:02:40 AM »
Alright, one more go...

SWORD OF TRUTH[-4]
Description: A longsword with a straight, double-edged blade, a forward-curved cross-guard, and the word "TRUTH" in raised silver on the grip.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your position as the Seeker of Truth, appointed by the Senior Council.
Aspects:
Master Your Anger Every time the sword is used to kill, the wielder will endure a mental attack equal to 4 shifts, feeling the pain of their target as they die. If the kill is made in anger, the wielder may roll Discipline or Empathy to defend. If the insulating power of anger is not present, the wielder rolls from 0. Any mental consequences incurred have to reflect the sword's power overpowering the wielder. The first time the sword is used to kill, the mental attack is at 6 shifts, and if the defense fails, change one of your permanent aspects to reflect that you failed to control the rage fueling the Sword's power.
Perception Is Key The wielder will not be able to do any stress to someone he does not truly consider an enemy.
Skills Affected: Discipline, Empathy, Weapons, social skills.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. This sword is the weapon of the Seeker of Truth, whose purpose is to serve as an arbitrator of truth, uncoverer of deceit, and, when need be, executioner of those who spread lies and destruction.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It is a permanently-sharp longsword, treated as Weapon:3 in normal circumstances.
[+2] One-Time Discount. This item is not easy to hide.
[-1] I Am The Weapon If the rightful wielder should ever be separated from the sword, they can "feel" its location instinctively. You may use your Lore skill at +1 to locate the sword.
[-3] My Enemies Cannot Stop Me Treat the sword as Weapon:6, and ignore armor ratings, but only when swung with intent to kill. Any Taken Out result from such an attack must be fatal, and will initiate a Compel of Master Your Anger.
[-1] The Sword Is My Shield As a blade imbued with powerful magics, you may use the Weapons skill to defend against any physical attack.
[-1] The Bringer Of Death The Sword of Truth's power is such that those in the Supernatural world who recognize it will tread a little lightly, lest they find themselves on the wrong end of the blade. All social skills are rolled at +1.

Optional Additions
[-1] The Dance With Death Those who can master the sword may be able to unlock its secrets. By taking part in the Dance With Death, the wielder gains access to the skill of all its previous wielders, granting a +2 bonus to defense rolls against physical attacks.
Aspect:
The Power Of Love Only a True Seeker can truly master the sword's unrelenting anger and turn the blade white by using their love and forgiveness to fuel the blade, rather than anger--most often because they have had to kill one they loved. This change may only occur after a Major Milestone or whichever climax the GM agrees is appropriate. The wielder must change an aspect to reflect that this change has taken place, and from then on does not have to suffer the mental conflict that comes with killing. This replaces Perception Is Key, and the wielder may choose to ignore the restriction of that aspect.

And a new one...
AMULET OF THE PHOENIX [-2]
Description: An amulet of bright orange, yellow, and red in the shape of a bird taking flight, with a ruby set in the center.
Musts: You must have an aspect justifying your possession of the item, such as EMISSARY OF THE PHOENIX, or THROUGH FIRE I LIVE AGAIN.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. The amulet is given to those who have gained the favor of the Phoenix, and protects them from death.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It is a fashionable amulet, worn around the neck.
[+1] One-Time Discount. As a small item, it can be hidden, but is clearly special to those who see it.
[+1] Through Flames Reborn (based on Human Form): The healing abilities of the amulet will only activate when the bearer is bathed in natural flame. Direct magical flames will not trigger the effects (though a fire set through magic may), and the amount of fire needed scales with the severity of the consequence: a Mild Consequence may require little more than sticking your hand into a fireplace, while a Severe Consequence, requires total immersion for a significant duration of time. Recovering from death, total immolation.
[-4] Really Amazingly Fast Recovery: You may recover from all physical consequences before the beginning of the next scene after proper treatment (sustained flame) is applied.

