Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 160450 times)

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2011, 10:33:21 AM »
Focused Study [–0]
Of course, you'll only be limited to around 1.5 points of specializations, since you only have 2 places for you 'tree' to go.  Is probably not a very good idea.

Focused Mastery [-1]
No, just no.  The high base refresh cost before you can start stacking on the specialization bonuses, plus the fact that you have to build them in a tree goes at least some way towards keeping poeople honest. 

Rote Reliance [+1]
Not sure this is enough of a drawback.  In theory, an attack, a defense, and a maneuver will cover maybe as much as 90% of your spell casting needs

Signature Spell [-1]
This one, I don't have any problems with.

Spell-like Abilities [-3]
Seems too expensive at -3.

Dangerous Aura [-2]
Looks OK, except maybe for the Mental Aura enhancement.  While thematically appropriate, the lack of normal enhancements to metal defense may make this overpowered.
The aura should probably take a supplemental action to maintain, though. 

The Hidden Voice [-1]
What does this power do rules wise?  Does it let you 'speak' to anyone, regardless of language barriers?  If so, is probably worth 1 point, or slightly more.  Otherwise, doesn't seem to be worth anything.

Thought Mimicing Voice [-2] [sic]
Powers that let you outright ignore the stuff written down on the other guys character sheet probably shouldn't exist.

Kulan-Do
Um, what?

Shadow Manipulation [-1], second posted version with the same name
Doesn't look to bad.  Should probably have an explicitly range limit though, maybe 2 zones?

Inhuman Balance [–1]
Considering that outright being able to fly is also -1, I'd say this version should let you stant on things that normally wouldn't be able to bear your weight, like this tips of bamboo plants or a piece of string strung between two buildings.

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2011, 12:31:59 PM »

Red Hot Knives (I don't see the point of this. You can do the same thing with a stunt.)

Red Hot Knives: Stunt, as others said. It even is underpowered for a stunt.

What would a better balanced power version of Red Hot Knives be?
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2011, 07:24:35 PM »
@BumblingBear: There can't be one. It's a decent-ish stunt with a magical justification. Making it stronger would be creating a power that's "like a stunt, but better". And you know how I feel about that.

@crusher_bob:

Gambler is dead. Gone. Vaporized.

I like your version of Force Field much better. I suppose I'll keep that power, with a rewrite much like yours.

All right, let's get rid of Danger Sense and Lucky Dodge.

Immortality might overlap somewhat with Physical Immunity, but I feel that the thematic and mechanical differences are large enough to justify its existance.

Telepathy and Dream Or Reality need rewriting. But they're not unsalvageable. I'm pretty sure that the illiteracy is because you supposedly can't read in dreams.

Flesh Forgery, Displacement, Haruspicy, and Projectile all need to be rewritten for power level adjustments.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2011, 07:49:24 PM »
Displacement [-1]
Rubs me the wrong way.  Basic version is probably slightly overpowered.  The upgraded version, especially with it's ambush setup ability is pretty horrible.  IMHO, attacking someone who is not expecting an attack vs attacking someone who is already in a fight, but just doesn't anticipate your attack specifically are two different things.  Possibly change to a bonus to attack (+1 or +2)? instead of the ambush trapping.

Powers should be somewhat better than Stunts, as folks should recall.

That said, I can accept charging 2 refresh for the basic ability. Would removing the stacking bonus to Full Defense be enough to drop it down to 1 Refresh again? +6 is, in retrospect, quite a boost to Defense.

I'd also be fine with the Blinking add-on providing a simple bonus to attack rolls.

Edit: How does this updated version look?

Displacement [-2]
Description: You are not where you appear to be. A glamor or other optical effect obscures your true location, making it difficult for opponents to properly target you.
Musts: You must have a high concept that would justify this power, such as Cloaked Malk, or Nevernever Mugger, or at the very least be something other than a Pure Mortal.
Skills Affected: Athletics, Fists, Guns, Weapons.
Effects:
Missed Me, Missed Me. You gain a +2 bonus to your Athletics for the purpose of defending against attacks. This bonus does not require your attention or concentration: should you be successfully ambushed, this bonus will remain, granting you a minimum Athletics of Fair (+2). You may also use this bonus to any Athletics check to perform a maneuver intended to confound, mislead or disorient an opponent. If you take a Full Defense action, this bonus stacks with the existing benefits of Full Defense (for a combined bonus of +4).
Blinking [-1]. When you purchase this upgrade, your power is not an optical effect: you are actually changing positions rapidly during combat, by stepping back and forth between the Nevernever and the real world. In addition to the Missed Me, Missed Me effect, you gain a +2 to any attack roll. However, anyone who can simultaneously perceive the real world and the Nevernever is immune to this effect.

Note: it will be up to the GM how to handle any complications of the Nevernever aspect of Blinking. The simplest answer is that Blinking creates a sort of proto-Demesne wherever it happens to be, which does not in itself attract (or make it vulnerable to) any of the Nevernever denizens which may be coterminous with that current location.

If someone made this into an Item of Power (traditionally a Cloak of Displacement), would you vote that a Cloak be considered +1 or +2 Refresh?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2011, 11:19:46 PM by devonapple »
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 16, 2011, 07:53:33 PM »
Your points concerning the power levels of various powers are noted. The only ones I feel the need to address are the ones about Focused Mastery and Dangerous Aura.

Would you feel better about Focused Mastery if it removed your ability to use foci?

I actually think it might be balanced for -0, then. Especially if you removed the Lore bonus.

I think that Dangerous Aura, as written, is underpowered if anything. It requires a huge amount of refresh to make it into a real threat. And I like it that way.

I'd love to hear how it worries you, though.

What's the problem with Kulan-Do?

"Um, what?" isn't very helpful, if you don't mind me saying so.

My reading of the Hidden Voice is that it defeats language barriers and eavesdropping. My reading of Thought-Mimicking Voice is that it allows social ambushes.

Revised list will be up soon. Then I'll start rewriting Items Of Power and Creature Features.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 16, 2011, 11:07:55 PM »
The revised list is here. So, we've gotten rid of the stuff that we really didn't need.

Now, it's time to whip the (many) poorly written and poorly balanced powers into shape. Might as well format them nicely.

We may still have to eliminate some powers (Displacement, Focused Mastery, Kulan-Do and Rapid Strike seem to be the most likely to be removed) but I think we've gotten rid of the real deadwood. I think everything on the list right now is at least balance-able, if not balanced.

I intend to rewrite and reformat the powers in the order that they appear on the list, but the rest of you should not feel so bound.

Creature Features

Extra Appendages [-2]:
Requirements: Appropriate High Concept.
Skills Affected: Fists, Weapons, Guns
Effects:
Multiple Targets. You may make spray attacks with anything, within reason.
Mix And Match. You may use multiple different weapons in a single spray attack. Use the lowest applicable skill. You may also make attack-like maneuvers as part of a spray attack.
Excellent Coordination [-1]. For each purchase of this power, add 1 to the accuracy of each attack or maneuver within spray attacks that you make. This cannot increase accuracy beyond the number of shifts that you had to split up between attacks in the first place.
Dismemberable [+1]. (Requires Excellent Coordination) Each consequence that you take removes the effects of one purchase of Excellent Coordination until that consequence heals. If this reduces the effects of all of your purchases of Excellent Coordination, remove the effects of this power entirely.
Hydra-Style Recovery [-2]. (Requires Dismemberable and a Recovery power) Whenever you use your Recovery power to negate a mild consequence, you gain the effects of two purchases of Excellent Coordination until the end of the scene.

AQUATIC [-1]
See YS162
Not Amphibious [+1]. You can't survive outside of the water; when taken from the water, (say on to dry land in the middle of a city) The environment makes a Fantastic (+6) maneuver on you, resisted by Endurance; if successful, you gain a Suffocating aspect.
In each subsequent exchange, you must roll Endurance to defend against a Fantastic (+6) Environmental attack. Once you concede or are taken out (falling unconscious), the attacks stop. However, the damage is already done; without medical attention and re-introduction into your necessary environment, a taken out victim will soon die (within a a score of minutes, an hour at most.)
Re-introduction into the water, will end the effect and remove the aspect.

Titanic Size [-4] Hulking Size x2.

Unthinkable Size [-6] Hulking Size x3.

Breath Weapon (-2)
As per YS162
        Projectile (-2) Your “Breath weapon” is some form of projectile. Because of this you add increased stress from any Strength powers you possess. In addition, each level of strength increases the range of your breath weapon by 1 zone. (Example, if you have Supernatural Strength you would deal +6 stress with your breath weapon, and you could affect targets up to 3 zones away.)
   Strong Breath (-1) You breath weapon is extremely potent.  You add +4, instead of +2, to the stress your breath weapon deals. In addition you add +1 to any rolls to perform maneuvers.  This power cannot be combined with projectile.
   Mighty Breath (-1) Your breath weapon is extremely powerful. Add an additional +2 stress, and a +1 to maneuvers when using your breath weapon, for a total of +6 Stress/+2 for Maneuvers.  This Power cannot be taken with Projectile.
   Wide Breath (-2) Your breath weapon affects everyone in a single zone.
   Ranged Breath (-1) The range of your breath is increased by one zone.

Amorphous Form [-1]

Your body isn't solid the way one would expect. It's made of either a stretchy, rubberlike substance or an out and out liquid.

No Hole Too Small: You can squeeze underneath a door if need be. You may ignore all barriers that aren't sealed.
Difficult To Grab: Your body isn't easy to hold. You get +2 to all attempts to avoid or escape a grapple.
No Internal Anatomy: [-1] You don't have the easily damaged organs that most people rely on. You have armour 2 against all attacks that rely on precision or piercing damage.
Living Rope:[-1] You can literally wrap your body around someone. It's quite helpful when wrestling. You get +1 to all rolls made to grapple or escape a grapple.
Long Reach:[-1] Your arms stretch. You may make melee attacks against targets up to a zone away.

