Author Topic: Jim's 2011 Signing Tour (CONFIRMED!)  (Read 84576 times)

Offline Priscellie

• Timeline Chick and Industrious Little Gnome
  • The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
Re: Jim's 2011 Signing Tour (CONFIRMED!)
« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2011, 01:26:24 AM »
KC also has the megaawesomebonus of being RELEASE DAY! 

Be sure to let Jim know how far you drove to see him.  That's a truly heroic quest!

Offline Shecky

• Bartender
  • O. M. G.
  • Feh.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2011, 01:40:46 AM »

Be sure to let Jim know how far you drove to see him.  That's a truly heroic quest!

It also has the Smokehouse Barbecue restaurant. AKA Nom Until You Burst 'Cause It's That Damn Good.
Official forum rules and precepts; please read: http://www.jimbutcheronline.com/bb/index.php/topic,23096.0.html

Quote from: Stanton Infeld
Well, if you couldn't do that with your bulls***, Leonard, I suspect the lad's impervious.

Offline MX

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2011, 06:00:20 AM »
It also has the Smokehouse Barbecue restaurant. AKA Nom Until You Burst 'Cause It's That Damn Good.

I considered heading to KC originally, but with Naperville only an hour away, I can't justify that, even though it is going to be the awesome release day.  I will count my blessings I get to be at a signing again.  The last one I attended was incredible!

Offline Kodiakc

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2011, 06:27:14 AM »
WOOT KY HERE I COME!  ;D

thats a great store and where I first met Jim!
"My Faith Protects Me, My Kevlar, Helps"

Offline LogicMouseLives

• Posty McPostington
  • Hop on the logic train!
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2011, 04:58:56 PM »

Or, as my husband insists on putting it: "Stalking my favorite author." He is being dragged along to share in my 'quest' of course! Although he won't have a costume. And hasn't even read all of the books, the heathen. But he loves me, and that's what counts.

Thanks for the dining tip, Shecky. We'll have to go there before we turn around and head home. Hmm. Maybe I can offer to buy Jim dinner there? Then my husband can really rib me!

LML
GENERATION 25: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

DV LogicMouseLives v1.1 YR4.5FR4 BK++++ JB+ TH(+++) WG CL BC- SH [Murphy+++ Molly--] RP++ MC----FF++++

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
  • Twitter: @myyrdneopia
    • View Profile
    • Ranting Dragon SF/F News and Reviews
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2011, 07:48:40 PM »
All right, so I've just gotten off of the phone with a guy at the Barnes and Noble in Tysons (McLean, VA).  /Generally/, the policy is to only allow items bought in-store to be signed.  But author's preference will factor into it as well.  The guy said probably the best way to go would be to buy one item in-store, and then say, "Oh, I've also got one/a couple more to get signed, as well," depending on the author and their preference. So, yeah, bring along a few books, but I would expect to have to go to the end of the line after 1-2 of them, depending on the line size.

I know that for my part, I'll probably be preordering a copy of GS, because I want to get a copy for the local library as well.  And taking along a couple Codex books. :D

Also, if there are any other locations folks would like me to call to ask about signing policy, I'll be more than happy to do so.  Course, Pris may hear differently from Jim on some of it, so of course there's that to bear in mind.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2011, 07:52:12 PM by Myyrdn Eopia »

Offline Katty

• Posty McPostington
  • Never been perfect. But neither have you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2011, 07:53:25 PM »
Dang....since I wait for paperbacks, this puts the final nail in it for me.  Hope y'all have fun!  :)
"No one gets to their heaven without a fight." - Neil Peart

"I'm going to hell for that bit.  And I'm taking all of you with me." - Denis Leary

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2011, 07:56:32 PM »
Dang....since I wait for paperbacks, this puts the final nail in it for me.  Hope y'all have fun!  :)

I am likely to buy from the store a copy of Storm Front or Dead Beat to let friends borrow, and will use it as justification to get my Nook signed.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2011, 08:05:18 PM »
Dang....since I wait for paperbacks, this puts the final nail in it for me.  Hope y'all have fun!  :)

Note *item*.  Not *hardcover release book*.  :D  I'm just going to get another copy of GS, for reasons previously stated.  That's just me. :)

Offline Waxbullet

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2011, 08:16:10 PM »
Butcher in Boston....
Holy Hannah.....

Offline Rasins

• Seriously?
  • Aid the younger and weaker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2011, 08:25:36 PM »
Priscellie,

I'm being lazy ...

Do you happen to know if I can go into Rainy Day books and pre-order?

