Author Topic: Item Of Power Master List  (Read 62884 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Item Of Power Master List
« Reply #180 on: January 30, 2013, 10:40:40 PM »
Can't say what cost I think would be fair without seeing a proper writeup. What you've said so far leaves too much open to interpretation.

It'll probably still be hard to cost even with a rigorous write-up, though, because of the way that effect scales. Depending on the game, the power of that Power might vary greatly.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
  • Actually just a jar full of bees attached to a CPU
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: March 03, 2013, 12:15:21 AM »
My first IoP. Made after reading the Bartimaeus prequel "The Ring of Solomon". It's inarguably overpowered, especially depending on which set of summoning rules you're using.

THE RING OF SOLOMON
Description: A simple ring of gold, inlaid with one band of obsidian.
Musts: A high concept related to the possession of the Seal. Some way of summoning and binding supernatural creatures, whether via full Thaumaturgy, Sponsored Magic, or Ritual:Summoning.
Skills Affected: Discipline, Conviction, Presence, Intimidation

INDESTRUCTIBLE: To the annoyance of many a demon.
THE SUMMONS OF SOLOMON: [-1]  The ring's main power is to grant the ability to use diabolism at Evocation's speed and methods.
THE TERROR OF SOLOMON: [-1] Demons are mortally terrified of the Ring and it's wielder. Gain a +4 on Intimidation and Presence when using them on a demonic entity.
THE POWER OF SOLOMON [-5]: This is why the Ring is so coveted by every wizard and sorcerer in the world. Gain an automatic +10 to Control and Complexity when using the Ring to summon and bind demons. Also applies to the Evothaum, with Control and Complexity replaced with Control and Power.
THE CURSE OF SOLOMON [+2]: And this is why nobody is much willing to wear it. Actually using the Power of Solomon requires taking a mild consequence and 1 additional stress than would be normally gained from spellcasting. Even touching the ring is a Superb attack against Endurance-actually wearing the ring automatically applies the Extreme consequence of UNIMAGINABLE PAIN, which is only removed when the Ring is removed. The Ring also cancels out the Wizard's Constitution ability.
Hi! My home is called an apiary! I collect honey, and defend the Queen!

Not-so-secretly a power hungry megalomaniac with a Modular Abilities addiction.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: March 03, 2013, 03:27:05 AM »
Eh. If you want to make an overpowered item, give it a silly Refresh cost. Don't give it overpowered Powers.

The Terror Of Solomon is like 4 Stunts with full stacking. That's way too good for 1 Refresh.

The Power Of Solomon is like 10 Refinements. Since it costs 5 it should be more like 5 Refinements. Which, conveniently, brings it within the focus cap for a Lore 5 character.

Not sure whether the drawback is balanced.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: March 03, 2013, 03:33:49 AM »
I thought the Terror to be sufficiently narrow to only cost one, maybe two, as it only governs demons. Would increasing it to two be reasonable?

The Power is meant to represent the Ring as a perfect focus item, and 10 focus item slots costs 5 refinements. I'm aware that it ignores both the pyramid and the focus limit. Would it be reasonable to up the cost to reflect this.

The drawback is supposed to be a really terrible drawback. Rereading that, it should probably have a thing like Addictive Saliva where there's at least one compel on it per scene where you don't get a FP, or it can be tagged for free.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: March 03, 2013, 03:53:49 AM »
The Power is meant to represent the Ring as a perfect focus item, and 10 focus item slots costs 5 refinements. I'm aware that it ignores both the pyramid and the focus limit. Would it be reasonable to up the cost to reflect this
I think because you have control and complexity you unintentionally doubled the focus item cost.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: March 03, 2013, 03:57:39 AM »
You multiply the bonus total and the element total, not the bonus total and the specialization total. a Fire evocation foci granting +2 to control and power only costs 4 slots, but adding Earth to that would cost 8.

Offline Lavecki121

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: March 03, 2013, 04:14:52 AM »
Right and you were giving +10 to control and complexity which would cost 20 focus item slots and as such 10 refinements

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: March 03, 2013, 04:16:18 AM »
So i've apparently gone spiraling off into the mountains of madness, because that just hit me. Wow.

I'll change that presently.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: March 03, 2013, 08:07:36 AM »
I thought the Terror to be sufficiently narrow to only cost one, maybe two, as it only governs demons. Would increasing it to two be reasonable?

I'd make it cost 3, personally. But I might be playing it too safe.

The drawback is supposed to be a really terrible drawback. Rereading that, it should probably have a thing like Addictive Saliva where there's at least one compel on it per scene where you don't get a FP, or it can be tagged for free.

Hm, okay. No idea what a fair cost would be.

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: March 03, 2013, 04:29:52 PM »
I would say that lowering the bonus to +2, maybe a +3, would be sufficient. A [-2] cost would also work, though.

Ignoring focus and pyramid limits, IMO, should have a scaling cost, say... equivalent to the usual cost. So maybe a [-2] cost for every +1 to control, power and complexity.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: March 04, 2013, 03:58:03 AM »
I would say that lowering the bonus to +2, maybe a +3, would be sufficient.

If you let people do stuff like that, then why should they ever buy Stunts?

Offline Locnil

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: March 04, 2013, 05:00:19 PM »
If you let people do stuff like that, then why should they ever buy Stunts?

I balance powers against powers, and stunts against stunts.

Edit: Though on reflection, I've always been against supernatural powers that boosted social capabilities, so I can certainly see an argument for just making it a pair of stunts.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2013, 05:07:37 PM by Locnil »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: March 04, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »
You can't just balance things in silos like that. You have to keep Stunts and even Skills in mind when balancing Powers, because otherwise you can accidentally introduce traps to the system.

It's all interconnected, you know? Can't just change one thing without considering everything.

Offline Hick Jr

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: March 07, 2013, 04:46:56 AM »
Well, I'll write the Ring of Solomon off as a plot device.

Hmm. I'd at least consider doing one of the Dark Icons of the Conqueror's Shadow, by Ari Marmell. Is anyone else familiar?

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: March 07, 2013, 10:29:21 PM »
I'm not familiar, I'm afraid.