Damage Shield [-1]
Description: For whatever reason, attacking you isn't safe. Maybe you're covered in spikes, or maybe your body flows with 10 000 volts of electricity.
Musts: Nothing in particular.
Effect:
Damage Shield. Whenever a character makes an unarmed attack against you and misses, they take physical stress equal to the number of shifts by which your defence roll exceeds their attack roll. This might also trigger on some maneuvers, if the GM deems it appropriate.
Conductive Damage Shield [-1]. This power works against all melee attacks, not just unarmed ones.
Reflective Damage Shield [-1]. (Requires Conductive Damage Shield) This power works against all attacks, not just melee ones.
Dangerous Damage Shield [-1]. This power inflicts two additional stress whenever it triggers.
Lethal Damage Shield [-1]. (Requires Dangerous Damage Shield) This power inflicts a further two additional stress when it triggers.
Mutual Damage Shield [-1]. (Requires Dangerous Damage Shield) This power triggers when you are hit as well as when you are missed. Treat the attacker's threshold shifts as negative shifts for the purposes of calculating this power's damage.

Dangerous Aura [-2]
Description: Standing near you is dangerous.
Musts: Nothing in particular.
Effect:
Dangerous Aura. This power makes a Fair physical attack against Endurance at weapon 0 against each character in your zone each turn. EDIT: Please note that this power can be turned off and does not affect the user.
Extra-Dangerous Aura [-1]. This power makes Great attacks.
Super-Dangerous Aura [-1]. This power makes Fantastic attacks.
Hyper-Dangerous Aura [-1]. This power attacks at weapon 2.
Mental Aura [-1]. This power inflicts mental stress and is resisted with Discipline.

Items Of Power:

Item of Power: The Lamp of Diogenes [-3]

One Time Discount: [+1]
It Is What It Is: The Lamp of Diogenes is just that: an old clay oil lamp. 

Unbreakable

Imparted Abilities:
The Soulgaze [-1]: Diogenes carried this lamp in the daytime, claiming to be looking for an honest man. 

Master of the Soulgaze: You are remarkably good at seeing the souls of others. Increase your Discipline and Lore skills by one when using them to interpret or defend in a soulgaze.

On A Mission Of Honesty And Cynicism: Your soul has a truly profound effect on those who see it. Add two to your Conviction skill when using it to make mental attacks in a Soulgaze.

Searching For An Honest Man: People's emotions are pretty damn obvious to you. Add two to your Empathy skill when using it to read people.

My offering: The Gallows Eye (for a pirate-themed game) (-2 to -3)
A carved wooden false eye, worn smooth, with a twisted grain running throughout.  This eye was carved from a used gallows tree, upon which the character's trusted captain had been hung.  Now, the character wears the eye as a macabre memorial... and to make use of the spirit-sight it grants.

It Is What It Is: A false eye.  Thus, in order to make use of the Gallows Eye, a character must lose an eye and place the Gallows Eye in its stead.  The eye does not grant standard binocular vision - it is, after all, a false eye - and thus the Aspect associated with this Item will be compelled quite often for situations requiring depth perception. 
Unbreakable: The Gallows Eye cannot be destroyed save by the use of a necromantic ritual similar to a ghost-binding or the Darkhallow. 
Imparted Abilities:
One-Time Discount [+1]
Ghost Speaker [-1]
The Sight with a leaning toward death, ghosts, and spirits [-1]
Spirit Sensitivity (as the Stunt Finely-Tuned Third Eye) [-1]
Psychometry [-1] can also be added, at sight rather than touch.

The Sword of the Revolution [-3]
• One-Time Discount [+2]
• It Is What It Is: George Washington’s exquisitely made hanger-type battle sword that functions at Weapon: 3.
• Unbreakable: The sword cannot be broken except through a ritual dedicated to perverting its purpose or preventing the freedom of a being possessing freewill.
• Let Freedom Ring [-2]: The wielder may draw the sword from its sheath to create a sound like a ringing bell clearly and audibly in an area including its current zone and all adjacent zones. The radius may be doubled for each point of mental stress the wielder takes when drawing the sword. Those within the affected area are protected from mind-clouding supernatural effects by a block based on an Intimidation roll made by the wielder. This same roll is used as a maneuver against any non-corporeal entities to startle them and drive them off.
• True Aim [-1]: When swung in keeping with its purpose, the Sword of the Revolution grants a +1 to the wielder’s Weapons skill.
• All Beings Are Created Equal [-2]: When facing an opponent, the wielder may spend a fate point to ignore that opponent’s defensive abilities (Toughness based ones, primarily), as well as any mundane armor the foe has, for the duration of the scene. In essence, the Sword of the Revolution may take the place of whatever it is that a creature has a weakness to (whatever “the Catch” is on their Toughness powers), on demand, so long as the wielder can spend that fate point - particularly handy when facing ultra-tough Denarians or true dragons. Whatever abilities a creature may have, the job of the Sword of the Revolution is creating a mostly even playing field – or something very much like it – between mortal and monster.

Cloak of Midwinter Night [-2]
One Time Discount [+2]
It Is What It Is: As named, it is a heavy, floor length cloak woven of a thread so deep blue as to be practically identical to the night sky. When worn by its owner under the stars, they are reflected in its threads as if it was a mirror. The interior is lined with pure white fur from what seems to be a polar bear, which never stains.
Unbreakable: The Cloak cannot be destroyed except through a ritual dedicating it to summer and in the presence of the summer wellspring, or at the will of its weaver, Mother Winter herself.
Faerie Glamours [-2]: The wearer of the cloak may use the Glamours power. Of note, when the power of Winter or any other true magic is used, any Seemings will vanish, revealing the cloak and wearer for what they are, and cannot be reapplied for the remainder of the scene, though veils made with this power will still work.
Winter's Blessing [-2]: The owner of the cloak is granted Inhuman Toughness. The Catch is the Seelie Magic [+1].
Flight [-1]: The owner of the cloak is granted the Wings power, as the cloak billows out, spreading into an enormous (think almost 30ft) pair of Raven's Wings, reversing to white above and black below. This may not be disguised by a Seeming, though the wearer may still be Veiled.

Sealskin Selkie Robe
Hexenwulfen-style IoP, it allows the owner to transform into a seal. 
Appearance: a long, floor length fur robe, with the hood being the head of a seal.
It Is What It Is: This is a fur robe, made from the complete skin of an adult harbor seal.  Watch out for PETA.
Item of Power: Seal-Fur Robe, [+2] affecting:
Echoes of the Beast [-1] +1 hearing, see in the dark, talk to sea life.
Beast Change [-1]
Human Form [+1]
Aquatic [-1]
Demonic Co-Pilot: [-1] The Co-pilot is an animal spirit, not a demon of rage or hunger. However, it creates a link to the wearer; if another possess the robe, it functions as a potent material link to her, as strong as her True Name and thus can be used to bind her.  Loaning the robe to someone else bonds the spirit to them. 
Total refresh cost: -1.

Ring of Anubis
A ring of black obsidian set in the shape of an open eye
The wearer of the ring carries the Mark of Anubis and has his power over things dead
Grants [+2]
[-1] Ghost-Speaker
[-1] Marked by Power
[-1] Refinement (Ectomancy Control +1, Ectomancy Power +1)
(total cost -1)

Tin Foil Helmet
+2 Discount
-8 Physical Immunity: Mind control magic
+5 Catch: Only protects against magic or powers that would affect the mind or emotions.
-1 = Total cost

Christ's Bloodwhip [-3]
The whip used to torture Christ on the cross. The blood of the White God's son has soaked into it and imbued it with the power of holy pain.
+2 discount
-1 Holy
-1 Incite Emotion (Pain)
-1 Lasting Emotion
-1 Potent Emotion
-1 It's A Whip (Use Weapons for Incite Emotion)

The Shifting Destiny
The Shifting Destiny is an ancient artifact that takes the form the most suits the wielder, even if the wielder doesn't know it suits them. The only thing that remains constant throughout the many incarnations of the artifact is that somewhere on the artifact is a triangle. Those that know of item or seek to take it often refer to it as "The Destiny" or "The Gift". Those that come to wield artifact often give it a nickname that symbolizes it's current incarnation.
Unbreakable
Modular Item; As Modular Abilities without the -2 surcharge, this item takes the form the most suits the wielder the first time they touch the item and the item shape may never be changed thereafter. The form The Shifting Destiny takes could be anything: a bow, shield, or even a pen. Once the form is changed, it remains locked until it has a new wielder. The abilities of The Shifting Destiny can grow and evolve for the wielder.
The Price of Change; The Shifting Destiny only changes when it is “rightfully acquired,” traditionally this means when it is given to a new wielder or taken from a deceased wielder (taking it from a living wielder by thievery or force will not change the artifact until the current wielder is dead). Temporarily loaning The Shifting Destiny does not change the item, but all subsequent rolls made with the The Shifting Destiny by the loan-ee are at -1 as the item’s current form is not meant for them.
Affecting the following for Nicholas:
It’s a Sword; For Nicholas, The Shifting Destiny takes the form of perfectly made Weapon:3 longsword.
True Aim
Flaming; as Holy, except with Fire.
Flare; as Breath Weapon (Fire). Note: The attack comes from the sword, not from Nicholas.
Nova Flare; Flare is now Weapon:4
One Time Discount: +2
Total Cost: -3

Mjolnir
"The Bigger They Are...": as All Creatures Equal Before a God with a Hammer
It's a BIG Hammer: Weapon:3, reasoning is that it was intended to be a two handed weapon.
The Weight of Responsibility: as Divine Purpose. When not being properly wielded, Mjolnir becomes an unwieldy weight.
True Aim
Unbreakable
Never Far From Reach: Mjolnir can be thrown as a weapon up to 2 zones away (instead of the standard 1). Upon striking or missing, it returns to its owner's hand on the following exchange. This ability only works when the hammer is thrown. If the hammer caught, stuck, or taken from the bearer the hammer will not magically return.
One Time Discount: +2 (It's awkward to hide, thus fairly easy to detect)
Total Cost: -3 (including +2)

Megingjoro
It's a Belt: Megingjoro takes the form of a wolf-hide belt.
Thunder's Strength: grants Inhuman Strength.
Note 1: The bearer loses access to Inhuman Strength when not in physical contact with Megingjoro.
Note 2: If the bearer already possess a Strength power, increase it one step (e.g. Inhuman to Supernatural or Supernatural to Mythic).
Note 3: Those with Mythic Strength can Lift an object as if it were 2 shifts lighter and gain an additional +1 bonus to Breaking.
Unbreakable
Note: Megingjoro is not required to wield Mjolnir
Total Cost: -1

Jarngreipr
It's a Gauntlet: Jarngreipr is a single gauntlet.
Physical Immunity (Electricity)
The Catch (Not Electricity)
Note: The bearer loses access to Physical Immunity (Electricity) when not in physical contact with Jarngreipr.
Unbreakable
Note: Jarngreipr is not required to wield Mjolnir
Total Cost: -2

Armageddon Sign
-0 Cassandra's Tears
-4 supernatural toughness (mainly used to protect from elements and exhaustion): Catch: only works while wielder is hollering
+3 item of power rebate
-1 total cost
0: it is what is is: this object consists of two large wooden boards, attached by two ropes, and must be worn over the shoulders to work. The boards are painted with appropriate doomsday signs.  Due to the supernatural toughness, the user suffers no real ill effect from shouting at the top of his lungs for hours at near-zero temperatures.
Note: when worn with tinfoil hat, only one item of power rebate applies.

