Author Topic: Extraordinary NPC Thread  (Read 13645 times)

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
Re: Extraordinary NPC Thread
« Reply #15 on: June 04, 2011, 11:18:55 PM »
The Catch (unknown) [+0]
The Catch should be steamships.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 05, 2011, 01:57:54 AM »
@Belial: Reasonable interpretations, but should be more clear.

@Slife: Been a while since I read The Call Of Cthulhu, but I don't think that he took any Consequences from the boat's impact.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 05, 2011, 02:39:02 PM »
Superman (Kal-El)

High Concept: Last Son of Krypton
Trouble: Power Fluctuations
Other: Earth's Biggest Boyscout, Mild-Mannered Reporter, Man Of Steel, Shifting Public Image, Enemy Of Darkseid

Skills:
+7 Endurance, Might
+6 Fists, Weapons, Alertness
+5 Conviction, Discipline, Athletics
+4 Presence, Rapport, Investigation
+3 Empathy, Survival, Driving, Scholarship
other skills default to fair.

Powers/Stunts:
[-6] Mythic Strength
[-1] World-Mover - bonus to breaking and lifting as if he were a strength category higher (+20 total from strength)
[-1] Tactile Telekinesis - superman can lift huge objects without breaking them
[-2] Tremendous Blows - superman's fists are weapon 4.
[-1] Man of Steel - superman may use endurance for the dodge trapping.
[-1] Swing for the Fences
[-2] Breath Weapon - eyebeams and breath attacks. Weapon 2 (plus strength bonus as breath weapons use thrown weapon rules).
[-2] Increased Range - superman's breath weapon has a range of "line of sight"
[-2] Multiattack - superman can hit a whole zone without penalties. He must still use spray attack rules to discriminate between friend and foe.
       For every -2 penalty to his attack roll, he can hit an additional zone.
[-6] Mythic Toughness
[+3] The Catch: Kryptonite and True Magic (+2 for knowledge, +1 for availability)
[-8] Physical Immunity
[+1] Stacked catch: extra toughness. Superman has 8 more stress boxes and 4 more armor rather than true immunity. His base catch works on those normally.
[-4] Supernatural Speed
[-1] Flight
[-4] Superspeed 4x - by setting aside the normal bonuses of supernatural speed, Superman can move 8 zones and still act normally.
      When sprinting, he can keep up with the fastest objects in the medium he's in and still perform actions but he rolls actions at average.
[+0] Solar Powered - superman has a mild feeding dependency on sunlight; he can lose a maximum of 1 point of powers per scene.
       For every full scene he spends in broad sunlight, he gets a recovery period. Stronger than normal sunlight may have additional effects.
[-3] Senses - heat vision, x-ray vision, telescopic vision, parabolic hearing. Note that some of those are as powerful as 3-4 normal extra senses.
[-1] Listening
[-1] Discriminatory Senses - reduce time required to search a given area by 2 steps
« Last Edit: June 05, 2011, 02:45:25 PM by Belial666 »

Offline citadel97501

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 12:06:53 AM »
Shouldn't the Superman write up, have his Trouble be World of Cardboard instead of Power Fluctuations. 

"World Of Cardboard" Speech
"That man won't quit as long as he can still draw a breath. None of my teammates will. Me? I've got a different problem. I feel like I live in a world made of... cardboard, always taking constant care not to break something, to break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control even for a moment, or someone could die. But you can take it, can't you, big man? What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am."
— Superman, Justice League Unlimited

;D 8) 8) ;D

Offline Silverblaze

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 01:00:03 AM »
Shouldn't the Superman write up, have his Trouble be World of Cardboard instead of Power Fluctuations. 

