Author Topic: Cursed by a Boring Character  (Read 1842 times)

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
Cursed by a Boring Character
« on: May 05, 2011, 09:46:15 AM »
Some friends and I have been running a Dresden game for several months now, we've completed two and a half stories at this point and since we're doing the campaign rotary style I'm currently in the storyteller position.  I've come to a realization however, one that I should have noticed before.  My character, while interesting to me and mechanically sufficient is, I think, boring to the other players.  It isn't that they don't like her as a character, but there's nothing about her that says "Hey, my back story is something you want to play with!"  So I'm looking for some advice to the folks here (and of course if my fellow players wish to chime in I'd love to hear from you too) as to how to remedy this.

Mechanically she's basically a self aware Buffy clone, she's a young actress and martial artist who had the bad luck of being attacked by a White Court Vampire and the good luck of being bad ass enough to fight him off while one of her friends was filming.  4 million YouTube hits later she came up with the clever idea of having her buddy follow her around while she went on patrol to hunt down creatures of the night.  Over the course of the next year she built a moderate amount of fame, although always under the guise that the weird stuff in her videos are actually special effects and that she is just an actress, when she got involved with a rag tag group (the other PCs) who were dealing with a powerful Wizard in the midst of a doomsday plot.  The fight with the wizard culminated in our fallen angel character surrendering himself to his divine nature to gain the power necessary to defeat the wizard, and in doing so planted part of his mortal soul into my character (who's name is Sarah by they way).  This represented a major readjustment for her character, she had been pure mortal but through this connection gained Marked by Power (with intention of her gaining more powers at a later date).  Substance wise that's her story so far, so I already know that one thing she needs is a strong external threat to give her a better story hook (I've come up mostly playing games with few people interested in role playing so have the habit of making my characters stories very internal). 

At the moment these are Sarah's aspects.
High Concept: Angel Faced Action Star
Trouble: Blood on My Hands (this also came from that first adventure, Sarah killed one of the Wizards we were fighting and is having difficulty dealing with the moral and potentially legal implications of that action.
Dad's Old Bomber Jacket
Go Full Buffy
In Media Res

My Useless Brother Jason (this one I intend to change as the PC it refers to has since left the game, likely to something referencing her ever present camera man)
Protector of the Sword of Wrath (will likely become an IoP at some point, but the sword the fallen angel wielded)

Our game is set in Seattle, there are no obvious large scale threats we've established as of yet with the exception of a ghoul community living under the city.  I'm open to any suggestions.

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
Re: Cursed by a Boring Character
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2011, 10:39:24 AM »
Pissed-off WCV family that want revenge for being shown up in film?

The filming thing definitely has potential, as people who're in the know may well realise that those aren't special effects. Remember, not all supernaturals make technology fail- the White Court in particular seem rather fond of it, in some cases...

Offline Tallyrand

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2011, 10:45:40 AM »
Pissed-off WCV family that want revenge for being shown up in film?

The filming thing definitely has potential, as people who're in the know may well realise that those aren't special effects. Remember, not all supernaturals make technology fail- the White Court in particular seem rather fond of it, in some cases...

Weirdly the idea that other creatures (white court or otherwise) might come across her videos and be unhappy never occurred to me.  Mental block I guess.  Seems like a good angle to throw into an aspect...just have to think of a strong enough phrasing.

There's a Fine Line Between Celebrity and Target
In Demand and Easy to Find
hmm....

Offline deathwombat

• Conversationalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2011, 11:16:18 AM »
Youtube,youdie
Bad typists untie!!!!

Offline MorkaisChosen

• Participant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2011, 11:20:25 AM »
Vampires Use Google Too?

Offline BumblingBear

• Posty McPostington
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 01:24:41 PM »
Uhhh...

I'd think that if vampires saw some slip of a girl kill their relatives on youtube, she had quite a few pissed off supernatural nasties after her.

Imagine watching a girl kill your relatives on youtube and then celebrate it.....
Myself: If I were in her(Murphy's) position, I would have studied my ass off on the supernatural and rigged up special weapons to deal with them.  Murphy on the other hand just plans to overpower bad guys with the angst of her short woman's syndrome and blame all resulting failures on Harry.

Offline charlesperez

• Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2011, 04:51:29 PM »
I'm leaning toward this character's Trouble aspect being "The Buffy of YouTube - For Real", or some variant thereof. That is the most obviously interesting - and problematic - thing about her. "Blood on My Hands" probably belongs as one of her other aspects, rather than as her main Trouble, unless it actually ends up overshadowing the YouTube Buffiness of her. Then, see how much hay you and the other players can make out of that one Trouble aspect, story and back story, before dismissing her as boring. Other posters have brought up the issue of who might want her dead because of what millions can watch over the Internet. There is also the issue of what happens to those close to her, especially while the action is happening, starting with the cameraman.

For a more personal kind of interesting, think of why she keeps doing this, especially when it isn't necessarily safe for her or for her close confederates; come up with a motivation for her that grabs you. Does she like the fame, or the rush of excitement? Is she discovering a heroic streak within her? Don't bother to think her motivation through, because she probably hasn't. Just use ongoing play as a vehicle for saying, "How about now, when a wizard's blood is on your hands, and part of his soul is in you? How about now, when [insert dramatic escalation here]?" Then see what happens to her motivation. Is it affirmed, refined, rejected? Is it replaced by a more mature motive, maybe a more grim one? Play to see what happens, and have fun with it.

Charles