[-2] Vitamin W
A combat drug that causes the body of the user to create a number of chemicals. These chemicals are useful, but likely to harm the user.
[+1] Rebate
[+1] Side Effects (Treat as Feeding Dependency, but use Endurance and the physical stress track)
[-1] Synthetic Adrenaline (Treat as Demonic Co-Pilot, but use Endurance and the physical stress track)
[-1] Addictive Saliva
[-2] Venomous Sweat (Like Venomous Claws, but without the claws)

[-1] Crown Of The Iron Spires
An ornate iron crown that grants rulership of the Iron Spires, which is a region of the Nevernever.
[+2] Rebate
[-1] Demense
[-1] Improved Demense (Attacks with Demense power are weapon 2)
[-2] Swift Transition (From anywhere to the Iron Spires, and then back where you came from)
[+1] No Mortal Home (It sends you to the Iron Spires if you fall unconcious)

[-2] Temporal Accelerator
A small gadget that slows down time around the user.
[+1] Rebate
[-2] Inhuman Speed
[-2] Inhuman Recovery
[+1] The Catch (No total recovery, just faster healing)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 16, 2011, 11:13:01 PM »
I'm actually working on a possible item of power for my Son of Thor character (Othmundr Thorson, professor of mythologoy).  Since his trouble is that he freed Loki and he has a bit of a magical bent, I was thinking he was prophesied to be someone that battle evil magic.  It was crafted by Brokk and Eiti, the dwarves that crafted Mjolnir and other artifacts.  Thor gave a lock of his hair, which was fashioned into the handle, Odin blessed the iron used for the head of the hammer with good magics.  The dwarves toiled for three days crafting the hammer, which is known has Hvíturgaldur (that means White Magic in icelandic).

I'm kinda limited in how many points I can put into it, so I was thinking the following:

-2 (It's a two-handed warhammer).
Skills Affected:  Weapons, Others
Musts:  You must have a destiny or calling to use the Hammer, represented by a template or aspect.  You must be able to craft magical items or use magic that protects, dispels, heals and use wind and lightning.  (You do not have to be GOOD at all of these things just capable).
Effects:
Protector of White Magic:  Hvíturgaldur purpose is to oppose black magic and defend white magic.  If it is ever attempted to be used to break any of the laws of magic, harm an innocent, destroy good magical works, and empower evil magical works, then the act automatically falls and the bond between the wielder and the Hvíturgaldur is broken.  It can only be restored by a magical ritual wherein the wielder cleanses and purifies his body and soul.

It's a Warhammer:  Hvíturgaldur is a large, two-handed warhammer (weapon 3).

True Aim:  When used in keeping with its purpose, Hvíturgaldur grants a +1 bonus to the user's weapon skill.

Unbreakable. As an Item of Power, it cannot be broken, save through dedicated magical ritual predicated upon perverting its purpose.

Inscriptions:  Hvíturgaldur is designed to carry and wield magical enchantments.  It has 4 enchanted slots that may be used for the same or different abilities as the user wishes (including one-use effects as per potion rules).  These effects are limited to ones involving some aspect of storms (due to Thor's infleunce), or protecting, dispelling, or healing.

Potential Focus:  Focus Slots may be used to turn the hammer into a focus.  It can only be used as a focus for magics relating to storms, protection, dispelling, or healing.

Something Else:

I figure the focus thing is essentially a 0, Inscription is -1 (a type of refinement), and True Aim is -1.  Seems like it should having something else, but another level of Inscription seems a bit much, so I am not sure.

Maeve's Locket +1
   granting
 Unseelie Magic -4*
 World Walker -2
Total Cost -5*

Notes: I made this for a friend that wanted a were-(polar)bear emissary to Maeve and wanted an IoP to go along with his deal

Hunter's Spear +2
   granting
 inhuman speed -2
 The Magic of The Hunt -4*
Total Cost -4*

Seven League Boots

A pair of ancient and battered leather horseman’s boots, worn butter-soft.  Tooled leather is readily apparent on the leg, sides and cuff.  It was obviously an expensive pair of boots, and well loved and lived. 

The Seven League Boots are a well known piece of European lore, about a pair of boots that enable the wearer to take strides of seven leagues—or 21 miles.  The origin of the legend is thought to have come from horse-couriers, whose feet only touched the ground when they swapped out their tired horse for a fresh one. 

One Time Discount [+1]

It Is What It Is.  The boots are just that: a nice pair of old-style horseman’s boots, possibly belonging to a noble cavalry officer or courier. They are soft, snug and oh-so-comfortable.

Unbreakable: The boots are indestructible save through a dedicated magical ritual that would pervert their purpose—probably something along the lines of binding or imprisoning. 

Imparted Abilities.  There are two different versions of the Seven League Boots abilities: Speed and WorldWalking.  A combination of the two is also distinctly possible.

Version One: Speed
Mythic Speed [-6]
The Boots grant Speed such as is only known in myth—myths often featuring the boots themselves. 
Total Refresh Cost -5

Version Two: World-Walking
Swift-Transition [-2]
World-Walker [-2]
This version of the boots is a tad more literal to the legend of 7 League strides, as short hops through the Nevernever are easy to accomplish, and crossing the globe in a short walk is also simple. 
Total Refresh Cost -3

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 16, 2011, 11:13:51 PM »
Minor Abilities

Size Doesn't Matter...: -1 (-2)?
Effect: You may wield any weapon regardless of might or endurance requirements.  Tripod support weapons? No problem.  Zweihanders? Child's play. Boat mounted  6 or 8 gauge shotguns for duck hunting? All are within the realm of possiblities for you.

...But It Sure Does Help: requires above power -1     
Effect: Most any weapon you can manage to hold one handed you can wield in combat..also one handed.  (likely quite abusable with two weapon training stunt)

No Matter The Strength [-2]

The Might bonus from strength powers and the Athletics bonus from speed powers do not aid characters in escaping your grapples.

No Matter The Power [-2] (Requires No Matter The Strength)

Your grapples automatically satisfy the catch for all toughness powers other than Physical Immunity.

-2 Elemental Weapon
Musts: An Aspect Related To The Power
Skill(s): Weapons
The user is able to summon a two-handed weapon made of an element of his choosing. A claymore of fire, a greataxe of ice, a hammer of rock, and a spear of lightning are all possible.
Effects
Large Weapon: Your Elemental Weapon is a large weapon, rated at Weapon 3.
Always at Hand: Your Elemental Weapon requires no sheath. It can be summoned to your hand for a Supplemental Action, and dispelled as a free action.
Attuned: Your Elemental Weapon is attuned to you. If it leaves your hand, whether dropped, thrown, or disarmed, it will vanish. A Supplemental Action may summon it to your hand again.
Made of the Elements: Your Elemental Weapon may fulfill Catches if thematically appropriate.

-1 Elemental Mastery
You may now summon two different weapons of differing elements, if you so choose.

-1 Elemental Control
When using your elemental weapon, gain a +1 to all rolls using it.

-1 Elemental Armor
You can extend your weapon's element into an armor that coats your entire body. It is automatically Armor: 1 versus most physical harm, and +2 versus the same element.

Gambler [-1]
Description: You have the ability to manipulate probability in a limited way. But it's far from risk free; in fact, the risk is the reason that it works.
Effect: At any time you may pay any number of fate points to make a bet with the GM. If the GM rejects the bet, you get your fate point(s) back. If he accepts and you win, you get back twice the number of fate points that you paid. Some GMs may allow odds other  than double or nothing, but they are in no way obliged to.

Uncontrolled Power [+1]
Description: You character cannot control his or her powers.  Maybe they react to emotional distress, or some other subconscious cue.
Notes: This is a one time discount applying to however many powers the character cannot control.  If the character has more than -4 Refresh in uncontrolled powers, this discount raises to a +2.

[-0] Lesser Immortality: You do not need to eat or drink and do not excrete wastes. If you possess ‘Hunger Dependency’ you must still satisfy it as normal.

[-3] Immortality: As lesser Immortality in addition you cease to age and remain permanently at the age of acquiring this ability (EX: A man in his mid-twenties will always look like he‘s in his mid-twenties even two thousand years later), and cannot be aged magically. You are also immune to all poisons and diseases, both magical and mundane, and do not need to breath.

Undying [-0]
Deathless. Unless utterly destroyed or killed by special means, you will eventually recover from any fatal wound. No "death" result is ever permanent unless special means are used (as determined by your creature type).
Estranged. Most people around you feel uncomfortable, as if they can tell that you are different from others. Take a -1 Penalty on all Rapport and Deceit based maneuvers or attacks you make.