"World Of Cardboard" Speech
"That man won't quit as long as he can still draw a breath. None of my teammates will. Me? I've got a different problem. I feel like I live in a world made of... cardboard, always taking constant care not to break something, to break someone. Never allowing myself to lose control even for a moment, or someone could die. But you can take it, can't you, big man? What we have here is a rare opportunity for me to cut loose and show you just how powerful I really am."
— Superman, Justice League Unlimited

;D 8) 8) ;D

Could also be "Not of This World....Superman is curently dealing with the fact that he never really fit in as a human, but feels compelled to protect them from everyone...including themselves and himself. In a sense it's quite tragic.

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 05:06:46 AM »
@Slife: Been a while since I read The Call Of Cthulhu, but I don't think that he took any Consequences from the boat's impact.
The main characters managed to escape while he was incapacitated.  I'd go far as to say he was Taken Out.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 07, 2011, 02:10:28 AM »
Eh.

You have a point, but it still seems silly to give an Outsider a catch like that. I'll just say that they conceded, or that Cthulhu let them go for some incomprehensible reason.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 03:15:05 AM »
Roadrunner

High Concept: Super Fast Bird
Trouble: Where am I going ?
Other: MI! MI!, Desert Blur, Trap Proof, Wiley Who?

Skills: 5: Athletics, Alertness
          4: Endurance, Deceit

Powers:
[-6] Mythic Speed

Stunts:
Trap Runner: You can avoid traps by running through them at incrediable speed (athletics to detect and circumvent traps)      

Does anyone think they can stat Imhotep from the Mummy, I have been trying but having severe troubles with the Seven Plagues power.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 04:36:19 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 07, 2011, 10:08:53 AM »
HECATONCHEIRES AVATAR

The Hecatncheires were the mightiest and most monstrous children of Gaia and Uranus. So horrifying in appearance that their own father imprisoned them in Tartarus when they were young, they were the physically strongest of all the gods and monsters of greek mythology that walked the Earth. In the Titanomachy, the three of them gave pause to all of the Titans and after they helped the gods beat them, were set as guardians of Tartarus. Any mortal being (and most immortals) facing a Hecatoncheires would be obliterated. Still Hecatoncheires, like other divine creatures, often send pieces of their power or aspects of themselves forth to interfere in far-off places. Here are the stats for a major but (theoretically) beatable portion of the full being;

High Concept: Old One Avatar Trouble: Divine Vehemence
Aspects: Mighty As The Mountains, Tall As A Great Tower, Many-Eyed Guardian,
Stress: Physical OOOOOOOOOOOOOO(OOOOOOOOOOOOOO) armor 7, Social OOOO, Mental -, Refresh and Fate: Deep One, 60/-22

Powers/Stunts:
[-3] Avatar - an avatar is a projection or aspect some cosmic being or concept. It is not truly alive and has no mind of its own. Similar to Living Dead,
       with the addition that an avatar is mindless; its creator must spend a supplemental action to guide it each exchange instead. Being spirit given form,
       any spiritual attacks apply to its physical stress track instead. Do note that it can be socially engaged as if it were its creator.
[-6] Unthinkable Size - battleship-sized. +5 to be hit, +10 stress boxes, +8 breaking/lifting, +6 intimidate/movement, can be seen from miles away
[-3] Titanic Reach - A hecatoncheires has a melee reach of 3 zones and a thrown weapon reach of "line of sight"
[-6] Mythic Strength
[-2] Titan's Might - even stronger than most mythic creatures, getting +1 to all Might rolls and +2 stress for muscle-powered weapons.
[-2] Godsmite - Hecatoncheires avatars are semi-divine creatures. Their personal, direct attacks can potentially harm anything, treating
      broad physical immunities as extra toughness instead. Specific or natural immunities still apply.
[-6] Mythic Toughness (catch is unknown)
[-7] Physical Immunity: Extra Toughness - 4 extra levels of toughness rather than full immunity
[-1] Unstoppable - Hecatoncheires may use endurance for the dodge trapping.
[-3] Injury Tolerance: Homogenous - being made of stone and earth and having redundant everything a hundred times over,
       Hecatoncheires are immune to precision damage; no bonus stress from extra shifts in attacks.
[-4] Injury Tolerance: Divine - Hecatoncheires are immune to non-supernatural attacks and hazards.
[-8] One Hundred Hands - Hecatoncheires have enough limbs and enough control to attack three entire zones at once without penalties.
       They have enough skill and coordination to hit the same spot or target with two weapons or limbs at once (as off-hand weapon training)
       and get +1 to all rolls for muscle-powered weapons or fists. For every -2 to weapon rolls, they can hit an additional zone.
[-1] Swing For The Fences
[-1] Rapid "Reload" - having a hundred hands and excellent coordination, Hecatoncheires can reload ammunition for throwing really fast.
      Keep in mind that for size and strength, boulders, cars, trains, houses and small ships are ammunition-size and weight for it.
[-4] One Hundred Eyes - Hecatoncheires have a hundred times the sensory organs of a human and exceptional coordination.
       +2 bonus to all perception rolls and the Hecatoncheires can perform perception-based maneuvers as supplemental actions
[-3] Senses - Hecatoncheires can see through perception blocks, similar to The Sight but without backlash. They also have telescopic vision.