Edit: Had to fix some of my math on the Sword of Truth.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2012, 03:17:15 AM by Mr. Death »
Compels solve everything!

http://blur.by/1KgqJg6 My first book: "Brothers of the Curled Isles"

Quote from: Cozarkian
Not every word JB rights is a conspiracy. Sometimes, he's just telling a story.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC_T_mld7Acnm-0FVUiaKDPA The C-Team Podcast

Offline Harboe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 08:46:01 PM »
Pocketwatch of Fate [-1]
[-0] Purpose. This watch is a tool of the Fates, beings who've been known by such names as Norns, Moirai, Parcace amongst others, which they use to instruct their mortal agents on what needs to be done to protect the integrity of the Grand Design.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It is a golden pocketwatch on a chain. It never loses time or needs winding.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except at the bidding of the Fates themselves.
[+1] One-Time Discount. A pocketwatch is easy to hide.
[+0] Cassandra's Tears. While the watch occasionally gives actual visions, more commonly its user opens it to find a folded note inside it with a cryptic message on it written in the readers native tongue.
[-1] Guide My Hand. By trusting the Fates to deliver you to your proper destination, you succeed by "luck" rather than skill.
[-1] Marked By Power. The item marks the bearer as an agent of the Fates and those who recognize it will treat the bearer with the respect befitting for such an agent.
[+0] Wizard's Constitution. While bearing the watch, the bearer does not age and may recover from any physical injury with no other excuse than time, as his body knits back together. Of course, Extreme Consequences, even once the physical injury is healed remain traumatic events that may haunt the person for years after.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 06, 2012, 07:20:26 PM »
The Babylonian Grimoire [-6]
It is what is is: A massive tome (big old book) created by antediluvian sorcery, it has within its pages hundreds of powers and abilities stolen from their owners by dark magic.
+2 Obvious Item of Power
[-8] Modular Abilities (6 modular abilities points) 
Powers can be gained by reading the book and after use stored until they are needed again. The book cannot grant more than 6 refresh worth of powers at any one time.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2012, 04:20:05 AM »
I like that one.

Sorry that the list update is taking so long, everyone. I'm going to try and get it done by Sunday.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2012, 06:12:15 PM »
I like that one.

Sorry that the list update is taking so long, everyone. I'm going to try and get it done by Sunday.
Don't sweat it, man. We all know we all have other stuff to do.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2012, 04:02:24 AM »
Had to take some artistic liberties with the compilation. If you don't like what I did to your item or someone else's, please say so and I'll see what I can do.

KUSANAGI [-1]
Description: A magical sword that controls the air. It gained its name from the warrior Yamato Takeru, who was ambushed in a field of grass that was set ablaze. When he swung the blade, he found that it allowed him to control the direction the wind blew with each swing. Using this power, he was able to send the fire back at his ambusher, and gave the sword the name "Kusanagi-no-Tsurugi", or "The Grass Cutting Sword".
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your possession of this item.
Note: In Dresdenverse canon, Kusanagi is almost certainly a Sword Of The Cross. This is not that Kusanagi.
Skills Affected: Weapons, Conviction, Lore
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. Kusanagi is an excellent katana. Weapon 3.
[+2] One-Time Discount. Kusanagi is a full-sized katana and therefore quite noticeable.
[-2] Channelling (Air). Kusanagi controls the winds.
[-1] Invisible Edge. The wielder of Kusanagi may use Weapons in place of Discipline to control spells cast with its Channelling power.

POCKETWATCH OF FATE [-1]
Description: The Fates, beings who've been known by such names as Norns, Moirai, and Parcace amongst others, created this watch in order to instruct their mortal agents about what must be done to protect the integrity of their Grand Design.
Skills Affected: Endurance, Conviction, social skills
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. This watch is a tool of the Fates, and functions only in accordance with their Grand Design.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It is a golden pocketwatch on a chain. It never loses time or needs winding.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except at the bidding of the Fates themselves.
[+1] One-Time Discount. A pocketwatch is easy to hide.
[+0] Cassandra's Tears. While the watch occasionally gives actual visions, more commonly its user opens it to find a folded note inside it with a cryptic message on it written in the reader's native tongue.
[-1] Guide My Hand. By trusting the Fates to deliver you to your proper destination, you succeed by "luck" rather than by skill.
[-1] Marked By Power. The item marks the bearer as an agent of the Fates and those who recognize it will treat the bearer with the respect befitting such an agent.
[+0] Wizard's Constitution. The bearer of this watch does not age and may recover from any physical injury with no other excuse than time, as their body knits back together. Of course, even once the physical injury is healed, really bad wounds remain traumatic events that may haunt a person for years after.

RUBY SLIPPERS [-1]
Description: These sparkly red slippers adjust their size to fit anyone and are comfortable during long walks. Dorothy wore slippers much like these ones during The Wizard Of Oz.
Skills Affected: Lore, Investigation, Survival
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. They’re slippers, just like Dorothy wore.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, these slippers cannot be broken except with a magical ritual that opposes their nature.
[+1] One-Time Discount. The slippers, while rather gaudy, aren’t an obvious weapon. And you could hide them in a small bag without much trouble.
[-2] Worldwalker. The Ruby Slippers allow their user to travel between worlds. Saying “there's no place like home” when moving from the Nevernever to Earth is traditional, but not necessary.