Impossible Jumps [-1]
Description: Gravity doesn't seem to apply to you the way it does to normal people. You can jump like a video game character when you want to.
Skills Affected: Athletics
Effects:
Superhuman Leap. You get +4 to all athletics rolls made to jump.
Limited Antigravity. You are completely immune to falling damage. You never need a running start to jump properly.
Double Jump [-2]. You can jump off of empty air. When rolling for jump distance, you may roll twice and add the results. When jumping during a conflict, you can remain in midair for a full exchange. Furthermore, you can dodge normally in midair.
Goomba Stomp [-1]. You can hurt someone pretty badly by jumping on them. You can use your athletics skill to attack in melee. If combined with double jump, you may skip an action in order to remain in midair for an exchange and reroll the attack.

Hyperspace Arsenal [-2]
Description: You seem to be able to fit an entire warehouse in your pockets. No-one’s really sure where stuff goes when you’re not using it.
Skills Affected: Might
Effects:
Hammerspace. You can carry a full load (as determined by your might) without hindrance in an extradimensional compartment. The compartment exists outside time, so everything in it stays exactly as it was when it was put in.
Improved Hammerspace [-2]. You can carry much more than a full load in your extradimensional compartment. Add 8 to your might to determine the capacity of your compartment.
Secure Hammerspace [-1]. Nobody but you can access your extradimensional compartment. Metal in it doesn’t trigger metal detectors and so on. If you are unconscious or dead, the compartment cannot be opened at all.

Stonewalk [-1]
Description: You can move through rock, stone, and most earth-based substances with ease. Either you are a strong and fast digger, or you can literally pass through stone like a ghost. You are assumed to be able to navigate as you go, but to actually be able to sense through solid substances, you need to take an appropriate Supernatural Sense.
Musts: You must have a high concept that would justify this power, such as Earth Elemental, or Subterranean Behemoth.
Skills Affected: Athletics.

Effects:
Passwall. You can ignore stone, rock or earth-related zone borders of up to 3 shifts. You still need to make a movement or supplemental action to cross the zone.
Death from Below! You can ambush your opponents by hiding below the ground, near the surface of a stone- or rock-based zone border, or even above a tunnel, and springing from your hiding place when they get too close. You get a free +2 to your Stealth roll once per scene to set up an Ambush (page 142). You can usually detect when your target is in position, but if they are using Stealth, you get a +2 to your Alertness roll to feel them approaching if they are in contact with the same surface that is hiding you. You may use a Fate Point to invoke this ability additional times in the same scene, but you must make a movement or supplemental action in order to get in position (per the Passwall effect) to make another Ambush. You can use this ability to Ambush your opponents several times, but if they survive this ploy long enough they may find ways to take advantage of your predictability. To use this ability, you must select zone borders which you would be able to pass using Passwall.
Stonefeint [-1]. If you take this upgrade, you get a free +2 to one Attack roll per scene if there is significant stone or rocky terrain for you to use to your advantage, You may use a Fate Point to invoke this ability additional times in the same scene. To use this ability, you must select zone borders which you would be able to pass using Passwall.
Greater Stonewalk [-1]. If you take this upgrade, you can ignore 6 shifts of stone, rock or earth-related zone borders.
Epic Stonewalk [-2]. Take this upgrade instead of Greater Stonewalk. You can ignore 9 shifts of stone, rock or earth-related zone borders, and you can make an Athletics check to tunnel through any remaining shifts.
Tunnel [+1]. Your ability to move through stone relies on burrowing, and you leave a tunnel behind you as you go. This can be an advantage for allies, but it can also lead pursuers straight to you. You also make noise as you move through the earth, which won't necessarily negate the first use of Death from Below!, but may interfere with any subsequent uses of that ability. You also leave telltale furrows, cracks or lines as you pass. Using this ability places the scene aspect Unstable Tunnels, which can be tagged by anyone. This cannot reduce the total cost of your Stonewalk abilities below -1.

Displacement [-1]
Description: You are not where you appear to be. A glamor or other optical effect obscures your true location, making it difficult for opponents to properly target you.
Musts: You must have a high concept that would justify this power, such as Cloaked Malk, or Nevernever Mugger.
Skills Affected: Athletics.
Effects:
Missed Me, Missed Me. You gain a +2 bonus to your Athletics for the purpose of defending against attacks. This bonus does not require your attention or concentration: should you be successfully ambushed, this bonus will remain, granting you a minimum Athletics of Fair (+2). You may also use this bonus to any Athletics check to perform a maneuver intended to confound or disorient an opponent. If you take a Full Defense action, this bonus is increased to +4.
Blinking [-1]. When you purchase this upgrade, your power is not an optical effect: you are actually changing positions rapidly during combat, by stepping back and forth between the Nevernever and the real world. In addition to the Missed Me, Missed Me effect, you may set up an Ambush (page 142) as a supplemental action every round. However, anyone who can simultaneously perceive the real world and the Nevernever is immune to this effect.

Edit: it will be up to the GM how to handle any complications of the Nevernever aspect of Blinking. The simplest answer is that Blinking creates a sort of proto-Demesne wherever it happens to be, which does not in itself attract (or make it vulnerable to) any of the Nevernever denizens which may be coterminous with that current location.

Special Techniques [-varies]
Description: Supernatural martial arts moves, more or less. A staple of any decent fighting manga.
Effect:
Special Techniques - When you take this power, choose fists, weapons, or guns.  Then pick a number of techniques from the technique list equal to the number of refresh points you spent on this power. Whenever you make an attack with the chosen skill, you may spend a fate point to add the effects of one of your chosen techniques to the attack.
Technique List
Long Range Strike. The range of this attack is increased by 2 zones. (This works for melee attacks).
Armor Piercing Strike. This attack ignores all of the target’s armor.
Area Strike. This attack hits everyone in the target zone (except yourself).
Rapid Strike. You can make a number of attacks up to your skill with one action. Each attack suffers a penalty equal to the number of extra attacks made.
Brutal Strike.  The attack suffers a -1 penalty but inflicts 5 extra stress.

"Noob security systems" (requires IP?... Please) [-1]
If you access the network inside of a building using your "IP?...Please." power, you will be able to see the layout of all the security systems.  For the price of a fate point, you can temporarily turn them all off as well.

Traceing -2:
You can manifest any non-balistic weapon you have seen as a supplemental action. With this ability you can buy Modular Abilities which can be used to represent the imbued abilites of any items of power you are copying. Like True Seeming’s you are limited to only manifesting one item at time.

Strategist of the Gods [-1]

Description: During battle, you connect to your allies on an almost telepathic level.  Under your guidance their actions are like that of a well-oiled fighting machine, flowing from one enemy to another.

Musts: Must have a supernatural high concept related to tactics, battles, or war (i.e., "Son of Ares").

Effect: During combat - and without their input - you may direct the actions of allies.  This directed action must be described simply and within their abilities (attack that foe, grapple the large one, trip the fast enemy, etc).  Your allies need not follow this action, but if they do they are given the temporary aspect of "Guided by (Player Name)".  This aspect may be tagged for free once during the combat; but subsequent uses require the use of a Fate Point.  This aspect will be removed if you move out of range of the tactician (greater than 2 zones away).

Antimagic Field [Minor Power; -1]
Antimagic Field: Evocation spells cast within your zone inflict one extra mental stress on the caster.

Shadow Manipulation [-1]
This reminds me of some powers I helped set up for a shadow-user I GMed.
Dark Void -1
Effects: You can increase the shadows within a zone. Add the aspect sticky aspect Increased Shadows, by using discipline. This can be opposed by a counterspell.
Myrrk Void: Your shadow-increasing skills rival the Myrrk itself. Give a +1 to attempts to create shadows, and add the aspect Near-Myyrk alongside Increased Shadows.
Shadow Warp -2
You can travel from shadow to shadow with a distance up to one zone. This requires no roll, but in order to escape into the shadows while being attacked use Athletics. When emerging from the shadows, roll stealth against all nearby enemies' alertness. If you succeed, you gain a relevant aspect. If not running away, you may then make an attack as a supplametal action. (Yes, you can warp into an enemy's shadow).

Shadow Manipulation [-1]
Description: You are able to use your shadow to physically manipulate objects, not only that but your shadow is malleable to your will. You can stretch it across great distances or coalesce it into a small area.
Options: This ability costs 1 refresh to start and has several upgrades to it.
Skills Affected: Fists, Might
Effects:
Shadowy Hand. You can manipulate objects with your shadow. You can lift objects in accordance with your might, and attack using fists. Each zone away from you reduces the effectiveness of your might and fists roll by 1. The closer you are, the more effective your shadow is. Using your shadow on something in the same zone as you is easier, and you gain a +1 bonus to any such roll. In addition if you possess inhuman strength or greater your shadow gains those benefits as well.
Deeper Shadows [-1]. Increase the weapon rating of attacks made with your shadows by +2.
Lasting Shadows [-1]. Your shadows take longer to dissipate, allowing you to spread your attention across a battlefield. Any aspect placed with Shadow Manipulation automatically becomes sticky.
Wall of Shadows [-1]. Your shadows have become so dense, so impenetrable that creatures without the cloak of shadows ability are almost utterly incapable of seeing past them. You may use your Shadow Manipulation to create a defensive block opposed by alertness.
Shadows Fall [-1]. Your shadow is capable of growing much larger than it should be, allowing you to attack a whole zone with it (at a -2 penalty).

Inhuman Balance [–1]
Description: You have an uncanny ability to balance on small surfaces.
Skills Affected: Athletics, Stealth
Effects:
You can stand on and walk along ropes, cables, and narrow ledges without a problem. You also take no penalties for running through uneven terrain as you carefully pick your way through the stones and roots over which most others would trip. You aren't a spider, however, and cannot hold your footing against extreme weather conditions or flying demons trying to disrupt you, but you do get a +2 to skill checks to stay situated.

-2 Immaterial Edge (+2 weapons rating, this blade ignores the first 2 points of armour and also counts as the catch for ghosts and other disembodied spirits.)

-0 Manifested Blade (As the blade is not truly of the mortal world keeping it in this world requires mental effort, summoning the item for a scene requires a point of mental stress at the end of the scene unless another point of stress is taken the item will disappear until summoned again.)

-2 Spiritual Weapon ( As a weapon designed to sever the soul from the body its blows do more than physical harm, the blade can cause mental stress instead physical stress, anyone taken out this way will die as their soul is separated from their body leaving no signs of physical harm.)

