Author Topic: Somebody check my brain.  (Read 2340 times)

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
Somebody check my brain.
« on: June 18, 2011, 12:15:54 AM »
A few weeks ago we were making a character for my roommate, and he made mention of a scene in the books where there was something about a van and a building catching on fire (where it wasn't Harry's fault for once). He couldn't recall the specifics, and I can't remember anything like that myself, and it's been bugging me ever since.  ???

If that sounds familiar to anyone, please tell me what book it was so I can review it.

Don't recap it here, we don't want to walk into spoilertown. Just a pointer will do, thanks.
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline aikidoka

• Posty McPostington
  • I suffer from a very sexy learning disability.
    • View Profile
Re: Somebody check my brain.
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2011, 12:24:48 AM »
Sounds like Grave Peril, when Harry confronted the Red Court brother sister vamps.
"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate." -25 star General Zapp Brannigan

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2011, 03:12:36 AM »
Sounds like Grave Peril, when Harry confronted the Red Court brother sister vamps.

That might be it. I'll have to look it up.

Only important because the character has an aspect tied up with it.
No, ma'am. We at the FBI do not have a sense of humor we're aware of. May we come in?

Offline Haru

• Posty McPostington
  • Mentally unstable like a fox.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 03:26:39 AM »
Somebody check my brain
hmm, I'm getting a 404 error...

Sorry, had to be done ;)

On the subject, I remember 2 scenes with vans, though I don't remember a building on fire. One is GP as mentioned above, the other one is PG in the garage. The building on fire without it being Harry's fault would be the beginning of BR, but there is no truck, just the blue beetle.
“Do you not know that a man is not dead while his name is still spoken?”
― Terry Pratchett, Going Postal

Offline sinker

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2011, 04:45:20 AM »
"The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault" was the first line in one of the novels. Whichever one that introduces mouse. Dunno about the van though.

Offline shadowlost

• Conversationalist
  • I'm the Dark God whose mind Shades came from...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2011, 05:30:56 AM »
"The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault" was the first line in one of the novels. Whichever one that introduces mouse. Dunno about the van though.

That's B.R.'s intro.

The garage in PG wasn't on fire I believe. Just has a van and some online selling.  ;D
Instead of a denarian. I got a copper piece. Now I'm host to the fallen one known as Cheapassius.

When I read DF Spoilers Thread. It's like Occam's Razor be damned. :D

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 02:08:38 AM »
That's B.R.'s intro.

The garage in PG wasn't on fire I believe. Just has a van and some online selling.  ;D

Yeah they player of the character pretty much has it in mind that the GP fire that Harry thought was his fault really wasn't. It was a clumsy attempt by the rookie wizard to help Harry.

The BR fire happened via flaming poo.

Offline aikidoka

• Posty McPostington
  • I suffer from a very sexy learning disability.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 04:36:40 AM »

Finally got my book back.  Here is the part:

Quote from: Grave Peril Ch. 16
I saw Kyle move out of the corner of my eye. I lifted the shield bracelet toward him, transferred my will to it, but in time only to partially deflect the broken chip of concrete that he threw at my head. It slammed against my temple and sent me spinning. I saw Kelly blur toward me, white cape flying, and I lifted the blasting rod toward her, shouting, " Fuego!"Fire slammed out the end of the rod, missing Kelly by at least a foot, but still hot enough to set the hem of her cloak ablaze. The flame slewed in an arch across the ceiling and down the wall as I started falling, cutting through wood and brick and stone like an enormous arc-welder.

Quote from: Grave Peril Ch. 16
...Then there was a roaring sound, and I dimly perceived the west wall of the building collapsing, falling away in great, flaming sections of wood and brick. The blast I had sent spewing at Kelly had sliced through the ceiling, walls, and support beams. It must have weakened the structure of the entire building as it had.Oops.

Lydia is in the van, taken to the building by the tennis twin vampires.  But it was Harry's fault.  Like was said above, flaming shen poop was the one he wasn't responsible for.  Sounds like your friend confused the two.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 04:38:57 AM by aikidoka »
"If we can hit that bullseye, the rest of the dominoes will fall like a house of cards.  Checkmate." -25 star General Zapp Brannigan

Offline Set Abominae

• Conversationalist
  • Give us a kiss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 04:51:07 PM »
Finally got my book back.  Here is the part:

Lydia is in the van, taken to the building by the tennis twin vampires.  But it was Harry's fault.  Like was said above, flaming shen poop was the one he wasn't responsible for.  Sounds like your friend confused the two.

Yeah he did. However, since there was the slightest window of ambiguity in the GP fire, for the sake of his character we're claiming it wasn't actually Harry's fault at all. Harry only thinks his spell caused the fire. Turns out his fanboy (the character) tried to help and botched it (then beat feet to keep from getting in trouble with Harry).

Offline TheMouse

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2011, 11:12:12 PM »
hmm, I'm getting a 404 error...

At least it's not a 410.

Myself, I have been known on occasion to return a 418.