Author Topic: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)  (Read 162298 times)

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
Re: Custom Powers Master List (Work In Progress)
« Reply #180 on: November 27, 2011, 11:01:43 PM »
DISPLACEMENT [-1]
Description: You are not where you appear to be. A glamor or other optical effect obscures your true location, making it difficult for opponents to properly target you.
Skills Affected: None
Effects:
Missed Me, Missed Me. Your uncertain location makes it difficult to target you in combat. All attacks against you are subject to a strength 3 block. You may suppress or unsuppress this effect as a free action.
Too Fast To Hit. Moving quickly makes your displacement more effective. Add 1 to the strength of the block from Missed Me, Missed Me for each level of Speed that you possess.
Enhanced Displacement [-1]. Add 2 to the strength of the block from Missed Me, Missed Me.
Invisibility [-1]. You are invisible, simple as that. The block from Missed Me, Missed Me is now treated as a veil rather than as a block against attacks. It does not impede your ability to see at all.
Blinking [-1]. Your displacement is not just an optical effect.  You are actually inconsistently tangible. You may treat all physical blocks, including grapples and zone borders, as if their strength was less than it actually is by a margin equal to the strength of the block from Missed Me, Missed Me.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: November 27, 2011, 11:41:30 PM »
I think that the various benefits of Transcendent Music would be better as separate powers. The healing effect could work as a general healing power, the Performance bonus is better handled with stunts, and the grapple effect doesn't necessarily have to be connected to Performance. It's the grapple effect that I'm rewriting here.

CAPTIVATE [-2]
Description: You command attention. With a woven glamour or an irresistible song, you can make men stand and stare at you while people shoot them.
Skills Affected: Deceit, Performance
Effects:
Captivate. When you take this power, choose either Performance or Deceit. You may use your chosen skill to perform a mental grapple against everyone present in a scene at once by tagging or invoking an appropriate scene aspect. This works the same way as a physical grapple using Might except that it inflicts mental stress instead of physical stress and places aspects on the scene instead of the grappled character.
Selective Captivation [-1]. You may choose not to affect any number of characters when using Captivate.

Offline devonapple

• Posty McPostington
  • Parkour to YOU!
    • View Profile
    • LiveJournal Account
« Reply #182 on: November 28, 2011, 06:46:59 PM »
DISPLACEMENT [-1]

That could work! I liked the addition of Too Fast to Hit. Here are my minor grammatical edits:

Description: You are not where you appear to be. A glamor or other optical effect obscures your true location, making it difficult for opponents to properly target you.
Skills Affected: None
Effects:
Missed Me, Missed Me. Your uncertain location makes it difficult to target you in combat. All attacks against you are subject to a strength 3 block. You may suppress or resume this effect as a free action.
Too Fast To Hit. Moving quickly makes your displacement more effective. Add 1 to the strength of the block from Missed Me, Missed Me for each level of Speed that you possess.
Enhanced Displacement [-1]. Add 2 to the strength of the block from Missed Me, Missed Me.
Invisibility [-1]. You are invisible, simple as that. The block from Missed Me, Missed Me is now treated as a veil rather than as a block against attacks. It does not impede your ability to see at all.
Blinking [-1]. Your displacement is not just an optical effect: you are actually inconsistently tangible. You may treat all physical blocks, including grapples and zone borders, as if their strength was reduced by a margin equal to the strength of the block from Missed Me, Missed Me.
"Like a voice, like a crack, like a whispering shriek
That echoes on like it’s carpet-bombing feverish white jungles of thought
That I’m positive are not even mine"

Blackout, The Darkest of the Hillside Thickets

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: November 28, 2011, 10:01:37 PM »
Unsuppress isn't a word, is it?

I appreciate the rewrite.