Vogon Poetry [-1]
Description: Your poetry is so bad that it renders the spirit of all who here it causing extreme agony
Effect: Lethal Poetry Performance When reciting poetry you have written yourself you do mental damage to all in the area including yourself, treat as a performance attack to everyone in the area.

Phantom Slashes [–2] - You can choose when the damage of your attacks come into effect, this allows you to stack stress so that it all comes in to effect at the same instant or choose that it never comes into effect. 

[-1] Emperor Blessed Tech - All ritually consecrated tech wielded by a Grey Knight is immune to being hexed.

Transcendent Music [-4]
You can play an instrument with a level of skill and subtlety that you can almost make rocks cry and sooth the hearts of the darkest of people.

Superlative Musician: +4 to normal performance rolls with your instrument of choice
Listen to my Song: you can play an instrument so well that all in the area will stop and listen (a zone wide mental grapple at your performance skill to stop doing anything but listen to the music)
The Soothing Song: Whilst people are listening to your music they recover from mental consequences on step quicker than usual. (Inhuman Mental Recovery)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2011, 11:14:25 PM »
Nevernever Powers

Bound Spiritual Entity [+3]
Description: You are a spiritual entity imprisoned in a physical object, you have no body, and cannot act in the physical world without a bearer.
Effect:
Unbodied. You cannot take physical skills, you cannot move yourself, and you cannot communicate verbally and other neat things.
Communicate with Bearer. You are able to telepathically speak with the bearer of the object you are tied to.
License to Possession. If you have the domination ability, you qualify for the possession upgrade, and you can possess your bearer.
Called to Bearer [-1]. You have the ability to tie yourself to the bearer of your physical prison, and you can teach them to call your prison to their hand.

Possess Corpse [-2]
Description: You are a spiritual entity, and lack a body, though that does not mean that you can't acquire one (slightly used). You have learned to possess a corpse, allowing you to make use of the former owners skills and abilities.
Musts: You must have a high concept that reflects your predilection for possessing corpses, and you must have a way to become insubstantial (and attach this power to it).
Effect:
Inhabit Corpse. When you inhabit a corpse you gain a limited form of the Mimic Ability power (restricted to what the corpse has to offer). You have a number of form points equal to the amount of refresh you have invested in Possess Corpse and the method by which you become insubstantial in order to Inhabit the body.
Living Dead. The bodies you inhabit are still dead. While Inhabiting a Corpse you gain access to the Living Dead power.
Advanced Inhabitation [-Varies]. You have expanded your ability to take advantage of the corpses you inhabit. Refresh invested in this upgrade is accounted towards your total mimic points as per the Inhabit Corpse effect (see above).

Dream or Reality [-2]
For you the lines between Dream and Reality are blurred, so much so they are almost non-existant. You live just as much in the world of fantasy as you do on planet earth. You are able to bring your control of your Demesne into the mortal world. You are able to shape reality to your whim.
Skills Affected: Discipline
Musts: Demesne
Effects:
Sculpt Reality. You can alter reality as if you were in your personal Demesne, though not as freely as you would be able to in the Nevernever. You can roll Discipline to place scene aspects as normal, and can even use discipline to physically attack using the (now) mutable nature of the zone against your opponents. However, your attacks are all weapon: 0. Any change you make is impermanent, and reverts to its original state at the end of the scene, however, you may spend a fate point to make a change permanent (or more, at the GM's discretion).
Rapid Eye Movement. When you use this power your eyes flicker back and forth as if you were sleeping.
Illiteracy. You are unable to read, it is not because you do not know how, it is just that your brain is unable to correctly identify the symbols on the page. If you somehow loose access to this power, you will be able to read (if you were previously able to).
Improved Sculpting -1. Your attacks are now treated as Weapon: 2.
Powerful Sculpting -1. Your attacks are now treated as Weapon: 4, and any scene aspect you place is automatically made 'Sticky'.

Psychic Abilities

Incite Emotion trappings:
Emotion Burst [-1]: Requires At Range trapping. You may take a -2 penalty to your roll in order to have Incite Emotion affect everyone in a zone.
At Long Range [-1]: Requires At Range trapping. You may use Incite Emotion on a target up to three zones away
Resonant Emotion [Incite Emotion Upgrade; -1]
Musts: Lasting Emotion
Attacks and blocks made with Incite Emotion gain a +1 bonus, and aspects placed with Incite Emotion maneuvers are automatically sticky.

Heart-String Virtuoso [Incite Emotion Upgrade; -1]
Musts: Resonant Emotion
When tagging an aspect placed with your Incite Emotion power, you gain a +1 bonus, for a total of +3.

Emotional Control [Incite Emotion Upgrade; -1]
Musts: Incite Emotion
You may use Discipline instead of Deceit or Intimidation for your Incite Emotion power, and gain a +1 bonus when doing so.

Incite Crowd [-1], upgrade to Incite Emotion
You may use Incite Emotion against multiple targets simultaneously, as per the Spray Attack rules, splitting effort between targets, or, for a -2 penalty, against everyone in the zone you occupy, excluding yourself if you wish.  The benefit of this upgrade cannot be used in conjunction with the benefit of At Range.  Though you may possess both and use them both, you cannot use them both in the same action.

Telepathy [-2]

Description: Maybe you access a part of the brain most people never use, maybe your a genetic aberration or scientific experiment; regardless of the exact biological explanation, the effect is the same... you can read minds. You are not a minor talent, focused practitioner, or any other form of magic wielder, your ability is biological. Despite this fact, some crazy zealots calling themselves "wardens" may not give you time to explain that fact before attempting to remove your head.
Musts: Either a template or aspect denoting your ability with the non-magical psychic arts is required. Magic and Psychic powers (the real ones, not the magical imitations) don't play well together. In the event that any mortal magic power (Evocation, Thaumaturgy, Channeling, Ritual) is taken, the character must remove the Telepathy power and regain all refresh spent on it. It is recommended that Sponsored Magic follow the same rule, although the final decision for any specific sponsor is left to the group.
Skills Affected: Conviction (page YS:124), Discipline (page YS:127), and Empathy (page YS:129)
Effects:
An Open Book. People are easy to understand when you can hear the thoughts they project into the world. Gain a +2 to Empathy and any time requirements are decreased by one shift. Where appropriate targets defend with Discipline instead of the normal social skill.
Dig A Bit Deeper. Some say a person's trash is the best way to learn about them, they're wrong. When using this ability you connect your mind to that of your target, allowing access to thoughts below the surface. At the same time, some of your thoughts and emotions will bleed over into their mind. You may spend a fate point to stop your thoughts from entering the targets mind; however, the target may also spend a fate point, in which case you will not gain any of their thoughts. In the case of NPCs that have no fate points, roll Empathy defended by the target's Discipline to determine if the player gains any information. This skill can not be used more then once per scene. A fate point must be spent on any attempt against a target after the first.
Mind Trick. These are not the droids you are looking for. By rolling Empathy defended by a target's Discipline, you may place a simple suggestion into their unconscious mind. There is no explicit limit to the number of times this ability may be used on a single target, but it is highly recommended that NPC targets receive an increasing bonus to their defense roll on each attempt after the first.
Mental Fortitude [-1]. Taking this upgrade will grant two additional boxes of mental stress capacity (page YS:201).
Mental Fortress [-1]. If this upgrade is taken, you naturally have Armor:1 against all mental stress.
Psychic Strike [-2]. Purchasing this upgrade turns your mind into a weapon. Discipline may be used to make a direct psychic attack, dealing mental stress and consequences. The victim may defend with Discipline, however counter-attacks are not generally possible. Regardless of the success or failure, the attacker takes an automatic point of mental stress each time this ability is used.

Telekinesis [-2]

Description: Not all is magic and mysticism, the human body holds many wonderful secrets of its own. Your secret is the ability to move objects with the power of your thoughts. Regardless of the specifics of your power's source (evolution, chemistry, mutation, technology, etc) magic is not it. Your ability is "natural" and doesn't cause repercussions from the Laws of Magic, although those know as "wardens" generally don't take the time to ask questions if they think you have broken one of the "laws".
Musts: A template or aspect related to your status as a telekinetic is required.
Skills Affected: Conviction (page YS:124) and Discipline (page YS:127)
Effects:
Mind Over Matter. Why use muscles when your brain can do the heavy lifting. Might is replaced by Conviction for the purposes of lifting things with your mind. When attempting to throw an object or make a direct kinetic attack with this ability, Discipline replaces Weapons and Fists respectively.
Thoughts Take Flight [-1]. You may not have wings, but that doesn't mean you can't fly. Many kinds of borders (page YS:212) are reduced or eliminated and you are able to travel through zones (page YS:197) vertically. The Discipline skill is used to govern flight in the same way that Athletics is used for running.
Kinetic Defense [-2]. Your telekinetic power is great, manifesting in a persistent shield around you granting Armor:1 against physical attacks. When performing a Full Defense (page YS:199) this bonus becomes Armor:2.

Haruspicy [-2]
Reading the entrails of sacred animals (dependent on cultural or supernatural heritage) is more of an art than a science. The ability to divine omens from the liver, heart, etc. functions like Cassandra's tears - without the Catch, but with much more viscera.

Holistic Sense [-1]
Description: You are in tune with the fundamental interconnectedness of the universe. You can draw accurate (if bizarre) conclusions from seemingly random phenomena that bear no obvious relation to the matter you are considering.
Musts: You must have a high concept that would justify this power, such as Holistic Detective, Zen Master, or Protector of the Balance.
Skills Affected: Scholarship, Investigation, and others as appropriate.
Effects:
The Butterfly Effect. You can make an Assessment check using any skill you possess, with only a tenuous justification. The only requirement is that you vary your skills, selecting a different skill with each Assessment. If you opt to use the same skill a second time in a row  (presumably your best skill), you get a -2 to your check.