THE BABYLONIAN TOME [-6]
Description: In ancient Babylon, there was once a dark sorcerer who stole the powers of others and trapped those powers in a book with his antediluvian wizardry. This is that book.
Skills Affected: Many
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a book. Very large, very old.
[+2] One-Time Discount. The Babylonian Tome is huge and won't fit into a normal bookbag. It's quite difficult to hide.
[-8] Modular Abilities. By reading The Babylonian Tome, one can access the powers contained within. Players and GMs should work together to determine what powers the book contains. No more than 6 Refresh worth of contained powers may be accessed at any given time.

BONNEY'S BANE [-2]
Description: The bullet that killed Billy the Kid. Nobody is exactly sure why, but it has magic powers.
Skills Affected: Endurance, other physical skills
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a bullet recovered from a corpse, just a misshapen lump of lead.
[+1] One-Time Discount. Bonney's Bane is a tiny item and is easily concealed on one's person.
[-8] Physical Immunity: Those who hold Bonney's Bane are immune to gunfire unless ambushed.
[+5] The Catch: But if its holder is ambushed or attacked with something other than a gun, it's just a lump of lead.
Upgrades:
[-3] You Ever Shoot a Man in the Back? With this upgrade, Bonney's Bane protects against all non-ambush attacks. Not just from gunfire.

VIDAR'S SHOES [-0]
Description: The shoes of the god Vidar are unparalleled. No footwear could possibly match them.
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. They are shoes. The best shoes.
[+0] One-Time Discount. Vidar's Shoes provide no discount because they don't cost anything.

EXCALIBUR [-3]
Description: The legendary sword of King Arthur and the symbol of his divine right to rule.
Note: In Dresden Files canon, The Sword In The Stone is almost certainly a Sword Of The Cross. However, it is not entirely certain whether The Sword In The Stone was the same sword that Arthur received from The Lady Of The Lake. If it was not, then this is the sword that The Lady gave Arthur.
Skills Affected:
Effects:
[-0] Purpose: Excalibur exists to make its bearer into a great king. It will not function for a character who acts unkingly.
[-1] It Is What It Is. It's a weapon 5 longsword of extremely high quality. It's sharp enough to cut steel.
[+2] One-Time Discount.
[-1] Marked By Power. Excalibur is a symbol of the divine right to rule.
[-1] Mantle Of The King. Excalibur can be used to make maneuvers and blocks related to kingship, authority, and defence against evil with the Weapons skill.
[-1] True Aim. As long as the bearer of Excalibur acts in a manner befitting a King or a Knight, that bearer receives a +1 bonus to their Weapons skill.
[-1] Cut-Steel. Excalibur provides a +3 bonus to any Weapons maneuver that makes use of its extraordinary sharpness.

EXCALIBUR'S SCABBARD [-2]
Description: Excalibur is much more famous than its scabbard, but the scabbard is if anything more powerful. It provides the protection of the earth to its owner. It was stolen from Arthur long ago, and since then it has passed from owner to owner.
Skills Affected: Endurance, other physical skills
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a scabbard. It can be used to hold a sword the size and shape of Excalibur.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual that opposes its nature.
[+2] One-Time Discount. Scabbards are as large as the swords they hold and therefore quite difficult to hide.
[-2] Inhuman Recovery. Wounds given to those who wore Excalibur's Scabbard were said not to bleed.
[-2] Inhuman Toughness. Whoever owned the Scabbard was said to be protected against harm.
[+0] The Catch (The Lady Of The Lake). The power of Excalibur's Scabbard comes from The Lady Of The Lake, and against her it is useless. At the GM's discretion, other beings of similar power might also bypass the effects of the Scabbard.
Upgrades:
[-5] Physical Immunity. The exact limits of the protection provided by Excalibur's Scabbard are not known, and they might well be nearly infinite.