Skills:
+8: Endurance
+7: Might, Alertness
+6: Fists, Weapons
+5: Athletics, Investigation
+4: Intimidate, Presence
+3: Survival, Lore
Other skills default to fair

Equipment:
Up to 100 giant melee weapons, usually swords, at weapon rating 5 to 7 (depending on craftmanship and size)
Up to 100 readily available things for throwing, ranging from cars to small ships, at weapon rating 5 to 7 (depending on sturdiness and weight)
« Last Edit: June 07, 2011, 10:11:42 AM by Belial666 »

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2011, 03:35:58 AM »
Geralt of Rivia

High Concept: Badass Mutant Witcher
Trouble: Amnesia (again).
Other Aspects: Ruthless Killer, Blade Master, An army of Enemies, Friends in constant need of rescue, Bane of Monsters

Skills:

Fantastic: Weapons, Lore
Superb: Conviction, Discipline
Great: Endurance, Alertness, Might
Good: Presence, Intimidate, Survival
Fair:   Empathy, Stealth, Contacts
Average: Rapport, Deceit, Resources

Powers:
Ritual Alchemy – Craft Potion etc [-2]
Sign Magic – [-4]: The ability to use the Quen, Igni etc Spell
Refinement: [4]: 16 potions slots
 Inhuman Toughness [-2]
 Inhuman Recovery [-2]
Catch of Dragon Fire [+0]
 Inhuman Strength [-2]

Items of Power

Witcher Silver Sword [-1]:
Obvious Item of Power: +2
Mystical Silver Sword: [-2]: This silver of this sword counts as the catch for sprits, demons, ghouls and most monsters that have a catch of Holy.  
True Aim: +1 to Swords when fighting Monsters

Witcher Iron Sword:
A Sword made of Meteorite Iron counts as the catch for fae’s etc

Stunts:

Blade Master: +2 damage when fighting with swords
Sword Expert: +1 weapons accuracy with swords
Group Style: -2 to accuracy to hit everyone in a zone.

Focus Items
Focus Item: +6 potion strength Focus Knife

Refresh Adjustment [-19]
Total Refresh [+6]  

« Last Edit: June 08, 2011, 03:39:22 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2011, 09:57:08 PM »
Albert Wesker

High Concept: The Big Bad
Trouble: Plans spiralling out of control
Other Aspects: Genetic Experiment, Ex-Stars, Umbrella Researcher, Constant Turncoat, Inhuman Monster

Powers
Mythic Speed [-6]: +3 to dodge and goes first against anyone without mythic speed
Supernatural Toughness [-6]
Mythic Recovery [-6]
[+0] Undislosed Vial 
Supernatural Strength [-4]

Stunts
Faster than the eye can see: Wesker can use his athletic skill for stealth checks by moving faster than his enemies can perceive.
Hyper Reflexes: Because of Wesker’s ridiculous reflexes his attacks are hard to avoid, Albert can use his full Athletics to compliment his fist and guns skill.  
Acrobat- +1 to Atheltics dodge.