Mind Meld [-1]
Description: You have the ability to possess someone in a benevolent way. Having you in one's head is a good thing, since you can help but not exert control.
Musts: You need some way to become insubstantial in order to enter the target's body.
Effects: When someone is possessed by you, they gain the full effect of any powers or stunts you have. What's more, they may use your skills instead of their own.
Co-Pilot [-1]: The person possessed by you gains the effects of the Demonic Co-Pilot power with you as the demon.

Mnemosyne's Shadow [-2]

Description: Normally filed beside similar abilities like Cassandra's Tears and Prescience, with Mnemosyne's Shadow you learn things without previouse experience or exposure to the subject matter. You literally pull knowledge out of thin air. You Know things....

Billy: "Where does their knowledge come from Bob? "

Bob: "That's still being debated. Mnemosyne is just the popular theory. It could be any number of things including a form of ranged Psychometry or a version of The Sight."

Skills Affected: Lore

Musts: Must have a High Concept or Trouble that reflects the ability and can be compelled frequently. Examples: The High Concept Mnemosyne's Errand Boy  or the Troubles Knows Way Too Much or Insufferable Know-it-all.

Effects:

Strange Knowledge: You can use your Lore Skill to get Answers about a subject for a Scene. The difficulty of the Lore check set by the GM should reflect not just how general the knowledge is, but also how secret it is. However, you can't control the breadth or the accuracy of the information gained. You almost always get fairly random knowledge in addition to what is being looked for.  For example, if you use the Shadow to gain knowledge about a Clued-in Mobster you may get information about not only his known aliases, but also his shoe size, favorite foods, number of sexual conquests, etc. If using it to find out the combintation to the safe, you might get every combination the safe has ever used and the significance of the digits to the safe's owner.

Dangerous Knowledge: For a price, you can get potentially "Game-breaking" pieces of knowledge such as the Dark Sorcerer's True Name. The Price is negotiated with the GM the same way as an escalated compel. Information such as this that could potentially break a storyline could be worth as little as a few Fate Points or as much as a Serious Mental Consequence.

The Hidden Voice [-1]
You can speak directly in to the mind of anyone you see as long as you have eye contact with the target and it is capable of thought.

Disembodied Voice [-1]
You may use this power on targets up to one zone away without looking them in the eye.

Thought Mimicing Voice [-2]
You can mimic the a persons internal voice, unless they realise the deceit (empathy roll) there defense against
your social attack defaults to 0.

Prophetic Visions [-1]

Bits and Pieces: Once per scene, this character may roll Lore against a target of Good (+3) to make an assessment or declaration regarding the scene or a character in it.  This represents flashes of insight and relevant info being pulled out of the character's otherwise difficult to interpret visions.  For an Assessment, the GM determines what aspect is revealed, while for a Declaration, the player may invent a suitable aspect, so long as the GM and other players approve. These aspects may be tagged/invoked as usual. This ability may not be used repeatedly to assess/declare aspects regarding the same character encountered across multiple scenes.

I've Done This Already: In exchange for a Fate point, this character may roll Lore in place of any other skill, except as an attack in combat.  This represents a vision in which the character sees himself performing the action in the future, so he already knows what to do.

Major Prophecy: The GM has license to give this character a major vision, usually about once per session, describing its contents and possibly asking for a Lore or other roll to interpret it.  These visions tend to reveal one or more important but vague aspects that exist in every scene until the prophecy is fulfilled.  The player is encouraged to remind the GM of this power, as it can provide good plot hooks and potentially compels on the character's reactions to these visions.

Short-term precognition -2
Description: Your can see a few a moments into the future
Must: You must have Cassandra’s Tears

Pre-emptive Evasion: your dodging checks are made at a +2
I saw you coming: you have a + 4 to alertness check to avoid ambush

Skills Effected 
Athletics, Alertness and some other physical skills

[-3] EYE OF PROVIDENCE

Description: You see all things as they really are, within limits.
Type: faith powers, order powers, supernatural heavyweights within their domains
Musts: A high concept that relates to knowledge and/or limited omniscience.
Effects:
True Sight You have The Sight. You are immune to mental stress induced or transmitted through vision such as observing the true form of eldritch horrors, seeing horrendous nightmares or facing the gaze of Black Court vampires.
[-2] Farseer: Your vision gets a lot fewer penalties with distance. If the "Eye of Providence" ability costs a total of 3 points, you can see as well as small, amateur telescopes and strong binoculars; observing people a dozen miles away is easy. If it costs 5 or less, you can see as well as most optical telescopes; observing things at the other side of a country is easy - seeing astronauts on the surface of the moon is a bit harder. If it costs 7 or less, you can see as well as the best mortal technology. If it costs the full 9 points, you take no distance penalties at all.
[-2] You Cannot Hide: Your vision penetrates normally opaque objects such as walls; they appear transparent to you.
[-2] See Past The Currents of Time: You can observe events without lightspeed delay, as if the light did not have to cross the intervening distance. Maybe your vision picks up magical or cosmic signals. Maybe your power snatches images as soon as they are generated. Whatever the reason, your sight is always realtime.
The Catch: Most beings with this ability are somehow limited in what they can perceive either in amount or nature. +2 rebate if you can observe only one event or location at the same time - such as a clarvoyant seeing a single room in the next continent or a Dark Lord being able to see only one battle at a time despite having unlimited range and being able to see through objects. +1 rebate if you can observe up to 100 events or locations at a time. If you can see more than 100 things at a time, you get nothing. +2 rebate if the nature of what you can see is very narrow or unimportant - like being able to see for only 1 minute each day, or only observe one bloodline or see all people that are currently scratching their nose. +1 rebate for less narrow sight or greater importance - like being able to see for many minutes each day, or only observe a major city or small country or see all mischief done by young children. More open sights or greater importance give you nothing.
The Catch is usually a +0 instead of no catch at all for very broad or still existent limits such as seeing all things ever written by man, or seeing all enemies of Asgard or seeing all deaths. Only major supernatural heavyweights whose powers are Knowledge, Foresight and the like (such as the Fates, a major deity of Wisdom or the Archangel known as the Watchman) have near-omniscience, even omnisciense limited to the present.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2011, 11:15:10 PM »
Shapeshifting

Quick Shifting [-1]. You can modify your form pool as a supplemental action instead of a full action (see Supplemental Actions, p 213).  Musts: Modular Abilities.

Flesh Forgery [-2]
Musts: True Shape Shifting
Key Skill: Weapons, Fists
You are a Sword and as weapon you come with your blade pre-attached you can use the Material of your body to make any simple +3 weapon or less, the weapons you create other than being made out of your Hardened Flesh act exactly the same way as normal weapons except you can use either fists or weapons to wield them and changing the shape of your weapon can be done as a Supplementary action at the Usual Penalty of Minus 1.

Symbiosis of Spirit -0 (requires Demonic Co-pilot)
Description: You and the demon possessing you are no longer two separate individuals but are instead a symbiosis of man and demon neither truly one thing nor the other, this requires a apropriate High Concept. You no longer have to take mental stress when acting according to your co-piolot's agenda as it is now your agenda, but any action that actively goes against your co-pilots agenda also threatens your gestalt, when doing so, you must roll Discipline against the result as if you were defending against an attack. Failure to succeed in this roll means you take mental stress and any consequences are chosen by the GM showing the friction between you and your co-pilot.

Speed

Kulan-Do
You know the secret martial art of Kulan Do. (riposte for fists). This requires inhuman speed or better, and cannot be identified by martial artist, unless the person with martial artist also has Kulan-Do.

Advanced Kulan-Do
You have mastered the upper levels of Kulan-Do. You may riposte by rolling against the opponents athletics (or other physical damage taking stat) -2, and afterwards still take your action. This requires supernatural speed and Kulan-Do, and cannot be identified by martial artist, unless the person with martial artist also has Kulan-Do.

Master Kulan-Do
You are a master of Kulan-Do, and may riposte with fists normally, and then take your action. This has all the trappings of Advanced Kulan-Do, and requires it.

Secrets of Kulan-Do.
You know the deepest secrets of this art, and can make a redirected force style manuever, a riposte-style attack, and then a normal attack. Requires mythic speed, all three Kulan-Do skills, and a very high position in the Jade Court. No outsider can learn this, and if any does, the Jade Court will hunt him/her down. To take this ability, one must also rename one of their aspects to reflect, to reflect their mastery of this art. If they are not jade court, they must rename it to reflect the fact that they are hunted by the Jade Court (unless there is a very special exception made by the Jade Court Leader).

Spellcraft

Fomor Magic [-0]
Description: You're a Fomor, not a human. Your magic reflects that.
Effect: Your magic is never impeded or removed by the presence of running water. Instead, you suffer penalties when casting magic in areas that lack water almost entirely, like deserts or indoor areas without running water.

Blood Magic [Spellcraft; -1]
Musts: The ability to perform evocation
Blood Magic: You may substitute physical stress for mental stress inflicted by your own evocations. When using this power, it's all or nothing; you must choose to take all mental stress as physical stress, or none.

Focused Study [–0]
Musts: Channeling and/or Ritual.
Description:  Experienced focused practitioners learn in time how to refine and focus their abilities, gaining a deeper understanding of their one particular area of study.
Skills Affected: Discipline, Conviction, Lore.
Effects:
Intense Focus. You have chosen to focus heavily upon one particular application of spellcraft. When you take this power you forever give up the ability to upgrade Channeling to Evocation or upgrade Ritual to Thaumaturgy.
Focused Specialization. You may now choose to gain specialization bonuses when buying the Refinement power.

Focused Mastery [-1]
Musts: Focused Study
Description: With experience comes eventual mastery. A few focused practitioners have learned how to unlock their full potential and gain an incredible amount of mastery over their chosen area of spellcraft.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Effects:
Esoteric Lore. You roll Lore at +1 when dealing with magic particular to your area of focus (as determined by your element, ritual, or theme).
Potent Specialization. You no longer need to structure your specialization bonuses for each ability according to the same “column” limits for skills (see page 65). You still cannot have any specialization bonuses higher than your Lore skill.