CUSTER’S CAVALRY SABER [-1]
Description: This 19th century cavalry sword is poorly kept, its blade pitted and stained as if the blood it has spilled has eaten into the metal.  It has killed innocent women and children, and the sword gives off a greasy, dark feeling to arcane senses.
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a cavalry saber. Despite its damaged appearance, it's significantly more deadly than your average one-handed saber. Weapon 3.
[+2] One-Time Discount. It's a sword. It's only concealable if you're into Civil War reenactment.
[-3] Army of One. Custer's Saber grants a +1 to Weapons when the wielder is personally outnumbered in melee; that is, when more than 1 person attacks them in close combat in any given exchange. This bonus increases to +2 if three or more people are attacking the wielder, and increases to a maximum of +3 when four or more people engage the wielder.

SOLOMON'S SEAL [-1]
Description: There was once a wise and holy king known as Solomon. He was aided in his rulership by a wondrous ring that he received as a gift from God. That ring allowed him to summon angelic advisers, making it easy for him to become a byword for wisdom.
Skills Affected: Lore, Conviction, Discipline
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. Solomon's Seal will not function if its bearer does not do the bidding of God with wisdom and compassion.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a ring. A pretty snazzy one.
[+1] One-Time Discount. Rings are small and easy to conceal.
[-2] Ritual (Divination). This ring allows its wearer to call forth angelic spirits as advisers or to answer questions. While the spirits will try to answer the questions as best they can, they are ultimately still unwilling or unable to affect the process of Mortal Free Will, and thus they may often only give cryptic hints.
Upgrades:
[-1] Holy Touch. As a gift from God, Solomon's Seal is obviously holy. Its touch is like that of a Knight Of The Cross.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 04:03:23 AM »

RETRIBUTION AND REPRISAL, THE TWIN BLADES OF JUST VENGEANCE [-1]
Description: Revenge is generally frowned upon by the righteous, but there are exceptions. These holy blades exist to carry out those exceptions.
Skills Affected: Weapons
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. The blades exist to carry out justified vengeance. If their bearer rejects this purpose, they will not function.
[-0] It Is What It Is. They are a pair of single edged machetes. When used together they are weapon 3. Angelic script can be seen faintly etched into the blades if the light and angle are just so.
[+2] One Time Discount.- They're a pair of 2 foot machetes. Not easy to hide.
[-2] Holy Blades. These are holy weapons; their touch is like that of holy water. In addition to satisfying catches of Holy, they inflict 3 additional stress to creatures that have such catches. Furthermore, their touch may justify compels upon the High Concepts of the unholy.
[-1] The Righteous are Kept by Him-  The blades form an impenetrable barrier when held defensively, allowing the bearer to use his Weapons skill for the defence trapping of the Athletics skill.

SWORD OF TRUTH[-4]
Description: A longsword with a straight, double-edged blade, a forward-curved cross-guard, and the word "TRUTH" in raised silver on the grip. The magical weapon of the Seeker Of Truth.
Musts: You must have an aspect related to your position as the Seeker of Truth, appointed by the Senior Council.
Aspects:
Master Your Anger Killing with The Sword Of Truth incurs psychological stress. Its wielders often suffer mental attacks or forced aspect changes after using it to kill.
Perception Is Key The Sword Of Truth will not harm anyone that the wielder does not truly consider an enemy.
Skills Affected: Discipline, Empathy, Weapons, social skills.
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. This sword is the weapon of the Seeker of Truth, whose purpose is to serve as an arbitrator of truth, uncoverer of deceit, and, when need be, executioner of those who spread lies and destruction.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It is a permanently-sharp longsword, treated as weapon 3 in normal circumstances.
[+2] One-Time Discount. This item is not easy to hide.
[-1] I Am The Weapon If the rightful wielder should ever be separated from the sword, they can "feel" its location instinctively. You may use your Lore skill at +1 to locate the sword.
[-3] My Enemies Cannot Stop Me Treat the sword as weapon 6, and ignore armor ratings when swinging it with intent to kill. Any Taken Out result from such an attack must be fatal.
[-1] The Sword Is My Shield As the wielder of a blade imbued with powerful magics, you may use the Weapons skill to defend against any physical attack.
[-1] The Bringer Of Death The Sword of Truth's power is such that those in the Supernatural world who recognize it will tread a little lightly, lest they find themselves on the wrong end of the blade. All social skills are rolled at +1 against those who recognize The Sword Of Truth.
Upgrades:
[-1] The Dance With Death Those who can master the sword may be able to unlock its secrets. By taking part in the Dance With Death, the wielder of the sword gains access to the skill of all of the sword's previous wielders. This provides a +2 bonus to Weapons defence rolls.
[-0] The Power Of Love Only a True Seeker can truly master the sword's unrelenting anger and turn the blade white by using their love and forgiveness to fuel the blade, rather than anger--most often because they have had to kill one they loved. This change may only occur after a Major Milestone or whichever climax the GM agrees is appropriate. The wielder must change an aspect to reflect that this change has taken place, and from then on does not have to suffer the mental conflict that comes with killing. This replaces the Perception Is Key aspect with the The Power Of Love aspect.