Offline ways and means

• Posty McPostington
  • What Lies in the Truth, what truth in the Lies.
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: November 28, 2011, 10:27:46 PM »
Captivate seems good, I am a little worried that the upgrade might unbalance the power a bit (allowing an area effect that doesn't effect allies) but otherwise it seems fine. A little sad to see the mental healing effect stripped but I can see your logic.
Every night has its day.
Even forever must come to an end....
I think.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: November 28, 2011, 10:43:15 PM »
It is a bit worrying. Like many of these powers, it needs playtesting.

And don't give up on the mental healing! It'll be back!

But with 4ish healing powers on the list I figured it'd be best to collect them all into one power.

Any ideas on how the healing power could work?

My initial thought is a 2 refresh power that lets you pick a skill and a consequence type. You roll it against the consequence value, with success accelerating healing by one step.

If nobody else has any brainstorms, that's probably what I'll go with.

Offline SithLordJoe

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: November 28, 2011, 11:49:45 PM »
I suppose I could do something like that.

Though I can't actually move to the Resources Board myself. Only a mod can do that.

Anyway, a few powers caught my eye while I was compiling that list. I'm going to take a stab at rewriting them now. And I'm going to ask the original authors for input while I do it.

The powers I have in mind are Displacement, Transcendent Music, and Spiritual Weapon.

Given all the work you do on you're own behalf for the Resource Board I think limited bartender powers for Resource are honestly more then warranted, if only to make life easier on you when you do all this cool stuff.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: November 29, 2011, 06:27:51 AM »
Very kind of you to say so.

It probably would not be worth it, though. The Resources board only requires mod attention once in a while. And whenever I report something to do with it, the mods do something within 10 minutes.

So no need. But it made my day to hear it.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: November 29, 2011, 06:37:48 AM »
Missed Me, Missed Me. Your uncertain location makes it difficult to target you in combat. All attacks against you are subject to a strength 3 block. You may suppress or resume this effect as a free action.

Incredibly powerful in a Feet In the Water game.  Nearly useless in a Submerged game.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: November 29, 2011, 10:10:34 PM »
You sure about that?

Fantastic defences at Feet In The Water are certainly impressive, but not game-breaking.

And Good defences at Submerged are certainly unimpressive, but not useless.

Offline computerking

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
    • Into the Dark
« Reply #190 on: November 29, 2011, 10:29:15 PM »
You sure about that?

Fantastic defences at Feet In The Water are certainly impressive, but not game-breaking.

And Good defences at Submerged are certainly unimpressive, but not useless.
Especially when you roll -4 Athletics in an ambush
I'm the ComputerKing, I can Do Anything...
Into the Dark, A Podcast dedicated to Villainy
www.savethevillain.com

PS: %^#@ Orbius. This may or may not be relevant to the discussion, but whatever.

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: December 02, 2011, 11:19:17 PM »
Thinking about the adaptation of Spiritual Weapon.

Would people accept a -1 upgrade to Natural Weaponry that made the weapon inflict mental stress instead of physical?

How about a -2 power that lets you make mental attacks unarmed or with personal-scale weapons?

Neither would allow Strength to add to damage.

I think that these powers would be roughly balanced against Incite Emotion. But I'm far from sure.

Speaking of which...I should probably revise the Incite Emotion upgrades together with Spiritual Weapon.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: December 02, 2011, 11:42:27 PM »
What might be more preferable would be to attempt to create and balance a single (modular) power capable of simulating all such basic innate attacks.
Even Chaotic Neutral individuals have to apologize sometimes. But at least we don't have to mean it.
Slough

Offline Sanctaphrax

• White Council
  • Seriously?
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2011, 12:21:22 AM »
Well...

that's kind of what I'm trying to do with Natural Weaponry. But Incite Emotion exists and I have to deal with that.

Offline Tedronai

• Posty McPostington
  • Damane
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2011, 12:35:42 AM »
The implication was that some rebalancing of Natural Weaponry would be inherent to the task of accommodating Incite Emotion into a unified modular power rather than just tacking on yet another modular option.
Slough