Linked Events

• Signing in Washington, D.C.: August 01, 2011

Author Topic: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1  (Read 63087 times)

ToddM326

Re: Signing in Washington D.C. (McLean, VA) on 8/1
« Reply #165 on: July 26, 2011, 05:23:43 PM »
Picked up my hardcover copy today at lunch.  Go the receipt in the book & ready to go for Monday.

Decided to get the Kindle copy also, which downloaded last night with no issue.

It is Monday yet?

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
  • Not quite as old as ancient Mai...
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: July 26, 2011, 06:12:25 PM »
Basically, if you ordered a copy of GS from Barnes and Noble, double check your order.  Make sure that you're getting the book when you specified, instead of sometime next week. 

Thanks for the heads up--I called and according to Cust Serv my books are in shipping now...I like having the backup plan you suggested in case they don't get to me in time, tho.  I wonder if they had so many pre-orders they ran out and it's taking them a week to restock to send out current orders...

We shall see...I will re-check website tomorrow.

Can't wait for Monday, Monday.... :)
Milo, where's the Tollbooth?  Love, Tock.
Twitter: @Heartsonycgr

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #167 on: July 26, 2011, 07:46:01 PM »
NOTE: The "online" Aug 4 date at B&N is for the hardcover. The Nook edition is available now.

Of course, they're practically the same price.
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline paul_Harkonen

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: July 27, 2011, 04:06:31 AM »
I can say with 100% certainty that if you walk into the B&N in Tysons tomorrow you will be able to purchase the book.  (I know this because I went and did so).  I will note that when I went to pick it up my reserved copy wasn't in and didn't show up as being in the store, but I was able to pick up one of the physical copies on display up front and they had at least 15-20 just in that stack.

Offline Aine

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: July 27, 2011, 04:47:57 AM »
By "there" do you also mean joining us at the resturant too?

That's the plan! Well. What is the plan? I am assuming we will be hanging out in the store after we pick up wristbands? So, has the 5pm wristband time changed anything about the time to meet up at the restaurant?

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: July 27, 2011, 05:03:34 PM »
That's the plan! Well. What is the plan? I am assuming we will be hanging out in the store after we pick up wristbands? So, has the 5pm wristband time changed anything about the time to meet up at the restaurant?

meh, I'm a bit of a wing it type.  I'll be starting out my (traffic not accounted for) 3.5 hour drive before noon.  Depending on the lay of the land as it were, I may get in line for the wristband before 5, and I may stake out my spot for the Q&A shortly thereafter, however if there is no croud at 5...
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

ToddM326

« Reply #171 on: July 27, 2011, 05:15:04 PM »
I have a feeling that the "hard core" nature of Jim's fans will require getting there obnoxiously early to get a good number in the signing line and a good chair, and then wasting a lot of time waiting for the actual event.

I've been to signings for Pat Rothfuss and Brandon Sanderson, and the crowds were pretty significant.

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 27, 2011, 08:55:34 PM »
Thanks for the heads up--I called and according to Cust Serv my books are in shipping now...I like having the backup plan you suggested in case they don't get to me in time, tho.  I wonder if they had so many pre-orders they ran out and it's taking them a week to restock to send out current orders...

OK clearly I gave BN too much credit.  Over the past two days have gotten emails saying they're shipped AND they're not shipped.  Calls to Cust Serv say yes will cancel, followed by email saying cannot cancel.  The best story yet was being told that the order was being held for the OTHER item of the two I ordered.  You should have heard the duh duh duh noises after I pointed out to her that BOTH items were two copies of the same book!

Bottom lines are 1) they said books can be returned w/in 14 days (and to where I will go with that I will not say) and 2) I will NEVER EVER EVER NEVER order a book from BN.com again. 

This is ONE BOOKSTORE (online version, anyway) that DESERVES to be driven out of business based on their terrible, unreliable and illegitimate business practices.  I feel SORRY for the physical bookstore owners that will be driven out of business by the horrific management of the larger company.

Offline Zheryl

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: July 27, 2011, 09:26:34 PM »

The reservations are for 4pm so I figure after that we can mosey across the way for wrist bands and stake out a place at B&N.  If dinner runs over it's not like some of us can't wait at the table for a bit while one group goes over to get wrist bands and then the second group can go when the first returns. 

Also, considering the amount of posts for this event vs. the amount of posts for the other ones I would be willing to predict that this will be one of the larger signings.  However, it will be on a Monday night and not convenient for all, so it will most likely be a we shall see type thing.   
The building was on fire, and it wasn't my fault.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #174 on: July 27, 2011, 09:30:06 PM »
I've had some stuff come up, namely in the form an account statement from my school with a bill more than double what was estimated to me.  Whether or not I will be able to come remains to be seen at this point, and will probably stay undecided until Sunday.

Offline Heartsonycgr

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 28, 2011, 01:47:15 AM »
I've had some stuff come up, namely in the form an account statement from my school with a bill more than double what was estimated to me.  Whether or not I will be able to come remains to be seen at this point, and will probably stay undecided until Sunday.

Awwwwww.  Try to come..... :(  We will miss you if you can't!  I'll treat you to dinner for the heads up for B&N! :)

Offline comprex

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 28, 2011, 02:32:31 AM »
*is officially a "No"*

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #177 on: July 28, 2011, 04:57:00 AM »
Well, as of right now, I /think/ I'm going to make it. 70% certain.

Offline lizstaley

• Lurker
  • Webcomic Creator and Writer
    • View Profile
    • Adrastus Comic
« Reply #178 on: July 28, 2011, 11:21:16 PM »
Hi everyone! First time posting, but been lurking here for several weeks. Me, my hubby, and our friend who introduced us to Dresden Files are going to be at this signing, EARLY! I wanted to thank everyone who's called the store and asked questions, this thread has been a big help!

I just called the store myself and asked about me and my husband buying one book and both getting in to the Q&A and signing, and the guy on the phone double-checked and then told me it would be fine so long as we have the receipt.

Also, would love to hang out with some other fans before hand and schmooze! I'm going to be easy to spot- I'll be the tall woman with the Harry Dresden My Little Pony (complete with Bob the Skull!).

No, I'm not joking about that. :)

Offline jazz401

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 29, 2011, 01:41:42 PM »
Hey! Glad to know I'm not the only one who's been 'lurking' (I've never belonged to a community before--needed to see how this is done)! This is my first signing.The information about roads, approaches, construction and BN policy has been most helpful, thanks to all! My husband & I plan to be there early, coming from out of state, buying books for friends so we can both get into the signing & the Q&A (glad to know this was NOT necessary---for future reference). Looking forward to being there, have loved all things Dresden for years.