Author Topic: Nukes  (Read 7871 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Nukes
« Reply #45 on: June 20, 2011, 08:36:31 PM »
Wait, what does sunrise kill?

Anyway, the noose seems like it ought to make it through the nuke, given the use of the words "up to and including a nuclear strike" in Nicodemus's writeup.

I wonder if the radiation affects the cleansing-ness of the fire from a nuke.

Anyway, the rules being used for nukes here could also be used for normal bombs. Am I right in assuming that nobody objects to the mechanics so much as the idea that a nuke has them?

Personally, I think that the nuke should have greater effect at point-blank range. Otherwise, this all looks good to me.

PS: Glad to hear that you like the challenges in EtA, Belial. Which ones were you thinking of as especially good?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: June 20, 2011, 08:46:17 PM »
Anyway, the rules being used for nukes here could also be used for normal bombs. Am I right in assuming that nobody objects to the mechanics so much as the idea that a nuke has them?

That is pretty much it, at least for me. "Nuke" in the last part of this thread not only refers to the specific object, but to anything of its scale.

Changes spoilers:
(click to show/hide)
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: June 20, 2011, 08:47:22 PM »
Interesting enough I would argue that mordite might be able to kill nicodemous but I don't think a nuke would because mordite is a conceptual weapon (aka plot device) and a nuke when you get down to it is just a really really really (20 or so more reallies) big explosion. I am ignoring radiation because this is a debate about people with mythic toughness or PI surviving a nuke none of them have to worry about radiation.  
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 20, 2011, 08:49:41 PM »
Honestly a nuke is like throwing something into the sun. If the fire of the sun isnt enough to kill things, but sunrise is, then something is wrong.
Not really. Sufficiently tough buildings can survive a nuke. They might be very damaged but still standing. If you throw a building, mountain or even planet into the sun, you aren't seeing it again.

And that's my point that nukes aren't plot-device level poweful. Buildings, while quite tough, have a finite amount of toughness. Thus, since they can survive a nuclear strike, a nuclear strike isn't plot-device strong.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: June 20, 2011, 08:54:43 PM »
Begging the question, W&M.

@Belial
Just because something is survivable does not mean that it is not a plot device.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 21, 2011, 06:44:50 PM »
Which raises the question of what exactly a plot device is. Because when you get right down to it, everything is a device used to advance the plot.

I usually use the term to refer to something without stats.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #51 on: June 21, 2011, 06:55:13 PM »
I usually use the term to refer to something without stats.

As would I. Having inadvertently killed a party because I gave monster stats to a puzzle with teeth, I am eager to avoid such misunderstandings in future.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline polkaneverdies

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 21, 2011, 09:40:18 PM »
SOcial "No one wants to be my friend because I glow in the dark and make people sterile."

I didn't want it to go unremarked that was hilarious.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: June 23, 2011, 02:48:24 AM »
@devonapple: Fortunately, you now play DFRPG and so you don't have to worry about such things anymore.

@polka: That actually raises an interesting question. Can you use a social consequence to absorb physical stress?

Offline Blackblade

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 23, 2011, 05:03:50 AM »
As would I. Having inadvertently killed a party because I gave monster stats to a puzzle with teeth, I am eager to avoid such misunderstandings in future.

Sounds like there's an interesting story behind that.

Offline Todjaeger

• Conversationalist
  • Dresden Files Alpha Burn Playtester
    • View Profile
    • Butchered New Haven campaign site
« Reply #55 on: June 23, 2011, 06:42:09 AM »
@polka: That actually raises an interesting question. Can you use a social consequence to absorb physical stress?

Actually, that doesn't sound so much like a Social consequence as an Extreme consequence with permanent Aspect change.

And with the way I GM, that would also be a Fate point generator...  Trying to hide from on someone in a dark alleyway, forget it, the glow literally lights up your position.  Have a positive social interaction with someone, forget that as well, they're too distracted watching clumps of your hair fall out as you talk to them, and so on...

Kill the Child, Doom the World...  Or is it, Kill the Child, Save the World?

Dresden Files Purity test: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity.html

My results: http://knnn.x10.mx/purity2/purity-result.html?55:70:18:23:6:6:17:26:11:27:11:37:14:41:20:28:3:5:

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #56 on: June 23, 2011, 04:03:27 PM »
Sounds like there's an interesting story behind that.

Long story short: a trap used a custom-built Construct (with Hit Dice, damage, and an attack roll) as the mechanism of injury/death, as opposed to a simple attack roll and damage. It was well beyond what the party could have defeated at their level (though a sufficiently advanced group could have destroyed it, which is fine), so they were supposed to find a way to disable it without fighting. The problem looked like a nail, so they kept using their hammer. Except in reverse.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline zenten

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 23, 2011, 05:41:33 PM »
There's a limit to how much Fate points can help on a single roll.  Even if all 7 of your personal aspects apply, and you have three more aspects created through maneuvers or whatever, that's still only +20 to your roll.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 24, 2011, 03:22:30 AM »
You can always spend Fate Points for +1.

Also, declarations are handy.