Author Topic: Dresden Files - M&M Style  (Read 25396 times)

Offline Save-vs-DM

• Participant
    • View Profile
Dresden Files - M&M Style
« on: April 10, 2007, 11:45:08 AM »
Harry Dresden

PL: 10 (199pp)

Abilities: STR: 12 (+1), DEX: 16 (+3), CON: 18 (+4), INT: 22 (+6), WIS: 22 (+6), CHA: 14 (+2)

Skills: Acrobatics 3 (+6), Concentration 15 (+19), Craft (Artistic) 10 (+16), Disable Device 8 (+13), Drive 4 (+7), Escape Artist 8 (+11), Gather Information 10 (+12), Handle Animal 4 (+6), Intimidate 4 (+6), Investigate 15 (+21), Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 15 (+21), Knowledge (Behavorial Sciences) 5 (+11), Knowledge (Civics) 5 (+11), Knowledge (Current Events) 5 (+11), Knowledge (Popular Culture) 5 (+11), Knowledge (Streetwise) 10 (+16), Knowledge (Tehology and Philosophy) 5 (+11), Language (Latin) 1, Medicine 2 (+8), Notice 15 (+21), Perform (Stringed Instruments) 5 (+7), Profession (Private Eye) 15 (+21), Search 15 (+21), Sense Motive 10 (+16), Sleight of Hand 5 (+8), Stealth 5 (+8)

Feats: Assessment, Artificer, Connected, Contacts, Diehard, Distract, Evasion, Favored Opponent (Vampires) 2, Leadership, Luck 2, Master Plan, Ritualist, Sidekick 10, Taunt

Powers: Array [Magic] (Air Control 10, Blast [Fire] 10, Hellfire Control 10, Shield 10) 10; 23pp, Immunity (Aging [Limited]); 1pp, Super Senses 11 (Counters Illusion [Flaw: Distracting, Drawback: Action (Full-Round Action)], Precognition [Flaws: Limited (Soulgaze), Drawback: Action (Full-Round Action)], Postcognition [Flaws: Limited (Soulgaze), Drawback: Action (Full-Round Action)], Magical Awareness); 4pp

Devices: Spell-Hardened Duster [Impervious Protection 5, hard to loose]; 8pp

Combat: Attack +6 [Staff +2, Unarmed +1], Defense 18 (14 flat-footed), Init +3

Saves: Toughness +9 (Impervious 5, +4 without duster), Fortitude +8, Reflex +8, Will +12

Complications: Accident (Causes modern machinery to malfunction), Enemy (Vampires; Various Monsters), Reputation (User of black magic)

Drawbacks: Power Loss: Magic [Half power when unable to use a focus; 1pp], Power Loss: Magic [Unable to use magic when unable to speak; 1pp]

Attributes 44, Combat 28, Feats 25, Powers 36, Saves 15, Skills 51 (204 ranks)

Bob [Knowledge Spirit]

Abilities: STR: -- (+0), DEX: 12 (+1), CON: -- (+0), INT: 40 (+15), WIS: 20 (+5), CHA: 14 (+2)

Skills: Gather Information 8 (+10), Knowledge (Arcane Lore) 15 (+30), Knowledge (Art) 15 (+30), Knowledge (Behavioral Sciences) 15 (+30), Knowledge (Civics) 15 (+30), Knowledge (Current Events) 15 (+30), Knowledge (Earth Sciences) 15 (+30), Knowledge (History) 15 (+30), Knowledge (Life Sciences) 15 (+30), Knowledge (Physical Sciences) 15 (+30), Knowledge (Popular Culture) 15 (+30), Knowledge (Tactics) 15 (+30), Knowledge (Theology and Philosophy) 15 (+30)

Feats: Eidetic Memory

Combat: Attack +6 [Bite +5], Defense 16 (13 flat-footed), Initiative +3

Saves: Toughness +0, Fortitude +0, Reflex +1, Willpower +5

Powers: Immunity (Fortitude) 30, Insubstantial (Innate, Permanent) 2, Possession (Limited: Animals) 2

Complications: Obsession (Sex)

Mouse [Dog]

Abilities: STR: 22 (+6), DEX: 16 (+3), CON: 20 (+5), INT: 8 (-1), WIS: 14 (+2), CHA: 12 (+1)

Skills: Jump 6 (+11), Notice 10 (+2), Survival 2 (+4), Swim 2 (+7)

Feats: Fearless, Interpose

Combat: Attack +6 [Bite +5], Defense 16 (13 flat-footed), Initiative +3

Saves: Toughness +7, Fortitude +8, Reflex +3, Will +6

Powers: Growth 2 (Power Feats: Innate, Flaws: Permanent), Protection 2, Regeneration (Improved Recovery) 4, Super-Senses (detect evil/unnatural, scent, track, ultra-hearing) 5

So, here's my first shot at stating up Harry, Bob, and Mouse.  It takes a lot of effort, so it's probably going to take me a little while to get the rest of the characters.  Harry is probably a bit too spendy, but I wanted him to be at about the power level he showed around the book Proven Guilty/White Night.  I've deliberately avoided adding powers that show up only in the latest book.

I think that most things worked out well - I was proud of how I worked out wizard's sight and the soulgaze.  I've left out one glaring complication in Harry's sheet - Laschiel.  I wasn't sure how to stat "her" up, honestly.  I think she would probably be a complication myself, but she does add some benefits as well.  In the end, I decided just to have her be "DM fiat", and left it at that.