I guess I could just call, or drop by but like I said, I'm lazy.
At times I wish I had a clone, but then I realize, I could never live with that a-hole.

DV Rasins 2006 BK+++ RP++ JB++++ TH++++ WG+(+?) CL SW++ BC- MC---

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2011, 08:39:34 PM »
Priscellie,

I'm being lazy ...

Do you happen to know if I can go into Rainy Day books and pre-order?

I guess I could just call, or drop by but like I said, I'm lazy.

I was under the impression you were supposed to buy your ticket in advance.  Call them and ask!

Offline Priscellie

• The Gatekeeper
  • Seriously?
  • Icon by Daoine! <3
    • View Profile
    • Priscellie.com
« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2011, 09:02:33 PM »
All right, so I've just gotten off of the phone with a guy at the Barnes and Noble in Tysons (McLean, VA).  /Generally/, the policy is to only allow items bought in-store to be signed.  But author's preference will factor into it as well.  The guy said probably the best way to go would be to buy one item in-store, and then say, "Oh, I've also got one/a couple more to get signed, as well," depending on the author and their preference. So, yeah, bring along a few books, but I would expect to have to go to the end of the line after 1-2 of them, depending on the line size.

I know that for my part, I'll probably be preordering a copy of GS, because I want to get a copy for the local library as well.  And taking along a couple Codex books. :D

Also, if there are any other locations folks would like me to call to ask about signing policy, I'll be more than happy to do so.  Course, Pris may hear differently from Jim on some of it, so of course there's that to bear in mind.

Jim is usually willing to sign three books per person.  If someone has more than that, they can go through the line again, as long as there's enough time.

As for book buying etiquette, I posted the following in another thread:

Anyone know if they'll allow signing of books brought in (i.e. not purchased in-store)?

Call the bookstore and ask!  Please let us know what you find.

However, keep in mind that buying the book at the store is good form.  Pat Rothfuss explained nicely:

1. This is going to be my first booksigning and I don’t know the etiquette. Do I need to buy my book at the bookstore, or can I bring a book from home?

Honestly? The polite thing to do is to buy your book at the bookstore hosting the event.

You see, the bookstores hosting me put a lot of time, energy, and money into events like these. They order a BUNCH of books. They bring in extra staff to manage the crowds, set up chairs, and sometimes reorganize parts of the store. If the signing goes late, they have to keep the store open after hours.

Also, you have to remember that while the bookstore loves you, they are also, you know, a store. A store that sells books. They need to sell books to stay in business.

But there are other reasons too. Let’s say I do a signing and the bookstore sells 500 books. That bookstore is happy. That bookstore likes me. That bookstore wants to have me back for future events. Also, my publisher is happy, and they feel like spending the money to fly me out to events like this are a worthwhile investment.

But if I do a signing and sell, say, 20 books, odds are the bookstore won’t be inviting me back in the future.

Ultimately, buying a book at the hosting store is just good manners. They’re putting a lot of work into the event, and buying a book is the best way to show that you appreciate that.
-- http://blog.patrickrothfuss.com/2011/02/faq-the-wise-mans-fear-signing-tour/

Of course, many fans aren't going to want to wait the two or five or eight days for Jim to come through their city to buy and read the book, in which case I suggest buying the book from the store hosting Jim on release day.

Of course, many fans live far away from the store in question and don't want to make the trek twice, in which case I suggest they buy SOMETHING from the store when they come to see Jim, preferably of equal value to one of Jim's books.  Thank the store with your moneys!

Make sure you check with the bookstore, however, as they all have different policies.  Some may offer preferential treatment to folks who buy the book in-store.

Offline Myyrdn Eopia

• Bartender
  • Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2011, 10:25:47 PM »
Jim is usually willing to sign three books per person.  If someone has more than that, they can go through the line again, as long as there's enough time.

Yeah, I'll probably have a decent stack with me, and will judge how many I take up at a time based on the crowd there.  If it's larger, I'll probably only take two up at a time, then head to the back.

Offline Serack

• Special Collections Division
  • Posty McPostington
  • WoJ Rock Star!
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2011, 10:31:44 PM »
BTW, if any of you guys are taking a recording of your signing's Q&A, and aren't interested in posting it to youtube, I am willing to snail-mail you an SD card (with return packaging) to copy your video onto if you are willing to let me post it.
DF WoJ Compilation
Green is my curator voice.
Name dropping "Serack" in a post /will/ draw my attention to it

*gnaws on the collar of his special issue Beta Foo long-sleeved jacket*