Rote Reliance [+1]
Musts: At least one rote spell.
Description: You aren't very good at improving with your magic, preferring to stick to a few well rehearsed and known spells.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Discipline, Lore
Effects:
Improvisational Block. You suck at casting any spell you haven't worked out ahead of time. When casting  non rote spells, consider your Conviction and Discipline to be 2 steps lower than the actual ratings.
Total Reliance [+1]. You are totally reliant upon a few well rehearsed spells. The only spells you can cast are rote spells. When casting such spells you must roll to control the power as if you were casting them normally.

Signature Spell [-1]
Musts: At least one rote spell.
Description: You are well known for one spell in particular. You might be a one trick pony, but it's a damn good trick!
Skills Affected: Discipline, Conviction, Lore.
Effects:
Choose one of your rote spells when you buy this power. This spell then becomes your signature spell and gains the benefits listed below when you cast that spell by rote. You may only have one signature spell at a time. At the game masters discretion you may be able to change your signature spell after a Significant or Major milestone.
Efficient Spellcraft. You've refined one spell so greatly that you can cast it with incredible efficiency. When determining the mental stress cost (page 250) of your signature spell, consider your Conviction to be 1 step higher than its actual rating.
One Last Spell. You've learned to keep a little bit of energy in reserve for your favorite spell. You may spend a Fate Point instead of taking metal stress when casting your signature spell.

[-3] Spell-like Abilities
You have 2 spell-like abilities you can use twice per day each - or you may use one by taking a 1-point mental stress hit. You aim SLAs with Discipline or an other thematically appropriate skill. Their power is equal to your Conviction or your Lore, whichever is higher, and you can have any Evocation or Thaumaturgy effect as an SLA. However, once chosen those abilities are fixed and cannot be changed. You may lower the Power of an ability when initially chosen by a number to increase its number of uses by the same number - though it still costs 1 point of mental stress to use.
[-1] Improved Innate Magic
You have more varied spell-like abilities available than normal. Each time you take this ability, you get four new SLAs, each one following the same rules as your original SLAs. Instead of new SLAs, you may take an existing SLA more than once, adding up the total number of uses.
[-1] Potent Innate Magic
Your innate magic is stronger than normal. Each time you take this ability add 1 to the Power and number of uses of each SLA you have. You may take this ability a number of times equal to your Lore or Conviction.

Spell-Like Ability [-1]
Description: You have the ability to cast one spell.
Musts: Nothing more than any other power requires.
Effect:
Spell-Like Ability. Design a spell with complexity or power equal to the higher of your Conviction skill and your Lore skill. You may cast that spell as an evocation rote.
Potent Spell-Like Ability [-1]. Add two to the power of one of your spell-like ability. This does not increase the difficulty to control it.

Healing Light [-2]
Description: By channeling your supernatural energy into somebody else you allow them to begin the healing process, and may even help them recover to perfect health.
Skills Affected: Conviction, Scholarship
Effects:
Starting Recovery. You may use this power to make scholarship declarations to justify the start of natural recovery from physical consequences, just as if they'd gone to a doctor or the hospital.
Healing Pool. You have a pool of healing power equal to your conviction.
Healing Surge. You may spend a fate point to allow somebody to recover from all of their physical consequences up to severe as if they where a mild. Subtract the value of the highest consequence so affected from your healing pool.
Healing Backlash. At the end of the scene you must roll against a hunger attack with a value equal to the number of negative points in your healing pool. If you have used other powers attached to your feeding dependency during the course of the scene, this (positive) value is added to the overall strength of the hunger attack you would suffer from use of your powers instead.

Natural Channel [Spellcraft, -1]
Musts: Channeling; taking this power prevents upgrade into Evocation
Natural Channel: Your magic is more then your soul's expression; it soaks into your bones, flows through your blood. You may use Endurance in place of Conviction and Fists in place of Discipline for spellcasting. This physical harmony is not without danger, however; the mental stress of spellcasting becomes physical stress, bypassing any Toughness powers or similar defenses

Rune Magic [-4]: Standard Sponsor Benefits, 12 Rune Item Slots (equivalent of Enchanted Item Slots) if paying at -4 (If given a cost discount for Evocation or Thaumaturgy, it loses four Rune Item Slots for each point). These slots can be used to emulate any Evocation or Thaumaturgy effect, but may only be used for Rune Magic Items or Consumable Runes (although Enchanted Item Slots may also to pay for Rune Magic Items or Consumable Runes). A Rune Magic Item works and functions the same as an Enchanted Item (pre-prepared items) and a Consumable Rune works and functions the same as Potions or other Consumables (one-use runes). No channeling (all magical effects are done by using the Rune Item Slots). Others may use Rune Magic Items without using an extra slot to make it usable by others.

Rune Item Slot = Enchanted Item Slot
Rune Magic Item = Enchanted Item
Consumable Runes = Potions/Consumables

Yuletide Magic [-4 Refresh]

Drawing on the power of the Saint Nicholas, you’re able to cast spells that fit his essential nature: warmth and coldness, charity, protection, travel, and power over secrets. These magics are under the sway and watch of Saint Nicholas himself; making use of it will inevitably catch his notice.

Cost: As normal Sponsored Magic

Effects: Standard Sponsored Magic benefits, including counting as an Evocation element, allowing evocation spell effects that encourage or make use of warmth or coldness, charity, protection, travel, and a power over secrets. In addition, Yuletide Magic may be used to duplicate Conjuration or Warding effects at Evocation speeds and methods, and receives a +1 bonus to Control and Complexity on Conjuration. Yuletide Magic’s Evocations always includes either warmth or cold in some way, depending on the element being used.

Boon of the Fisher King.
Though today he seems to be little more than a senile old man, the Fishers King is in fact a very old and very powerful faerie. He is remembered in the mortal legends of Bran the blessed and king Arthur - the wounded monarch on which the vitality of the land depends, his life sustained by the magic cauldron that can restore the dead to life. Later the title fisher king was tied into the Christian idea of Jesus as the fisher of men, and the legends interwove into the tales of Joseph of Arimathaea and christianised. All things considered it's not surprising the poor guy doesn't really know who he is any more.

In the legends with his vitality curtailed by his wound, the monarch is surrounded by a wasteland. The return of the cauldron (or grail) by his questing knights allows him to hold back the decay and the land live again once more. But it is a never ending battle and can only be achieved with the help of those who can share his vision and enact it- alone he is still the wounded impotent king.

The Fisher King is fond of sending his people on quests which allow them to test themselves and discovered powers, skills and talents that have been lying dormant with in them. Thus he assists them to learn more of themselves and fulfil their full potential. As a result the creative powers of the king are now focused on inspiring the people around him - consider it similar to the Greek muses. And this is the power he gifts to those of his court,

Sponsored magic
Description: The spells performed under the power of the Fisher kings boon derive from the questing and 'muse'. They also have a certain level of healing that is drawn from the cauldron of life; though most of that power is being used elsewhere (see the pool of LIFE section)

Cost: 4 (- the usual reductions if you have evocation or Thaumaturgy but most of those using this magic are Faerie or changelings and thus won't benefit from the discount.)

Benefits: Where as the powers of the courts of the queens focus on evocations, the Fisher king is more Thaumaturgy orientated. For example;

•Conjurations to allow the 'visions' to be shared and ideas to be prototyped,
•Divination to assist in the quests,
•Crafting of items of power so chosen mortals can be gifted the ability to excel.
There is also a massive amount of psychomancy going on, as the mortal artists and scientists that attract the attention of the Faerie are 'inspired' to greater achievements in the goal of driving back the wasteland.

Limitation:  The power is derived from the Fisher King, it is essentially creative, any attempt to carry out an activity that would expand the wasteland, or discourage a mortals creativity would clash. Destructive spells would only be appropriated as 'self defence' -or defending a protected mortal, or one of their creations.

Toughness

Inhuman Stoicism [-2]
Description: Your mind is abnormally stout, withstanding far more abuse then the average human.
Musts: No protection against self-inflicted attacks or stress is provided. You must attach this power to an appropriate mental Catch (page YS:185).
Skills Affected: Conviction (page YS:124), other mental skills.
Effects:
Hard to Twist. You naturally have Armor:1 against all mental stress.
Hard to Break. You have two additional boxes of mental stress capacity.

Supernatural Stoicism [–4]
Description: Your mind can handle trauma that would normally destroy a person.
Musts: This ability replaces Inhuman Stoicism. No protection against self-inflicted attacks or stress is provided. You must attach this power to an appropriate mental Catch (page YS:185).
Effects:
Harder to Twist. You naturally have Armor:2 against all mental stress.
Harder to Break. You have four additional boxes of mental stress capacity.

Mythic Stoicism [–6]
Description: The durability of your mind is beyond the mortal scale.
Musts: You must have permission to purchase this ability. This ability replaces Inhuman or Supernatural Stoicism. No protection against self-inflicted attacks or stress is provided. You must attach this power to an appropriate mental Catch (page YS:185).
Effects:
Nearly Impossible to Twist. You naturally have Armor:3 against all mental stress.
Nearly Impossible to Break. You have six additional boxes of mental stress capacity.

Inhuman Mental Resilience (-1)
You add 1 to your mental stress track. There is no catch vs this power, and you can not take other powers that would increase your mental stress. (Stoicism for instance.)

Supernatural Mental Resilience (-2)
Add 2 boxes to your mental stress. This power otherwise acts like Inhuman Mental Resilience.

Mythic Mental Resilience (-3)
Add 3 boxes to your mental stress. This Power otherwise functions like inhuman mental Resilience.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2011, 11:16:12 PM »
True Faith

Home is Where You Make It [-1] This character carries his threshold with him, he may, with or without any special objects, setup a threshold with a value of two given adequate time to prepare (5-15 minutes). If the threshold is being setup in the open, then the size is up to the GM. It can be used to strengthen the existing threshold of a building by one. This power stacks with "Bless this House".

Faith Healing [-2]
Musts: You must have taken the Guide My Hand and Righteousness powers in order to take this ability.
You may use your Conviction skill to declare justification for your own or another character’s recovery from moderate or severe consequences of any type, even without access to proper facilities, given time to pray and (for another character) lay hands upon the character in question. In addition, you may spend a Fate Point to allow another character to heal from a Consequence as though it were one level lower in severity. So, the subject would recover from moderate consequences as though they were mild, etc. Consequences reduced below mild are always removed by the beginning of a subsequent scene.