Skills
+6: Athletics, Fists
+5: Scholarship, Deceit, Contacts
+4: Might, Resources, Alertness
+3: Presence, Conviction, Endurance
+2: Weapons, Rapport, Guns
+1: Survival, Intimidation, Investigation

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 11:48:28 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2011, 07:13:25 AM »
I'd give him Inhuman strength and, at best, supernatural toughness.

With Inhuman Strength and Might +4, he can rip off steel doors and even punch through weak walls with no trouble. He doesn't need any more strength.
Supernatural Toughness means he can be actually hit by shotguns or assault rifle bursts a half dozen times and keep going - even that might be high for him.

Physical immunity... no. He has, effectively, +4 athletics over any human. That's 1 in 81 chance for them to hit him at best - enough to reflect his dodging attacks from even world-class marksmans. And he was hit in the movie.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 22, 2011, 08:06:44 AM »
I was going for the Resident Evil 5 Albert Wesker who when hit at point blank range with a rocket exploding in is his hand is distracted for a few moment after which he suffers no ill effect (I know I did this 8 times). You can shoot at Wesker in Resident Evil 5 for hours on end and unless you hit him from behind you will allways miss even with fully automatic weapons at point blank range whilst playing as Chris Redfield a man who has at least superb guns skill probably fantastic. As for why mythic strength I will quote the wiki.

'Notable achievements of his increased strength included being able to lift large missiles with one hand and throwing them, lifting large steel girders off his body, lifting an adult human off the ground with one hand effortlessly, thrusting straight through the chest of a person with his fingertips, killing a chimera B.O.W. with just one kick, and sending someone flying with a single backhand swipe.' Resident Evil Wiki

« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 08:11:11 AM by ways and means »
Every night has its day.
I think.

Offline Belial666

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2011, 10:17:52 AM »
Rockets and grenades are weapon 4-5. Someone with supernatural toughness only takes 2-3 stress from a hit. Having 8 stress boxes, he can take 6-7 hits from them before even suffering consequences. Hence Supernatural Toughness.

Inhuman strength means your bare hands are as damaging as a one-handed sword or a gun. You can simply shove your fingers through the average human's chest. Inhuman ST and Might +4 means you can lift a quarter ton to half a ton casually (without rolling) and can use heavyset adults as thrown weapons like one would use a grenade.
Supernatural strength means your bare hands are as damaging as a grenade and significantly more than machineguns or battleaxes. You can cut the average human in half with a single blow. Supernatural Strength and Might +4 means you can punch through exterior walls of most buildings and casually lift a truck. A good roll would enable you to rip off vault doors.
So, his strength seems closer to inhuman than supernatural IMHO.

As for his dodge, fantastic athletics + mythic speed + acrobat = dodge of +10. If you only have fantastic skill, he can keep dodging you forever by using every 3rd or 4th to stand up and look good for the camera (which incidentally is an athletics maneuver applying "perfect balance" which he can tag for a +2 if he ever rolls badly)

In short, Mythic abilities are for heavy hitters that could take out a small army on their own, not someone who could be taken out by a Pure Mortal, however experienced and well-trained.
Skills-wise, even Shiro, the best swordsman Nicodemus had come up against in millenia, only has Fantastic weapons. Unless Chris Redfield is the greatest shooter in the entire world (or at least one of the best), he doesn't warrant Fantastic skills.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 23, 2011, 03:07:07 AM »
I'm not sure why, but most characters from other media get overstatted when people write them up for DFRPG.

There are plenty of superheroes that can be represented by Submerged characters. (Some representations of) Batman, Spiderman, the Fantastic Four, and the X-Men, for example.