AMULET OF THE PHOENIX [-2]
Description: An amulet of bright orange, yellow, and red in the shape of a bird taking flight, with a ruby set in the centre. It contains some of the power of the Phoenix.
Musts: You must have an aspect justifying your possession of the item, such as EMISSARY OF THE PHOENIX, or THROUGH FIRE I LIVE AGAIN.
Skills Affected: Endurance
Effects:
[-0] Purpose. The amulet is given to those who have gained the favor of the Phoenix, and protects them from death.
[-0] It Is What It Is. It is a fashionable amulet, worn around the neck.
[+1] One-Time Discount. As a small item, the amulet can be hidden. However, it is clearly special to those who see it.
[+1] Through Flames Reborn (based on Human Form): The healing abilities of the amulet will only activate when the bearer is bathed in natural flame. Direct magical flames will not trigger the effects (though a fire set through magic may), and the amount of fire needed scales with the severity of the consequence: a Mild Consequence may require little more than sticking your hand into a fireplace, while a Severe Consequence might require total immersion for a significant duration of time. Recovering from death will almost certainly require total immolation.
[-4] Really Amazingly Fast Recovery: You may recover from all physical consequences before the beginning of the next scene after proper treatment (sustained flame) is applied.

TRINITITE KNIFE [-2]
Description: A piece of greenish-hued desert glass, roughly fashioned into a short blade. Tape is wrapped around one end to make a workmanlike grip. It’s more a shiv than a knife, really. The glass is radioactive but is generally safe to handle.
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It’s a weapon 1 shiv made out of the glass from the Trinity atomic test site.
[-0] Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, this item cannot be broken except with a magical ritual that opposes its nature.
[+1] One-Time Discount. The Trinitite Knife is easy to conceal, even through metal detectors.
[-4] If You Encounter God, God Will Be Cut. The radioactive glass that forms the blade is imbued with some sort of power. It’s not explicitly magical, it’s not powered by faith, but it is extremely potent against inhuman victims. The Knife ignores all supernatural defensive abilities and powers (generally acting as the Catch for Toughness and Recovery powers). Mundane armor applies normally.

THE BOOK OF THOTH [-2]
Description: According to ancient Eqyptian myth, the god Thoth once wrote a book of spells. Thoth hid the book within a series of locked boxes at a bottom of the Nile with serpents to guard it. But a prince called Neferkaptah stole it, and when Neferkaptah died it was buried with him.
Skills Affected: Lore, Discipline, Conviction
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. It's a book, and it's pretty old. Be careful with it.
[-0] Unbreakable. Or not. Nothing short of a specialized magical ritual can destroy it.
[+1] One Time Discount. It's a book, not hard to hide.
[-3] Thaumaturgy. The Book Of Thoth is said to contain knowledge of a vast array of spells and enchantments.

GáE BUIDE AND GáE DERG [-5]
Description: The Gaelic hero Diamuid carried two spears, one long and one short. According to legend, wounds inflicted by his spears do not heal. Ever.
Skills Affected: Weapons
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. They're a pair of spears, one long and one short. Both are weapon 3.
[+2] One-Time Discount. There's no practical way to hide a long spear, and a short one is pretty visible too.
[-1] True Aim. The superlative quality of these spears adds one to to their wielder's Weapons skill while he uses the two of them together.
[-6] Infinitesimally Slow Healing. Increase the level of any consequences inflicted by these spears by three levels when checking to see how long they will take to heal. If this increases a consequence to the Extreme level or above after Recovery powers are included, the consequence may only be healed after the next major milestone and even then only if a special justification is provided.