Holy Magic -1
Musts:  At least one aspect, preferably the High Aspect, has to explain the innate holiness of your magics
Must have Holy Touch, Righteousness, and either channeling, evocation or sponsored magic.
Your evocation attacks, maneuvers, blocks and defenses are treated as "Holy", as in the Holy Touch ability.

Holy Weaponry [-1]
Description: Your sacred power extends beyond your body to envelop the weapons you wield.
Musts: You must have the Holy Touch power in order to purchase this one.
Effect:
Holy Weaponry. You may apply the effects of Holy Touch to weapons that you wield.

Miracle Man [-1]
Description: You are able to perform old school miracles, but at great cost.
Effect:
Bargain For Miracle. Negotiate with your gm for an appropriate cost in fate points for each miracle you perform. This power is potentially limitless in scope, given enough fate points.

[-2] Aegis Daemon Shield - Your very presence, backed by the force of your rock solid Faith, is anathema to Supernatural beings of malicious or ill intent. Effects; The Emperor Protects. You may spend a Fate Point to create a shield of True Faith around yourself and your zone. This shield functions as a zone border with a value equal to the user's Conviction against all supernatural creatures that oppose the user, reduces the power and control of evocations that target characters inside of it by the user's Conviction, and reduces all stress inflicted by the natural attacks of supernatural creatures that oppose the user to characters inside of it by the user's Conviction. This effect only lasts one exchange, but it can be extended indefinitely at the cost of a supplemental action each exchange.

Vampirism

Fountainhead of Blood [–2]
Description: You've somehow managed to cut the metaphysical ties that exist between master and servant. You are no longer beholden to the Red King, and are a sovereign in your own right.
Musts: When you gain this power, you must change your High Concept to reflect your new status as the fountainhead of a new bloodline of red court vampires.
Skills Affected: Discipline, Social Skills.
Effects:
Self Control. Your control over the thirst is unparalleled, you gain +1 to your Discipline when using it defensively.
Deeper Reserves. You are the most powerful vampire in your bloodline. Add two boxes to the length of your hunger stress track.
Liege Lord. You are the fountainhead of a new bloodline of red court vampires. Any social skills used against other vampire courts or bloodlines gain a +1 bonus. Increase this to +2 when dealing with members of your own bloodline.
Improved Feeding [-1]. If you purchase this upgrade you gain a +2 (instead of a +1) on subsequent attacks after causing your enemy to bleed, in a grapple you do two extra stress instead of just one. You may also use the Taste of Death of effect of the Blood Drinker power twice per scene instead of only once, however you must spend a fate point to use it the second time.

Mana Locust (Vampirism; -2)

Detect Magic: Within your zone, you may attempt to detect the presence of magic (defined as effects created by or individuals possessing Spellcasting Powers) via an Alertness or Investigation roll. Success provides awareness of the presence of magic, and identifies individuals with Spellcasting Powers if you are already aware of them.

Magic Drain: Whenever an effect created by a Spellcasting Power originates from or targets your zone, its effectiveness is reduced by two shifts.

Mageslayer: Add +1 to close personal combat attacks made against characters possessing Spellcasting Powers.

Mana Plague (Vampirism; -1)

Musts: Mana Locust

Magic Drought: Magic Drain reduces three shifts of power.

The Taste of Death: Once per scene, if you inflict enough stress and consequences from feeding to kill a character with Spellcraft Powers, you may take an immediate "free" recovery period equal to an extra scene.

Area Drinker -4

The character leeches upon the vitality of their surroundings as a whole:  people, animals, plants, and all.  Each day, they roll Conviction to feed - this affects a radius in zones equal to ten times the numberical value of the numerical value of the result on the ladder (and the character must remain within this area for the whole day) - the affected area takes on an Aspect of "Depleted," which can be compelled and invoked to cause illness and decreptitude, and against the healing of physical consequences suffered by inhabitants (inhabitant being defined as someone who last slept in the affected area).  The effect is cumulative if multiple characters with this power feed.

Manipulate Dream -2

This power allows the character to incite or alter a target's dreams. In general, this is a contest of Deceit vs the victim's Discipline - success allows the character to lay an Aspect on the dreamscape, which can be tagged or invoked to ease further manipulations, or the use of other powers such as Dream Vampirism. Aspects on dreams can be environmental ("everything grows dark"), emotional ("everything is inexplicably frightening"), or an incorporated element or monster ("beware the jabberwock"). [Mortals can take a Lucid Dreaming stunt for Discipline, which allows them to use this power on their own dreams, which counters the manipulations of others]

Dream Vampirism -1

This is carried out using the same system as Emotion Feeding, using the vampire's Decit vs the victim's Discipline - as the name implies, it can only be used on a target who is currently dreaming - however, any Aspects laid on a dream by the Manipulate Dream power can be tagged or invoked to benefit feeding. Some Dream vampires draw on emotional energy, while some siphon life force more directly - the only mechanical difference is that the former inflicts psychological stress and the latter physical - decide which one this character does (they can't pick and choose).

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 17, 2011, 05:25:13 AM »
I think that Dangerous Aura, as written, is underpowered if anything. It requires a huge amount of refresh to make it into a real threat. And I like it that way.
My main concern with dangerous aura is how it doesn't seem to cost an action to do.  Being able to punch everyone in your zone when you make a fists attack is probably only a -1 upgrade.  Being able to punch everyone in the face without taking an action is probably exploitable.

What's the problem with Kulan-Do?
Probably just that I was tired while reading it, and couldn't actually figure out what it did.  Wrapping rules text and 'fluff' together like that can lead to extra confusion.  Will take another crack at it later.

My reading of the Hidden Voice is that it defeats language barriers and eavesdropping. My reading of Thought-Mimicking Voice is that it allows social ambushes.
My impression was that it set the other guys defense to zero as long as he couldn't beat your deceit roll, which could last a lot longer than a single ambush attack.  It it only let you get off a single attack, then it probably wouldn't be that bad.

Offline crusher_bob

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 17, 2011, 06:21:07 AM »
Extra Appendages [-2]
Think it's slightly underpowered for -2.  Just gaining the ability to make spray attacks with anything is probably only -1, since spray attacks give their own disadvantages.  

Mana Locust (Vampirism; -2)
May be slightly overpowered.
Detect magic seems to be an upgrade of what you can normally do with lore (am assuming the range is one zone) in that you can both use it at range and you don't reveal yourself when you use it, like you do when you are a practitioner and you touch someone, so it's probably worth [-1] by itself.

Area Drinker -4
May be too expensive.  It lets you place a maneuver on a very large area, on the other hand, it takes you a whole day to do.  As a way of making the place you hang out have favorable aspects, I could just take a day to make mundane use of my skills to give me some aspects to use.  And it's probably not useable offensively,  Even if I can reliable get, say, a +7 result on conviction, that's only around a few hundred feet in radius.  That's pretty big, but not, say, enough to effect a whole small town or something.

Kulan-Do
OK, trying to figure out this one again.
Is this what it is supposed to do?
Lvl 1 [-1]
Musts:
Inhuman or better speed
Effect:
Once per exchange, when you defend against a melee attack, you can choose to roll your defensive skill at penalty -2.  If you successfully defend, despite the penalty, you are able to make a riposte style attack with fists, using your reduced defense roll as the base without needing to expend your normal action

Lvl 2 [-1]
Musts:
Supernatural or better speed, Lvl 1 Kulan-Do
Effect:
You no longer take the -2 penalty to defense.

lvl 3 [-1]
Musts:
Mythic speed, Lvl 2 Kulan-Do
Effect:
You are no longer limited to one 'free' riposte per exchange.  You can attempt to make a (fists) riposte attack for every melee attack you receive in the exchange.

Elemental Weapon [-2]
Heh, this feels a bit more like what breath weapon should have been.  Weapon: 3. range one zone, gets bonus damage from strength powers.  

Not sure about the worth of the Elemental Mastery upgrade, but the other two look OK to me.

A note on Wings
Now that I've seen other movement powers, flight is actually probably a bit too cheap.  It might be worth it to add a small disadvantage to flight, so that the other -1 movement powers won't come off so badly in comparison.  How about making flying be a supplemental action?

Hvíturgaldur
Putting enchanted items or foci into items of power should probably mean that the other players should force you to pay for more than your share of the pizza, or something.

But as for other ideas of what the hammer could do:
Mr Wednesday’s (Odin) 18 charms  For general magicyness
The Rígsþula for some possible ideas about guiding and protecting mankind.

You can also take a look at the different swords (Balmung, Cortana, Durandal, etc) forged by Wayland Smith and see if there's anything worth mining in there.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:34:51 AM by crusher_bob »

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 17, 2011, 09:59:11 PM »
About Extra Appendages: would the ability to make spray attacks with only one target balance it out? By the way, I'm starting to wonder about the fairness of Excellent Coordination when purchased multiple times and used on massive spray attacks. Thoughts?

I don't think that your impression of Kulan-Do is accurate. However, it might just be a better idea than what's actually written.

And thanks for the links.

Offline InFerrumVeritas

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 17, 2011, 10:08:21 PM »
Extra Appendages [-2]:
Requirements: Appropriate High Concept.
Effects:
Multiple Targets. You may make spray attacks with anything, within reason.
Mix And Match. You may use multiple different weapons in a single spray attack. Use the lowest applicable skill. You may also make attack-like maneuvers as part of a spray attack.
Excellent Coordination [-1]. For each purchase of this power, add 1 to the accuracy of each attack or maneuver within spray attacks that you make. This cannot increase accuracy beyond the number of shifts that you had to split up between attacks in the first place.
Coordinated Attack [-1].  When attacking a single target, you add 1 to the accuracy your attack or maneuver. 

I think when done this way, it is worth -2 (because you can maneuver and attack in the same round albeit vs. different targets).  I think the ability to make spray attacks against only one target would be fine.  However, Excellent Coordination shouldn't be able to be used that way.  I think the exorbitant cost of it (-3 is expensive for a very situational +3) balances it out (and am okay with this as cheaper would be overpowered).