The only thing I couldn't handle with this system was the accelerated healing of wizards.  I've decided that it's really just Harry using a hero point to duplicate the Regeneration power in fits and spurts.

And to those of you who say he doesn't have near enough magic, I think that 99% of most of his magic is actually just a good use of the Artificer or Ritualist feat (I mean, he even says ritual magic is his specialty).  With his boatload of complications, Harry is rarely without a spare hero point to fuel this feat.

Up next...Micheal

(Mods: I tried really, really hard to avoid any sort of spoiler information with my mechanics, but if you think this belongs somewhere else, please move it).

Cheers,
Save vs DM

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: Dresden Files - M&M Style
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2007, 11:55:06 AM »
Fun.  I love seeing stats from systems that I'm not soaking in 24/7. :)
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2007, 12:00:27 PM »
small problem with your dresden. His two stats of 22 cannot be. 20 is the max stat for a human without powers that enhance an attribute. I'll let it slide for mouse because he's a dog.
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline 13x13

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Slacker by Birth, Genius by Choice
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2007, 03:15:36 PM »
Save-v-sDM good to see you here.  Haven't been on the Starting Now boards for a long time.

Offline Slife

• Conversationalist
  • Fuego Maximilian‽
    • View Profile
    • VGF, Yo.  Home of the World's First Spritecomic
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2007, 10:06:40 PM »
You know what would be really cool?

If the next DFRPG preview had a statblock for Harry.
Rule one of magic:  Never, ever, under any circumstances, trust someone named "Morningstar".

Offline Save-vs-DM

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 02:08:55 AM »
small problem with your dresden. His two stats of 22 cannot be. 20 is the max stat for a human without powers that enhance an attribute. I'll let it slide for mouse because he's a dog.

That may have been true in 1e, but in 2e they've done away with that rather arbitrary distinction.  Heck, 24-25 is now considered to be the peak of human achievement.  Plus, Harry isn't quite "mortal", at least by comic book standards.  Still, thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers,
Save vs DM

Offline Antimatter Girl

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2007, 04:11:26 AM »
Is it wrong that I am disappointed that this thread was not, in fact, about candy-covered chocolates shaped like Dresden Files characters?

Offline icarus

• Participant
  • Tears for the Fallen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2007, 04:45:39 AM »
Is it wrong that I am disappointed that this thread was not, in fact, about candy-covered chocolates shaped like Dresden Files characters?

If it's wrong, we're wrong together.

*departs thread*
"By the help of God and His precious assistance, I say that Algebra is a scientific art."

'Umar al-Khayyami.

Offline Save-vs-DM

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2007, 01:52:53 PM »
Sorry to disappoint you on that regard, but yeah, M&M in this thread stands for Mutants and Masterminds.

Cheers,
Save vs DM

Offline Chuck Chuck Razool

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2007, 03:28:56 AM »
That may have been true in 1e, but in 2e they've done away with that rather arbitrary distinction.  Heck, 24-25 is now considered to be the peak of human achievement.  Plus, Harry isn't quite "mortal", at least by comic book standards.  Still, thanks for pointing that out.

Cheers,
Save vs DM

Dang it! they always do that to me. I start playing a game and then they release a new edition. It happened with shadowrun, and now this. hopefully MNM 2e isn't going to be the bastardization Shadowrun 4e ended up being.
"There's a voice that comes from everywhere, and it's not saying anything."

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2007, 02:14:05 PM »
You know what would be really cool?

If the next DFRPG preview had a statblock for Harry.

That's coming, but it'll still be a bit.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline Save-vs-DM

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2007, 06:31:28 AM »
Dang it! they always do that to me. I start playing a game and then they release a new edition. It happened with shadowrun, and now this. hopefully MNM 2e isn't going to be the bastardization Shadowrun 4e ended up being.

Actually, the second edition is so much smoother and better than the first.  It fixed a lot of problems with some powers and how things were bought, and it's also nice.  Plus power level no longer determines how many ranks in a power you can take (though it still does if the power does damage, as damage rating is still mostly capped by power level, unless you trade off attack bonus for damage bonus).

I highly recommend the second edition.

Cheers,
Save vs DM

Offline Rel Fexive

• Conversationalist
  • Shadow Sorcerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2007, 06:04:27 PM »
I highly recommend the second edition.
As do I.  A definite improvement on the first.
THE DOCTOR: I'll do a thing.
RIVER SONG: What thing?
THE DOCTOR: I don't know. It's a thing in progress. Respect the thing!

Offline Mickey Finn

• Encyclopedia Salesman at the Gates of Mordor --- http://tinyurl.com/Amazon-Page-for-Finn
  • White Council
  • Posty McPostington
  • Moderator, Thematic Consultant for Comic
    • View Profile
    • Amazon Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2007, 11:09:28 PM »

I was close...I was thinking Dresden action figures with M&Ms...like Star Wars.

(Ok, honestly, I was thinking photoshopped)
We are not nouns. We are VERBS. -Stephen Fry
The Universe is made of stories, not of atoms. -Muriel Rukeyser

Podcast: http://thegentlemennerds.com/

Wormwood Mysteries:
"All The Pretty Little Horses" http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00W8FE3FS 
"Sign of the Times" http://tinyurl.com/DirtyMagick

Offline Matrix Refugee (formerly Morraeon)

• Posty McPostington
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2007, 11:26:44 PM »

Hm... there is that "Be an M&M" webtoy-thingie. Wonder if someone has done M&M versions of denizens of the Dresden-verse.