THE TABLET OF DESTINIES [-5]
Description: According to Mesopotamian mythology, rulership of the universe went to the holder of a specific legal document. Like other Mesopotamian legal documents, this one was a clay tablet inscribed with cuniform writing and cylinder seals. Unlike other Mesopotamian legal documents, this one allowed its holder to alter the laws of physics.
Skills Affected:
Effects:
[-0] It Is What It Is. A large clay tablet inscribed with cuniform writing and cylinder seals.
[+2] One-Time Discount. It's a large clay tablet. Quite conspicuous, in this day and age.
[-7] Reality Warper. You can always alter reality as if you were in your personal Demesne, though with slightly reduced effectiveness. This allows you to make declarations, maneuvers, and blocks related to the nature of reality with your Discipline skill. The duration of the changes created by this power is variable, but it's generally at least one scene.
Furthermore, you may use the world around you as a weapon. This allows you to make weapon 4 attacks with your Discipline skill against anything within your line of sight. You may make spray attacks with this power. You may also attack entire zones with this power at no penalty. When attacking a zone with this power, you may take an accuracy penalty (before rolling) in order to extend the duration of the attack. For each point of accuracy sacrificed this way, the attack is reapplied at the beginning of another exchange. You may take actions to extend this effect as though you were an evoker extending an evocation.
In addition, you may use this power to grapple targets within your line of sight. Use the normal grappling rules to do so but substitute your Discipline skill for your Might skill when grappling someone this way.
Finally, you may use your Discipline skill to defend against physical attacks.

PS: My clock says that it's midnight. I just barely made my deadline.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2012, 04:12:36 AM »
I meant to say this earlier, but...

Thanks for contributing, everyone.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 14, 2012, 11:35:42 PM »
Nobody has anything to say?

Kinda flattering, I guess. But a bit lonely.

Offline JayTee

• Posty McPostington
  • Reality is only as boring as you make it
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 15, 2012, 07:14:55 AM »
To be fair, you are quite good at this  :P

Anyway, here is another IoP, a custom one this time rather than a mythological one. (Also if it'll help with space, feel free to remove Vidar's Shoes.)

MYTHBANE [-5]
Musts: You must be either be a Pure or an empowered Mortal (Wizard, True Believer, etc). Half humans or Inhuman characters cannot use Mythbane.
Skills Affected: Fists, Others.
Effects:
[-0] It is what it is. A ring, the kind you wear on your finger.
[-0] Unbreakable. The ring cannot be broken save through a dedicated magical ritual perverting it's purpose.
[+1] One Time Discount. Gloves and pockets, 'nuff said.
[-4] Ward against the Wired. Mythbane grants a subtle but potent protection to the wearer, granting them Armor: 2 against all forms of Supernatural Powers in all situations (Physical, Mental, Social). The ring does not protect against self-inflcited damage, such as Mental Stress from spellcasting.
[-2] Mythbreaker. The ring is violently incompatible with Inhuman entities, inflicting 1 point of physical stress every time it makes contact with them (such as a Fists attack). Mythbane is so toxic to Inhumans that simply having it in their possession will qualify as making contact.

I'm not sure about the pricing for it, for the Ward effect I simply took Supernatural Toughness and converted the extra stress boxes in to the ability to be used in (almost) all situations. Likewise, Mythbreaker is an odd hybrid of Venomous Claws and Holy Touch.

The backstory for Mythbane is that it was originally little more than a 'lucky charm' with no powers of it's own. However it had an odd habit of being used by Wizards, True Believers or regular old Mortals who regularly stood against the dark forces of the world. Eventually after being used as such so many times, the belief surrounding it took on a life and power of it's own.

Offline Mr. Death

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
    • The C-Team Podcast
« Reply #44 on: March 15, 2012, 02:58:03 PM »
Nobody has anything to say?

Kinda flattering, I guess. But a bit lonely.
As with the others, I tend to only speak up when I've a problem with something, and I'm well satisfied with the shape of the items as they're written up. In fact, I've got another one..

BLOODIED CLOAK OF DEAD WARDENS[-1]
Musts: No musts, strictly speaking, but you're probably pretty damn evil if you've got this.
Skills Affected: Endurance
Effects:
[-0] It is what it is. A cloak made of Wardens' grey cloaks, woven together and soaked through with their blood.
[-0] Unbreakable. The cloak cannot be broken save through a dedicated magical ritual perverting it's purpose.
[+2] One Time Discount. It's a cloak covered, and still wet, with blood. People are going to notice.
[-8] Physical Immunity. The Bloodied Cloak offers complete and total protection from the swords of the Wardens of the White Council, including their counterspell and supernatural sharpness.
[+5] The Catch. Anything other than a Warden's blade will not be affected by the cloak's protection. Also, it must be kept wet with the blood, or the protection will vanish.