Author Topic: No More Name Changing Shenanigans  (Read 7957 times)

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
No More Name Changing Shenanigans
« on: May 15, 2011, 04:01:38 AM »
The name change feature will be disabled effective immediately.

The reason we have to do this is because it's making moderating difficult.  When we get a complaint, we usually have to go back and review not just the post in question, but also that member's earlier posts to see if there's been a pattern of unacceptable behaviours like name calling, drive-by's, or General Nasty Attitude.  But when the poster names are changing on a regular basis, that makes things difficult.  For example, we might think two out-of-bounds comments were first mistakes by two members when in fact they were both by the same person who had been warned... and changed their handle.

Also, we really, really, don't want to zap the wrong member for something another member posted under a similar pseudonym, or because we lost track of who said what 3 names ago.

We realize it's fun to play the Theme of the Week games, but the feature is now interfering with our ability to keep things running in a smooth, and most of all, fair manner (feel free to do any "dress-up as..." stuff with your avatars instead).

Sorry we had to do this, but it's become a necessity. Thank you for your understanding and cooperation.
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/

Offline iago

• The Merlin
  • Posty McPostington
  • I'm the site administrator.
    • View Profile
    • Deadly Fredly
Re: No More Name Changing Shenanigans
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 02:31:51 PM »
It's been pointed out that turning it off immediately left folks locked into their false names -- I'd thought it would knock everyone back to their login name automatically. Whoops!

So, everyone has between now and sometime midday Monday to change to whatever name they'll be locked in on going forward. That's 24 hours, people. Step to it!
Fred Hicks
I own the board. If I start talking in my moderator voice, expect the Fist of God to be close on my heels. Red is my Fist of God voice.
www.evilhat.com * www.dresdenfilesrpg.com
Support this site: http://www.jim-butcher.com/store/